Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Old 03-07-21, 11:08 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
I see the usual suspects are back at it as usual. I'm going to ask you fellas nicely to cease and desist with the juvenile squabbling in this thread. This thread has been around a long time and it has never previously been misused as a battleground and it will not be used so now. I hope I'm clear. If you can't get along, move along . . . it's that simple. Trust me, I have zero tolerance for you usual suspects.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-08-21, 12:02 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Thanks; that’s a completely different statement from what you said before, but I do understand you now, so thanks for clarifying.

...like the extreme shaping from T-Lab and the cool, one-piece, cast BB/chainstay yoke from J. Guillem.
I have a T-Lab X3 and the tube shaping always gets comments along the lines of "That almost looks like carbon shaping" Which isn't wrong. If it weren't for my desire to have wider tires & disc brakes I could very well still be riding my 2003 Airborne Valkyrie. There are plenty of pictures of Ti (and carbon, and steel, and aluminum) frames that have failed, but if it makes it past the first 5 years/15k mi, there's a very good chance that it's going to last an exceptionally long time. Long enough that future components won't be compatible.
Old 03-11-21, 01:07 PM
Greyhounds

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I see the usual suspects are back at it as usual. I'm going to ask you fellas nicely to cease and desist with the juvenile squabbling in this thread. This thread has been around a long time and it has never previously been misused as a battleground and it will not be used so now. I hope I'm clear. If you can't get along, move along . . . it's that simple. Trust me, I have zero tolerance for you usual suspects.
Please forgive me, as I know I'll get in trouble for this. I'm more of a lurker than a contributor, but I truly love Bike Forums and have enjoyed it for 3 or 4 years. Frankly, I find entertainment in their bloviating. Sorry Billy, just sayin'. And if I'm being honest, the moderators here do a tremendous job and I'm grateful for all of you. Thanks for your volunteering and your hard work and long hours.
Old 03-12-21, 01:42 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
My Ti

My Serotta Ottrot, bought as a used frameset from Pro's Closet about 8 years ago, came named as OCHO. Built up with parts from my, Bianchi Infineto and added Ultegra Di2. Bontrager Carbon Iso-zone handlebars with Fizik Gel inserts have taken away all the hand fatigue for me.
I call this bike a magic carpet ride, going over little bumps that I used to feel just disappeared. I'll ride this road bike as long as I can, but make no mistake, I am the limiting factor to this bikes abilities. Andy

Last edited by Flying Foot Doc; 03-13-21 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added information
Likes For Flying Foot Doc:
Old 03-12-21, 02:03 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Foot Doc
My Serotta, bought as a used frameset from Pro's Closet about 8 years ago, built up with parts from my Bianchi carbon and added Ultegra Di2. Bontrager Carbon Iso-zone handlebars with Fizik Gel inserts have taken away all the hand fatigue for me.
I call this bike a magic carpet ride, going over little bumps that I used to feel just disappeared. I'll ride this road bike as long as I can, but make no mistake, I am the limiting factor to this bikes abilities. Andy
Serotta was my dream bike growing up in the '80s. I really wanted the bright yellow Davis Phinney. Yours is quite the looker too!
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 03-17-21, 09:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
cormacf this is the Road Bike Forum, so the post on your bike, while a cool bike, is a bit OT here and may generate more useful responses in the Mountain Biking forum.
Old 03-17-21, 09:22 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 85 Posts
Lynskey Premier

Any thought on this frame info. One came up for sale in my area, and frame size ? Thanks
Old 03-18-21, 03:40 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Any thought on this frame info. One came up for sale in my area, and frame size ? Thanks
Why don't you bump this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...questions.html

If you quote someone, they'll probably notice it.
Old 04-16-21, 10:36 AM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide
Old 04-16-21, 01:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Finally finished and ready for some dirt work!

‘19 T-Lab X3
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-16-21, 08:26 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff

No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide
Beautiful bike! Love the anodized bottle cages. Not a fan of the saddle bag I must say!

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 04-18-21, 11:42 AM
1Lieutenant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts

Lynskey R300 SRAM Force 1x, Absolute Black 42T Internal cable routing

Bought last year. Has a bit over 2k miles. Very smooth and comfortable. 18.5 lb as equipped without the bags.
Likes For 1Lieutenant:
Old 06-27-21, 08:02 PM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Moots Vamoots 61.5 cm
My first metal road bike.

Likes For espi-JG:
Old 06-28-21, 06:10 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by espi-JG
Moots Vamoots 61.5 cm
My first metal road bike.
It can easily outlast a lifetime of riding if you take care of it.
My 2001 Litespeed has over 73k mi. on it, still the same magic carpet ride as the first day I sat on it.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-06-21, 12:14 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Just got my second bike delivered yesterday. A Litespeed T5 with Shimano 105 group. Guy delivered the bike assembled, attached my pedals, and fit the seat and bar height before he left. Great ride this morning. They said 4 to 6 weeks and it made it here in 4 weeks and a couple days.

Old 10-15-21, 12:20 PM
IGotId

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wow! Amazing thread!

I've had my Specialized Hybrid bike for about 4-5 months now & have become a cycling fan! I'm about to upgrade to a titanium bike & have all my specs in order, about to place my order with litespeed but just can't decide on which anodized color for the tubes! Blue is my favorite color but I really like the gold lettering as well!

Any recommendations from you all?
Old 10-16-21, 06:15 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Litespeed T3.

Old 10-16-21, 06:56 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 2,666 Times in 521 Posts
My Litespeed built 1996 Eddy Merckx EX ti with 20 speed Campagnolo Chorus groupset, and recently fitted Columbus Max fork and 28c tyres.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 10-17-21, 06:04 PM
IGotId

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Finally finished and ready for some dirt work!

‘19 T-Lab X3
Originally Posted by jfrunner
I finally reached 10 posts, so I can show you my T-Lab X3. Awesome do-it-all allroad bike. It's currently setup as a road-oriented machine, but I can easily change the chainring and wheelsets for gravel/singletacks adventures!

Originally Posted by SCTinkering
This was at the top of a ride that was a mix of road and Gravel.
On top of Black Mtn, Santa Cruz Mtns. SF Bay Area
Looking for feedback from current T-Lab owners, how are you all liking your bikes at this point?
Old 10-17-21, 08:10 PM
jfrunner

Bikes: 2019 T-Lab X3 / 2013 Kona Jake the Snake / 1990 Bridgestone MB-0 (dropbar converted)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IGotId
Looking for feedback from current T-Lab owners, how are you all liking your bikes at this point?
Im at the end of season 3 on mine and have nothing but good things to say about it. Solid bike. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you have specific questions.
Old 10-17-21, 08:40 PM
IGotId

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jfrunner
Im at the end of season 3 on mine and have nothing but good things to say about it. Solid bike. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you have specific questions.
Thanks for the reaponse! Cross-shopping T-Lab with litespeed at the moment!
Old 10-18-21, 09:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Cross-shopping T-Lab with litespeed at the moment!
Interesting cross-shopping brand choices. T-Lab and Litespeed seem to have quite different bike and brand appeal to me, particularly when the cost of a range topping Litespeed Ultimate G is more than $1.2k less for the frameset than a similarly finished T-Lab X3. I guess if you’re indifferent to cost and unaware of, or unconcerened with, some of the issues around features, detailing, and brand appreciation, I can understand the comparison, but I’m more the kind of guy who’d compare, say, a J. Guillem Atalaya to an X3 on the basis of the small brand/boutique builder thing or the Atalaya with the Ultimate G on the basis of price similarity. But this is about you, not me, so let me do my best to answer your question…

I really like my X3 as a gravel bike, and very impressed with how composed on dirt it is. T-Lab has struck a balance of liveliness and responsiveness with stability and comfort, so for me, the bike just does whatever I ask/expect of it with ease. It doesn’t get out of shape ever that I’ve experienced, but my dirt road riding is mostly non-technical, so I certainly cannot speak for all conditions. I do very little trail riding on it, mostly just rolling gravel roads, and it’s very fast and encouraging over that kind of terrain.

