Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stiffness Does Not Matter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stiffness Does Not Matter

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 08:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Energy lost into frame flex never reaches the chain. That is why it is lost.
Old 08-26-21, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

The question is whether that energy is returned to the chain when the BB "unflexes" in the direction of the foot that's not exerting force on the pedal.. I don't know the answer to that and people who seem to know a lot more about the subject than I do disagree.
Old 08-26-21, 08:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
It is lost.... until it is returned. That is how springs work.
Old 08-26-21, 08:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
It’s hard to argue with that. But is it a significant loss?

You could attempt to measure the loss across stiff vs less stiff frames using pedal power meters and a rear hub power meter, swapping those specific power meters between the bikes. The bikes would need to have the same drivetrain in the same condition, same chain lube etc. If you could consistently measure a higher differential between pedal and hub power on less stiff frames then we would have something to discuss here. But I have not seen any attempt to measure power loss due to frame flex objectively.

On a more pragmatic level I’m pretty sure none of the bikes I would personally consider riding competitively would exhibit a significant difference in frame stiffness in terms of power transfer. The only thing I would be likely to notice in terms of stiffness is their vertical compliance and thus their ability to absorb road vibration.
Old 08-26-21, 08:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The question is whether that energy is returned to the chain when the BB "unflexes" in the direction of the foot that's not exerting force on the pedal.. I don't know the answer to that and people who seem to know a lot more about the subject than I do disagree.
it is definitely not obvious. You could potentially model it in FEA, but even that would be an estimate at best. Modern frames are certainly modelled in FEA, but probably not to the degree of attempting to quantify anything more than lateral, vertical and torsional flex and resultant stress distribution across the frame. Frames like the Specialized Aethos have probably been subject to the most analysis in this regard.
Old 08-26-21, 09:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
it is definitely not obvious. You could potentially model it in FEA, but even that would be an estimate at best. Modern frames are certainly modelled in FEA, but probably not to the degree of attempting to quantify anything more than lateral, vertical and torsional flex and resultant stress distribution across the frame. Frames like the Specialized Aethos have probably been subject to the most analysis in this regard.
It certainly is not obvious, and it definitely is not as simple as "metal springs are pretty lossless, therefore no energy is lost to frame flex." Even extensive FEA analysis of a frame won't give you the answer, unless you have a way to include the rider in the analysis.
Old 08-26-21, 09:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I obviate the problem by not generating enough power to flex even the slightest frame.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-26-21, 09:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It certainly is not obvious, and it definitely is not as simple as "metal springs are pretty lossless, therefore no energy is lost to frame flex." Even extensive FEA analysis of a frame won't give you the answer, unless you have a way to include the rider in the analysis.

I'm going with "hell if I know" since my FEA machine seems to be on the blink and I don't want to risk stepping into the thing.

You guys are good sports, I appreciate reading your stuff even if I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 08-26-21, 10:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
People keep talking about data, some of those people have offered anecdata.

I don't see how this question really can be answered satisfactorily with analysis. Any real life testing is going to be polluted horribly with confirmation bias. Jan Heine and his crew are going to be faster on bikes with the stiffness of a playground bouncy toy, and the people that think bikes need to be stiff are going to go faster on stiffer bikes.

And everyone seems to ignore the fact there is a hinge with very weak restoring force right in the middle of bike frames. That has got to influence the feeling of stiffness that a rider gets. This is masked quite a bit because most bikes have very similar geometry
Old 08-26-21, 10:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
(Legs make terrible springs.)
I’ve ignored most of the posts as I imagine this is how life will be in a retirement home.

But buried the the sea of letters and numbers was this and I had to comment on it. Legs are the finest example of springs/suspension there is. And not just using an example of a hardtail, but in everyday life. The number of cycles we put our legs through absorbing impacts is phenomenal.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-26-21, 10:30 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
But buried the the sea of letters and numbers was this and I had to comment on it. Legs are the finest example of springs/suspension there is. And not just using an example of a hardtail, but in everyday life. The number of cycles we put our legs through absorbing impacts is phenomenal.
Absorbing impacts is not what defines a good spring. If it was, the crushable liner in your helmet would be called a good spring.
Old 08-26-21, 10:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’ve ignored most of the posts as I imagine this is how life will be in a retirement home.

John
No, legs really are terrible springs. In fact, they are barely springs at all.
Old 08-26-21, 10:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Sprung versus non-sprung (rigid) pogo stick? Running along a very long trampoline? My head hurts.

Someone upthread suggested performing tests using bikes with power meters in both the rear hub and cranks or pedals. If there's anyone out there who happens to have access to both types of power meter (and to both ultra-flexy and ultra-stiff bikes), please help put the rest of us out of our misery.
Old 08-26-21, 10:39 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Someone upthread suggested performing tests using bikes with power meters in both the rear hub and cranks or pedals. If there's anyone out there who happens to have access to both types of power meter (and to both ultra-flexy and ultra-stiff bikes), please help put the rest of us out of our misery.
It's easy to make that measurement, but hard to make it in a way that produces useful information.
Old 08-26-21, 10:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

John
Nah. Now kangaroo legs are great springs. Did you know that they actually have a lower heart rate at top speed because they're just boinging along?
Old 08-26-21, 10:41 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It’s hard to argue with that. But is it a significant loss?

You could attempt to measure the loss across stiff vs less stiff frames using pedal power meters and a rear hub power meter, swapping those specific power meters between the bikes. The bikes would need to have the same drivetrain in the same condition, same chain lube etc. If you could consistently measure a higher differential between pedal and hub power on less stiff frames then we would have something to discuss here. But I have not seen any attempt to measure power loss due to frame flex objectively.

On a more pragmatic level I’m pretty sure none of the bikes I would personally consider riding competitively would exhibit a significant difference in frame stiffness in terms of power transfer. The only thing I would be likely to notice in terms of stiffness is their vertical compliance and thus their ability to absorb road vibration.
It has been done in the recumbent world.

Besides me, there was another recumbent rider on this thread. Lateral flex is not a fast climber in our world. The frames are much longer and the effect is quite exaggerated

The lateral movement of the BB on a flexible frame puts force onto the tires increasing hysteresis losses.

Undoubtedly, some of the stored energy in the deflected frame is returned to the chain. However, if this causes articulation of the chain on the drive side of the chain (top), the frictional losses increase in the chain.
Old 08-26-21, 10:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I don't think that a power meter on the rear hub and cranks is going to fully answer the question of efficiency and power delivery. (thought it will answer some of the more specific questions, here). It will let you know the efficiency between the pedals and the wheel, but it does not tell you what is happening on the rider's side of the pedals.
Old 08-26-21, 11:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kapusta
No, legs really are terrible springs. In fact, they are barely springs at all.
Old 08-26-21, 11:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don't think that a power meter on the rear hub and cranks is going to fully answer the question of efficiency and power delivery. (thought it will answer some of the more specific questions, here). It will let you know the efficiency between the pedals and the wheel, but it does not tell you what is happening on the rider's side of the pedals.
It would measure power loss from the pedals through the bike frame and drivetrain. At the pedals you are measuring the rider's torque and cadence to give their power output. I guess you are asking if the frame is flexing enough to directly affect the rider's pedalling efficiency and power output? I suppose it could in the extreme, but that really is going to be very subjective. My own power limitation comes from my engine! Pedal forces are relatively low.
Old 08-26-21, 11:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I stand corrected
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-26-21, 11:55 AM
PeteHski

It's easy to make that measurement, but hard to make it in a way that produces useful information.
I think you could have a good go. You need 2 test frames with different lateral stiffness, a pair of power meter pedals and a rear wheel with a hub power meter. You might as well throw in some crank power meters too for good measure. Calibration is not that critical as long as they are consistent, which good quality meters are.
Then you just ride the first bike through a set power cycle, swap the meters over and repeat on the other bike. Swap back and forth a few times for repeatability. Then it's just a matter of comparing pedal/crank vs hub power loss between the 2 bikes. If there is any power worth actually saving it should show up in such a test.

Someone mentioned confirmation bias, but that would be irrelevant in the above test as you are not asking anything subjective of the rider. All they have to do is ride to the specified power targets.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-26-21, 12:07 PM
tomato coupe

I think you could have a good go. You need 2 test frames with different lateral stiffness, a pair of power meter pedals and a rear wheel with a hub power meter. You might as well throw in some crank power meters too for good measure. Calibration is not that critical as long as they are consistent, which good quality meters are.
Then you just ride the first bike through a set power cycle, swap the meters over and repeat on the other bike. Swap back and forth a few times for repeatability. Then it's just a matter of comparing pedal/crank vs hub power loss between the 2 bikes. If there is any power worth actually saving it should show up in such a test.

Someone mentioned confirmation bias, but that would be irrelevant in the above test as you are not asking anything subjective of the rider. All they have to do is ride to the specified power targets.
It sounds pretty simple, but I don't think it is. I suspect Mr. Chung could shed a lot of light on the issue, but I don't know if he's on this forum.
Old 08-26-21, 12:14 PM
PeteHski

It sounds pretty simple, but I don't think it is. I suspect Mr. Chung could shed a lot of light on the issue, but I don't know if he's on this forum.
I think it is pretty simple, but needs careful attention to detail. We are looking for significant differences in drivetrain/frame power loss. Not absolute values. If these "frame flexing" losses are in the order of a few percent then they should be easy enough to measure in a controlled test cycle. Like it's not too difficult to measure a 3-4% loss in a drivetrain.
Old 08-26-21, 12:28 PM
PeteHski

I also think one of the reasons you don't see this kind of test performed is simply because there are enough other legitimate reasons to make the BB and frame laterally and torsionally stiff. Tuning vertical compliance is probably of more interest to frame designers. Frames that absorb more of the energy/vibration imparted by bumpy road surfaces rather than transmitting it through to the rider reduce fatigue on long rides. Being primarily a century rider in my 50s this is certainly what I look for in a frame and modern carbon bikes are F'ing stiff at the BB anyway.

But I did notice that Vielo claim a 30% increase in BB lateral stiffness with a frame dedicated to using a 1x drivetrain:-

https://www.vielo.cc/pages/r1-road-bike

Does it matter? Probably not.
Old 08-26-21, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

I think it is pretty simple, but needs careful attention to detail. We are looking for significant differences in drivetrain/frame power loss. Not absolute values. If these "frame flexing" losses are in the order of a few percent then they should be easy enough to measure in a controlled test cycle. Like it's not too difficult to measure a 3-4% loss in a drivetrain.
Then you should do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.