Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Boom Bikes Post-Boomers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Boom Bikes Post-Boomers

Old 12-22-19, 09:58 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
I love modern bikes; index shifting, clipless pedals, wide tires, mountain bike suspension, air-hardening steel, brifters, the whole 9 yards!
I also am very fond of first quality bikes built before the Nuovo Record years of the seventies and have been looking for one off and on for years.

'70s bikes are nice too. I own 5 of them. Maybe I'm the odd duck here but growing up with them, racing them, wrenching on them, has left me a little bored with them.

Perhaps we who collect them are insuring that they will not be highly valued in the future. There are just too many of us collecting the seventies bikes for them to achieve the value that can come with rarity anytime soon. Much more rare are the bikes like the Cinelli Model B belonging to @iab or the 1958 Paramount belonging to @merziac. I can find plenty of nice Nuovo Record bikes for $600 to $700 dollars. Not such an easy task with the older bikes. Cambio Corsa? Even more rare. Even more costly.

I'm not worried about the fact that upon my demise no one may appreciate my bikes the way that I do. I'm sure they will find other vessels to pour their passion into.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 12-22-19 at 10:00 PM. Reason: redundancy
Old 12-22-19, 10:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Damn!, I thought it was funny but you stole all the joy out of it.
Sorry, I didn't see what was so hilarious about preferring '70s paint schemes.
Old 12-22-19, 10:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
@ctak and I were discussing this very thing yesterday as we ambled through Seattle traffic while moving some furniture. As we are both late-Gen X / early-Gen Y (Millennial) and know some other BF members that are in our age bracket, we are more or less the 'inheriting generation' whenever that ends up taking place. I am certainly extremely thankful for the internet and the contributions of BF members and everyone else in the Boomer (and older) generation to various sites and getting what is often lost information, catalogs, and other invaluable knowledge and experience.

Assuming the vintage market dips and prices of all bikes, frames, and components come down considerably, that will allow other people to get into it (this is not implying some sort of 'unfair' exclusion on my part) that may have been somewhat interested before, but now have half fallen into it, perhaps on a whim or via uncertainty of how much they will like it, and, well, wouldn't ya know it? They catch the bug, too.

I really like '80s bikes for their larger focus on weight, performance, 700C standards and twin bottle cages. It makes it so easy to put all the modern stuff on it. That being said a good DB 531 frame is one of my favorite things. Darn Paramounts and nice tires...

The 'new kids' will work their modern gearing and big tire ethos into the old stuff, and the blending and evolution continues. I'll be sure to pick up (or more likely, build) a proper fully-NR/SR bike at some point. Carry the torch and all of that, at least on the consumer end of things.

With the increased mindset of modularity with modern bikes--perhaps temporary is a better word?--perhaps the reverence for originality shown to C&V bikes won't translate to bikes sold in the last 20 years. But...humans are a nostalgic bunch, so we'll probably do that. Lance, Pantani, Ulrich bikes will be lost, then found, then restored, for all sorts of purposes and reactions. We'll talk about special carbon buildups for Froome's Pinarellos (different from off the shelf examples with the same name) etc etc.

If we can keep these old rides rolling, I think that will be better for everyone. Such examples of longevity! Things fade, and the wave passes us by. Keep up the communities around these bikes and others, and that's a lasting element that will always be appreciated, and often remembered.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-22-19, 10:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

Assuming the vintage market dips and prices of all bikes, frames, and components come down considerably, that will allow other people to get into it (this is not implying some sort of 'unfair' exclusion on my part) that may have been somewhat interested before, but now have half fallen into it, perhaps on a whim or via uncertainty of how much they will like it, and, well, wouldn't ya know it? They catch the bug, too.

