Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Trying to pick a wheelset

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 06:24 PM
sebasbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Finally got my coveted wait BAREKNUCKLE. Beautiful frame.
I have everything ready except the wheelset.

According to Zack gallardo these are the best budget wheelsets:

Sun m13
Mavic cxp elite
Velocity aero
Velocity deep v
Should i get these ? Velo mine has the deep v for 229 + shipping 32 spokes. My first fixie was a generic china fixie and the rims kind of looked like them so I'm scared they aren't good and are very heavy.

Going to call retrogression tomorrow and ask when they'll be getting the tb14 in stock again.

What do you guys think ?
Old 08-22-21, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Those are all rims which can be built into wheels. Depending on the hubs they could be decent. However Velocity doesn't make the Aero rim anymore so be aware of that.

As far as a Zack Gallardo, he can say whatever but I wouldn't look at a budget set if you just got yourself a nice bike and are trying to upgrade from some cheapo stuff.

My favorite hubs are the All-City New Sheriff SLs and they are not super expensive and pretty light. Velocity is a good choice for rims but the Deep V's are quite heavy I would probably do A23s or Quills or if looking to save a bit of cash the H+Sons stuff is actually pretty good. I have a set laced to the Archtypes and they are great.
Old 08-22-21, 09:47 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Putting together another fixed and am probably gonna go with a budget set of weinmann dp18s laced to formula hubs because that’s what I got handy.
But if I were going to spend cash money, I’d most likely go with the same h plus son wheel set mentioned above.
Old 08-22-21, 10:06 PM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Those are all rims which can be built into wheels. Depending on the hubs they could be decent. However Velocity doesn't make the Aero rim anymore so be aware of that.

As far as a Zack Gallardo, he can say whatever but I wouldn't look at a budget set if you just got yourself a nice bike and are trying to upgrade from some cheapo stuff.

My favorite hubs are the All-City New Sheriff SLs and they are not super expensive and pretty light. Velocity is a good choice for rims but the Deep V's are quite heavy I would probably do A23s or Quills or if looking to save a bit of cash the H+Sons stuff is actually pretty good. I have a set laced to the Archtypes and they are great.
Yeah, they're all laced to formula sealed hubs. I want to get h+sons but they are far from my budget.
Old 08-22-21, 10:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by sebasbike
Yeah, they're all laced to formula sealed hubs. I want to get h+sons but they are far from my budget.
Wellll, what is your budget?

And within that budget, what is your priority? Light weight, aerodynamics, a certain look?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-21, 10:16 PM
sebasbike

350. And has to be black lol
Likes For sebasbike:
Old 08-22-21, 11:00 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
You can actually do a lot with 350.
I think the Wabi sub 15s are right around there. I like what I hear about ‘em and if’n I had 350 bucks to spend on a wheelset...
Old 08-23-21, 01:53 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you want budget wheels and live in the US (people should always specify when asking about buying stuff) then look at BWW. I've bought two road tubular wheelsets from them. They're well built and I got them at my door in NC in about three or four days.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Fixed-SS/

Discount codes:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Coupons.html

*edit* I was going to say they have discounts for Bike Forum members but I don't see it on their website anymore.

Last edited by Lazyass; 08-23-21 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 07:36 AM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by Rage
You can actually do a lot with 350.
I think the Wabi sub 15s are right around there. I like what I hear about ‘em and if’n I had 350 bucks to spend on a wheelset...
yeah , ive just heard that the wabi 15s are somewhat fragile. those were my original choice, so i ended up choosing the tb14's. sad thing is they are out of stock now on retrogresh.

i guess im going to call them Tuesday when they open and ask if they are going to be in stock soon again.
Old 08-23-21, 07:37 AM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you want budget wheels and live in the US (people should always specify when asking about buying stuff) then look at BWW. I've bought two road tubular wheelsets from them. They're well built and I got them at my door in NC in about three or four days.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Fixed-SS/

Discount codes:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Coupons.html

*edit* I was going to say they have discounts for Bike Forum members but I don't see it on their website anymore.
yeah, my budget if 350 i would strech out a little more. i checked those out and they are nice but not what im looking for thanks anyways.
Old 08-24-21, 06:36 PM
netjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah , ive just heard that the wabi 15s are somewhat fragile. those were my original choice, so i ended up choosing the tb14's. sad thing is they are out of stock now on retrogresh.

i guess im going to call them Tuesday when they open and ask if they are going to be in stock soon again.
Boo I was looking for the sub 15s. Fragile?
Old 08-24-21, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I would up that budget...LOL you got yourself a nice frame pimp it out dude!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-25-21, 01:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by netjack
I hit 3000 miles on my Sub 15's and they're great. I did break a spoke nipple a couple of weeks ago but that can happen to any wheel eventually. For really light wheels and a low spoke count they're not as flexy as I was expecting and well worth the money. I'm waiting on a custom wheelset I ordered for my Wabi and then the 15's will be going on my Swobo rain bike. Only reason I ordered new wheels was because I want tubulars and I do prefer a higher spoke count but I know I'm in the minority on both counts.
Old 08-25-21, 05:42 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
...yeah , ive just heard that the wabi 15s are somewhat fragile...
I can tell you from long-term experience that is incorrect. They may not be CX or heavy-duty off-road wheels, but overly fragile they are not. They are narrow rims so cramming fat tires onto them doesn't make sense anyway. One of the best bicycle buys I ever made. And if you need something now - the best thing is that they come in black and ARE in stock.

Originally Posted by netjack
No
Old 08-25-21, 06:28 AM
sebasbike

I would up that budget...LOL you got yourself a nice frame pimp it out dude!
there isnt much to choose from. if they had the wheelset i wanted i would buy it right now but with all honesty, i live in another country but im currently in the US and going back to my country in 2 weeks.
one thing is if they steal my bike having 350-400 wheelset , another is it getting stolen with phil woods or somethign along the line. so i also have to factor that into the equation. having nice things in my country is rough lol.

ive gotten "jumped" while ridding having a chinese ride, wouldnt want that to happen with my new ride lol. thats why i chose a bareknuckle. has no branding so its less appealing
Old 08-25-21, 06:31 AM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I can tell you from long-term experience that is incorrect. They may not be CX or heavy-duty off-road wheels, but overly fragile they are not. They are narrow rims so cramming fat tires onto them doesn't make sense anyway. One of the best bicycle buys I ever made. And if you need something now - the best thing is that they come in black and ARE in stock.

No
yeah its what i head. im sure any wheelset would be ok for me at this point. yesterday i factored into account buying everything separately and just getting it built in my country that manual labor is pretty cheap.

regarding the wabi's i think im just going to bull the trigger on those or the velocity deeps
Old 08-25-21, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

there isnt much to choose from. if they had the wheelset i wanted i would buy it right now but with all honesty, i live in another country but im currently in the US and going back to my country in 2 weeks.
one thing is if they steal my bike having 350-400 wheelset , another is it getting stolen with phil woods or somethign along the line. so i also have to factor that into the equation. having nice things in my country is rough lol.

ive gotten "jumped" while ridding having a chinese ride, wouldnt want that to happen with my new ride lol. thats why i chose a bareknuckle. has no branding so its less appealing
Ahh gotcha, didn't know all that. I would get a Glock G27 then whatever wheelset you please. I think Gaston could help with the theft, can't steal a bike easily with a hole in the head
Old 08-26-21, 05:50 AM
sebasbike

Ahh gotcha, didn't know all that. I would get a Glock G27 then whatever wheelset you please. I think Gaston could help with the theft, can't steal a bike easily with a hole in the head
They protect the Thieves in my country lol. You would be in jail for+20 years. Regardless I like 43x more
Likes For sebasbike:
Old 08-26-21, 01:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

They protect the Thieves in my country lol. You would be in jail for+20 years. Regardless I like 43x more
They tend to protect thieves just about everywhere you just have to be the right kinda of thief.

I am not a huge 9MM fan I like a little extra oomph but still a good tool in the toolbox and probably 9mm is easier to find outside of the U.S.
Old 08-26-21, 01:40 PM
sebasbike

They tend to protect thieves just about everywhere you just have to be the right kinda of thief.

I am not a huge 9MM fan I like a little extra oomph but still a good tool in the toolbox and probably 9mm is easier to find outside of the U.S.
Been at gun point 2 times, you really can't think of anything u just hand them your stuff tbh.
Old 08-26-21, 02:52 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I wouldn't say the Sub 15s are fragile, but they are ultralight wheels so they have some limitations - rider weight, very aggressive riding, gravel... Have you considered the Wabi Lightweights? People overlook them, but they are still only 1725g, which is pretty light. And, they are 32/32 so they hold up well for all weights and riding.
Old 08-26-21, 03:35 PM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
I wouldn't say the Sub 15s are fragile, but they are ultralight wheels so they have some limitations - rider weight, very aggressive riding, gravel... Have you considered the Wabi Lightweights? People overlook them, but they are still only 1725g, which is pretty light. And, they are 32/32 so they hold up well for all weights and riding.
I just bought a pair of velocity deep v. I got them on velomine for 229. I just got tierd of going in circles and went for these. When I get tierd of them i guess I'll just buy the h+ sons i originally wanted.
Old 08-27-21, 07:30 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
I considered the Wabi sub15s but the inner width is pretty narrow. Are the lightweights any wider?
Old 08-28-21, 10:25 AM
sebasbike

Ended up buying the velocity deep v with origin hubs. Ilyk how that goes. For 229 was a great cheap alternative