Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do old tires always go bad with age not use?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-25-21, 12:02 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

I have the original tires on my 1985 Univega Gran Turismo. The bike was only ridden a half a dozen times and then hung in the garage. I’ve been told to change the tires but after removing one after a flat caused by a track the tires look fine to me no cracks on the outside or inside and they still feel supple to me. I have new ones in order but hate to waste perfectly good tires.

Old 07-25-21, 12:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I don't think there is any way to predict what will happen.
Sometimes tires age very gracefully. I still have the original Vittoria tubulars for my 1974 Raleigh International. They hold air and look pretty good. I don't trust them enough to actually use them, though....

at the other end of the spectrum is a Michelin that I used briefly and then took off for perhaps 5 years. It stayed on the wheel during that time. I decided I should use that set of wheels again, and after perhaps 15 miles, the rear tire developed a huge lump in it. I got about 4 miles further (1 mile from home) when the tube managed to work its way between the layers and blow! The layers of cords had somehow delaminated from each other. Weird.

The tires were never built with the intent of lasting 10 or 20 years, so it's a bit misguided to expect an old tire to still perform to spec. I think the Michelin should have done better, but the Vittoria is doing far better than anyone should expect.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-25-21, 12:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Tubes can last 25 years. Tires about 10 years.

Old 07-25-21, 12:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Threads like this pop up from time to time and I have yet to see a good explanation. No doubt it varies based on what the heck is used to manufacture tires and how they are stored. I know I've had good luck with tires stored in my basement but there is no light there and no extremes of heat and cold. I have a set of IRC 700 x 30c tires that look good and ride good that are older than heck. I wouldn't take them on a multi day trip but I used them on a 50 mile ride recently.
Old 07-25-21, 12:55 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Steel beads in unused or seldom-used tires can still rust over time and hasten the deterioration of the fabric containing the bead. Tire blowouts out on the road are not fun.
Old 07-25-21, 01:10 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Looks like it's unanimous I have new Paselas on the way so I'll just pitch these.
Old 07-25-21, 01:36 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
You will like the Pasela Tires. I have them on a few bikes and a good tire for a good price. The thing with old tires is that they lose their flex and grip, in other words they get hard like old brake pads. I have had a blowout on an old tire that appeared to be ok. I was trying out some adjustments I made on a bike and everything was fine. The bike was feeling great and I was cruising fairly fast on a down hill and it just blew! It must have delaminated or something. It scared the crap out of me but I was able to slow down without losing control. Since then if they feel hardened or show signs of age they go in the bin. It ain’t worth the risk.
Old 07-25-21, 08:48 PM
robertj298 

I've read these tires are quit rare because they are a true radial tire made by
National Tire Co Ltd Japan and were not made very long.
Old 07-25-21, 11:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wouldn't take a chance with old tires. Even if they look okay. Too much can go wrong if a tire fails. You can buy decent new tires for around $20. Continental Ultra Sport II or III are excellent values, although they're notoriously tight fitting and it's handy to keep a bead jack around, like the one sold by Kool Stop, just to mount those tires.

Ozone and other environmental conditions (including UV) are a big factor in the longevity of rubber and plastics.

I've seen indoor ozone generators destroy rubber and plastics. Sometimes the generators were deliberately installed, those "ionic air cleaner" things people used to plug in around the house, thinking it would only "clean the air." Those ionic air cleaners destroyed items in my grandparents' home -- outlet plates, switch plates, coffee makers, even insulation around wiring, anything made of plastic near the ionic air cleaners. And it sprayed sticky dusty residue around every outlet where those things were plugged in.

Other times it's an old, defective appliance. About 10 years ago a neighbor, who smoked like a chimney, was complaining about her TV. I offered to take a look. When I tried to turn the set around to check the back, the back of the TV crumbled like potato chips. The insides were coated in a black, sticky goo, which was also sprayed on the wall behind the TV. I realized it was from her incessant smoking -- she probably smoked two packs a day and, as far as anyone could tell, didn't eat or drink much. She appeared to subsist almost entirely on tobacco.

I told her the old set was a safety hazard, and offered to give her one of my old but good Sony Trinitron portables if she'd let me discard her old TV. She agreed. I was concerned about a fire hazard that would affect others nearby.

Same thing can happen with many old electronics, including older laser printers.

