Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Social butterfly or homebody?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Social butterfly or homebody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 09:10 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Last alcohol I had was two years ago. It was a beer with dinner as a part of an Alliance for Biking and Walking training session. Riding home, I couldn't keep up with a retired grandmother (literally), and I felt rotten.
Little old lady blows past you?

I'd never drink again.

[Although I was riding to work the other day and a male old-timer (older than me anyway...) on a MTB with nobbies sped past me... I'm was sure he had an electric assist hidden somewhere on that thing.]
Old 03-09-12, 09:15 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Actually, other than the lack of infrastructure and the attitudes of the motorists, the town I'm in isn't that bad to be car free. Most everything of importance is maybe 5 miles away, stretch it to 8 to include the bowling alley, movie theater, and skating rink.

Though we are living car light, I'm the only one interested in going car free. Of course, the wife needs the Jeep for transportation to work, but I'd just as soon not drive anymore. Going to be difficult to find a job that made as much as my last one in this town, but we figure I could work just a little over minimum wage (assuming 40 hours- which is hard these days) and still make ends meet, since I will be spending little to nothing on transportation costs.
I have long contended that the best place to live is a small to medium sized town with some sort of industrial base. They are easy to get around in and usually have most of what you need. With a bit of planning you can get one that has interstate bus service and Amtrak, and possibly an airport. I have worked in several that have the potential. Unfortunately I live in a different one

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-09-12, 10:34 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I have long contended that the best place to live is a small to medium sized town with some sort of industrial base. They are easy to get around in and usually have most of what you need. With a bit of planning you can get one that has interstate bus service and Amtrak, and possibly an airport. I have worked in several that have the potential. Unfortunately I live in a different one

Aaron
Actually for me a small size city (< 500,000) is ideal. Des Moines fits that bill, but is way too spread out. It's a 30 mile bike ride to get from one end to the other.

Housing prices have been pretty good. Lots of work. Very nice bicycle trail system. Reasonable bus system.

Lots of cool people. (No... wait... that's Portland... damn.)
Old 03-09-12, 10:59 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Lots of cool people. (No... wait... that's Portland... damn.)
Midwesterners are cool too--just not flashy.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-09-12, 11:05 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Our homes are the most relaxing and happiest places on earth... we like our social get togethers if they are small and don't run too late because we like to end our days curled up in our cozy little nests.

We like to go for walks in the evening, read books, and just about everybody does something with wool or fabric... the girls often leave the computer in favour of this or outside activities.
Old 03-09-12, 11:14 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hermit - bike riding is my social life.
Old 03-09-12, 11:19 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
Hermit - bike riding is my social life.

If I could figure out how to quote somebody in my sig line, I'd be asking for your permission to do so.
Old 03-10-12, 05:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Midwesterners are cool too--just not flashy.

I have more friends from the Midwest than anywhere else, and I have lived in the South for over 40 years. There are lots of things I love and enjoy about the Midwest, but then again my parents came from there and I lived there until I was about 8 so I could be biased.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-10-12, 10:04 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We made sure we moved to a area where we could easily WALK, to movies, restaurants, a Mall, etc. We use the bikes for longer distance utility/commuter needs and rec. riding. My wife uses the city bus, (main line 1 block walk) to go to and from work or her bike if the weather is 40 F and sunny, (she hates riding in the COLD). We don't party much but pay gas in our friends cars, once a month as we do a "Board Game NIGHT). If we really want to go long distance we rent a car but that's not often.

Old 03-12-12, 04:52 PM
Antaresia
Snakes on a bike

Bikes: 80's CCM Mixte ~ SS 70's Apollo ~ Soma Extra Smooth

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I be both? It's a pretty even split, I need to be a hermit sometimes, but I also like to party. I'll bike home from the game nights my friends have, Sunday tea, the pub, and various house parties. Knowing I have to bike home has even got me drinking a bit more sensibly.

I don't do movies or clubs. If I can't talk to the person next to me I consider it a waste of time, not a social outing.
Old 03-12-12, 05:49 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a homebody, a loaner, antisocial, almost schizoid. Some of you might remember that I struggle with anxiety and depression and most of it stems from my dislike of the modern society. I've no clue what makes my wife stick with me. I feel best when I'm alone or in company of likeminded or unusual people, ah forget it... I feel best when I'm alone.
Old 03-12-12, 05:51 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I could figure out how to quote somebody in my sig line, I'd be asking for your permission to do so.
Hit Reply With Quote and copy and paste that into your sig That's it.

Seriously, the only resemblance of social life I had in a decade are rides with a bike club.
Old 03-12-12, 05:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Hit Reply With Quote and copy and paste that into your sig That's it.

