Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Antelope 830 (USA made) better than a Giant ATX980?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek Antelope 830 (USA made) better than a Giant ATX980?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 08:24 AM
777funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
90s Trek Antelope 830 (USA made) better than a 90s Giant ATX980?

My oldest is considering buying his younger brother's USA Trek 830 (at $80 which I consider a good price). He's also considering buying a Giant ATX 980 for $100. I'm telling him, that the USA Trek is probably a better bike for the money. Am I wrong?

He just wants a smooth riding not overly heavy mountain bike that fits him. He does well on the 830 in the fit dept. He is 6' 1" and age 17.

TREK:

Giant:

Likes For 777funk:
Old 09-25-21, 09:09 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those bikes are so old it just doesn't matter.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-25-21, 09:10 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Why? What's wrong with old bikes? Not everyone cares about disk brakes, better suspension, or special shifting mechanisms.., at least I don't. Am I missing something else?

I'm plenty happy with non indexing thumb shifters and manually finding gears as long as stops are properly set.

EDIT: to add... No Carbon Fiber in the price range I'm shopping (used market at that). And to me... shaving 2-3 lbs by adding money in the Aluminum or steel frame category isn't worth it. 2-3 lbs could be overeating for a week.

Last edited by 777funk; 09-25-21 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For 777funk:
Old 09-25-21, 10:18 AM
777funk

So is it accurate to say they're equal in (old) quality?
Old 09-25-21, 10:26 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Personally I’d want the Trek. I imagine the giant suspension is worn out, and the trek is surely much lighter
Likes For denaffen:
Old 09-25-21, 10:32 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I would be reluctant to buy a 25 year old full suspension mountain bike. Suspensions require maintenance and you would have no idea how well it was taken care of or how it was used. However, at $100 you wouldn't lose much if it turned out to be a dud unless you tried to correct potentially expensive problems
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-25-21, 10:54 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by denaffen
Personally I’d want the Trek. I imagine the giant suspension is worn out, and the trek is surely much lighter
I think of suspension as a good way to add weight (I don't care for suspension since I don't go off roading). But... supposedly the Giant is under 30 lbs. I'd be shocked if this is truly the case.

We weighed the Trek and it's about 34 lbs.

Last edited by 777funk; 09-25-21 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For 777funk:
Old 09-25-21, 11:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
Why? What's wrong with old bikes? Not everyone cares about disk brakes, better suspension, or special shifting mechanisms.., at least I don't. Am I missing something else?

I'm plenty happy with non indexing thumb shifters and manually finding gears as long as stops are properly set.

EDIT: to add... No Carbon Fiber in the price range I'm shopping (used market at that). And to me... shaving 2-3 lbs by adding money in the Aluminum or steel frame category isn't worth it. 2-3 lbs could be overeating for a week.
Whats it matter what you are shopping for?...this thread is about one kid buying another's bike.

The Trek is really entry level the price sounds fine, and it's it's one I would select without actually seeing either since it doesn't have suspension to worry about.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-25-21, 11:48 AM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
That ATX is a far better bike, if the suspension is in good shape. The trek is probably running 200gs components, while the ATX is running LX or better. Plus you could get more than $100 for that Judy on Ebay.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 09-25-21, 12:16 PM
777funk

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Whats it matter what you are shopping for?...this thread is about one kid buying another's bike.

The Trek is really entry level the price sounds fine, and it's it's one I would select without actually seeing either since it doesn't have suspension to worry about.
It really doesn't matter what I think of course. But my take on it is that the Trek may be a more solid bike. It's also made in USA. Just my opinion. He's wanting to buy the Giant.
Likes For 777funk:
Old 09-25-21, 06:49 PM
777funk

My son bought the Giant and it's a nice bike. It had lots of shift issues that weren't mentioned by the seller and he didn't thoroughly test. But... it's an old bike. We'll fix it.

I think it's on par with my second boy's Trek from what I can tell. It has knobby tires that probably would annoy me a little on pavement. But... good traction and I would suspect it'd be a nice stable (and safe) bike for the bike trail and road.

It's 4 lbs lighter than the Trek (hard tail). Pretty good for a bike with shocks.
Likes For 777funk:
Old 09-27-21, 10:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Either seems like an excellent choice, and he should purchase the one that fits best. I had an 830 that was a great bike and am a big fan of Trek, but Giant is excellent too. Don't listen to any naysayers about old, well maintained bikes. My wife and I have ridden them at times for years and loved the experiences. In fact, she is riding her "old" (25 years) Trek MTB hardtail now since her SC Superlight was stolen last week, and rides it as well as the SC and had a fine time on it this weekend.
Old 09-27-21, 11:41 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Old bikes are awesome !! At 80 bux you should buy that old Trek for yourself !!
Old 09-27-21, 12:41 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I would check the Trek again for a 'Made In' sticker - I am 99.9% sure that bike was made in Taiwan (margin of error +/- 0.1%). The USA made Trek steel mountain bikies of that era were the 900 series and had lugged steel frames. Earlier 800 series were also made in USA but I believe they would have been lugged construction, not TIG welded.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-30-21, 05:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
As I read the thread, my thoughts were that the Giant is the better bike. I'd prefer to have v-brakes over the cantilevers on the Trek. Indexed versus friction on the Trek, (grip shifts can easily be swapped for trigger shifters, thus eliminating the separate brake levers too). Plus, the Giant looks longer in the top tube and gives easier reach adjustment via the threadless stem. Overall, it's a no brainer.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-30-21, 07:40 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Old bikes are awesome !! At 80 bux you should buy that old Trek for yourself !!
I would but the son that bought the Giant sold me his Fuji with Valite tubing (in dire need of some repairs) for $10. It's my all time favorite mountain bike. It has inverted tread 26x1.75" tires that handle pavement great. Almost as smooth as a road bike. No truck tire knobs on this one.

Old 09-30-21, 06:01 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
As I read the thread, my thoughts were that the Giant is the better bike. I'd prefer to have v-brakes over the cantilevers on the Trek. Indexed versus friction on the Trek, (grip shifts can easily be swapped for trigger shifters, thus eliminating the separate brake levers too). Plus, the Giant looks longer in the top tube and gives easier reach adjustment via the threadless stem. Overall, it's a no brainer.

Please explain how there is "better adjustment" with threadless stems?. With a quill stem, it can telescope up and down (an actual adjustment)
Old 09-30-21, 07:29 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Please explain how there is "better adjustment" with threadless stems?. With a quill stem, it can telescope up and down (an actual adjustment)
Read what you bolded yourself.
- ease, not better
- reach, not up and down

Ease, since threadless stem changing doesn't involve removing handlebar-mounted controls. That's the biggest limitation to changing quill stems.
Old 09-30-21, 07:44 PM
atnyc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
Yes. You're missing the condition of the bikes.

I agree with cxwrench
Originally Posted by cxwrench
With older bikes, especially old entry level bikes, the modal and components level don't really matter. Far more important is the condition the bikes are in. Are all the components in working order? Do the shocks still work, or stuck? Do the index shifters still shift as index? ...

Last edited by atnyc; 09-30-21 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For atnyc:
Old 10-01-21, 04:55 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by atnyc
Yes. You're missing the condition of the bikes.

I agree with cxwrench

With older bikes, especially old entry level bikes, the modal and components level don't really matter. Far more important is the condition the bikes are in. Are all the components in working order? Do the shocks still work, or stuck? Do the index shifters still shift as index? ...
Condition doesn't matter to much to me. I prefer bikes that are way out of adjustment or have (fixable) issues at a good price vs "good working" bikes at a higher price. Usually a seller's version of "good working" isn't my take on it anyways. Once in a while something being sold really has been maintained and is as good or better than I expect.

I have only one or two that are so entry level that they weren't worth fixing the rest have been a good investment of $20 on something needing some help (many are vintage Euro 10 speeds along with a few mountain bikes).
Old 10-01-21, 07:30 AM
atnyc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
In that case, the make and modal matters even less!

It's the condition "whether it's fixable" that matters 100%

Total waste of brain cell.