Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Old 02-02-22, 11:16 AM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty
Can you provide any update on ride quality/impressions? I got the green light from the wife to spend part of my children's inheritance (got to double the bike cost since she'll spend equal on designer bags) and I'm trying to figure out which Ti bike I go with. Not sure if I need to spend $13k on a fully loaded Moots vs $7-8 on a similar Ti bike.
Clichy,
What I'm about to say is just my opinion.
The bike build as a whole is very nice. Ti tubes for the R300 are very nice with how they shaped them. The integration of a CNC machines interface to attach the the right side chain stay is just ok, As far as looks and aesthetics it is what I referred to as "industrial look" comment in the post prior.

The bike is a bit twitchy when fast descending, I think that is part of the head tube angle you get use to it. The Bottom bracket area too me now, seems to flex a bit If I intentionally stand on the pedal with the crank arm at 6 o'clock and I lay my weight into it. My 2001 litespeed does not. (I weigh 204lbs) so I'm not a light weight. (started at 285lbs in june 21, trying to get too 175lbs by aug 22)

The Di2 is pretty interesting if you are coming from traditional shifting. Personality I enjoy it, but for some reason it has some quirks, I need to figure out if it is me or it's just the way it is. shifting is very crisp going up and down the cassette. Going from, small chain ring (34) to the Big ring (50)is super smooth, The chain does seem to stay in contact with the front derailleur longer than I'm use too but Di2 auto trims. Might have to play with the shift speed in Shimano's e-tube project.

The HED Ardennes Performance RA wheelset has been solid, been down some trashy Texas FM's with really broke up chip seal and they have stayed true. Tires, Kenda Valkyre Pro 28mm have been very good also. First time on 28mm, I've been use to riding 23mm for my road bikes back in the day, actually the 28mm have a much nicer road feel not to harsh they are only filled to 70psi ver 100 psi on my 23mm.

The Bike has about 800 Miles on it and it's doing fine, I kinda wish I could have looked and rode it before I purchased, because litespeed was a consideration at the time and I just like Litespeed's traditional frame tubing, stays, downtube etc. But, Lynskey offered such a huge savings I just couldn't pass it up had to try it out.

It's a very nice bike. If you like metal framed bikes which I do, its a totally different feel from the carbon frames. Also and this is a biggie, MADE IN AMERICA,

The in house titanium components stem,seatpost from lynskey are very nice. The saddle clamp gets a little getting use too, just have to make sure you torque the bolt to the correct value. And don't be afraid to take it to the max value. Once you learn how its done its no problem. The Saddle Lynskey sends is nothing special, wish they would have asked what sit bone width I prefer but they just put on some ultra narrow width, probably around 135-140mm. Currently using a specialized Power expert 155mm, not bad probably going to try a power arc later.

I see a lot of b*t*hing about the thru axle tension and release mechanics, its just some people are not willing to learn a new method even if the front and rear are slightly different its no big deal. They work just fine, stay secure and look good. Maybe if your racing a bike like this which I doubt, in your moment of panic trying to get rolling again after you had a flat it might, might be an issue but not really.
Oh yeah, ride quality is Excellent, very quiet, compliant for my body weight. Been chasing a creak last few hundred miles, finally found it, the small chain ring bolts needed to be re-torqued. Only found after, pulling seat post, clamp, stem,handlebars,chain, pedals,looked at head set,dug out old socket to check cassette for play, even ordered a new BBR60 bottom bracket and tool. Oh well, got a spare now.

This bike is a Medium, I'm 5'8 always thought I was 5'10 actually I was 5'10 glad I had the wife triple check my height prior too ordering. Can't say how many places I had to put my height down and never was challenged even during health screenings weird. With that said even though lynskey recommended the Medium, I would recommend the small. I'm 67 feeling good, can't wait for the big group rides this spring,summer. I'm definitely trying to be ready.

Also, when doing your calculations double,triple check, mine were pretty darn close to exactly what I expected, with all the spacers under the stem once I remove them,the fit will be perfect.
If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask
Mike

Last edited by texbazII; 02-02-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 01:05 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
IME, if your stature is fitting of regular size range of frame, there really is not much need to spend $7-8k on a titanium bike.
I bought my 2001 Litespeed Ultimate used on eBay for less than $2000, back in 2004.
Over the years, gone through few groupo, wheelsets, over 70k miles pedaled; still the same magic carpet ride as day one, it is till my fav road bike.

