Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

PSA for folks that admin FB bike pages

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 12:49 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

Just a friendly heads up for people on here who may be administrators of bike related Facebook pages.

I'm an admin on one locally and luckily have it set to approvals only. No auto signup. The others I use to see group rides and events have been infiltrated lately by troll accounts that will pop up once a month to post a "screw bike people riding side by side, ruining things for cars". Basically that kind of junk.

Then there's a whole feeding the troll moment that ensues, etc.....

They're hitting up ALL the local bike pages that don't screen requests to join.

Be warned, change your settings. That way you don't waste time dealing with all that. That is all.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-13-21, 01:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Yeah ..... typical post from a cyclist ... you probably ride two abreast, and think you belong on the road, which is obviously meant for cars .........
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-13-21, 01:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
What's Facebook?
Old 08-13-21, 01:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
They haven't done it to my group yet, probably because it doesn't have cycling, bicycle, or any other common name for cyclist in the group name
Old 08-13-21, 01:24 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
What's Facebook?
"C'mon, don't you want to be my friend? I won't steal your personal data or anything, I promise..."

Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-13-21, 01:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Thank goodness my club is already set up like that. We got big enough (>500) a few years ago that event invites weren't being received by everyone in the group, so she pared it down to under 500 and has to approve each new member.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-13-21, 01:40 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
"C'mon, don't you want to be my friend? I won't steal your personal data or anything, I promise..."

Gotta love it. Read maybe half of Sheryl Sandbergs book. Book kept going on these righteous rants about how “We have to do more as a society to help the vulnerable.”

While they’re selling the data of the vulnerable. Barf.

If it swung the other way we’d never have heard about it.
Old 08-13-21, 01:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
They're not "stealing" it... you're willingly giving it to them.
Old 08-13-21, 01:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
When a system is created so many dont know what they are giving, is it willingly given?
At this point, enough awareness has been done so I can understand people no longer accepting the claim of 'I didnt know'.
But a handful of years ago?- yeah that was messed up and whatever it is legally called, it was sketch.

As connectivity continues to transition from a luxury to a realistic necessity in the developed world, the argument that we are willingly giving up privacy and info becomes less and less accurate. Making it easier to set and adjust privacy settings, and making those privacy settings the actual settings and not some shell settings, must continue to be pushed as an agenda.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-21, 02:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
You can download everything they have on you. Most if it is not stuff you gave them, they buy it.
Old 08-13-21, 02:31 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
They haven't done it to my group yet, probably because it doesn't have cycling, bicycle, or any other common name for cyclist in the group name
What's the name... I'll pass it along for you!

Barry
Old 08-13-21, 02:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
When a system is created so many dont know what they are giving, is it willingly given?
At this point, enough awareness has been done so I can understand people no longer accepting the claim of 'I didnt know'.
But a handful of years ago?- yeah that was messed up and whatever it is legally called, it was sketch.

As connectivity continues to transition from a luxury to a realistic necessity in the developed world, the argument that we are willingly giving up privacy and info becomes less and less accurate. Making it easier to set and adjust privacy settings, and making those privacy settings the actual settings and not some shell settings, must continue to be pushed as an agenda.
I never used facebook because I know there's a cost... nothing is free.

Last week a friend called asking if i can help him recover his facebook account that was hacked. I told him I never used facebook so I have no idea. He said it's for his business and it's costing him. I told him you get what you pay for and you should never rely on a free service to promote your business.

Having a website is cheap, I pay under $100 a year for mine.

BTW, all the KEWL kids have left facebook and gone other places.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-13-21, 02:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
BTW, all the KEWL kids have left facebook and gone other places.
Well, there is one argument in a favor of FB ......
Old 08-13-21, 03:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, there is one argument in a favor of FB ......
And 10,000 against.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-13-21, 04:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Facebook selling my personal data really irks me.

Facebook is now threatening to ban me because everyone is asking for a refund.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-13-21, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Facebook is like if you put sneeze guard on a open trough of feces and then put a free buffet sign on top of it. Then you here them talk about that free buffet and complain how much fecal matter it was full of and then they go back for more and more.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-13-21, 10:40 PM
1974jim

Bikes: Masi Gran Corsa 1990, Specialized Roubaix 2010

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Give it time. The trolls and assorted crazies will eventually find you. And once a couple do, the avalanche will begin.
I’ve administered a few assorted groups over the years (I will never ever again admin any page with even the slightest hint of politics) and I swear the crazies must spend their entire days trying to find new groups to screech at. They must not have actual jobs, except for the ones who a quite literally being paid to sow anger and mistrust everywhere. Yes, there are organizations that actually pay people to do this. Luckily, right now at least, it’s much more prevalent outside of the US, but it seems to be growing here now too.
Do yourself a favor and go private.

