Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame mounted pump and/or CO2?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame mounted pump and/or CO2?

Old 06-25-21, 12:06 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm just here to see what others say about the Lezyne or other brands.
I was impressed by the design, fit and finish of the Lezyne Road Drive (medium size), and it has worked OK in my experience (which to be honest is limited, as I had >2500 miles of clear sailing before my most recent flat). Although the flexible hose is not very long, I think it's still enough to reduce the risk of yanking on the Presta valve while pumping - and it stores inside the pump.

I considered one of the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pumps, and it looks like a nice design, but I think it might be just a little bit too bulky for how I want to carry it in my frame bag.

I'm going to try the large version of the Road Drive as a compromise.
Old 06-25-21, 12:17 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Topeak Road Morph G with a little "foot" that makes it work more like a floor pump than a frame pump. It has a gauge too, but I don't know how accurate it is. It works just fine. I also have a Cannondale brand pump I bought for a second bike (got tired of moving the clamp that goes under a water bottle mount between bikes), but I haven't had to use that one yet.

I wouldn't know how to use CO2 cartridge but it seems wasteful to keep buying disposable canisters instead of buying a tool that should last for years. I assume they aren't refillable or people wouldn't leave them on the side of the road.
Old 06-25-21, 12:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Regarding the risk of snapping the stem off, I was taught to hold the wheel AND pump head while pumping. Once I learned that, I stopped shearing off stems. Is there more to it that I don't know about?
Old 06-25-21, 01:22 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have an old TopPeak pump that has two small diameter pump chambers side by side. The chuck has a high pressure and a high volume setting. Flip the chuck one way and it airs the tire up pretty fast, flip it the other way and finish up with the higher pressure. Has a built in gauge I don't pay attention to because it probably is very inaccurate. Does presta or schraeder valves. Never used a CO2 inflator and probably never would as long as my current set up still works.

As an aside I hate things attached to my bikes. Lights and a cyclo-computer is about all I will attach...I don't count bottle cages !! I wear a Camelbak Lobo with the bladder removed. I put the pump inside where the bladder goes (there is a mesh pocket for it but I am afraid it may fall out.)as well as any bigger gear that I may need to fit. All my tools/tube etc. go in the small upper pouch, wallet and keys in the roomier lower pouch. Bike stays with the clean lines : )
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 06-25-21, 01:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Regarding the risk of snapping the stem off, I was taught to hold the wheel AND pump head while pumping. Once I learned that, I stopped shearing off stems. Is there more to it that I don't know about?
Yeah, it's called a hose. Having a hose-equipped pump is way more efficient, allowing the user to more comfortably work, without having to manage the wheel. Much easier to wail on for those last few PSI.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-25-21, 01:28 PM
John Valuk

If the connection to the valve is rigidly mounted to the pump, then yes, I would try to hold things so as to avoid trauma to the valve stem. Been there, done that - but my current pump has a flexible hose leading to that connection.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 06-25-21, 01:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
What's everyone's preference?
My preference is to carry a pump and if I am going into an area with less amenities I carry an extra pump. Two mini pumps is easy to carry and doesn't add any significant weight..
Old 06-25-21, 02:38 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by chaadster
Having a hose-equipped pump is way more efficient, allowing the user to more comfortably work, without having to manage the wheel. Much easier to wail on for those last few PSI.
That's part of the reason that I'm still mulling over the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive - longer hose, on a swivel.

Plus, both Schrader and Presta, and the ability to hold the bottom of the pump against the ground while wailing on those last few psi.
Old 06-25-21, 02:44 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

MrWasabi after reading this thread...

Old 06-25-21, 02:55 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Lol, thanks again for the great input everyone. Right now for my riding type, I think I'll stick to a 20g CO2 cartridge (maybe 2) and inflator in my saddle bag and probably pickup the Lezyne Pocket Drive pump to carry under my cage as well. Anyone know the difference with the Pro version outside of more color options and maybe better build quality? I notice in the description it also has a valve core remover on the hose. Does the non pro version have this also? I'm looking at a $15 difference and don't mind spending it if it justifies it.
Old 06-25-21, 03:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Reading the descriptions, the regular one is constructed from CNC while the pro is "fully" constructed from CNC. That and the 19g weight difference tells me there's more metal parts on the pro. Not sure if any of those parts are that important, but I suppose the valve core tool is nice considering a previous post saying it was easy to accidentally unscrew the core when using the pump.
Old 06-25-21, 03:07 PM
MrWasabi

Yeah after hearing about all the folks having issues accidentally loosening their valve cores, I was thinking the same but would I be better off just carrying a separate, better valve core tool. Is the one that comes with it good enough? I'm running tubes btw so I won't need that tool for anything else most likely unless I add some sealant to my tubes for extra protection?
Old 06-25-21, 03:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Yeah after hearing about all the folks having issues accidentally loosening their valve cores, I was thinking the same but would I be better off just carrying a separate, better valve core tool. Is the one that comes with it good enough? I'm running tubes btw so I won't need that tool for anything else most likely unless I add some sealant to my tubes for extra protection?
If you ever buy a packet of extra valve cores (e.g., on Amazon), it will come with a tiny plastic thingy for dealing with valve cores. That is the best tool for carrying on the bike, as it weighs almost nothing and takes almost no space.