So besides normal environmental hazards, there's generalized pollution that plagues almost every city, and localized pollution in our own homes, all of which can degrade rubber and plastics.
Old 07-25-21, 11:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
You will like the Pasela Tires. I have them on a few bikes and a good tire for a good price. The thing with old tires is that they lose their flex and grip, in other words they get hard like old brake pads. I have had a blowout on an old tire that appeared to be ok. I was trying out some adjustments I made on a bike and everything was fine. The bike was feeling great and I was cruising fairly fast on a down hill and it just blew! It must have delaminated or something. It scared the crap out of me but I was able to slow down without losing control. Since then if they feel hardened or show signs of age they go in the bin. It ain’t worth the risk.
Just like Kabuki12 says, old clincher tires delaminate where the plies overlap under the tread, first causing "outer ply failure", followed by the single inner ply then allowing the tube to escape it's confines (blowout).
The polymers in clinchers, as opposed to the cotton or silk threads in old tubulars, can tend to separate into their solid and liquid constituents. So the plasticizers (oils) may accumulate on the surfaces of the fibers, causing the adhesive compounds to also degrade and lose their grip where the outer plies overlap.
Tubulars generally do not overlap their plies and rely on adhesives like clinchers do. Instead, the two plies both get folded at their edges where the stitching holds the tire into a tubular section, with no reliance on shear adhesion of overlapping plies.

And as for the tread, it hardens with age, to the point where it wears very rapidly as the surface crumbles away where it meets asphalt.

If those are perhaps National/Panaracer-made radial tires, know that there is no worse-performing tire ever made for a bicycle. Handling/steering will dramatically improve with their replacement.
Old 07-26-21, 03:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
I have used a lot of old tires and most with no ill effects. However...

And old and somewhat worn set of tubulars failed catastrophically. While riding my firs Peugeot PX10, the rear tire blew a thumb size hole causing me to skid slightly. Lucky it was not the front tire...

The second failure was near total. The tires were NOS items that had hung in a bike shop's basement storage room for a long time. I bought the pair for twenty dollars, thinking "what a great find and bargain". Both tires failed completely, ending up is a semi-shredded state and, more or less, falling apart. This situation was most pronounced on the gum wall areas of the tires and the wire beads. Also, the tire liners, the plastic style, were a total mess and actually causing flats...

So, old tires do go bad, but not necessarily always. That said, I choose not to use them anymore, just in case they fail me at speed or cornering. And ask yourself this - can you feel a peace of mind while trusting an old tire that just might let go at the worst possible time? I don't anymore and why should I. The tires on my most recent build/restoration set me back less than $40.00 CND for the set and they are a treat to float down the road on...
Old 07-26-21, 04:34 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,298 Times in 1,110 Posts
I bought this bike back in February and the tires looked "ok" but I knew they had to be pretty aged as I what I could find on them, they were probably 35 years old. I did not have time to work on the bike when I got it so I didn't order tires. When I did have time to get started on it the tires I had looked into were all gone. But from time to time I would take it down a bike path to get coffee just because I enjoy the bike. It didn't take long for them to start showing their age. If you like the idea that they are original and opt to keep them, take it easy and stay close to home.

My Paselas will be here today, I hope I like them as much as people say I will.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-26-21, 08:48 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Ozone is the enemy of rubber, especially natural rubber. There are anti ozonant products available for using in rubber mixes, but many companies use little of it or none at all. These products have a purple hue so they cant be used in the white or tan rubber mixes. so both of those rubbers will NOT have any ozone protection.

canklecat made correct observations but just didnt know the chemistry.

-SP
Old 07-26-21, 11:11 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I've read these tires are quit rare because they are a true radial tire made by National Tire Co Ltd Japan and were not made very long.
They weren't made for very long because they didn't work out very well. They had a weird, squishy/squirmy ride quality. There's no real point to radial tires on a bicycle, anyway. They're used on car tires because cars can't lean in corners, which means the contact patch of a bias-ply tire lifts partly off the road in hard cornering, resulting in loss of traction. The more flexible sidewall of a radial tire keeps more of the contact patch on the road, resulting in better handling. But bikes can lean in corners, so the contact patch stays the same size; it just shifts off the centerline of the tire when you're cornering.

I suspect some marketing person decided that having a radial bike tire sounded like it would be an improvement over a bias-ply tire without thinking too deeply about it.
Old 07-26-21, 01:46 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I’m in the same situation with an 85 Torpado Nuevo Sprint that I just bought. Not a well kept bike but low miles on the stock Michelin 700-20s on it. In this situation on my very short ride, I was at least able to say that the bike rode very nicely and may be a keeper. The OP on the other hand has old tires that degraded his riding experience. One never knows, and it is hard to resist when that first trial ride is calling you. His ride will surely improve.
Old 07-26-21, 01:52 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In a hot garage next to a window? Maybe 3-5 years.

In the wine cellar wrapped up to keep oxygen away? A couple decades?
Old 07-26-21, 01:55 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
While you are at it replace the brake pads. They get hard so don't stop nearly as well as new pads. It's cheap insurance. If I refurbish an old bike, no matter how good condition it is in, if it has the OEM tires I replace them along with the brake pads. I've seen it too many times where the tires looked good but soon became unusable once the bike was ridden.
Old 07-26-21, 01:58 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
It's pretty subjective, and keep in mind that heat cycling of the rubber is important, as it is with motorcycle tires. If tires sit for a long time with no heat cycling, they may look great but be going pretty hard and gripless.