Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Touring with Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disk?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 01:54 AM
iamme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I bought a gravel bike a while back which is mounted with high-end Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc 2015 wheels. I now intend to take the road and tour 3000km. My weight, which of the bike and luggages together should never be more than 110kg and according to online documentation the wheels can take 32mm tires.

Is that a good idea to use these wheels for my travel (sometime on rougher terrains) or am I to expect particular problems with it for, as i seem to understand, they are more for the fast kind of cycling ?

Thank you!
Old 09-25-21, 12:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
No Mavic wheels are not good for touring if you break a spoke you are screwed. Most shops won't carry the spokes needed for wheels like that and even Mavic probably won't have stuff from that long ago. Mavic rims are just fine and dandy for touring but their complete wheels with proprietary spokes are just not good. It is a lot of stuff to stock and not worth it for most shops unless they are long time buyers into the Mavic wheel system ideals. I want a wheel with a simple J-Bend spoke butted is fine and dandy but even non-butted is fine because in the end most shops are likely to have that spoke I need or close to it or I can at least find it regularly and for not a ton of money.

I would save those wheels for your road bike or gravel bike for local riding and get yourself some good wheels for touring. It doesn't have to be super heavy duty, with the right rim, spoke and hub combination built by someone who knows and understands wheels really well you might be able get away with say 28h stuff or maybe even slightly less (though I probably wouldn't risk it too much especially if on rougher terrains)
Likes For veganbikes: