Redwood Rd. Fatality

Old 09-06-21, 06:14 PM
ztmlgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Redwood Rd. Fatality

It happened today at around 2:30 PM on the section of Redwood Rd just south of the Pinehurst intersection. I ride this section of Redwood Rd all the time. I rode by the same spot 30 minutes after it happened around 3:00 PM to see a massive police presence. I didn't know what had happened when I rode by as there was no wreckage, no bicycle visible, and no other indication as to what had happened. "VEH VS BICYCLIST" read the CHP call log. Apparently a hit and run.

Old 09-06-21, 07:00 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Crazy...it's one of those things we all know as road cyclists...it can happen anywhere at any time. RIP, I hope they catch the scumbag that killed the rider.
Old 09-06-21, 08:14 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
Wrenching. I'm regularly on that road on either moto or bicycle. Hoping the perp is caught.
Old 09-07-21, 06:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
Sounds like a body was dumped, no bicycle.
https://www.ktvu.com/news/body-disco...w_fcX_rMguglQ8
Old 09-07-21, 07:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

So wait, it's no longer a bicyclist vs car? That's way off from the initial CHP report!
Old 09-07-21, 07:56 PM
ztmlgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Sounds like a body was dumped, no bicycle.
https://www.ktvu.com/news/body-disco...w_fcX_rMguglQ8
Thanks for the update. This makes much more sense. It just didn't make sense when I rode by the scene why the deceased was lying in a dirt pullout by the side of the road, and no wreckage whatsoever, not even a trace of a bicycle. It just didn't seem possible that a bicyclist could have been struck from behind and would have ended up in that dirt pullout, rather than in the middle of the road. Not sure why the CHP call log referenced VEH VS BICYCLIST but maybe that was the initial obvious interpretation by the first responder on the scene. Not sure why this news makes me feel better, given that there is still a deceased body by the side of the road and a family left to grieve, but it does just knowing that it was not another bicyclist hit and run..

This pic shows where the deceased was lying, in the dirt pullout behind the patrol car on a relatively straight section of roadway on Redwood Rd.
Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 09-07-21, 08:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
My only guess is maybe someone reported it as a possible hit cyclist to 911.
Old 09-08-21, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Well, this story sure changed from sad and angering to creepy and disturbing, didn't it?

Now imagine you're on a bike and you pass a van dumping a body.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-08-21, 03:00 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by ztmlgr
Thanks for the update. This makes much more sense. It just didn't make sense when I rode by the scene why the deceased was lying in a dirt pullout by the side of the road, and no wreckage whatsoever, not even a trace of a bicycle. It just didn't seem possible that a bicyclist could have been struck from behind and would have ended up in that dirt pullout, rather than in the middle of the road. Not sure why the CHP call log referenced VEH VS BICYCLIST but maybe that was the initial obvious interpretation by the first responder on the scene. Not sure why this news makes me feel better, given that there is still a deceased body by the side of the road and a family left to grieve, but it does just knowing that it was not another bicyclist hit and run..

Yeah I felt the same way. Weird, because it literally doesn't matter, I could come out my driveway and be hit 100' from my house. It can happen anywhere, but we all seem to worry more when it's a road we are familiar with. It makes sense to be worried when it's a hit and run, but still...what are the chances the same driver would come through and hit a second rider in the same spot? Anyway... I still haven't ridden on Dougherty Road since Greg Knapp was killed there, even though technically that road is as safe as it could practically be with the bike lane separated from the road as much as it is. It's a real thing, even if it doesn't make much sense.

BTW, there was a hit and run (non-fatal) on Camino Tassajara on the Dublin side a few weeks ago. I don't know or think it made the news, but I know someone who works for the city. The bike lanes can't come soon enough on that stretch!
Old 09-10-21, 06:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
On the plus side, it's now much more likely the perpetrator will be caught. A random hit-and-run is nearly impossible to solve.