Some multi-tools have them, too - they often do double-duty as a spoke wrench.

The Silca Tattico that I recommended doesn't thread onto the valve, so unscrewing the core is a non-issue.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-21, 03:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I don't know. I have only ever used the plastic valve core tool that came with Slime way back in the 90's, and I can't imagine using it so frequently that it gets worn beyond use.
Old 06-25-21, 03:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My preference is to carry a pump and if I am going into an area with less amenities I carry an extra pump. Two mini pumps is easy to carry and doesn't add any significant weight..
Why not just one good pump?
Old 06-25-21, 03:25 PM
MrWasabi

I don't know. I have only ever used the plastic valve core tool that came with Slime way back in the 90's, and I can't imagine using it so frequently that it gets worn beyond use.
It sounds like the addition of the valve core tool shouldn't be a dealbreaker between the Pocket Drive and Pocket Drive Pro as I can grab a cheap, small solution to stash in my saddle bag.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 06-25-21, 03:31 PM
John Valuk

probably pickup the Lezyne Pocket Drive pump to carry under my cage as well. Anyone know the difference with the Pro version outside of more color options and maybe better build quality? I notice in the description it also has a valve core remover on the hose. Does the non pro version have this also? I'm looking at a $15 difference and don't mind spending it if it justifies it.
Do you need Schrader valve capability? If Presta-only is sufficient, then you might also consider the Road Drive.

That's available in three sizes, all of which are longer than the Pocket Drive. As a matter of personal preference, if I could comfortably carry a longer pump - the biggest Road Drive is just over 11" - I would. Full disclosure: a pump is my only inflation option right now, not a backup!

If it's going in a pocket or saddle bag, then sure, small pump is better than no pump.

Last edited by John Valuk; 06-25-21 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 04:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why not just one good pump?
I like to have a back up just in case one of the pumps broke or stop functioning properly.
Old 06-25-21, 05:39 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I always either wrapped a couple of fingers around the rim while I was pumping or, if you were reinflating after a flat, pump up the tire before refitting the wheel. Allow the wheel to swing free while pumping. The weight of the wheel alone isn’t enough to damage the valve stem, it’s the hauling on it while pumping that does it
Old 06-25-21, 07:43 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
One video I saw suggested just using Schrader adapters on the presta value to avoid the valve core issue.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-25-21, 08:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Since I'll go 1 or 2 years between flats, I only carry a CO2 inflator. I'm not sure why others might consider them something to fill up land fills, I put mine in the recycling bin. Metal is very recyclable. I sometimes crush them just to ensure they don't think they are still pressurized.
I do the same ... between my quads, of course.
Old 06-25-21, 09:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Carry a mini pump and CO2 for my tubeless setups. This is what I collected at mile 12 after climbing 950’ this morning.

Lost 3 PSI and rolled home 3 miles at 77 PSI with the nail. Plugged it tonight and it is holding fine, will see how it does in a couple of days when we get out of the 100*s. In the old days it would have been tire removal, new tube or patch. I just looked at the nail and rode on figuring if it got worse, I could plug it and reinflate with CO2.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-25-21 at 09:10 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-26-21, 05:40 AM
MrWasabi

Well I took the plunge on a Pocket Drive and also a Pocket Drive Pro since the deal was too good:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144067471646

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133797952231

Now I can have one on each bike. I don't want anything too big but still usable in a pinch and well made and they seem to fit the bill.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Edit: I don't know why both of my links are coming up with the standard Pocket Drive but if you search the sellers other items he has the Pro available too for $31 shipped, non Pro $20 shipped.

Last edited by MrWasabi; 06-26-21 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 06-26-21, 06:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
here's another vote for both

I acquired several pumps over the years but the one I carry has proven to be dependable, effective & easy to use Blackburn AirStik. that link goes to the current "anyvalve" model. I have 3 bikes so I mounted the same mount on all 3. I just have to the remember to move it to the bike I'm taking out

I have a very effective, dependable & easy to use CO2 inflator Genuine Innovations G2673 AirChuck. it's just a tiny little thing so I keep it in a small plastic zip bag w/ some patches

when I have a road or trailside flat repair I use the CO2 inflator. when riding in very cold weather I keep extra cartridges in a pocket because they don't really work well when frozen

having a hand pump is good for when I air down my MTB tires for a soft section but then want a cpl more lbs when I'm back on harder dirt. no sense to using a CO2 cartridge for just that

fwiw - I covert all wheels on all family bikes to Schrader valves. easy peasy, durable & flexible when hand pumping. also easy to inflate at a gas station if necessary

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-26-21 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-26-21, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
that stinks. btw, w/ a tube, I learned, w/ that kind of thing, there's no need to remove the wheel. just deflate, slip one tire bead of the rim, in just that section, sneak the tube out & patch. then re-insert, get the tire bead back on the rim in that section & pump up

after I tried it out with this thumb tac I realized I could have left the wheel on the bike

btw fun having a buddy for field repairs. cap tip to Zipp2001

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-26-21 at 07:26 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.