My Lynskey gravel frame was purchased under $500 back in 2017, complete bike built up with 1x11 group was still under $2.5k.
It rides very similar to my 20 y-o Litespeed, just different geometry to accommodate longer wheelbase, wider tires & slightly heavier.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-02-22, 02:51 PM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by texbazII
Clichy,
What I'm about to say is just my opinion.
The bike build as a whole is very nice. Ti tubes for the R300 are very nice with how they shaped them. The integration of a CNC machines interface to attach the the right side chain stay is just ok, As far as looks and aesthetics it is what I referred to as "industrial look" comment in the post prior.

The bike is a bit twitchy when fast descending, I think that is part of the head tube angle you get use to it. The Bottom bracket area too me now, seems to flex a bit If I intentionally stand on the pedal with the crank arm at 6 o'clock and I lay my weight into it. My 2001 litespeed does not. (I weigh 204lbs) so I'm not a light weight. (started at 285lbs in june 21, trying to get too 175lbs by aug 22)

The Di2 is pretty interesting if you are coming from traditional shifting. Personality I enjoy it, but for some reason it has some quirks, I need to figure out if it is me or it's just the way it is. shifting is very crisp going up and down the cassette. Going from, small chain ring (34) to the Big ring (50)is super smooth, The chain does seem to stay in contact with the front derailleur longer than I'm use too but Di2 auto trims. Might have to play with the shift speed in Shimano's e-tube project.

The HED Ardennes Performance RA wheelset has been solid, been down some trashy Texas FM's with really broke up chip seal and they have stayed true. Tires, Kenda Valkyre Pro 28mm have been very good also. First time on 28mm, I've been use to riding 23mm for my road bikes back in the day, actually the 28mm have a much nicer road feel not to harsh they are only filled to 70psi ver 100 psi on my 23mm.

The Bike has about 800 Miles on it and it's doing fine, I kinda wish I could have looked and rode it before I purchased, because litespeed was a consideration at the time and I just like Litespeed's traditional frame tubing, stays, downtube etc. But, Lynskey offered such a huge savings I just couldn't pass it up had to try it out.

It's a very nice bike. If you like metal framed bikes which I do, its a totally different feel from the carbon frames. Also and this is a biggie, MADE IN AMERICA,

The in house titanium components stem,seatpost from lynskey are very nice. The saddle clamp gets a little getting use too, just have to make sure you torque the bolt to the correct value. And don't be afraid to take it to the max value. Once you learn how its done its no problem. The Saddle Lynskey sends is nothing special, wish they would have asked what sit bone width I prefer but they just put on some ultra narrow width, probably around 135-140mm. Currently using a specialized Power expert 155mm, not bad probably going to try a power arc later.

I see a lot of b*t*hing about the thru axle tension and release mechanics, its just some people are not willing to learn a new method even if the front and rear are slightly different its no big deal. They work just fine, stay secure and look good. Maybe if your racing a bike like this which I doubt, in your moment of panic trying to get rolling again after you had a flat it might, might be an issue but not really.
Oh yeah, ride quality is Excellent, very quiet, compliant for my body weight. Been chasing a creak last few hundred miles, finally found it, the small chain ring bolts needed to be re-torqued. Only found after, pulling seat post, clamp, stem,handlebars,chain, pedals,looked at head set,dug out old socket to check cassette for play, even ordered a new BBR60 bottom bracket and tool. Oh well, got a spare now.

This bike is a Medium, I'm 5'8 always thought I was 5'10 actually I was 5'10 glad I had the wife triple check my height prior too ordering. Can't say how many places I had to put my height down and never was challenged even during health screenings weird. With that said even though lynskey recommended the Medium, I would recommend the small. I'm 67 feeling good, can't wait for the big group rides this spring,summer. I'm definitely trying to be ready.

Also, when doing your calculations double,triple check, mine were pretty darn close to exactly what I expected, with all the spacers under the stem once I remove them,the fit will be perfect.
If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask
Mike
All super helpful, thank you! I have a 2000s Serotta Ti that I rebuilt with new Ultegra 11spd and all modern parts. Haven't even ridden the sucker yet (MN winters are awful). I'm just not sure I want to go drop a bunch of $$$ just for DI2/AXS and disc brakes. I know they would be better but I don't think its worth $7-10k just for that? I might just add a Titanium Stem/Seatpost just for more Ti and ride that bike for a while.

