Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cassette issue

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cassette issue

Old 10-09-10, 04:03 PM
micah356

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cassette issue

I've just got a new rear wheel. I put on the lockring to the recommended torque, but the last few cogs (the ones that aren't attached together) are still able to move around slightly. I don't know why this might be. Is it possible there is a spacer or something missing? Its a Deore XT/M756 hub with an 8 speed Shimano cassette.
Old 10-09-10, 04:16 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hard to say without looking at it but i guess a spacer is missing in the cassette stack.
Old 10-09-10, 04:21 PM
micah356

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The amount of play in it is incredibly small - I only noticed by hearing the sound it makes once per revolution of the cassette while I was installing a new chain. It might also be possible that it is not torqued quite enough. There is very little depth for the lockring tool to engage the lockring, and I had issues with it slipping. I did (I think) eventually get it on though, and the wrench clicked. I just don't really see how I might have lost a part of the cassette?

I guess I'll just head to the LBS tomorrow.

Last edited by micah356; 10-09-10 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 05:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Cassettes must overhang the freehub body slightly. Otherwise the lockring bottoms out on the body and can't properly compress and secure the cassette. It's analogous to threadless headsets which require the stem/spacer stack to be taller than the steerer to work. Add the thinnest spacer that's wider than the gap behind the cassette to establish the overhang and you'll be good to go.

BTW- you might not have lost a part, there's slight variation between brands in freehub body and cassette widths, so some combinations need spacers and others don't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-10, 07:20 PM
larry_llama

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some cassettes have a very thin spacer between the two smallest cogs, perhaps it is missing? Experience tells me that the cassette should have no play even if you only hand tighten the lockring, so adding torque is unlikely to help. The problem is, the smallest cog will tighten against the end of the freehub body and will not move any further no matter how tight you turn the ring. So don't over torque it.