Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Touch Screens Are Distracting Drivers. What Are Carmakers Doing To Help?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Touch Screens Are Distracting Drivers. What Are Carmakers Doing To Help?

Old 01-24-23, 08:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
To me the brightness of that huge laptop sized LCD in the middle of the dashboard shocks the eyes and makes night time driving compromised. This is so obvious to me and it makes me not want to drive my Hyundai Azera at night. There is a way to turn the bright display off but the button is buried in multiple sub-menus. When fussing with these sub-menus while driving I’m swerving all over the road.
First thing I do in the parking lot of my rental car company is to turn off that screen. Or dim it greatly. You're right. That command is hard to find deep in the sub-menus every time. I wish there was a tiny icon bottom left corner of the main display page that one touch would turn it on and off.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 01-24-23, 09:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
First thing I do in the parking lot of my rental car company is to turn off that screen. Or dim it greatly. You're right. That command is hard to find deep in the sub-menus every time. I wish there was a tiny icon bottom left corner of the main display page that one touch would turn it on and off.
Why not bring a dark cloth or towel when you rent a car and just drape it over the offending screen?
Old 01-24-23, 09:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
So what do you propose? My favorite is the spike sticking up from the center of the steering wheel, but there's been resistance to that suggestion historically.
How many people who may have any influence in improving the bicycling environment react positively to your favorite proposal? Bicycling "advocates" with over-the-top as well as offensive proposals would serve most bicyclists well to put a lid on it.
Old 01-25-23, 04:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How many people who may have any influence in improving the bicycling environment react positively to your favorite proposal? Bicycling "advocates" with over-the-top as well as offensive proposals would serve most bicyclists well to put a lid on it.
Putting a lid on the spike would be silly. And counterproductive.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-25-23, 05:09 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sure it's appropriate to place high standards on self-driving cars but in the meantime, we don't even place liability & responsibility on the drivers of human-driven cars when they run over pedestrians and cyclists.
it's not unreasonable to put higher standards on a product compared to a human's average expectation & capacity. If we can develop shtuff to send things out into outer space, then what's the excuse for not developing such a logical expectation for public transit safety? Legally, we must adhere to posted speed limits, & if we dare to go 1 mph over that posted limit, it is grounds to be pulled over. Standards for such strict tolerances & expectations have been around longer than you & I. It's not hurting anyone to develop software & hardware to be more precise than a human.
Old 01-25-23, 10:45 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I found it all very distracting when I got the car 10 years ago and I imagine newer cars are even more sensory overloading probably looking more like airplane cockpits than automobile dashes.
In fact modern airliner flight decks are designed to limit clutter and distraction far more effectively than most automobiles.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-26-23, 03:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Why not bring a dark cloth or towel when you rent a car and just drape it over the offending screen?
Cuz I'll get really distracted when i inevitably falls off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-26-23, 03:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sure it's appropriate to place high standards on self-driving cars but in the meantime, we don't even place liability & responsibility on the drivers of human-driven cars when they run over pedestrians and cyclists.

I don't think you're even in the ballpark when you say we don't place liability on those drivers if you're talking about civil liability. Criminal liability is a different question.

I also don't think you're getting anywhere in this AI/human contrast thing until you can show anything that says the safety is even comparable.
Old 01-26-23, 03:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
it's not unreasonable to put higher standards on a product compared to a human's average expectation & capacity. If we can develop shtuff to send things out into outer space, then what's the excuse for not developing such a logical expectation for public transit safety? Legally, we must adhere to posted speed limits, & if we dare to go 1 mph over that posted limit, it is grounds to be pulled over. Standards for such strict tolerances & expectations have been around longer than you & I. It's not hurting anyone to develop software & hardware to be more precise than a human.