...permit me an observation, kid. The last time the prices on nice steel frames and bikes dropped dramatically, a lot of them got drewed and fixed geared. Which, OTOH, makes the ones that remain slightly more uncommon, but I ain't holding my breath on how these bikes will turn out in the end. There are probably more jacked and chopped '55 two door Chevy hot rods around in my town than there are stock restorations. nttawwt
Old 12-23-19, 12:44 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...permit me an observation, kid. The last time the prices on nice steel frames and bikes dropped dramatically, a lot of them got drewed and fixed geared. Which, OTOH, makes the ones that remain slightly more uncommon, but I ain't holding my breath on how these bikes will turn out in the end. There are probably more jacked and chopped '55 two door Chevy hot rods around in my town than there are stock restorations. nttawwt
Well then that is the risk that is run, and all of us are powerless. Of course, since I can't speculate on every single scenario, it goes without saying that largely, all super nice bikes will continue to be priced high enough and kept in protected condition so that they don't meet the same fate. The ending that befalls the varying lesser bikes of course varies. Duesenbergs aren't worth less because all the people that really really really give a rip about them are dead and all the younger generations are disrespectful savages--there are things that, barring massive catastrophe, are preserved. Anything less, who knows. Paramounts are preserved, and Prologues, Circuits, and Pelotons are left to fend for themselves. I don't think the fixed gear thing will happen again--big tires and 1X gearing are a lot better outcomes, and at least use the RD hanger! It's still an ugly configuration in my eyes, so you'll never see me desecrating a frame in such a way (Campy triples FTW), but we'll see it. Or some of us won't and be spared the horror.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-23-19, 12:48 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...stuff like this will become more common. nttawwt, but it will probably never get re-associated with the original parts, which have been stripped and sold off. Or this. I guess it's better than junking them out, but there's a lot lost in the transition to a "town bike".
Old 12-23-19, 12:50 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Well then that is the risk that is run, and all of us are powerless. ... but we'll see it. Or some of us won't and be spared the horror.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-23-19, 01:05 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Old 12-23-19, 01:10 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
There will be less demand, prices will drop, more will be taken to the scrap yard. Nostalgia dies with its generation.

Products become less "special" as they become more accessible to more people. It will be easier to obtain stuff tomorrow than it was yesterday. I never cherished a nail, but I'm sure they were held to a higher regard when they were only hand forged.
Originally Posted by noglider
If you want a custom frame, steel is still the choice because it can be made in small volumes. It's a shrinking industry, but many in it are doing well enough.
Out west there are plenty of guys doing well making steel frames!

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I am so terrified to buy a carbon road bike that I intentionally avoid them.
I know it is a bit different, because riding on dirt has had so many advancements compared to riding on pavement, but still...
Motivation is fickle, I have not ridden bikes much the last 4 months due to a broken toe and weather and work, so I am not feeling fit, at all, yet somehow on my ride yesterday on my new to me 1972 Raleigh Super Course I smashed a bunch of my PRs on Strava, ones that I set on my carbon road bike, when I was quite fit, uhhhh, I'm not totally sure what to make of this. Yea, I went at it hard today, trying to twist the cranks off the bike, and I knew I was hauling pretty good, but, I ride my carbon bike that hard too.

Ultimately for me, I ride bikes to deprive my brain of oxygen, and, I do like to feel strong, when I get out of the saddle I like to feel tough, but when I'm not fit I feel like I want to sit back down... I don't care about racing. In light of all this, my bike doesn't matter all that much to me, but I am a math/numbers geek, so it does raise an eyebrow when this old steel antique put a notable hurting on my carbon road bike PR's...

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have way more $$$ in a '73 Super Course build than I could ever sell it for, but I buy bikes to ride, not to flip, sell on, or as investments. I guess I just don't care where the market goes, I'm just enjoying the ride, after all, that's what bikes are for.
YES!

I love a fresh build where everything works perfectly, but I also thoroughly admire bikes that are worn out, used up, and have obviously been beat on, not neglected, but *worn out*. There are far too many bikes that don't ever get to experience the glory of getting worn out...

This past summer I was on a ride on my 1963 hercules, I stopped at the local shop about 8 miles away, the mechanic commented on my bike, he said, "Why are you riding that?" And I responded with "All the bikes need love." And he thought I meant that all my bikes were not rideable and this was the only one I had that was reasonably functional. First off, I've been wrenching on bikes since he was crapping in his pants, secondly, all my bikes are well maintained, and thirdly, "Love" does NOT mean "wrenching", "Love" means power from my legs, this is something that all bikes need :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-23-19, 01:11 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

...stuff like this will become more common. nttawwt, but it will probably never get re-associated with the original parts, which have been stripped and sold off. Or this. I guess it's better than junking them out, but there's a lot lost in the transition to a "town bike".
As long as they're not sawing off hangers and various other necessary and original braze-ons, I will live, and there is still hope. That is not my preferred look. I will do my best to preserve some of the '80s (now that this thread is bereft of pictures...allow me to remedy):

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-23-19, 01:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What happened to the 1890s bike boom bikes?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-23-19, 04:48 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Scrap metal for the Great War?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 12-23-19, 06:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
The point is:

They are only bikes. Anyone collect horse drawn carriages?
Only a few people care. How many people really want your collection?

But the prettiest ones can forever be beautiful in our minds. And our internet images.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-23-19 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 07:25 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

By '79 or '80 you had bottle bosses, and 126mm rear spacing. For most of us, that's improvement. You also had cable guides and shifter bosses brazed on thin tubing that you don't often see on '70s bikes. So, there were many improvements in those ten years after '75.
^This and later even.
Old 12-23-19, 11:58 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
When I got back in the cycling in my late 30s I thought going fast on a racy road bike, in my case aluminum frame/carbon fork, was the most worthy goal and only reason to ride. Once I realized I was a Fred I mellowed a bit though my heart belongs to lugged steel now my basic philosophy is if you are riding a bike that fits and puts a smile on your face - chapeau!! everything else is just opinions.

