Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

France offers subsidy to tempt lockdown cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-30-20, 07:05 AM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

*******Checked the forum for posts on the same subject.Were none. Got interrupted by a phone call while composing this thread .
After posting discovered that moments before a similar thread was submitted. Probably was typing it at the same time******

"France is encouraging people to cycle to keep pollution levels low once lockdown restrictions end.

Under the €20 million (£17m; $21.7m) scheme, everyone will be eligible for bike repairs of up to €50 at registered mechanics.

The funding will also help pay for cycle training and temporary parking spaces."

Wonder how many of our politicians here in the US are considering ways to increase cycling?
Seems like NOW is the optimal time to permanently make changes for bicycling infrastructure.
It'd be nice if they kept some of those roads closed. Also,it's the perfect time to commandeer a portion of the road for a bike lane ,with the traffic numbers being so low.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52483684

Last edited by detroitjim; 04-30-20 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 04-30-20, 08:29 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Traffic numbers aren't low where I live.
Old 04-30-20, 09:52 AM
detroitjim

Originally Posted by bakerjw
Traffic numbers aren't low where I live.
Understandably not every place is precisely the same. .Last time I cycled in TN (southern part) didn't see anyone else on a bicycle while there for a week.

Up here ,while slightly increasing over the last few days, traffic is similar to a normal Sunday morning even though is 5pm on a weekday.
Several of the regular cyclists I mash with made the same comment.
I've pedaled on roads, in the last few weeks, that I wouldn't have considered riding down unless I had a death wish.

America at Its Best
Old 04-30-20, 10:15 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
We (US) could learn much from France and the world. Co-operation over competition!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 04-30-20, 11:54 AM
pcook489

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
You guys are kidding, right? France is smaller than the state of Texas. To ask Americans to give up the automobile is futile, especially when the cost of gasoline is below $2.00. I like your concern for the planet, etc, but good freaking luck.
Old 04-30-20, 12:49 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by pcook489
You guys are kidding, right? France is smaller than the state of Texas. To ask Americans to give up the automobile is futile, especially when the cost of gasoline is below $2.00. I like your concern for the planet, etc, but good freaking luck.
I take your point, but the current situation should be an object lesson as to how fuel prices decrease when demand drops. More bikes on the road would be good for car drivers
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-30-20, 01:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim
Wonder how many of our politicians here in the US are considering ways to increase cycling?
Seems like NOW is the optimal time to permanently make changes for bicycling infrastructure.
They're not.
They won't.

We're better off as third-class citizens. If cycling becomes too mainstream, you can be sure the govt. will figure out a way to charge us for doing it.
Old 04-30-20, 05:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
They're not.
They won't.

We're better off as third-class citizens. If cycling becomes too mainstream, you can be sure the govt. will figure out a way to charge us for doing it.
Kinda cynical. However my take is that if cycling becomes mainstream, the oil lobby will pressure your government into measures that will make cycling more expensive. Don't blame government, blame the powerful economic forces that resist change and lobby against it
Old 04-30-20, 05:57 PM
detroitjim

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Instead of third-class citizens maybe we can be referred to as undocumented riders. Probably gain a bit of political backing that way.
Old 05-01-20, 07:08 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Don't blame government, blame the powerful economic forces that resist change and lobby against it
There is no difference....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-01-20, 09:00 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Actually cars seem like pretty good protection against a virus. What needs to go is mass transit. Already NYC is shutting down subway at night. In Hawaii we're wasting $10 billion on an elevated rail. Dump the rail and turn it into a bikeway. That's something I could get behind.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 05-02-20, 11:49 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Actually cars seem like pretty good protection against a virus. What needs to go is mass transit. Already NYC is shutting down subway at night. In Hawaii we're wasting $10 billion on an elevated rail. Dump the rail and turn it into a bikeway. That's something I could get behind.

scott s.
Is that supposed to be a joke? Mass transit means LESS vehicles on the road.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-03-20, 02:33 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts

scott s.
Exactly, it is high population density and allowing cars into extremely dense areas like manhattan that is the real issue.
Old 05-05-20, 03:52 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts

scott s.
There seems to be a remarkable correlation between air pollution and how hard the coronavirus hits.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 05-05-20, 09:20 AM
pcook489

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Let me get this straight, Ross. You are going to advocate for mass transit, with all the inherent problems of people in close contact spreading their "contagions" at an enormous pace, with people who decide to be socially responsible and use private transportation for commutes to work/meeting loved ones. Please let me know how this works out for you.
Likes For pcook489:
Old 05-06-20, 06:35 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
There seems to be a remarkable correlation between air pollution and how hard the coronavirus hits.
I suspect that has more to do with dense population in urban areas.
Old 05-06-20, 07:59 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by pcook489
Let me get this straight, Ross. You are going to advocate for mass transit, with all the inherent problems of people in close contact spreading their "contagions" at an enormous pace, with people who decide to be socially responsible and use private transportation for commutes to work/meeting loved ones. Please let me know how this works out for you.
This forum seems to be about 90% deluded hippy types who ride for political reasons instead of simple fun or exercise. However in reality an urban only world is an utter nightmare, just look at china. That is the last thing anyone should be aspiring to.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 05-06-20, 08:20 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
This forum seems to be about 90% deluded hippy types who ride for political reasons instead of simple fun or exercise. However in reality an urban only world is an utter nightmare, just look at china. That is the last thing anyone should be aspiring to.
"Hippy types" want an urban only world? That's a new one to me. Doesn't seem grounded in any reality with which I'm familiar.

And "riding for political reasons?" That's pretty far out there. I guess delusion is the order of the day. There's an old saying that the fish rots from the head down.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-06-20, 09:10 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by jon c.
"Hippy types" want an urban only world? That's a new one to me. Doesn't seem grounded in any reality with which I'm familiar.

And "riding for political reasons?" That's pretty far out there. I guess delusion is the order of the day. There's an old saying that the fish rots from the head down.
You going to live in the country with no car? Of course not lol
Old 05-06-20, 09:23 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I suspect that has more to do with dense population in urban areas.
No. This is a specific correlation with air pollution, which only partially correlates with urban areas. For example here hardest hit regions are mainly agricultural but have polluted air. It needs research of course to draw any conclusions, but research is justified.