Likes For clichty:
Old 02-02-22, 04:10 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts

I love being able to post in this thread. 2001 Lightspeed Classic ..... every thing brand new. Dura Ace 9100 Top to Bottom. I always wanted a full Dura Ace bike and now I have one. It dreamy 😍

If the ice and snow would let up I could take it on its maiden voyage.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 02-03-22, 03:43 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
Can you provide any update on ride quality/impressions? I got the green light from the wife to spend part of my children's inheritance (got to double the bike cost since she'll spend equal on designer bags) and I'm trying to figure out which Ti bike I go with. Not sure if I need to spend $13k on a fully loaded Moots vs $7-8 on a similar Ti bike.
Unless you have so much money that spending $13K on a bike is pocket change, you really don't need to spend that kind of money. Lynskey makes just as good of a bike a Moots and others, in fact Lynskey created the cold working of TI that all the other makers use, so why spend more money for something that Lynskey created and does? But at the end of the day, it's your money to spend it as you wish.

I would also wait for a sale; the LOFT tab has that stuff.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-04-22, 08:51 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Unless you have so much money that spending $13K on a bike is pocket change, you really don't need to spend that kind of money. Lynskey makes just as good of a bike a Moots and others, in fact Lynskey created the cold working of TI that all the other makers use, so why spend more money for something that Lynskey created and does? But at the end of the day, it's your money to spend it as you wish.

I would also wait for a sale; the LOFT tab has that stuff.
I do like the fact that Lynskey was the pioneer in the US space and I do like their bikes. 100% agree the Loft is intriguing; they had the R500 but it was totally Rainbow. I didn't mind the rainbow frame (thought it was cool) but the full rainbow spokes on the (nice) wheels were a bit much for me. They currently have an R500 but it's just Red (not AXS) so that's a no go. My main rationale for spending egregious amounts is that I haven't purchased a true road bike (besides building up the Serotta for fun) since 2011 and I've ridden that Felt into the ground. If I go titanium, hopefully its the last (road) bike I have to buy for 20 years.
Old 02-04-22, 02:52 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 63 Posts

My uber-rare Project Underground Schwinn.
Likes For jolly_codger:
Old 02-04-22, 03:44 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I do like the fact that Lynskey was the pioneer in the US space and I do like their bikes. 100% agree the Loft is intriguing; they had the R500 but it was totally Rainbow. I didn't mind the rainbow frame (thought it was cool) but the full rainbow spokes on the (nice) wheels were a bit much for me. They currently have an R500 but it's just Red (not AXS) so that's a no go. My main rationale for spending egregious amounts is that I haven't purchased a true road bike (besides building up the Serotta for fun) since 2011 and I've ridden that Felt into the ground. If I go titanium, hopefully its the last (road) bike I have to buy for 20 years.
Before buying the Lynskey in 2013, the previous new bike I purchased was in 1985, that was my main bike, I had others, but that's the one I rode the most and put on over 150,000 miles on it over 24 years, that bike is still rideable. The only reason I bought the Lynskey was because I had heard so much about how good of a ride a TI bike has, and with a new back surgery I wanted the most comfortable bike I could find, and that Lynskey is even better riding than steel bikes I have. I would not have purchased another road bike had it not been for the back surgery, I would have ridden the Trek forever. Now I will ride the Lynskey most of the time and I expect it to last till I die, I'm 65 now, so maybe another 50 years? LOL!!

But I do believe that a TI frame can last forever excluding crashes, so all one would ever have to do it is replace parts as they break, or once problems developed with the components to go through and replace all the components at the same time. The Trek I have uses Suntour Superbe components, I've never had to replace anything yet with those components, but they don't make bike parts like the Suntour did anymore, so it may be unreasonable to expect original components to last over 150,000 miles anymore. By the way, the Trek was purchased as a frame and fork due to crashing out a previous bike, I transferred most of my components over to the Trek and bought some additional Suntour components to fill in gaps; that explains why if you look up the 660 specs they don't match because I didn't buy it as a ready to ride bike.
Old 02-04-22, 04:11 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger

I like how you roll!
Old 02-04-22, 05:19 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
With a Litespeed head badge?
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-04-22, 05:38 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
With a Litespeed head badge?
Like the Eddy Merckx titanium frames, "Built by Litespeed".
Likes For jolly_codger:
Old 02-04-22, 06:11 PM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I like how you roll!
Yeah, that's a Litespeed, maybe from early 2000's. Looks nice. A very upgradeable worthy frame.
Likes For texbazII:
Old 02-05-22, 08:21 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
just a thought but Speedvagen in also now working in Titanium. Although they weren’t when I bought mine (Steel with carbon seat tube. My Speedvagen is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned and I expect it to last forever. If spending that kind of money go custom!

Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-07-22, 09:02 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 489 Posts
Just got lucky and found a Habanero locally that I could not resist.
Fits me perfectly and setup with Dura Ace including a triple, which none of my other road bike have.
Great couple rides so far and really looking forward to using it on some hills.

Old 02-12-22, 09:02 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 219 Posts

New bike day, about 5 years ago. Lynskey R230. Bought the frame through my LBS and they built it up for me. The funky yellow seat was a loaner. I tried a few and settled on a Fizik Alante VS. I wish I could still find those so I could put them on my other bikes. Love this bike!
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-12-22, 12:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

New bike day, about 5 years ago. Lynskey R230. Bought the frame through my LBS and they built it up for me. The funky yellow seat was a loaner. I tried a few and settled on a Fizik Alante VS. I wish I could still find those so I could put them on my other bikes. Love this bike!
I was looking for a new favorite saddle to replace the Avocet O2 Air 40R that I love so much but which went out of production long ago. I found a Fizik Aliante VSX, and really liked it. Then I got another bike and thought, "Oh, I'll just buy another one of those!" HA! I eventually found one for a reasonable price on Ebay, but it took some looking.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-12-22, 12:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Lynskey makes just as good of a bike a Moots and others, in fact Lynskey created the cold working of TI that all the other makers use, so why spend more money for something that Lynskey created and does?
General Motors pioneered the automatic transmission. That doesn't mean they presently make the best transmissions.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-12-22, 04:57 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
General Motors pioneered the automatic transmission. That doesn't mean they presently make the best transmissions.
Thats a poor example since a transmission contains many many mechanical parts that a frame only contains how many mechanical parts? So, over the years others improved the automatic trans and filed patients for those improvements, and that cycle went on and on. How does that example of yours apply to the creation of the cold worked TI? IT DOESN'T!!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-12-22, 05:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Thats a poor example since a transmission contains many many mechanical parts that a frame only contains how many mechanical parts? So, over the years others improved the automatic trans and filed patients for those improvements, and that cycle went on and on. How does that example of yours apply to the creation of the cold worked TI? IT DOESN'T!!
The number of parts is irrelevant. There are many examples of industry innovators that are no longer on the cutting edge of product development. It's pretty common for competitors to adopt those innovations and improve upon them, and then add innovations of their own.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-12-22, 06:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The number of parts is irrelevant. There are many examples of industry innovators that are no longer on the cutting edge of product development. It's pretty common for competitors to adopt those innovations and improve upon them, and then add innovations of their own.
Hypothetically. The question is, has that happened?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-13-22, 12:58 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Burls custom Ti, buit 2014.

Designed in England, made in Russia by same builders as the old Colnago Titanio.

7.4kg, running 46-30 FSA K-Light and Ultegra/DA, hand-built wheelset.

Last edited by Groasters; 02-13-22 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For Groasters:
Old 02-13-22, 01:06 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Originally Posted by QuikRick

2001 Colnago Titanio OvalMaster, in AD23 paint scheme.
Lovely bike! Same Russian builder as my 2014 Burls (see above post)!
Likes For Groasters:
Old 02-13-22, 01:07 PM
Thrasher36

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have to be very careful I dont get to obsessed with these bikes.
Old 02-13-22, 01:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Groasters
Lovely bike! Same Russian builder as my 2014 Burls (see above post)!
Do you happen to know the name of the Russian builder?

Because when you read the description on the Wittson ebay ad for their Lithiuanian frames he talks about some of the Euro brands that he previously fabricated titanium frames for.
Old 02-13-22, 01:15 PM
Groasters

Originally Posted by masi61
Do you happen to know the name of the Russian builder?

Because when you read the description on the Wittson ebay ad for their Lithiuanian frames he talks about some of the Euro brands that he previously fabricated titanium frames for.
I'm afraid not. Justin Burls, who made the frame, told me about the builder. Apparently they are ex-submarine component makers before moving to just bike frames in around 1990 something.

I reckon if you drop Justin an email he will tell you, he's a nice guy.

Just Google Burls bikes.
Likes For Groasters:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.