Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sawyer Mini Filter and Gravity System.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Sawyer Mini Filter and Gravity System.

Old 10-10-21, 03:25 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I just got home from a canoe trip, will post an update on filter later. But since I am the OP on this thread, am now responding to recent comments.
Thanks for the comments.I have avoided using stoves in truly cold conditions (never below the teens F) so I found the cold weathe comments interesting. Not sure if I'll ever snowshoe camp again. I do love snow, but I am in Florida now and am getting old.

I see you have a new photo.
Yeah, not very new, it goes back a few years, but new to here. I got tired of seeing that heavily loaded bike.
Old 10-11-21, 06:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
ADDENDUM:

First photo, recently got back from a week long canoe trip in Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Minnesota. The Sawyer filter and Evernew bladders that I used for my gravity system worked great. (Fortunately, I am dumb enough to use a Sawyer.) The canoe paddle appeared to be about the right height to hang the upper bladder for my gravity system, so used that.

If you are more patient, less hydraulic head can be used to gravity filter, in this case I just set the upper bladder on a downed log, thus the upper bladder was not much higher than the lower bladder. Most but not all of the water from the upper bladder eventually was filtered. It took maybe three times as long as when I hang the upper bladder much higher.

I commented that I used Evernew bladders in part because I heard good things about them.

But, I met someone on the trail that told me that he was quite unhappy with his Evernew bladders. He picked up his brand new full two liter size bladder and the top of the bladder parted with the rest of the bladder, thus the top was broken off and the bladder unusable. I do not know what he did exactly or how he grasped it, but I suspect he picked it up by the orange threaded cap or the threaded top of the plastic block that is attached to the two sheets of plastic that form the bladder. Thus, the two kg of water weight likely tore the bladder plastic sheets off of the plastic block. I grasp the bladder with my fingers pressing on that bladder sheeting against the plastic block, as shown in the photo.

This other photo is a cautionary note to not twist the bladder at the threaded top, note the text in the photo printed on the bladder. Based on that, when I pick up the bladder as shown in the previous photo, I appear to be grasping it about on the white dot that is shown below.

I should probably point out here that when I set up my gravity system, I ALWAYS have the lower bladder sitting on a solid surface. If I tried to hang that lower bladder using the plastic hose for support, I would fully expect something to come apart, perhaps the bladder but but more likely the hose where it is attached to a threaded fitting.

Off topic - my "antique" Optimus 111B camp stove. The respray I did a few years ago makes it look almost new. Photo was in the very early morning, I played with exposure settings on the camera to highlight the heat of the burner head and flame while I impatiently wait for my coffee water. This is the stove that I bought in the early 1970s. It works as good today as it did back when I bought it.

Earlier when I suggested that you should check all your critical equipment before a trip, when I commented that my tent fly needed seam sealing because the taped seam was failing, someone suggested that tent flies have never had taped seams. The taped seam in the photo was flaking off during my trip, but my seam sealing on the other side of the fly before the trip did an adequate job to keep the water out.

And a bit of scenery from my trip, shortly after sunset on an windless evening with clear sky.

Safe travels everyone.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-11-21 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 08:20 AM
staehpj1

But, I met someone on the trail that told me that he was quite unhappy with his Evernew bladders. He picked up his brand new full two liter size bladder and the top of the bladder parted with the rest of the bladder, thus the top was broken off and the bladder unusable. I do not know what he did exactly or how he grasped it, but I suspect he picked it up by the orange threaded cap or the threaded top of the plastic block that is attached to the two sheets of plastic that form the bladder. Thus, the two kg of water weight likely tore the bladder plastic sheets off of the plastic block. I grasp the bladder with my fingers pressing on that bladder sheeting against the plastic block, as shown in the photo.

This other photo is a cautionary note to not twist the bladder at the threaded top, note the text in the photo printed on the bladder. Based on that, when I pick up the bladder as shown in the previous photo, I appear to be grasping it about on the white dot that is shown below.
Sounds like they require a fair amount of care in handling. That may be a reason for some who won't take that care to avoid them. It is also possible that they may fail even if that care is taken, but my guess is that in this case it is a matter of whether or not you are willing to take pains to properly handle it or not. Then again if another brand is more rugged...
Old 10-11-21, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
ADDENDUM:

…(Fortunately, I am dumb enough to use a Sawyer.) …
I’m not dumb enough to be burned twice. I said nothing about you.

