Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Miche cassette question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Miche cassette question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 09:55 AM
moondog321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miche cassette question

Bought a 10 speed Shimano compatable Miche cassette and there is included with all the cogs and red plastic spacers one thin metal spacer. Does anyone know where this goes? No instructions in or on the box.

Old 10-09-13, 10:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
The red spacers go between all the sprockts except the smallest which usually has a built in spacer. The extra spacer is most likely a spare for use on freehub bodies which require a spacer behind the cassette.

There's also the unlikely possibility that the first sprocket's built in spacer isn't full width, so it might go there, but I've never seen it done that way. Use your common sense and mechanical instincts to work it out. The keys are that all the sprockets need equal (or very near equal) spacing, and the first one has to overhang the end of the freehub body by 1mm ir a bit more so the lockring can compress the cassette without bottoming on the freehub body.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-13, 10:32 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The extra spacer is most likely a spare for use on freehub bodies which require a spacer behind the cassette.

There's also the unlikely possibility that the first sprocket's built in spacer isn't full width, so it might go there...
OP, how thick is the spacer?

If its a full 1mm, it is probably the former which FB mentioned as going on first, between the cassette and the inside freehub body flange in some but not all applications.

If it's thin, more like a shim than a spacer, the latter which FB pointed out, might need to be used between the smallest cog and the next one up the cassette.
Old 10-09-13, 10:57 AM
Wheels Of Steel
1, 2, 3 and to the 4X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mconlonx
OP, how thick is the spacer?

If its a full 1mm, it is probably the former which FB mentioned as going on first, between the cassette and the inside freehub body flange in some but not all applications.
^ this.
Old 10-09-13, 11:03 AM
moondog321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's about .5 mm or less in thickness so, I guess that qualifies as a shim instead of spacer.
Old 10-09-13, 11:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by moondog321
It's about .5 mm or less in thickness so, I guess that qualifies as a shim instead of spacer.
Sounds like it's a companion to the high gear sprocket's built in spacer. Possibly Miche chooses to manage costs by using the same high gear sprocket for 10s and 11s. In any case you can test by comparing the built in spacer to the loose ones. It should be equal to a hair wider, but never narrower, so if it is, add the spacer there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-09-13 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 11:47 AM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by moondog321
Bought a 10 speed Shimano compatable Miche cassette and there is included with all the cogs and red plastic spacers one thin metal spacer. Does anyone know where this goes? No instructions in or on the box.

From what I understand, Shimano 10 speed hub shells (and the 10 speed cassettes) are slightly narrower than the 8/9 speed hub shells. The end result is when using an 11t lockring (not a 12) with a 10 speed cassette on a 8/9 shell, the cassette may be loose without the .5mm spacer.
Old 10-12-13, 09:07 AM
moondog321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found Miche's instructions for installing new low cog in last position. Shows shim between last two cogs. Pic below:

Attached Images
Old 03-15-14, 05:54 PM
Auckland1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I have the same very annoying problem. Went to this brand because Shimano dont make a "junior" cassette on the new 11 speed. Got it sent out to New Zealand and they have arranged the cassette as in your photo. But this means that the last two sprockets are at a different spacing to all the rest. How did you overcome this? I want to throw the lot in the bin but have to make it work somehow. I would appreciate any help.
Old 03-15-14, 06:46 PM
moondog321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I placed the spacer between the first and second cog as shown in the manufacturer literature (lowest to next lowest) the spacing is perfect and it shifts great. Mine is also a 10 speed.
Old 03-15-14, 06:53 PM
Auckland1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is very frustrating. I have the Shimano compatible 11spd and if do as you suggest - place the steel spacer between 27 and 25 it just look idiotic half the space of a normal spacer. Did you have any luck with enquiries from the manufacturer.
Old 03-15-14, 07:16 PM
Auckland1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way it would work would be if the lowest (first) sprocket on the hub was thicker at the point at which it touched the metal spacer making up for the spacers thinner width. Do you remember if this was the case on yours? Certainly isnt the case with what they sent me. Will have to try and get a hold of manufacturer.
Old 01-11-22, 07:53 PM
Totte86

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Auckland1
The only way it would work would be if the lowest (first) sprocket on the hub was thicker at the point at which it touched the metal spacer making up for the spacers thinner width. Do you remember if this was the case on yours? Certainly isnt the case with what they sent me. Will have to try and get a hold of manufacturer.
I realize this is an awfully old thread but Im also in the same position. The last sprocket spacing is much narrower to the second to last sprocket with only the thin silver spacer supplied compared to all the other sprockets. Did you by any chance figure out what was wrong with your cassette?