Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First Group Ride

Old 08-22-20, 02:48 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
First Group Ride

Headed out to my first group ride this morning. It is a slow “D” group ride. Leader and sweeper.

I usually stick to sidewalks and less busy streets. This will be on busier streets. New experience for me.

I will ride my bike to the start point (about 7 miles). It will be dark. I have lots of lights on my bike. Two rear, three front and front and rear on my helmet.

Any last minute tips?
Old 08-22-20, 05:12 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
report back on the hot biker babes.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 08-22-20, 05:21 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Just be careful of people drafting you. I had my worst accident that way. I was second in line. The guy in front of me slams on his brakes because someone in the street asked for directions. I hit mine, just missed him and the guy behind me slams into me sending me over my handle bars. Plus they usually don't point to objects in the road. Experienced riders are so much easier to follow and understand.

People in the D group are less experienced. So just be aware. I may join a bike club again and with my wife it would be a D group. I would see if my wife could be second to last and myself last.
Likes For Univega:
Old 08-22-20, 06:22 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
In any less experienced group you will probably be going slower and the benefit of a draft will be much less. Therefore it is better to leave a larger gap between you and the rider in front to allow more reaction time if something happens. Keep your head up and try to see what is going on farther down the road, don't focus on the rider directly in front of you. Of course if that rider is unusually tall and wide this may not be possible and in that case, allow additional space. First group rides are always sketchy, you don't yet know how the others ride. Be predictable, try to ride in as straight a line as possible, a wobbly rider ahead will make the following rider nervous. Watch how the others ride and try to latch onto the smoothest wheel in the group. Communicate. If it is a no drop ride it is important to tell others if you are having trouble keeping up

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-31-20 at 11:20 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-22-20, 06:34 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Just be careful, watch where you are going, and pay attention to those around you. Last summer we were riding in a group. A rider, inexperienced in group rides, went down and broke some ribs and a bone in the wrist. I was ahead so didn't see what happened, and noone along seemed to know why she went down either. After we got her into a store and called her husband, I looked over the bike and it didn't appear mechanically related. Assuming rider error. She is fine and has recuperated now. I like riding with a group, and you will learn what you need to know-don't hesitate to ask for tips from those with group experience. Stay aware and have fun!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-22-20, 07:21 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Don’t run blinking lights in group rides. So very annoying.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 08-22-20, 08:13 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
1. Ride with traffic.

2. Look at where you are going but be aware of what is behind you.

3. Change your name to Forrest and "ride like the wind!"
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 08-22-20, 09:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
Any last minute tips?
Tip: Don't ask a question in the middle of the night about a ride that is going to start before the sun comes up.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-22-20, 10:15 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Tip: Don't ask a question in the middle of the night about a ride that is going to start before the sun comes up.
Good tip. But it was not the middle of the night for all forum contributors.

Anyway, ride went great. Really nice guys. Comfortable pace.

May try a “C” ride next week.

Last edited by Sorg67; 08-22-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 10:32 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The bike club here usually has about 100 or more riders that eventually get well spread out. Early in the ride though riders are closer together than I like making it more difficult to see the road surface well ahead. For this reason I hang back until the group is more spread out. I've seen a crash where one rider went down breaking a hip. The cause was poor visibility ahead during close quarters riding where the front wheel dropped into some sort of expansion joint in the road surface.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-22-20, 10:40 AM
Sorg67

Lots of great tips. Very helpful. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 08-22-20, 05:23 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Lots of great tips. Very helpful. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Left the tips to others but will mention that I am pleased that you had a great time and will be moving up. Well Done
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-31-20, 02:33 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Unless you were literally bored with the pace or it was slower than your average solo ride, consider taking a few more D rides before moving up. As you advance not only does the pace get faster but the expectations of the riders get higher too, drafting, signaling, establishing a paceline and taking a turn on the front. I don't want those expectations to rub you the wrong way. If C and D groups leave at the same place/time get there early and see if you can chat with the ride leader.

Good luck!

Good tip. But it was not the middle of the night for all forum contributors.

Anyway, ride went great. Really nice guys. Comfortable pace.

May try a “C” ride next week.
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 08-31-20, 03:33 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
Unless you were literally bored with the pace or it was slower than your average solo ride, consider taking a few more D rides before moving up. As you advance not only does the pace get faster but the expectations of the riders get higher too, drafting, signaling, establishing a paceline and taking a turn on the front. I don't want those expectations to rub you the wrong way. If C and D groups leave at the same place/time get there early and see if you can chat with the ride leader.

Good luck!
Good suggestions. The pace is slow. But it is nice getting comfortable with the group dynamic when keeping up with the pace is not an issue.

Last Saturday was my second ride with the D group. It was a 25 mile ride. The start was about 8 miles from my home so I rode 8 miles there and 12 miles home for a 45 mile total.

Saturday is my long ride day. I have been increasing my Saturday mileage a little each week. Will go for 46 or 47 next week.
Old 08-31-20, 04:49 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
report back on the hot biker babes.
Some of the "Hot Biker Babes" look like they could beat me up.
Besides..... we cannot say "Hot Biker Babes" in California anymore......Everyone is too sensitive here.....
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-31-20, 05:44 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
The bike club here usually has about 100 or more riders that eventually get well spread out. Early in the ride though riders are closer together than I like making it more difficult to see the road surface well ahead. For this reason I hang back until the group is more spread out. I've seen a crash where one rider went down breaking a hip. The cause was poor visibility ahead during close quarters riding where the front wheel dropped into some sort of expansion joint in the road surface.
What group is that? I joined NBW at the beginning of the year for group rides only to be denied the opportunity to ride in a group due to Covid. Is there another group out there doing rides? I'm in Cranston and usually ride solo but would like to get involve with a group.
Likes For ririder:
Old 09-01-20, 07:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Headed out to my first group ride this morning. It is a slow “D” group ride. Leader and sweeper.

I usually stick to sidewalks and less busy streets. This will be on busier streets. New experience for me.

I will ride my bike to the start point (about 7 miles). It will be dark. I have lots of lights on my bike. Two rear, three front and front and rear on my helmet.

Any last minute tips?
I recommend a bright flashing white light aimed upward toward the face of the rider behind you. You can never be too careful with tailgaters!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-01-20, 08:38 AM
berner

Originally Posted by ririder
What group is that? I joined NBW at the beginning of the year for group rides only to be denied the opportunity to ride in a group due to Covid. Is there another group out there doing rides? I'm in Cranston and usually ride solo but would like to get involve with a group.
The ride I referred to was several years ago. The club may have temporarily stopped group rides but the club is over 100 years old. Rest assured the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen (and women) will ride again. This is a fine and well organized club. Among the things I like is a "hospitality tent" at the end of the ride. A club member will host some snacks, cold drinks and what have you for an hour or so. This provides the opportunity for members, from all over the state and southern Mass. to get to know each other. I also like the club's cycling advocacy work and charitable work.
Likes For berner:
Old 09-02-20, 08:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am habitually a solo rider, so this is based on only half a dozen group rides over many years.
  • Think of it as just another bike ride, don't get too invested in it. Emotionally I mean; just ride.
  • They're likely to be squirrelly by solo rider standards. Not watching ahead for hazards and suddenly veering. Likely paying less attention to traffic patterns up ahead. Talking and weaving. I just give them space.
  • If you happen to get caught up in a pace line, not likely in a D ride but could happen, you may be easily strong enough but inexperienced. The same could be true for others in the pace line. Personally I might draft at the back until I can safely drop off without anyone behind me. They don't like it if you make a gap that they have to catch up after going around you.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-02-20, 08:39 AM
C.corri

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have fun on my local group rides, it sometimes gives you the motivation to get out and ride when your feeling down.
Likes For C.corri:
Old 09-02-20, 11:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I do go on some group rides with my local informal "club," but they're always casual, no-drop rides. No pace lines, just a bunch of people sharing the enjoyment of riding bikes together. The weekly rides on Thursday nights are just tooling around town, usually around 13-14 miles or so, but then sometimes on weekends we'll meet up for a nice long ride to interesting places. Most of the time I ride solo, but it's always fun to join a group.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-03-20, 01:30 PM
brunes83

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport, 2019 Cervelo P3

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Any last minute tips?
With that many lights, it sounds like you're a little timid about riding, which is okay. You should have a good time and try to follow what the person in front of you is doing. Trying to pedal at a constant pace so that you don't create an oscillation in the riding line. Also, don't slam on your brakes, this will create havoc for the people behind you. Groups are great to ride with, that's how you can make quick friends and increase your cycling passion!
Likes For brunes83:
Old 09-03-20, 03:43 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
The ride I referred to was several years ago. The club may have temporarily stopped group rides but the club is over 100 years old. Rest assured the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen (and women) will ride again. This is a fine and well organized club. Among the things I like is a "hospitality tent" at the end of the ride. A club member will host some snacks, cold drinks and what have you for an hour or so. This provides the opportunity for members, from all over the state and southern Mass. to get to know each other. I also like the club's cycling advocacy work and charitable work.
Sounds interesting. I woulf love to join group, but I cna't keep up now even at the slowest pace. I've had a lot of medicl issues this year and can barely get on my bike. I'm in southeast mass, so I could do
RI. Now I would have to quarantine when I get home. RI is no longer on the safe list.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-03-20, 04:21 PM
berner

Rhode Island is a place that people vacation to, a destination. It is not too surprising that infection rates have trended up in the past few weeks or so. I do think though that infection rates are mostly under control judging by the Providence Journal. There is a high school just across the street from my apartment and they are going through the motions for some sort of reopening.

The club riders are sent out in three waves with the fastest riders (over 20 MPH) going first, followed by a second wave a few minutes later and finally, the slowest group (me and others), at 14 to 16 MPH. I'm always at the back of the slow group. With such a large group of riders, there is always someone who rides at your speed. Furthermore, there are usually three distances to choose from, say 75 miles for speedsters, 45-50 miles for the middle group and 25 miles for the slowpokes. I always works out that most riders finish up within 30 minutes of each other.

Maps of the rides are available to down load via the web so you would have an idea of the route in advance. The club welcomes guests so you could easily just try a ride. There are many rides in your area of southern Mass and I especially like the ones that go by a beach.
Likes For berner:
Old 09-03-20, 04:24 PM
berner

Rhode Island is a place that people vacation to, a destination. It is not too surprising that infection rates have trended up in the past few weeks or so. I do think though that infection rates are mostly under control judging by the Providence Journal. There is a high school just across the street from my apartment and they are going through the motions for some sort of reopening.

The club riders are sent out in three waves with the fastest riders (over 20 MPH) going first, followed by a second wave a few minutes later and finally, the slowest group (me and others), at 14 to 16 MPH. I'm always at the back of the slow group. With such a large group of riders, there is always someone who rides at your speed. Furthermore, there are usually three distances to choose from, say 75 miles for speedsters, 45-50 miles for the middle group and 25 miles for the slowpokes. I always works out that most riders finish up within 30 minutes of each other.

Maps of the rides are available to down load via the web so you would have an idea of the route in advance. The club welcomes guests so you could easily just try a ride. There are many rides in your area of southern Mass and I especially like the ones that go by a beach.
Likes For berner:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.