I commented that I used Evernew bladders in part because I heard good things about them.

Maybe he should have “tested it at home” so that he would never, ever, ever have an issue with equipment while away from home. Maybe he was just imagining he had a problem. Maybe he should have consulted a psychic before he went so that he would never suffer an equipment problem while out in the wild. At the very least he should run out and by six of these bags because he’ll never have a problem with them again.

And heaven forbid that he ever mention to others that he had a problem because there will be 10,000 Monday morning quarterback telling him where he went wrong or that this item will never, ever, ever fail. It’s not like there’s some kind of design flaw that acknowledged by the maker. The “Please hold dot” kind of says all that needs to be said.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-21, 09:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Sounds like they require a fair amount of care in handling. That may be a reason for some who won't take that care to avoid them. It is also possible that they may fail even if that care is taken, but my guess is that in this case it is a matter of whether or not you are willing to take pains to properly handle it or not. Then again if another brand is more rugged...
I do not think that it needs that much care in handling, but it is a flexible couple pieces of plastic attached to a stiff piece of plastic. I basically fill them to do my gravity filter, and that is about it. During the day they are typically empty in my pack. I did have to hike to a campsite that had no water source, so I carried about three liters in my backpack using those bladders, but the bladders went on top where they would not be squished or poked.

If you want a rugged two liter container, maybe buying a two liter bottle of soda pop and and keeping the empty when you finished it off is a better bet. Or the one liter Smartwater bottles or one liter Life WTR bottles, but twice as many. I use these one liter bottles on my bike for bike tours because they fit in the cages nicely.

But "care in handling" is a subjective term that means something quite different to different people.
Old 10-11-21, 10:32 AM
staehpj1

But "care in handling" is a subjective term that means something quite different to different people.
Indeed. I think I'd be fine with them. I know folks who need bullet proof gear and manage to break that.
Old 10-11-21, 02:11 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

I also have to say that the Sawyer Squeeze is about the only piece of outdoor equipment that has failed me. Even my bicycles haven’t had any serious problems while on tour.
Not true, you won't let a Continental tire anywhere near one of your touring bikes or has that changed ?

Had to chuckle about the nearby Denver reservoir dropping precipitously after testing your Sawyer if you were ever to use one again.
Old 10-11-21, 05:21 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by robow
Not true, you won't let a Continental tire anywhere near one of your touring bikes or has that changed ?
Forgot about that those. Yea, they have failed me more times and I kept trying them. At least it took less time to learn my lesson on the filter.

And, you are correct that I won’t use Continental tires at all.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-30-22, 06:54 PM
Tourist in MSN

ADDENDUM ADDED JULY 30, 2022:

In the first post where I started this thread I said this:

6 - Someone on this forum commented before that his attempt to use the Sawyer filter was a disaster. He bought the filter, tried it at home, and it worked great. He then put the filter in storage, and months later went on a trip where he had very poor flow. In that forum thread, others suggested that his problem was that he did not back flush the filter first. I test every thing that could mess up one of my trips before I go. In my case, I bought the filter, it worked great. The filter then sat on the shelf for 23 months in my home with water in the filter. And during my pre-trip test I had poor gravity flow through it 23 months later while still at home. I then did a robust backflush, and the filter then worked much better.
Today, while packing for a backpacking trip, dug out my Sawyer filter. Hung it up with some water in a bladder for gravity flow and it was VERY slow after being in storage for 9 months. Did a robust backflush using municipal tap water and had great flow through it.

I think it is clear, after you store your Sawyer or similar type filter, before using it you should do a robust backflush to make sure you get good flow before your trip.
Old 07-30-22, 09:30 PM
cyccommute 

ADDENDUM ADDED JULY 30, 2022:

In the first post where I started this thread I said this:

Today, while packing for a backpacking trip, dug out my Sawyer filter. Hung it up with some water in a bladder for gravity flow and it was VERY slow after being in storage for 9 months. Did a robust backflush using municipal tap water and had great flow through it.

I think it is clear, after you store your Sawyer or similar type filter, before using it you should do a robust backflush to make sure you get good flow before your trip.
I’m the one who used the filter once to filter a single liter of water from a very high country steam. The water was about as close to the source as you can get so it had no dissolved minerals. It should never have needed a flush of any kind nor should I have expected to have needed a flush. One liter, no minerals, and stored for a year. If an essentially new item fails on the second use (after very minimal first use), I’m not likely to buy another one nor am I going to suggest others do so.

I have filters…not hollow fiber…that sit for years without use and work perfectly when I take them out of the pack in the woods. In fact I used my ceramic filter a couple of weeks ago and it hasn’t been used in probably 5 years. It worked perfectly…and much quicker than even the Sawyer when it was new.

Finally, and I’ll say it again, I don’t test equipment before I go out to use it. I put equipment…bicycles, tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear, water filters, etc…away in good order. There is no need to test equipment that isn’t broken and it is foolish to put away equipment that is broken.

Old 07-31-22, 05:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

I’m the one who used the filter once to filter a single liter of water from a very high country steam. ... ....
Why am I not surprised that you have returned to post a tenth post in this thread where you are trying to demean a very popular and good quality product?
Old 07-31-22, 05:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
What I take from T's recent experience as well as cycco's older experience, is that these Sawyer filters are great with being small and light, but doing a test and back flush is probably just part of owning using one--something I would have no problem doing.

I'm still open to trying one sometime.
Old 07-31-22, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 

Why am I not surprised that you have returned to post a tenth post in this thread where you are trying to demean a very popular and good quality product?
Compared to you 19 posts? You mentioned me in the original post and in your “addendum”. That says to me that you were fishing for a response. Am I not allowed to respond?

I’m not “demeaning” the product, just sharing my experiences with it. I’m not alone in having low flow problems. If I did own one…which I will never do…you bet I would test the crap out of it before taking it out again. But, since it failed me so spectacularly when new, I’m not about to invest in one of them again.

I would also suggest to someone who does own one to test it throughly before depending on it…even if it is brand new.

Old 07-31-22, 12:17 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Compared to you 19 posts? You mentioned me in the original post and in your “addendum”. That says to me that you were fishing for a response. Am I not allowed to respond?

I’m not “demeaning” the product, just sharing my experiences with it. I’m not alone in having low flow problems. If I did own one…which I will never do…you bet I would test the crap out of it before taking it out again. But, since it failed me so spectacularly when new, I’m not about to invest in one of them again.

I would also suggest to someone who does own one to test it throughly before depending on it…even if it is brand new.
I’m with you on this one… I have had 4 of the Sawyer Mini’s fail me… not just slow filtering, but cracked housings right out of the box, filter tubes broken, and a number of other issues. Out of the 4, none ever made it to the back country as they failed NIB at home doing the recommended tests and first use maintenance.

I have always ended up boiling my water…
Likes For M Rose:
Old 07-31-22, 03:49 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by M Rose
I’m with you on this one… I have had 4 of the Sawyer Mini’s fail me… not just slow filtering, but cracked housings right out of the box, filter tubes broken, and a number of other issues. Out of the 4, none ever made it to the back country as they failed NIB at home doing the recommended tests and first use maintenance.

Pretty much said it before, but...
I've had a few Squeeze and Mini models myself, in the family, and among friends. I am aware of no issues with any of them. I'll test before heading outafter reading all this, but I am pretty happy with my experiences with the products.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-31-22, 04:04 PM
M Rose

Pretty much said it before, but...
I've had a few Squeeze and Mini models myself, in the family, and among friends. I am aware of no issues with any of them. I'll test before heading outafter reading all this, but I am pretty happy with my experiences with the products.
I’m not trying to sway anyone one way or another. I’m just stating the problems I had, and why I won’t be using another Sawyer WF product again.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 07-31-22, 04:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Old 08-01-22, 01:49 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose

I can get something having an issue, but I do question the likelihood of the high failure rate you describe.
Think of the chances of 4 of any product in our lives being defective like this.
I don't recall ever having an experience like this in my life.
​​​​​​
Likes For djb:
Old 08-01-22, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I can get something having an issue, but I do question the likelihood of the high failure rate you describe.
Think of the chances of 4 of any product in our lives being defective like this.
​​​​​​
I came sort of close recently. I ordered a Planet Bike headlight sold by Amazon. The box arrived. Inside the box was the manufacturer's packaging. Inside the packaging were the instructions, mounting bracket and charging cord. The actual light was missing.

