Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainer Tires ???

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trainer Tires ???

Old 12-17-12, 10:42 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainer Tires ???

I just got a used Kurt Kinetic and even if I crank down the resistance unit to the max (5 turns) and lower my tire pressure I can still make it slip. Running a 23mm Conti GP4000S tire. I am certainly no Chris Hoy ... so I am wondering if a dedicated trainer tire on an extra wheel would help or is it just a waste of money.

thanks.
Old 12-17-12, 10:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
A little slippage is normal.

Ride more, worry less.

I would only get a dedicated trainer tire and/or wheel if you are doing a TON of time on the trainer and ZERO road time for several months.
Old 12-17-12, 10:49 AM
Ultraslide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ride more, worry less.
Indeed! Just trying to get the most out of my trainer. I've been on rollers up to this point.
Old 12-17-12, 11:15 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My KK came with a Vittoria trainer tire. I get about the same amount of slipping between it and a GP4000s. Both are better than the scrub Krylions that I've tried using.

While I can make it slip if I want it to, I don't actually think it affects my work outs too much because I don't tend to do a lot of sharp jumps indoors. But it is annoying and I don't remember it being a problem with my old Cycleops Fluid.
Old 12-17-12, 12:14 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Continental trainer tire. Slips, sure. But I have it 'cause the trainer chews through normal tires.
Old 12-17-12, 12:20 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you trying to do 5 second intervals or something? I just crank down my trainer on an old tire and it seems to work fine
Old 12-17-12, 01:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
I just got a used Kurt Kinetic and even if I crank down the resistance unit to the max (5 turns) and lower my tire pressure I can still make it slip. Running a 23mm Conti GP4000S tire. I am certainly no Chris Hoy ... so I am wondering if a dedicated trainer tire on an extra wheel would help or is it just a waste of money.

thanks.
Something's not right with this picture. I use Continental GPS 4000S on a KK (as well as other tires) I've never had a problem with slipping, even doing shorter intervals at 500 watts+.

If it's setup correctly, you shouldn't be getting slipping, certainly not to the point that the slipping would be a problem.

I'd check how you've got the bike in the trainer. Also what air pressure in the tire?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-17-12, 01:24 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
I have a Continental trainer tire. Slips, sure. But I have it 'cause the trainer chews through normal tires.
That's what I've noticed too. I used an old, cheap wheel and mounted the trainer tire. Makes for fairly simple swaps.
Old 12-17-12, 01:38 PM
Ultraslide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'd check how you've got the bike in the trainer. Also what air pressure in the tire?
I've run pressures at 100 and 110 (my usual road pressure). 23mm GP4KS on a Hed C2 rim. I've cranked down to as much as 4 full turns and I can make it slip from a stop or from a spin if I shift and stand. It doesn't slip during steady state work just at the first kick of any sprint. Maybe this is normal? The responses above seem to indicate a specialized trainer tire isn't worth it. I can buy a cheap tire and put on an extra rear wheel I have.
Old 12-17-12, 01:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
^ 1) from a stop there's no reason to put out the sort of torque to make it spin, just get things turning in an easy gear while you warm up.

2) jumping out of the saddle, you can make it slip a bit initially, but I've never found it to slip emough to matter. Also, I just don't find the trainer conducive to sprint intervals, so I don't so them on the trainer.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-17-12, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
A little slippage is normal.

Ride more, worry less.

I would only get a dedicated trainer tire and/or wheel if you are doing a TON of time on the trainer and ZERO road time for several months.
I agree. It doesn't seem worth the expense to get a single purpose tire. Do you have any worn down but not completely clapped out tires? I'd just use one of those.
Old 12-17-12, 02:29 PM
Ultraslide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Do you have any worn down but not completely clapped out tires? I'd just use one of those.
Yeah, I've got a few old GP4Ks hanging around. I'll just use one of those on an extra wheel I have. Thanks all for the suggestions!
Old 12-17-12, 02:32 PM
Ultraslide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) from a stop there's no reason to put out the sort of torque to make it spin, just get things turning in an easy gear while you warm up.
2) jumping out of the saddle, you can make it slip a bit initially, but I've never found it to slip enough to matter. Also, I just don't find the trainer conducive to sprint intervals, so I don't so them on the trainer.
1) That's what I've been doing
2) My high intensity intervals start around the worst part of winter here. Believe me I'd rather work on the road ;-)

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-17-12, 05:09 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've got a few old GP4Ks hanging around. I'll just use one of those on an extra wheel I have. Thanks all for the suggestions!
My old tyres which I no longer want to take chances with on the road all get to live out their glory days on the trainer.
Old 12-17-12, 05:19 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've run pressures at 100 and 110 (my usual road pressure). 23mm GP4KS on a Hed C2 rim. I've cranked down to as much as 4 full turns and I can make it slip from a stop or from a spin if I shift and stand. It doesn't slip during steady state work just at the first kick of any sprint. Maybe this is normal? The responses above seem to indicate a specialized trainer tire isn't worth it. I can buy a cheap tire and put on an extra rear wheel I have.
Trainers are NOT good for training max-stomp force type instant accelerations, or high-wattage/low cadence combinations. What you're describing is normal for all trainers - you simply can't lock down that rear wheel enough to prevent slippage with a roller drum when the acceleration is extreme.

