Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Oval disc specific blades

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-18-21, 06:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts

Anyone seen any hint that there are disc specific blades currently available in small quantity from anyone other than Reynolds?

It is hard to judge from the outside, but given the regularity that Nova used to sell out of theirs, I thought they sold okay. Every time I see someone mention the guy that took Nova out, I get grumpy about the lack of disc blades.
Bike Fab supply could get them from Tange, but I guess one of us would have to buy them in quantity because he doesn't want to buy them speculatively.
Old 08-18-21, 09:04 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I need to ask Nova if they will ever restock them. They seemed very popular. I will be ordering something in the next few weeks so I'll ask when I do pick up. The only other place I have found those blades is Ceeway, but they are hidden in the "what's new" section.

https://www.framebuilding.com/what.htm
Old 08-18-21, 10:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Torch and file has those 631 blades, although I'm not sure they have stock. I wish they had more rake. I can't imagine you could get 55mm of rake out of those blades. Their website is so horrible, I just don't have the energy.
Okay, I finally found the link to blades and they have various options in 653, 853 and 953. Which is much better than it has been.

Tbh, I would like something cheaper, 631 is $65. You could get almost three sets of the Nova blades for that.
Old 08-18-21, 01:14 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Torch and file has those 631 blades, although I'm not sure they have stock. I wish they had more rake. I can't imagine you could get 55mm of rake out of those blades. Their website is so horrible, I just don't have the energy.
Okay, I finally found the link to blades and they have various options in 653, 853 and 953. Which is much better than it has been.

Tbh, I would like something cheaper, 631 is $65. You could get almost three sets of the Nova blades for that.
Ouch, I didn't realize they were that expensive. I'll ping Nova about them.
Old 08-18-21, 02:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It would be great if you would report back. Do the new owners have previous experience at nova in the before times? Maybe they don't know or have access to the sales numbers.

I guess the Reynolds blades are a decent price for what they are, but I want to start bending these blades and $25 is a lot more palatable to waste than $65 if I don't get the correct recipe right at first. OTOH, I have some Deda blades that are pretty stout, maybe I'll experiment with them.

I am not sure why Columbus hasn't made a disc specific product, maybe they think everyone is using carbon. Which isn't too far off.

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-18-21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 03:39 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Will do. I'm traveling next week but I'll get up there the week after. It is my understanding that Lon was still involved. I believe they are related to him. I will express the love for those fork blades and how much the community likes them.
Old 08-19-21, 06:57 AM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
For what it's worth you can get 55mm of rake using the pre-raked 45 Reynolds 631 fork blades given the dropout choice. The plug style dropouts make it rather easy as they are quite long, less so with tab style but still doable.
Likes For 8aaron8:
Old 08-19-21, 06:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was wondering about that. Are there 12mm TA plug style that fit those blades? I could probably live with 50mm rake. I was going to build a SoN SL fork, although I'm wavering a little

I guess you're talking about this kind of dropout: https://cycle-frames.com/collections...1-1-fork-blade
Do the Paragon dummy axles fit in those? They don't fit in the rear, although Bike Fab now has special dummy axles for the Chinese TA rear dropouts.

At least Nova has a couple of disc specific blades listed on their new site, sold out, unfortunately.

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-19-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 07:42 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
If you're looking for just one set, I have a set of the Nova blades with the 14mm ID (17mm OD) tips. They are 16.5 inches long and oval at the top, round at the bottom. Happy to send them over.
Old 08-20-21, 04:45 AM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Columbus tandem fork blades

I have Columbus tandem fork blades. They are OS based on a 26 mm tube, they are .049 so over kill between the OS and the thickness and Cyclex sk they are a heat treated blade. They can be built with the Cinelli crown i also have or you can make your own crown which is the biggest draw back or modify a 25.4 oval crown to work.
Likes For pwyg:
Old 08-20-21, 07:21 AM
8aaron8

I was wondering about that. Are there 12mm TA plug style that fit those blades? I could probably live with 50mm rake. I was going to build a SoN SL fork, although I'm wavering a little

I guess you're talking about this kind of dropout: https://cycle-frames.com/collections...1-1-fork-blade
Do the Paragon dummy axles fit in those? They don't fit in the rear, although Bike Fab now has special dummy axles for the Chinese TA rear dropouts.