Seriously, the only resemblance of social life I had in a decade are rides with a bike club.
Thanks!
Old 03-12-12, 07:17 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Little old lady blows past you?

I'd never drink again.
Since then, I haven't.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-12-12, 09:10 PM
Rapidoyfurioso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather read a book than going to a party
I'm a homebody.

Last edited by Rapidoyfurioso; 03-12-12 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-13-12, 05:36 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
You're welcome! I see it worked

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
An INTROVERT is "re-charged" by solitude; it TAKES energy to be in a social situation.
An EXTROVERT is "re-charged" by social situations; it TAKES energy to be alone.
This is 100% true. For me to be in a social situation or a meeting it takes obvious effort and burns me out, causes mental fatigue. Afterwards, I need to be alone for a bit to recharge my batteries. I know most people around me are the opposite, they thrive among others and burn out when alone.
Old 03-13-12, 07:02 AM
Suburban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ

This is 100% true. For me to be in a social situation or a meeting it takes obvious effort and burns me out, causes mental fatigue. Afterwards, I need to be alone for a bit to recharge my batteries. I know most people around me are the opposite, they thrive among others and burn out when alone.
I think there's a mix here. Too much time around people will burn me out. Too much time alone isn't good for me either. I find it best to try to find that balance. I'm mostly social, but everyone should be able to enjoy and need their own company.
Old 03-13-12, 09:51 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suburban
I think there's a mix here. Too much time around people will burn me out. Too much time alone isn't good for me either. I find it best to try to find that balance. I'm mostly social, but everyone should be able to enjoy and need their own company.
For me it is the combination of idling and being alone. But as long as I have stuff to do so my mental wheels keep turning I can go weeks without human interaction. And when I need human interaction a ride with a bike club is plenty. Also, I'm quite "peopled out" after a day of work
Old 03-15-12, 01:07 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not a really social person, but I do like riding about, even if its not interacting with a lot of people. I used to live in the city and would ride to the mall, grocery shop, treat myself to the bakery. Just be out riding. Now I live out in the the sticks, pretty much just ride to commute.
Old 03-15-12, 04:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm learning to be more social from my 12 year old grandson. When we're riding together, he stops to pet every dog or to chat with every person who is doing something the least bit interesting. At first this annoyed me a little, but now I kind of like it and I stop to converse more often--even when he isn't with me.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-15-12, 07:13 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm learning to be more social from my 12 year old grandson. When we're riding together, he stops to pet every dog or to chat with every person who is doing something the least bit interesting. At first this annoyed me a little, but now I kind of like it and I stop to converse more often--even when he isn't with me.
I can totally understand stopping to pet dogs, but stopping to chat with people? Nah.
Old 03-15-12, 10:02 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I hope this doesn't make you late for work.

But it's happened to me a few times... usually in the winter, I get snagged by someone who is a randonneur or masochist who is out cycling because they love the brrrr.

Doesn't happen much when the weather is good and everyone is out.
Old 03-17-12, 08:28 AM
xscoutx
CAR FREE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more of a homebody; I'm an introvert

I'm carfree & while I do enjoy seeing my friends out and about (so many of my friends are carfree as well!), I'd rather be tinkering around the house

Last edited by xscoutx; 03-18-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-17-12, 12:19 PM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a homebody extrovert. I love being with people, but after a while I just need them all to go away so that I can be alone with my thoughts. Probably why I like the internet so much: it's there when I want to "talk" to someone, but I don't have to figure out how to politely tell them to go away.

We're car-light, in that I drive only once a week or so (this summer hoping for even less); Mr Deplume takes the car to work on weekdays. I telecommute mostly, only working outside the house one afternoon a week, at an office a few blocks away. I get by on a couple of grocery trips a week and one big driving trip into the city a month (25 miles away), for coffee and cat litter and cases of canned goods and other stuff like that.
Old 04-12-12, 05:45 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So are you a social butterfly or a homebody? If the former, how do you manage all the transportation? If the latter, isn't it likely to grow old?
I am TOTALLY a homebody! I dread going anywhere where I will encounter crowds or have to actively socialize with people for extended periods. I even like walking/jogging/cycling because it's something I can do alone or with just one other person (usually DH) and/or my dog(s). It's not that I don't like people, they just tend to wear me out. Right now my cousins back east are frustrated with me because I don't feel like talking for an hour or two on the phone every other night. I prefer letter writing to phone calls, and I mean actual letters not e-mail. I don't see being a homebody as getting old for me, but I might want to expand my social habits so, when I'm in my 80's, I'm not laying on the floor for days without someone thinking to check on me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.