It’s gravel composure does come at the expense of sharp pavement manners, I think. I run 35c file tread tires because I probably do about 25% tarmac on my gravel rides, and I’m just kinda a roadie at heart and practice, so I like and appreciate pavement performance. The X3 is fine on pavement, to be sure, but it’s not as slice-n-dice crisp on it as a true road race bike is; I usually feel there’s a bit of wallow in the handling, or maybe it’s an unexpected unresponsiveness to the tiny inputs I’m used to giving a road bike, and I notice it. I’m adapted to it at this point, and I understand that this is designed as a gravel bike and not just a road bike with wider rubber, so I get it and it’s ok. Were I looking for a do-it-all rig or an all-road rig, though, I’d probably go with T-Lab’s R3 Omnium, but I’ve got three other drop bar road bikes each with a specialized role, so it’s all good having a dedicated gravel bike. Plus, the X3 has rack mounts, so it creates the possibility of doing some cool touring or bikepacking stuff which none of the other bikes offer.

So in all, yeah, I’m stoked on the X3 and think it’s great! I have the bead blasted finish with matte paint up front, which is something new for me, but I’ve grown to appreciate it; folks are often uncertain what the material is, thinking at first it may be carbon fiber.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-18-21, 11:55 AM
IGotId

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting cross-shopping brand choices. T-Lab and Litespeed seem to have quite different bike and brand appeal to me, particularly when the cost of a range topping Litespeed Ultimate G is more than $1.2k less for the frameset than a similarly finished T-Lab X3. I guess if you’re indifferent to cost and unaware of, or unconcerened with, some of the issues around features, detailing, and brand appreciation, I can understand the comparison, but I’m more the kind of guy who’d compare, say, a J. Guillem Atalaya to an X3 on the basis of the small brand/boutique builder thing or the Atalaya with the Ultimate G on the basis of price similarity. But this is about you, not me, so let me do my best to answer your question…

I really like my X3 as a gravel bike, and very impressed with how composed on dirt it is. T-Lab has struck a balance of liveliness and responsiveness with stability and comfort, so for me, the bike just does whatever I ask/expect of it with ease. It doesn’t get out of shape ever that I’ve experienced, but my dirt road riding is mostly non-technical, so I certainly cannot speak for all conditions. I do very little trail riding on it, mostly just rolling gravel roads, and it’s very fast and encouraging over that kind of terrain.

It’s gravel composure does come at the expense of sharp pavement manners, I think. I run 35c file tread tires because I probably do about 25% tarmac on my gravel rides, and I’m just kinda a roadie at heart and practice, so I like and appreciate pavement performance. The X3 is fine on pavement, to be sure, but it’s not as slice-n-dice crisp on it as a true road race bike is; I usually feel there’s a bit of wallow in the handling, or maybe it’s an unexpected unresponsiveness to the tiny inputs I’m used to giving a road bike, and I notice it. I’m adapted to it at this point, and I understand that this is designed as a gravel bike and not just a road bike with wider rubber, so I get it and it’s ok. Were I looking for a do-it-all rig or an all-road rig, though, I’d probably go with T-Lab’s R3 Omnium, but I’ve got three other drop bar road bikes each with a specialized role, so it’s all good having a dedicated gravel bike. Plus, the X3 has rack mounts, so it creates the possibility of doing some cool touring or bikepacking stuff which none of the other bikes offer.

So in all, yeah, I’m stoked on the X3 and think it’s great! I have the bead blasted finish with matte paint up front, which is something new for me, but I’ve grown to appreciate it; folks are often uncertain what the material is, thinking at first it may be carbon fiber.

Thanks for the reply!

After speaking with T-Lab's CS I agree with the R3 Omni recommendation.

I'm definitely not indifferent on cost & was all set on Litespeed until I came across this thread, the T-Labs I saw in this thread caught my eyes (I'm a big fan of design/esthetics).

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above in bold, I'm new to the bike world!
Old 10-18-21, 01:13 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Chaadster,
I am digging your TLab gravel machine. The purple accents work especially well. I particularly like the bottle cages sort of pulling the color theme down into the blackest/grayest region of the bike. Kudos. Vous etes artiste!
Likes For zatopek:
Old 10-18-21, 08:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by zatopek
Chaadster,
I am digging your TLab gravel machine. The purple accents work especially well. I particularly like the bottle cages sort of pulling the color theme down into the blackest/grayest region of the bike. Kudos. Vous etes artiste!
Oh, wow…thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.