At least Nova has a couple of disc specific blades listed on their new site, sold out, unfortunately.
Those are basically the same dropouts most carry and they do work. The rough I.D. of the fork blade tips is 14mm. Torch and File also carries a set that are labeled incorrectly. They state the plug is 17.2 but I think it was meant to say it works with a 17.2 blade tip, anyhow they work as well. (https://www.torchandfile.com/THRU-AX...IR_p_1408.html) If you want to do the Son SL fork, Peter White carries a plug in TA with the insulation plate, they are stainless of course but if memory serves I was able to get another 15mm of rake on the blade with that particular dropout. Lastly, the only TA dropout I've struggled with in terms of working with my Anvil/Paragon dummy axles was the Son SL ones because the threading isn't counterbored at all and you also need to fabricate a small washer for the insulated plate side to make up the additional mm the insulation plate takes up after the fork is built.
Likes For 8aaron8:
Old 08-20-21, 04:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Paragon sells a dummy axle for SoN. Just what I needed, another dummy axle. Peter J. White for some reason thinks that he can't get the correct SoN dropouts, so I would have to get them from Rene Herse. I wish Paragon would make some of their SoN dropouts, but I guess it's not a priority.
Thanks for the measurement, sounds like I should just get some Reynolds blades and at least temporarily give up on bending them myself
That's weird about the counterbore on the SoN dropouts, does that make for problems putting in the TA?
Old 08-21-21, 08:11 AM
8aaron8

Paragon sells a dummy axle for SoN. Just what I needed, another dummy axle. Peter J. White for some reason thinks that he can't get the correct SoN dropouts, so I would have to get them from Rene Herse. I wish Paragon would make some of their SoN dropouts, but I guess it's not a priority.
Thanks for the measurement, sounds like I should just get some Reynolds blades and at least temporarily give up on bending them myself
That's weird about the counterbore on the SoN dropouts, does that make for problems putting in the TA?
Very strange, it wasn't more than a year ago that I got the correct ones from him, 12mm TA Son SL. Anyhow, basically the threading starts immediately on the Son dropouts which works just fine with the threaded TA but is problematic when building since the dummy axle has the protruding end that needs to nestle into the dropout to hold it down. Paragons dropout design took this into consideration and made the counter bore for the dummy axle to sit in, got to love Mark.
Old 08-21-21, 03:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks, I just wondered if it also made the TA threads a little harder to start.

SoN introduced a new dropout version with more room for flat mount bosses so now they have two versions. I don't know if PJW got confused, but he only ever had the ones that you needed to use post mount or ISO with. Rene Herse has had both versions now for almost 2 years.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-22-21, 08:12 AM
8aaron8

Thanks, I just wondered if it also made the TA threads a little harder to start.

SoN introduced a new dropout version with more room for flat mount bosses so now they have two versions. I don't know if PJW got confused, but he only ever had the ones that you needed to use post mount or ISO with. Rene Herse has had both versions now for almost 2 years.
The new flat mount version is intriguing. Maybe I missed that you were wanting to go that route, I definitely used the version in conjunction with an ISO tab.
Old 08-22-21, 10:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think I would prefer flat mount. OTOH, I don't like the fact that I have to make bosses and my mount fixture is a post mount with a flat mount/post mount adapter. Everybody is copying the anvil design without copying the anvil dimensions. As I recall, a framebuilder designed it and gave the design to Don. And he's not making them anymore anyway. I guess it's too much work to get out some calipers and measure one, and selling adapters isn't as much money as selling the whole tool.

There doesn't seem to be any downside to moving the eyelets down to clear the flat mount. But PJW doesn't have either version anyway, so the only easy source is Rene Herse.

I saw someone has a dropout with the bottom flat mount built in. It looks a little ugly though.
Likes For unterhausen: