Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-19-21, 09:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Low volume week, family vacation to Blowing Rock. Lots of hiking time.

I did get in two short 1hr-ish climb workouts. Just ride down off the house from the mountain, do a loop and grab a couple little climbs back to the house at SS and threshold. Some cat 3 and a cat 2 climb.

Observations:
-wish I lived there
-Zwift outside of radio tower doesn't have steep climbs
-if you look, there is steepness in NC mountains, not like 4-mile long mega % Italian stuff.......but still.....more than most Zwift climbs have for % grade in parts
-"downhill then up" cheated elevation gain really is a big thing somewhere like Raleigh.....you gain a ton of "up" by riding rollers. In real mountains, not so as you have to slow for corners down and you don't gain any cheated elevation. All earned.
-had to use the tubeless 38 gravel tires due to house location.......those cost me something going up the paved roads
-I don't know......I may just make TT and cyclocross my "thing" then have the wife let me do a couple of the GFNS USAC partner timed hill climb segment events each year and ditch any return to road race. I feel I'd have more fun a couple weekends a year doing that and finishing XX of XXX for fun than finishing with road rash sliding out in a parking lot crit.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-19-21, 11:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Super fun day on the MTB with my son yesterday. Finished the week with 787 tss. 600 is a big week for me, so this was huge. I'm taking the day off (other than mellow commuting).
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-19-21, 12:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Track on Saturday with wife. 2x2K TTT, 25 mph (meh) and 4K TTT riding two z2 laps and one fast last taking turns leading out. Nice day at the track. Sunday was a 30 mile endurance ride along the coast - hotter than it has been lately but nice.

I am enjoying the sub 170 pound weight. I seem a lot faster and more than the weight loss would calc out in speed gain. I just need to be skinny. So be it.
Old 07-20-21, 01:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Highest training load since Feb 2020. Was even able to do some (mediocre) intervals yesterday, at the end of a 19.5 hour week. Not doing much for the next day or two. It is good timing - the jet stream is dumping all of the west coast's smoke on us.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-20-21, 02:31 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Still training for Cx here, today was 14x45sec on at 123% and off for 45 sec. wasn’t tough at all, which I’m going to take as a good thing as this adaptive training thing keeps gradually increasing the difficulty of my stuff each week. Might race a crit on Saturday and maybe double up back to back just for laughs. I have not raced in two years lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 07-20-21, 04:01 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Highest training load since Feb 2020. Was even able to do some (mediocre) intervals yesterday, at the end of a 19.5 hour week. Not doing much for the next day or two. It is good timing - the jet stream is dumping all of the west coast's smoke on us.
19.5 hours is huge!
Old 07-20-21, 06:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Yesterday in town TT ride. One KOM surge then just whatever. Just wasnt in mood for anything. 100 TSS in like 65min.

490w 1min and 455w 1.5min in aero. One and done.

I kind of want to see if I can get up to 400 for longer, like 3 to 4min. It is just a time range I am totally unfamiliar with training for on purpose. Sounds like Hermes wheelhouse to me. 1min through 4min.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-21-21, 03:20 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
I skipped Worlds last night to try and be fresher for 2 crits on Thursday.

I've signed up for a 3/4 road race on the 8th of Aug and I've got 3 weeks of crits between now and then, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to manage not going over 40 points (22/40 now) before then. I think I need to just focus on getting the points and not try to get cute.

Last edited by Yep; 07-21-21 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 05:53 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I I think I need to just focus on getting the points and not try to get cute.
Take a lesson from Cavendish and get it while you can. Smash the crits and then get the promoter to change categories for the RR and smash that.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-21-21, 07:50 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
Take a lesson from Cavendish and get it while you can. Smash the crits and then get the promoter to change categories for the RR and smash that.
Yeah, I think that's right. If I've made the goal of getting an upgrade, I think that needs to trump any particular race.
Likes For Yep:
Old 07-21-21, 10:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Most of my go-to road races are cancelled for this year. I'll probably race Suisun, and Oakland if they have it, but I'm going switch my focus to CX for now.
Old 07-21-21, 01:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
A few hours this morning on zone 2. Pretty tired, stiff and uncooperative legs after track last night and less sleep than ideal. Still, it was nice out and I got to work on my funny tan lines, so that's a bonus.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-22-21, 08:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Not doing this yet but it seems interesting. Blood flow restriction for training and recovery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/s...sultPosition=1

No, there is no outbreak of cuts. But the American swimmer Michael Andrew is wearing tourniquet-like bands in the practice pool. Galen Rupp, the defending bronze medalist in the marathon, sometimes straps similar bands to his legs while training.

They are among the elite athletes who have become disciples of a practice known as blood flow restriction, which is exactly what it sounds like: cutting off blood flow to certain muscles for limited periods to both enhance the effects of training and stimulate recovery.
Old 07-22-21, 08:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm not expert, but that sounds like a bad idea.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-22-21, 08:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Dentist intervals yesterday. Two old crowns removed - 1.5 hours of chair time TSS = 100.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-23-21, 04:07 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Not doing this yet but it seems interesting. Blood flow restriction for training and recovery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/s...sultPosition=1

No, there is no outbreak of cuts. But the American swimmer Michael Andrew is wearing tourniquet-like bands in the practice pool. Galen Rupp, the defending bronze medalist in the marathon, sometimes straps similar bands to his legs while training.

They are among the elite athletes who have become disciples of a practice known as blood flow restriction, which is exactly what it sounds like: cutting off blood flow to certain muscles for limited periods to both enhance the effects of training and stimulate recovery.
Think of it as "altitude training" for a single body part.

Oxygen deprivation as a training mechanism.
Old 07-23-21, 04:37 PM
caloso

Going to be off the bike for most of next week, so I'm just going to drive the TSB as far negative as I can till then. 1:30 of over-under intervals this morning, which I just hate. But I'm glad I got them done. I do these early morning workouts on a ring-road of our local muni 9-hole golf course. This morning a city worker in a big white truck pulled out of a service road right in front of me so there was yelling. Had my bright strobe light on that annoys all the little old ladies walking their cockapoos, but City Worker couldn't see it I guess.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-27-21, 09:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by caloso
Going to be off the bike for most of next week, so I'm just going to drive the TSB as far negative as I can till then. 1:30 of over-under intervals this morning, which I just hate. But I'm glad I got them done. I do these early morning workouts on a ring-road of our local muni 9-hole golf course. This morning a city worker in a big white truck pulled out of a service road right in front of me so there was yelling. Had my bright strobe light on that annoys all the little old ladies walking their cockapoos, but City Worker couldn't see it I guess.
I got a gift of free time before our family vacation. I drove TSB down to negative 38. Lol.

Then during the trip just did 105% up the cat 3 and cat 2 climb by the cabin a handful of times while the TSB went the exact opposite direction.

Worked out fine. I feel no different from after the trip.

Dude, how are your early AM intensity work going? You just down some coffee and a gel? I may start trying to squeeze in some time in the early AM's during the week, but it isn't enough time for low zone aerobic stuff. It would need to have intensity to be beneficial.
Old 07-27-21, 10:40 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Took my workout outside today since I’m at my parents place. Was 3 blocks of 16x45sec on at 123% and off at recovery. Ended up with 172 tss. My NP for each block was over threshold so I’m liking that.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 07-27-21, 11:06 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I got a gift of free time before our family vacation. I drove TSB down to negative 38. Lol.

Then during the trip just did 105% up the cat 3 and cat 2 climb by the cabin a handful of times while the TSB went the exact opposite direction.

Worked out fine. I feel no different from after the trip.

Dude, how are your early AM intensity work going? You just down some coffee and a gel? I may start trying to squeeze in some time in the early AM's during the week, but it isn't enough time for low zone aerobic stuff. It would need to have intensity to be beneficial.
Lately, I’ve been doing all my workouts on coffee only. If it’s over threshold, I need to eat a bar or something midway.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-27-21, 11:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I can't decide what to do for my weeknight ride. Solo gravel, group gravel Weds, or worlds Thurs. I like our team worlds but freaking 40+ min out of town drive. And nobody really hangs afterwards. Then again, nobody hangs after group gravel Weds either.

I've been doing that stuff alone recently simply as lots of things piling up meaning riding alone I can get more volume I otherwise wouldn't. Haven't been able to ride at lunch much.

I'm bored with worlds. Route memorized, same crazy strong 1/2's always getting home first and myself 2nd or 3rd. Not enough vertical feature for my skinnier weaker butt to do much. Tried it all this year so far outside of them just not showing up.

I think gravel is the best bet to get the cross bike handling skills coming back. I'm setting PR's in there still so bike handling is better, it isn't all fitness. It just gets old riding solo.

There is some off road stuff out by my work I haven't tried. May message the team mate who lives that way to see if they want to join to try it out.
Old 07-27-21, 12:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by caloso
Lately, I’ve been doing all my workouts on coffee only. If it’s over threshold, I need to eat a bar or something midway.
I do a morning track workout on coffee and very little anything else and the workout will consist of mostly anaerobic and neuromuscular efforts. However, there is not a lot of duration.
Old 07-28-21, 08:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Velo Sports Center (Carson) structured workout. Warmup, accelerations and jumps. Then solo 3 kilos plus a 2k team pursuit with my wife and then two full lap pursuit style standing starts. All 96 gear inches and aerobars.

Up and back to Carson is 2 hours each way but it is such a fun track it seems worth the drive.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-28-21, 10:16 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Getting kind of nervous. I haven't been on a bike since I got hit by a car back in mid-May (and had surgery to remove some recurrent tumors from inside my leg in June). My back is still not right though my leg is healing, but I don't have a bike at the moment even if I was good to go. In physical therapy for my back they have me to a warmup on what is essentially a recumbent elliptical (I would ask for a stationary bike but they don't have one and I'm not sure my core is ready for that anyway). This morning, I was looking at the watts I was putting out in warmup and I was only doing 110-140, but after the 8 minutes, I felt like I'd been doing half an hour at 300 or more on the trainer a couple months ago. I get that the motion and positioning are different and breathing through a mask might be affecting me too (and accuracy may not be all that great), but, frick, if feels like my endurance and power have just dropped off a cliff in the last 2 months (I know my weight has gone up).
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-28-21, 09:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
bummer himespau. Focus on your recovery and don't sweat the power too much. Hopefully you can get back to riding the trainer and building again soon.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.