I called Amazon. It shipped me another one. The box arrived. Inside the box was the manufacturer's packaging. Inside the packaging were the instructions, mounting bracket and charging cord. Guess what was missing.

I thought someone was playing a cruel joke. At that point I told Amazon to refund my money, which it eventually did.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-01-22, 09:43 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by djb
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I came sort of close recently. I ordered a Planet Bike headlight sold by Amazon. The box arrived. Inside the box was the manufacturer's packaging. Inside the packaging were the instructions, mounting bracket and charging cord. The actual light was missing.

I called Amazon. It shipped me another one. The box arrived. Inside the box was the manufacturer's packaging. Inside the packaging were the instructions, mounting bracket and charging cord. Guess what was missing.

I thought someone was playing a cruel joke. At that point I told Amazon to refund my money, which it eventually did.
I think 2 out of the four where shipping and handling issues and not a fault of Sawyer them selves.
Old 08-02-22, 08:05 AM
staehpj1

Just curious... Those who hate on the Sawyer Mini (and Squeeze?), do you also avoid all hollow fiber filters including Katydin BeFree and others? Or is it brand specific.
Old 08-02-22, 09:05 AM
cyccommute 

Just curious... Those who hate on the Sawyer Mini (and Squeeze?), do you also avoid all hollow fiber filters including Katydin BeFree and others? Or is it brand specific.
“Hate” is too strong a word. I don’t trust the Sawyer for very good reasons. I’m not the only one who has had one fail in the wild and I’ve read from other people that they feel the filter is a single season filter. In other words, they don’t trust them after extended storage either.

That said, I do avoid hollow fiber filters. Ceramic filters may be heavy but they are far more robust. I’ve used hollow fiber filters in a lab setting and they have similar problems with regard to storage. Drying the filter can cause the pores to collapse and it is very difficult to rewet and open the pores. These filters are the same as the ones used in water filters. If I were to ever try another one, you can bet that I would test the crap out of it before taking it out…like every 5 minutes for weeks on end.

But I won’t have to because I have two MSR Sweetwaters and replacement filters. I should be good for 20+ years.

Old 08-02-22, 12:08 PM
M Rose

it’s brand specific for me… I understand the shortcomings of the hallow filters. I just picked up the Platypus QuickDraw Micro Filter which is similar to the Sawyer Squeeze but it’s supposed to be more durable.
I will start a thread on the QuickDraw in a few weeks after I have a few trips with it to see how it holds up.
Old 08-09-22, 10:56 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
For what it is worth, a data point:

Currently in Timor-Leste and happy to have a Sawyer with me.

I had my previous one (a few years old) and then also bought a new one before the trip. Didn't quite keep track of which was which (new vs old) but trying them here found one with very low flow and one perfectly fine. So that is the one I will use.

I suspect we're products of past experience and my negative one was with MSR pump type filter. Original one was working OK for a month or so coming from Prudhoe Bay southbound but getting rather fouled up. Got a second and traded the used one to a friend. The second was dead on arrival. So ended up with Sawyer filters for ~12 months touring after that through Latin America. Some of your experiences would have you make one choice and interestingly enough my experiences have me bring a different filter (sometimes two just in case).
Old 08-10-22, 01:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by mev
For what it is worth, a data point:

Currently in Timor-Leste and happy to have a Sawyer with me.

I had my previous one (a few years old) and then also bought a new one before the trip. Didn't quite keep track of which was which (new vs old) but trying them here found one with very low flow and one perfectly fine. So that is the one I will use.

I suspect we're products of past experience and my negative one was with MSR pump type filter. Original one was working OK for a month or so coming from Prudhoe Bay southbound but getting rather fouled up. Got a second and traded the used one to a friend. The second was dead on arrival. So ended up with Sawyer filters for ~12 months touring after that through Latin America. Some of your experiences would have you make one choice and interestingly enough my experiences have me bring a different filter (sometimes two just in case).
Thanks for posting. My experience is from two trips, total less than a month. Thus, your experience of a "Sawyer filters for ~12 months touring after that through Latin America" is much more valuable to document here than mine with less than one month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.