Little secret--there's a fudge factor because radar has a margin of error big enough that there's reasonable doubt if it's only 1 mph over.
Old 01-26-23, 03:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You know pretty much everybody on this forum drives, right? Are you really this desperate to find a dumb joke offensive? If I recall correctly, this spike was originally offered as a supposedly more psychologically sound alternative to seat belts.
Old 02-14-23, 01:02 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again as I have suggested many times, cell phones should have software in them that shuts them down if moving faster that 10 mph. If finding out what Sara is having for lunch is that damn important, pull over stop and phone her.
Old 02-14-23, 01:21 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again as I have suggested many times, cell phones should have software in them that shuts them down if moving faster that 10 mph. If finding out what Sara is having for lunch is that damn important, pull over stop and phone her.
I have advocated for this as well. It is something that could be implemented with existing smartphone with no changes to the devices. My cars have not allowed me to input navigation destinations while the car is moving but it is OK to text someone on my smartphone at any speed.

I do wish that the existing traffic cameras were used to take random photos of drivers and then the law enforcement agencies could use software to identify which motorists are using a cell phone. Then existing laws would permit fining the drivers as is now done when they exceed the speed limit or drive through red lights. But the political will to stand up to the telecom companies is not there. Bicyclists and pedestrians are expendible in the USA and that is not likely to change.
Old 02-14-23, 04:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Calsun
I have advocated for this as well. It is something that could be implemented with existing smartphone with no changes to the devices. My cars have not allowed me to input navigation destinations while the car is moving but it is OK to text someone on my smartphone at any speed.
With the exception of 911 calls. Sadly, I live in a city were random shootings occur on the freeways too often. I may need to call 911 while doing 100 mph some day.

I do wish that the existing traffic cameras were used to take random photos of drivers and then the law enforcement agencies could use software to identify which motorists are using a cell phone. Then existing laws would permit fining the drivers as is now done when they exceed the speed limit or drive through red lights. But the political will to stand up to the telecom companies is not there. Bicyclists and pedestrians are expendible in the USA and that is not likely to change.
Two other issues: 1. Lawmakers want to use their phones while driving. 2. If traffic cams start sending tickets to offenders then everyone goes back to texting in their laps instead of atop the steering wheel. I much prefer their phones at eye level with the top of the steering wheels where they MIGHT notice me ahead of them. Texting in their laps and I have no chance.

Like any hardcore drug addict, laws won't stop them.
Old 02-14-23, 05:15 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 809 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Two other issues: 1. Lawmakers want to use their phones while driving. 2. If traffic cams start sending tickets to offenders then everyone goes back to texting in their laps instead of atop the steering wheel. I much prefer their phones at eye level with the top of the steering wheels where they MIGHT notice me ahead of them. Texting in their laps and I have no chance.
Arizona was one of the last states to enact a hands-free phone law for motor vehicles. Apparently enough legislators figured that absent intensive intrusive enforcement, it might not affect actual behavior much. The law was finally enacted, as I recall because the Feds "strongly suggested" it be done. And several years later I see two things: drivers holding their phones in plain sight gabbing away, or drivers seemingly having an unsettling fascination with their groin area.

I think what might work better would be an automatic subpoena of phone records for anyone involved in a reportable collision, and strict liability if evidence shows phone use immediately prior or at the time of the crash. But we'd need data to see if even that would affect behavior.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-14-23, 05:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I do wish that the existing traffic cameras were used to take random photos of drivers and then the law enforcement agencies could use software to identify which motorists are using a cell phone.
I don't want to live in a society with that level of intrusive policing.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 02-14-23, 05:57 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Not a fan of touch screens in cars- basically they're a phone that's not hand-held. At least most (if not all) don't allow for most phone/ text/ GPS adjustments while moving. Of course that's annoying when you have a passenger that can perform those functions, but cannot.
In my older cars, I knew where the necessary switches were to turn on/off and adjust things. I realize that my 2015 Honda probably pales in comparison to newer cars, but there are so many commands that require "eyes off" I don't use many of them until I'm stopped. I usually would hit the wrong "button" on the screen anyway.
Back in the mid 80s, my boss purchased a Riviera. I remember it had a plastic film on the inside of the windshield (to minimize spiderweb injuries).
It also had a touch screen that was just a little better than looking at a Pong screen:
Old 02-15-23, 09:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
don't they have that now? I remember something of mine, on my phone, (maybe WAZE?) gave me an option to click "not driving" when the warning popped up. I know my OEM car's nav didn't let me type an address while I was moving. for some reason, the Kenwood aftermarket radio w/ a built in Garmin nav, that replaced the car's radio/nav, doesn't exhibit that feature
Old 02-15-23, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hands free dialing and talking being as easy as it is, phone calls really aren't the issue. It's clearly texting or activities that require the driver look at the screen instead of the road.

