Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Eating status

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 11:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
mostly just basing it off all of my friends who train in iten and what they tell me.

im surprised riders rode the TDF low carb. kind of curious as to why as well? wouldn't you want energy as quickly as possible when racing?
This fat adaption is a thing.
The idea is for long rides, you body metabolizes fat early. Thing with carbs is they burn fast and when you are out - that is bad. Burning fat you do not bonk. Then - maybe final 30 min/hill you take carbs and get the kick, but no chance of bonking.

If you can time and use carbs the whole ride I think that works too.

Anyway an elite marathon runner is going hard 2(and change) hours and not back to back. They have lots of feeding and carbs/drinks close the entire race. It is different for some cyclists.
Old 12-14-16, 02:21 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mostly just basing it off all of my friends who train in iten and what they tell me.

im surprised riders rode the TDF low carb. kind of curious as to why as well? wouldn't you want energy as quickly as possible when racing?
who says TdF riders are low carb?

uh-uh.
Old 12-14-16, 02:23 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
70% is much more than I could do ... I tweaked my macros last season to include more carbs (I think up around 60%?) and I felt lousy. More sluggish, bloated, etc. After a couple months, I went back to my usual breakdown and felt much better.
80/10/10 is pretty much what the Kenyan runners/marathoners do. Definitely different than the current Western craze for high protein or high fat, but at least there's some proof it can work for endurance athletes
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
70 Carb, 15 Fat, 15 Protein

another is talking about 80 Carb, 10 Fat, 10 Protein
gotta separate whether this includes or excludes food ingested while on the bike. if the former, then it's far easier to hit higher %ages of CHO during a day.

also @scheibo -- i'm sure you know this better than most, but it's pretty hard to eat while running, whereas on a bike it's pretty trivial to down a relatively large amount of carbs (like 60-75g CHO/hr).
Old 12-14-16, 10:27 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Froome was super low carb for the TdF - and he's a Kenyan.
Was he though? I know there was a lot of reporting to this effect that lacked any real detail about what he did or didn't do. The few actual quotes I saw directly from him, it seemed more like he used low-carb to get down to race weight pre-tour, as opposed to actually racing on a low-carb diet. And he mentioned "low carb days" which to me implied he wasn't always eating low-carb, just at certain times. I find it hard to believe anybody could eat truly low-carb during a grand tour.
Old 12-14-16, 11:34 AM
jsutkeepspinnin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fat.
Old 12-14-16, 11:50 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Was he though? I know there was a lot of reporting to this effect that lacked any real detail about what he did or didn't do. The few actual quotes I saw directly from him, it seemed more like he used low-carb to get down to race weight pre-tour, as opposed to actually racing on a low-carb diet. And he mentioned "low carb days" which to me implied he wasn't always eating low-carb, just at certain times. I find it hard to believe anybody could eat truly low-carb during a grand tour.
That was floated and shown enough that I tend to think that is what he was doing. And it makes sense to me. They are not going all that hard relative to when they really go hard. 5 hours is very hard to fuel with carbs. I could see eating/running on fat and popping a few pieces of candy before the final 30 min.

My son runs on carbs. He has mis-timed and missed feeds and paid a high price on several occasions. Most his races are shorter and higher intensity. Juniors tend to just go full gas and carbs make sense there.

Off topic - kinda...to the Kenyan's. My first experience with the fat adaption concept was in Kenya. I was in Kapedo (great Hot Springs BTW), Kenya 1977ish (10th grade) and asked about some of the locals I saw walking through the desert. Seeing cars there was rare and towns were 60k-100K apart (they would walk to Amaler). I was told they would do this walk about once a week and would just drink a big cup of lard before leaving. It would take about a day and they didn't need to eat anything else. They were not running - or riding the TdF, but it was clearly an efficient way to fuel. Life expectancy is not long there so it is pretty hard to study how good or bad such a habit is long term.
Old 12-14-16, 11:52 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspinnin
I'm fat.
Whoa! And he's back!

Don't worry, you ain't the only one.
Old 12-14-16, 11:54 AM
jsutkeepspinnin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to stop by and see the old crew. It's been a while since I even contemplated riding my bike. Currently in the midst of finals with a major case of senioritis (I lined up a job at a major bank for their large corporate TM services).
Old 12-14-16, 11:57 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the longest time I sort of wondered if someday I would see you and @Doge discussing / arguing something around here. Ah well, hope life is good. You have a job lined up out of college which is more than I could have said in your spot. (Pure sciences do not lead to an easy time finding jobs).
Old 12-14-16, 11:59 AM
jsutkeepspinnin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm actually a Junior, so I am just waiting to graduate. I got a few offers, took one with a company that aligns with my personal values and has a corporate culture that I know i will enjoy and thrive in.
Old 12-14-16, 01:52 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
(Pure sciences do not lead to an easy time finding jobs).

Neither does an education in business/finance when the market was at it lowest...

I had lost count of jobs applied for, then I ended up moving up in the company (that I've always worked for) to the position im in now.
Old 12-14-16, 03:01 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I thought I accidentally opened an ancient thread for a moment
Old 12-14-16, 06:56 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I can tell you what I am making for dinner.

It is a grounded pork based soup with garlic, Sichuan peppers, red pepper flakes, minced ginger made into a soup with mustard greens and wide rice noodles.
Old 12-15-16, 09:29 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, i tried @canuckbelle's plan yesterday, and maybe she's onto something.

last night i ate 1/2 a box of cookies, a pint of ice cream, a chocolate muffin, and a bag of popcorn, and today's weight was less than yesterday.

maybe i should try to repeat that for a week or a month to see what happens?
Old 12-15-16, 09:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
hey, i tried @canuckbelle's plan yesterday, and maybe she's onto something.

last night i ate 1/2 a box of cookies, a pint of ice cream, a chocolate muffin, and a bag of popcorn, and today's weight was less than yesterday.

maybe i should try to repeat that for a week or a month to see what happens?
I mean, I did that but I won't ruin the surprise. And my n= only 1 anyway.
Old 12-15-16, 10:10 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 12-15-16, 10:31 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Haha...it was a joke -- we tease a bunch around here.

Anyway, since you're here, can you clarify the comments about why BMI doesn't work? There were some questions posed a few posts back because there was some doubt about whether the charts showed someone at 17% BF (female) as "overweight."
Old 12-16-16, 06:55 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Neither does an education in business/finance when the market was at it lowest...

I had lost count of jobs applied for, then I ended up moving up in the company (that I've always worked for) to the position im in now.
My problem was more making it into the job market than anything else. Everyone wants to see hard skills to which I always answered "I can set up lab equipment and do really good force diagrams?". But I understand that it is never easy when the economy doesn't feel like having open positions.

Anywho. Been on 'the' rest week this week which means I just ride to work and back. Good week for it too all things considered. Been trying to keep myself on the straight and narrow and only really F-ed up on Tuesday when my company did a pizza party and apparently every single team did their own holiday party so there was free food flying around like no one's business.

Been relatively good, but can't help feel that I must have gained like 5 pounds. Oh well.
Old 12-16-16, 11:08 AM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have really been struggling with weight management as of late, put on like 7-8 lbs over the last 2-3 months. I don't know if it's the weather, less riding time since I'm heavy in the cross season, new girlfriend, job search stress, or a combo of all, but it's been a battle. Now that holidays are coming up and my family usually tries to force feed people like they're making foie gras, I'm just hoping to limit my losses (or gains, I guess) at this point.
Old 12-16-16, 11:39 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've been hitting my numbers but I'm up 1-2 lbs. It's a recovery week for me, and I've found with the lighter efforts I carry 2-3 lbs more weight, but its still frustrating.
Old 12-16-16, 11:42 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
sub 140. 15 or so pounds lighter than a year ago.
Old 12-16-16, 01:34 PM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salt in the wounds!

But congrats, you've been super dedicated, that's fantastic progress.
Old 12-16-16, 03:45 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I have really been struggling with weight management as of late, put on like 7-8 lbs over the last 2-3 months.
Preparing to hibernate?
Old 12-16-16, 05:11 PM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently
Old 12-19-16, 06:15 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Getting ready for a cooking frenzy for the holidays as I am the traditional holiday cook.

On Thursday I am smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches (already rubbed and in the frig) and buying a bone-in pork loin roast for Christmas. I stuff that with fruits (dried apricots, prunes, sour cherries) with a ruby port and spice reduction and wrap it in bacon. It is best if it sits in the frig for a couple of days. Already set it up with a local butcher to get it on Thursday.

Friday I will be smoking two ducks. Purchased today and doing the slow thaw in the frig before I brine on Thursday. Leftovers for either duck lo mien or duck tacos on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve we go to a friends house for an open house and I get a respite from dinner cooking. Good Wisconsin food, don't cha know. :^)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.