Trainers are simply not great at emulating the 22% incline sensation of low 50s cadence yet 350-400 watts of effort. To get 350+ watts or more from KK or fluid trainers, you have to both max gear AND keep cadence high. With high enough cadence, you can get 800+ watts of resistance.

Fortunately, there's probably no value about specifically training with specifically uberlow cadence. You can get all the fitness benefits as well increase your speed on those 22% inclines simply by doing intervals on the trainer at speed, even if the cadence ends up being higher than it would be on taht 22% climb.
Old 12-17-12, 05:20 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't decrease the tire pressure. Increase it to make it stop slipping. It's a smooth surface; surface area of the contact patch doesn't change the friction against the roller. Tire pressure puts a limit on the pressure on the tire patch; if you want more friction on the tire patch, you want more force against the tire patch, in which case you want more air pressure in the tire.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-18-12, 12:12 PM
Tiremaniacs

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R, 2009 Jamis Xenith SL, 2010 Jamis Xenith T, 2012 Ridley X-Fire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer a dedicated trainer tire for two primary reasons:
  1. I hate to swap the tires from regular road use to trainer use - so I use a dedicated trainer wheel/tire combo
  2. Trainer tire is way better (for the trainer) that any regular tire: less heat buildup, no tread separation, less noise, super sticky to the drum, lasts way longer than regular tire
Convenience, performance, durability - worth $35 IMHO
Old 12-18-12, 02:22 PM
Ultraslide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiremaniacs
I prefer a dedicated trainer tire for two primary reasons:
  1. I hate to swap the tires from regular road use to trainer use - so I use a dedicated trainer wheel/tire combo
  2. Trainer tire is way better (for the trainer) that any regular tire: less heat buildup, no tread separation, less noise, super sticky to the drum, lasts way longer than regular tire
Convenience, performance, durability - worth $35 IMHO
Second wheel is a given. I got that covered. What brands of trainer tire have you tried and liked, and why?
Old 12-18-12, 02:38 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
That's what I've noticed too. I used an old, cheap wheel and mounted the trainer tire. Makes for fairly simple swaps.
This is what I do as well. Got the same ratio cassette but just a cheap version, tossed it onto a take off rear wheel I got from my wife's Ruby (upgraded her wheels for her) and a trainer tire. Works great and it's just a rear wheel swap...
Old 12-18-12, 02:40 PM
TrekFix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Tacx trainer tire on mine and, no problems yet--2 years use.
Old 12-18-12, 03:25 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I just use old tires I have laying around. I've never worn out a used tire on the trainer and can't imagine riding enough indoors to worry about buying specialized tires. Since Oct I've done more trainer rides than any other season and I'm still only up to 20 hrs. Usually 1 to 1 1/2 hrs at a time is about all I can handle.

I use 3 turns and 110(ish)psi. I usually just do tempo intervals from 260-280W so I don't encounter much slippage.
Old 12-18-12, 04:15 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
My old tyres which I no longer want to take chances with on the road all get to live out their glory days on the trainer.
Same here. Vittoria Zaffiro's seem to last forever on my trainer... My rear wheels that I no longer trust also go on the trainer as well.
Old 12-19-12, 12:57 AM
gamby

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the same crappy wire bead Hutchinson that I've used for 2 seasons prior. It shows almost no signs of wear after initially depositing some rubber on the mag roller. It'll last through this winter without question. Slippage only happens with abrupt starts. I'll just use another old tire when that one gives up the ghost (it's a bit dry-rotted, but if it lets go on the trainer, I don't care).
Old 12-19-12, 01:17 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
... so I am wondering if a dedicated trainer tire on an extra wheel would help or is it just a waste of money.
Like others, I do not use my good tires on the trainer. I save my worn tires. When its indoor trainer season, I mount them back on for use on the trainer. Otherwise, I would just buy the cheapest tire I can get. Typically no more than $10 and is found in the LBS' bargain bin.
Old 12-19-12, 05:57 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
up until this year I've always used an old tire for a trainer tire with no problems whatsoever. This year I got a dedicated conti trainer tire at my lbs just cuz it was on sale. Not much difference that I can tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.