As a practical matter, the shut-off if over a particular speed is never going to be adopted unless there's some way to distinguish between phones in the hands of operators from those in the hands of passengers. Want to piss off a trainload of passengers? Shut off their phones.

It also needs to be able to distinguish between GPS use and other uses.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-15-23, 08:34 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
The touchscreens were put in cars, not to prevent the use of phones or other devices in a car, but because the NHTSA has mandated rear view cameras for all cars. This requires a screen on the dash. Car manufacturers simply utilized the screen for controls since the screen took up space in the dash. IT has created, in my opinion, a safety hazard, since you can no longer feel a control for heat, the defroster, or radio. I prefer knobs or levers, I can use those without taking my eyes off the road. I do not need to use a menu to find the control I need.

Often the NHTSA creates more issues than they solve.
Old 02-15-23, 09:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
it would be imposing a restriction on a passenger that has a phone. Some drivers dock the phone to use as a mean of a GPS unit, & would be hindering the driver of a safe means to commuting where they are needing to go.

There's no realistic safety means if it means "shutting down" the phone when in a mobile state at a given speed.
Old 02-16-23, 05:58 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
The touchscreens were put in cars, not to prevent the use of phones or other devices in a car, but because the NHTSA has mandated rear view cameras for all cars. This requires a screen on the dash.
No, it doesn't. The camera image in reverse can actually be shown in the (gasp!) REAR VIEW MIRROR! Now there's a concept!
By the way, if your car doesn't have one, you can buy a system at WalMart for $70 PYLE PLCM4550 - Backup Car Camera Rear View Mirror Screen Monitor System with Parking & Reverse Safety Distance Scale Lines - Walmart.com
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-16-23, 12:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by phughes
The touchscreens were put in cars, not to prevent the use of phones or other devices in a car, but because the NHTSA has mandated rear view cameras for all cars. This requires a screen on the dash. Car manufacturers simply utilized the screen for controls since the screen took up space in the dash. IT has created, in my opinion, a safety hazard, since you can no longer feel a control for heat, the defroster, or radio. I prefer knobs or levers, I can use those without taking my eyes off the road. I do not need to use a menu to find the control I need.

Often the NHTSA creates more issues than they solve.

I completely disagree with your opinion. If the menu is properly laid out, you develop a feel for it just as you would a knob or lever, and the learning curve is probably less with the digital control when you use a car that's new to you. I find it used to be a lot harder to locate the mechanical switches on the dash of a a rental car than it is to figure out where they are on a touch screen. Even better, there's often a lot of shortcuts right on the steering wheel.. In contrast, many of the mechanical switch dashes I would encounter in the past had pretty vital switches in odd positions that made them difficult to find and/or manipulate.

I get that we all prefer the things we're used to, but that's very shaky evidence
Old 02-16-23, 12:34 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
No, it doesn't. The camera image in reverse can actually be shown in the (gasp!) REAR VIEW MIRROR! Now there's a concept!
By the way, if your car doesn't have one, you can buy a system at WalMart for $70 PYLE PLCM4550 - Backup Car Camera Rear View Mirror Screen Monitor System with Parking & Reverse Safety Distance Scale Lines - Walmart.com
Yes, that is true. My point is, the reason manufacturers began putting screens in the car, was due to the requirement of rear view cameras. The began doing it in anticipation of the requirement. They then bgan using it for other functions.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-16-23, 01:42 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
I find it interesting that with all the technology that goes into F1 racing, the critical functions are still controlled by knobs and buttons. The digital display just tells them where the buttons currently are.
Can you imagine the average driver getting into his/her grocery getter and seeing something like this?

Old 02-16-23, 04:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I find it interesting that with all the technology that goes into F1 racing, the critical functions are still controlled by knobs and buttons. The digital display just tells them where the buttons currently are.
Can you imagine the average driver getting into his/her grocery getter and seeing something like this?

I confess! I do like the RPM lights!
Likes For JoeyBike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.