That said I would venture that there will be garages full of vintage bikes that go to the scrap yard when the boomers expire, its your hobby/passion not your kids and after you are gone what does it matter? I certainly wouldn't want to burden my daughter with curating my collection of old steel.

I guess the bigger question is what are we going to do, planning wise, to be sure our old steel finds a good home before we are gone? The Swedes have an interesting take on dealing with stuff in general as you age called dostadning (death cleaning)

Ok that got heavy back to bikes, think I will go for a spin

Last edited by ryansu; 12-23-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 01:07 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
My expectations, based on a few things that I've noticed over the years:
  • bikes with famous names on them will increase in value as they get older.
  • nice-riding steel bikes (meaning mainly geometry, not price, tubing or even build quality) will keep being loved by those who ride them. The next generation of real riders will pick those up and keep them afloat.
  • cheap frames, as long as they are well-made, are currently being re-manufactured into new "retro" bikes with an increasing level of success. I expect that to stay for a while, even move on with new trends in what's retro. This is being fueled by the environmental lobby.
  • and in the end steel frames in general are relatively easy to recycle (and to convert to verktyg 's favorite Kia cars )
My two cents.

Example of a re-manufactured old steel frame:

Old 12-23-19, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Hey, maybe steel frames will even see a comeback. By that, I mean that maybe steel will be the material of choice for big makers of new bikes. I don't know what would bring that about. Aluminum is cheaper.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 05:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Everyone is missing the obvious answer here.

Don't die.

You're welcome.

Carry on.
Old 12-23-19, 05:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Hey, maybe steel frames will even see a comeback. By that, I mean that maybe steel will be the material of choice for big makers of new bikes. I don't know what would bring that about. Aluminum is cheaper.
...once the plastic carbon fiber bikes start spontaneously exploding en masse, and the aluminum fatigue crash fatality rates start to rise, my garage will become my fortune.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-23-19, 06:05 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Of Cinelli's 2020 bike and frame offering, 6 are carbon, 4 are aluminum and 18 are steel.

https://cinelli.it/en/bikes-frames/
Likes For iab:
Old 12-23-19, 06:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

That is an interesting date. The "safety" bicycle was not universal, pneumatic tires were catching on. Many brands had proprietary parts that only fit that brand. Technology was moving quickly, the automobile in two decades arrived displacing bicycles and later public transportation (using the Red Car history as seen in Southern California) San Francisco's rail network almost vanished too.

The "great" wars consumed metal all over.

The bicycle with the cable pull derailleur shift system has had a long run, sure it has changed, but There are plenty of bikes made in the 30's-40's that could have parts manufactured today employed, yes, some modifications, widening the rear triangle as an example but amazing in the ability to use parts from divergent eras.

That adaptability will be the key to keeping these bikes as bicycles, sure, they may not be collected, but used for enjoyment and transport.

Bikes as scrap problems? ebikes and the current crop of bikes for hire.

In the immediate future- all of us "friction" shift guys may not see a terrific appreciation. The age group that expected index shifting his here. They like index.

The falling stock right now? Cambio Corsa shift bikes, if one cannot reach down and back to manipulate the levers, you have a single speed.
Old 12-23-19, 06:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Of Cinelli's 2020 bike and frame offering, 6 are carbon, 4 are aluminum and 18 are steel.

https://cinelli.it/en/bikes-frames/
They are an aspirational lifestyle brand now.
Old 12-23-19, 06:16 PM
iab

I have an interest for old bikes, long before most here were born. I get a lot of "those are cool". Won an award with one of them once. But the fact of the matter is there is limited interest in them and they sell for a "bargain" price compared your fancy Eyetalian machine from the 70's/80s. Fine by me, not complaining.

So what going to happen with those 70s/80s bikes? I'll stand by my earlier post, but I think the writing is on the wall. Electric bikes will be the thing in 30 years and downtube shifters will be regarded the same way as my Vittoria Margherita - quaint. "Manual" bikes will be an oddity, just like my bikes today. So if you are in it for the money, sell now or forever hold your peace.
Old 12-23-19, 06:16 PM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
They are an aspirational lifestyle brand now.
Isn't all of cycling?
Old 12-23-19, 06:22 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Everyone is missing the obvious answer here.

Don't die.

You're welcome.

Carry on.
I have also been working on my immortality. So far, so good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.