Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bicycles with integrated frame storage

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bicycles with integrated frame storage

Old 09-05-21, 05:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wear cargo pants and a small backpack which gives me plenty of room for storage.
Old 09-05-21, 05:42 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
i like the internal storage on the diverge, whose geometry is almost a dead match for the roubaix (other than the head tube). 1x, of course... but it would make a nice endurance road bike with the right tires.

not having any nostalgia for the old days, i find bags on the bike totally unsatisfying. it would be interesting to know how much of the carefully tuned wind tunnel aerodynamics of a modern road bike is lost when you throw some flappy canvas on there!
Old 09-05-21, 06:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Integrated storage will ensure that the dedicated items for that particular bicycle will be readily available & not left on the counter. It'll also greatly increase the potential for longer distance rides. The seat bag holds the essentials, but if I could put two other items in it without going to a larger bag, it'd be almost as great as a slice of bread.. in between something else.
Old 09-05-21, 06:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I kind of agree, but fully integrated solutions like the Domane can't be that great for frame efficiency. Effectively having a huge cutout in the middle of the downtube is a compromise too far for me. The mtb version of this has been reported to rattle a bit too, which would annoy me massively. I run a tiny saddle bag with just a tube and multi-tool and everything else goes in my jersey pockets. I see Cube's solution as a step up from the usual saddle bag without compromising the main triangle design!
I can say that my domane storage does not rattle one bit. I was looking at the Emonda, but I decided on the Domane for a couple of factors, and the internal storage was one of them. I can even store a light rain jacket in there as well, which is really sweet,

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-05-21, 07:48 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Personal preference for storage, but internal storage keeps honest people honest & it's nice having things stowed out of the elements.
Ah well I’ve been caught in the rain and the Domane frame let’s water in. Granted it was a downpour.
Old 09-05-21, 08:51 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Ah well I’ve been caught in the rain and the Domane frame let’s water in. Granted it was a downpour.
it wasn't road tar, mud, or bug splatter tho!
Old 09-10-21, 10:24 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I love the look of integrated storage. Diamond back has a couple bikes with integrated storage, the IO and the Andean.

Old 09-10-21, 11:09 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
[QUOTE=PeteHski;22216655
But I'm not totally sold on integrated frame storage due to its implications for frame design as I mentioned earlier in the thread. If it was there I would use it though for sure.[/QUOTE]

Just curious as to what you think the implications are ? Not being a ****** just curious. The downtube on the Domane is HUGE....and frame designers cut pretty big holes for the BB etc. I just think the designers know how to build em and they warranty them for life. If its a thing that only the 1% of elite riders get then thats beyond me but if there is something to be on the watch for I want to know what it is !!
Old 09-10-21, 02:54 PM
Troul 