As for F/B selling your info… and Instagram is owned by F/B… that’s how they make money. Precisely targeted advertising is very valuable.
Google sells everything you do! Searches, your Gmail topics, your Google maps usage, everything. That’s how they make money.
Amazon sells your search history when you’re shopping. At the beginning it was the only thing they made money with.
Any beliefs you have about online privacy are strictly an illusion.
Are you sending SMS text messages on your phone? Oh my…
It’s just the way it is.
Old 08-14-21, 08:04 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I only like FB because it's the best place to order a Trek Madone SLR9 eTap, normally retailing for $12,500, for the unbelievable price of $49.99! And FREE SHIPPING!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-14-21, 09:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I'm admin of a Fakebroke photography group and am considering shutting it down. I've been admin and mod on other forums for years but only on standalone sites where I had direct access to the boss to discuss issues. FB groups only give admin the illusion of tools to manage unique (or mundane and redundant) groups.

We haven't had many real problems with our group for years, mostly because our membership is tiny and not very active. I've been letting the page coast for years, hoping it would go dormant for a week or so and give me an excuse to shut it down. The internet doesn't need another photography forum, let alone for street and documentary photography, which has become mostly a magnet for rote, unimaginative cliches and toxic bro culture.

But I was willing to let it coast until this year, when Farcebunk announced it would be setting all FB groups to wide open by default. The new default bypasses admin/moderator vetting of new member applications, and enables the FB "community" at large to comment on member posts. That's a recipe for sockpuppets, cloned accounts spoofing real people, trolling and flamefests.

However, our group has remained relatively inactive. We've seen more new members joining automatically, but posting very little, if at all. And most of their posts are links to their own photography pages or projects outside Fakebonk. They aren't interacting, aren't commenting or critiquing other member photos. So, for our group -- for now -- the new FB policy hasn't affected us.

But Finkbounce has quickly become a festering pile of poo. Rather than supporting genuine grassroots growth and interaction, FB has been pimping "sponsored" posts by people who are paying Farkbump to infest everyone's feed with crapposting. It's mostly obscure romance novelists, unfunny comedians, untalented musicians and unoriginal shake and bake wannabe chefs, desperately grasping for attention. Instead of promoting on-brand, on-topic posts from those sponsors, Farcebump has supplied sponsors with a boilerplate of crappy memes ("What kind of potato are you?!"). Those serve two main purposes:
  • Insta-fake-audience engagement from people who are desperate for another fix via a micro-dose of dopamine from sharing whatever kind of potato they are.
  • Data harvesting. By oversharing enough of our personal preferences, Facebook and their partners in crime (meaning, whichever government/big business cabal has replaced Cambridge Analytica) can gradually amass enough data points to determine how to attack FB users to stoke their fears and manipulate them in politics, cultural issues and purchases.

It's the most despicably blatant form of social engineering and psycho/social manipulation I've seen online since the bad old days of MySpace quizzes.

And Fatebroke has zero integrity or consistency in their policies regarding appropriate and inappropriate activities by users. I've lost track of the number of FB contacts who've been temporarily suspended, usuallyl for 24 hours, sometimes up to 30 days, for stuff that didn't violate FB terms of use. And FB has streamlined their mod-bot system and appeals process to the extent that there is no practical or effective appeals process. Meanwhile when blatant, unambiguous hate speech, racism, etc., is reported, almost invariably FB says it doesn't violate their terms of use. The worst, most experienced trolls typically use euphemisms, code or mixed alphanumeric characters to post overtly racist comments, yet the mod-bots can't parse those comments, and there are few or no human mods to review reports.

Another problem is that -- even when people know what metadata is on their photos -- while FB strips metadata from being visible to users, that doesn't mean FB doesn't harvest that metadata and use it for their own purposes. So every time we upload a photo from our phones, or most digital cameras, we're supplying data that identifies which phone or camera we use and, with phones and *some* digital cameras, GPS data that identifies where we took the photos.

So far I'm not aware of any Facebook employee misusing access to this kind of data to harass or harm a FB user. But it was done by some ebay employees who misused their access to data to harass and threaten ebay users.

And we already know of many instances of insiders or hackers unethically obtaining and misusing personal data from Yahoo and other players. While I suspect most users are okay with, or at least complacent about, divulging too much personal data, they probably don't realize how thin and fragile that veneer of security really can be. And we already know of instances of doxxing and swatting by trolls getting people arrested, terrified and even killed.

The only reason I'm still on that accursed platform is to keep up with local real life friends for bike rides and social get-togethers. It's handy for that. But it's become the equivalent to maintaining a community bulletin board in the dank alley of the worst part of town where you have to run the gauntlet to read the posts.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-14-21 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-14-21, 09:38 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
This is why we (wife and I) are glad we totally deleted ourselves from that place way back when. Our inboxes were flooded from the gitgo by all sorts of strange things.
Old 08-14-21, 10:27 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
...Fakebroke... Farcebunk... Fakebonk... Finkbounce... Farkbump... Farcebump... Fatebroke... Facebook
I think you may has misspelled that last one there.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-14-21, 11:55 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yeah. Privacy is so...'50s.
Old 08-14-21, 12:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Yeah. Privacy is so...'50s.
George Orwell is spinning in his grave. He never imagined any of this in 1984.
Old 08-14-21, 01:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, I'm admin of a Fakebroke photography group and am considering shutting it down. I've been admin and mod on other forums for years but only on standalone sites where I had direct access to the boss to discuss issues. FB groups only give admin the illusion of tools to manage unique (or mundane and redundant) groups.

We haven't had many real problems with our group for years, mostly because our membership is tiny and not very active. I've been letting the page coast for years, hoping it would go dormant for a week or so and give me an excuse to shut it down. The internet doesn't need another photography forum, let alone for street and documentary photography, which has become mostly a magnet for rote, unimaginative cliches and toxic bro culture.

But I was willing to let it coast until this year, when Farcebunk announced it would be setting all FB groups to wide open by default. The new default bypasses admin/moderator vetting of new member applications, and enables the FB "community" at large to comment on member posts. That's a recipe for sockpuppets, cloned accounts spoofing real people, trolling and flamefests.

However, our group has remained relatively inactive. We've seen more new members joining automatically, but posting very little, if at all. And most of their posts are links to their own photography pages or projects outside Fakebonk. They aren't interacting, aren't commenting or critiquing other member photos. So, for our group -- for now -- the new FB policy hasn't affected us.

But Finkbounce has quickly become a festering pile of poo. Rather than supporting genuine grassroots growth and interaction, FB has been pimping "sponsored" posts by people who are paying Farkbump to infest everyone's feed with crapposting. It's mostly obscure romance novelists, unfunny comedians, untalented musicians and unoriginal shake and bake wannabe chefs, desperately grasping for attention. Instead of promoting on-brand, on-topic posts from those sponsors, Farcebump has supplied sponsors with a boilerplate of crappy memes ("What kind of potato are you?!"). Those serve two main purposes:
  • Insta-fake-audience engagement from people who are desperate for another fix via a micro-dose of dopamine from sharing whatever kind of potato they are.
  • Data harvesting. By oversharing enough of our personal preferences, Facebook and their partners in crime (meaning, whichever government/big business cabal has replaced Cambridge Analytica) can gradually amass enough data points to determine how to attack FB users to stoke their fears and manipulate them in politics, cultural issues and purchases.

It's the most despicably blatant form of social engineering and psycho/social manipulation I've seen online since the bad old days of MySpace quizzes.

And Fatebroke has zero integrity or consistency in their policies regarding appropriate and inappropriate activities by users. I've lost track of the number of FB contacts who've been temporarily suspended, usuallyl for 24 hours, sometimes up to 30 days, for stuff that didn't violate FB terms of use. And FB has streamlined their mod-bot system and appeals process to the extent that there is no practical or effective appeals process. Meanwhile when blatant, unambiguous hate speech, racism, etc., is reported, almost invariably FB says it doesn't violate their terms of use. The worst, most experienced trolls typically use euphemisms, code or mixed alphanumeric characters to post overtly racist comments, yet the mod-bots can't parse those comments, and there are few or no human mods to review reports.

Another problem is that -- even when people know what metadata is on their photos -- while FB strips metadata from being visible to users, that doesn't mean FB doesn't harvest that metadata and use it for their own purposes. So every time we upload a photo from our phones, or most digital cameras, we're supplying data that identifies which phone or camera we use and, with phones and *some* digital cameras, GPS data that identifies where we took the photos.

So far I'm not aware of any Facebook employee misusing access to this kind of data to harass or harm a FB user. But it was done by some ebay employees who misused their access to data to harass and threaten ebay users.

And we already know of many instances of insiders or hackers unethically obtaining and misusing personal data from Yahoo and other players. While I suspect most users are okay with, or at least complacent about, divulging too much personal data, they probably don't realize how thin and fragile that veneer of security really can be. And we already know of instances of doxxing and swatting by trolls getting people arrested, terrified and even killed.

The only reason I'm still on that accursed platform is to keep up with local real life friends for bike rides and social get-togethers. It's handy for that. But it's become the equivalent to maintaining a community bulletin board in the dank alley of the worst part of town where you have to run the gauntlet to read the posts.

^ This This This
+1
It seems engineered to drive wedges and get people at each other.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-14-21, 02:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
It seems engineered to drive wedges and get people at each other.
Stirring the pot is how they make $$$$
Likes For GlennR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.