The diamondback is hideous imo.
what I wondered is why hasn't their been a compartment made at where the down tube & top tube meet?
It'd likely add strength.
Old 09-10-21, 03:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Just curious as to what you think the implications are ? Not being a ****** just curious. The downtube on the Domane is HUGE....and frame designers cut pretty big holes for the BB etc. I just think the designers know how to build em and they warranty them for life. If its a thing that only the 1% of elite riders get then thats beyond me but if there is something to be on the watch for I want to know what it is !!
The implications are that you have to make the frame heavier or lose some stiffness, or a bit of both. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you are not going to see it in frames where weight or stiffness are the highest priorities. With the Domane I can see how the integrated storage might be worth the small compromise, but I don't think we will see this kind of feature appearing on lighter frames. Why does the Domane need such a huge downtube anyway? Well I guess partly because it has a huge hole in the middle of it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-11-21, 05:23 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I kind of agree, but fully integrated solutions like the Domane can't be that great for frame efficiency. Effectively having a huge cutout in the middle of the downtube is a compromise too far for me. The mtb version of this has been reported to rattle a bit too, which would annoy me massively. I run a tiny saddle bag with just a tube and multi-tool and everything else goes in my jersey pockets. I see Cube's solution as a step up from the usual saddle bag without compromising the main triangle design!
I've got a 2021 Domane SLR with the integrated storage, and it's an excellent feature. It keeps a flat kit & mini-tool out of sight, and there's room for more if needed.
I haven't heard a rattle, even when going down roads with potholes & ruts.
One of the nicest things about it is that it doesn't stand out. The storage on the Roubaix was hideous, and made it look the bike was an E-bike.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 09-11-21, 05:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I've got a 2021 Domane SLR with the integrated storage, and it's an excellent feature. It keeps a flat kit & mini-tool out of sight, and there's room for more if needed.
I haven't heard a rattle, even when going down roads with potholes & ruts.
That's good to know then. The mtb version did have issues with the cover rattling in case anyone thought I just made that up!
Old 09-11-21, 07:20 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Why does the Domane need such a huge downtube anyway? Well I guess partly because it has a huge hole in the middle of it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I can see how a race bike or super light machine would avoid this feature. I always thought that the compartment was an add on BECAUSE the downtube was really big ....not that they made the down tube big just to add that feature....but what do I know LoL. I guess I will see how it holds up !!
Old 09-11-21, 01:26 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Why does the Domane need such a huge downtube anyway? Well I guess partly because it has a huge hole in the middle of it!
Thanks for the reply. I can see how a race bike or super light machine would avoid this feature. I always thought that the compartment was an add on BECAUSE the downtube was really big ....not that they made the down tube big just to add that feature....but what do I know LoL. I guess I will see how it holds up !![/QUOTE]

Yes the down tube is big, who knows which came first, that or the storage.
I agree, it may not be suitable for a race bike, SLR weighs in at 18 lbs, with Sram Red eTap22, carbon bars & Aeolus Pro 51 wheels (the new ones).
But it doesn't ride heavy, it zips up rollers and shorter hills, and it's really fast on flat ground & in pacelines.
Old 09-11-21, 03:08 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton

Yes the down tube is big, who knows which came first, that or the storage.
I agree, it may not be suitable for a race bike, SLR weighs in at 18 lbs, with Sram Red eTap22, carbon bars & Aeolus Pro 51 wheels (the new ones).
But it doesn't ride heavy, it zips up rollers and shorter hills, and it's really fast on flat ground & in pacelines.
Yeah chicken and egg kind of question, lol.

I didn't mean to make a big deal of the impact this kind of integrated storage feature has on frame design (the Domane is a nice bike). But when manufacturers are generally looking to shave a few grams off wherever they can (Specialized Aethos being the ultimate in this regard) integrated storage hatches in the main frame tubes are unlikely to feature in the design brief. That's all I was trying to say really i.e. that's why it's not a common thing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-11-21, 03:17 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Yeah chicken and egg kind of question, lol.

I didn't mean to make a big deal of the impact this kind of integrated storage feature has on frame design (the Domane is a nice bike). But when manufacturers are generally looking to shave a few grams off wherever they can (Specialized Aethos being the ultimate in this regard) integrated storage hatches in the main frame tubes are unlikely to feature in the design brief. That's all I was trying to say really i.e. that's why it's not a common thing.
Yes, the Domane has gotten heavier with each new generation. I had a 2014 ProjectOne Six Series (rim brake), which weighed 15 lbs with pedals & cages.
It was a perfect combination of endurance-race geometry & lightweight. It was a great climbing bike that didn't beat you up on centuries.
The 2021 SLR is over 18 pounds, but is still pretty fast, and it's very comfortable & smooth on crappy, rutted New England roads.
I've also got a 2019 Emonda SLR weighing in at 13.5 pounds with pedals & cages, it's fast & nimble, and climbs like nothing else.
It's also pretty comfortable, but not as smooth as either Domane, and of course the down tube is much too small for integrated storage.
BTW, the internal storage & integrated light mount make for a nice, clean setup.

I love both bikes.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton: