Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-21-21, 01:06 PM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
1) Size of tire vs. size of tube. I can carry about 3 tubes, maybe 4 in the space it would take me to carry a tire.

2) Also, likelihood of the mishap. I ride several thousand miles per year, even with "puncture proof" tires, I'll blow a tube or three every year. It's been decades (if ever) since I had a tire blow out so bad I couldn't make it work for a few miles.

I also ride in a lot of places where cell phone coverage is non-existent, so I'd be an idiot not to be prepared for a tube failure, which is something I've had occur a few times.

BTW, sounds like most of your aversion to changing tires roadside could be alleviated by packing a pair of shop gloves. Just sayin....

I'm really skeptical that your friends will appreciate the 50 mile round trip, but whatever.
Wow! If you are blowing three tubes per year there is a problem. Perhaps you are not installing the tubes properly. There are lots of youtube videos that will show you the correct way to install a tube. Carrying three or four tubes with you sounds a bit extreme. I also ride thousands of miles per year, since I began using different tires, I have not had a single flat.

Riding alone a lot in no cell areas is foolish. I do occasionally lose service but I always make sure that if I am going to be in a no-service area for an extended period of time, I ride with at least one other cyclist.

Shop gloves, eh? Nah, not worth it, I very rarely get flats. But if I do get a flat... cellphone!
Old 09-21-21, 01:10 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Hi, everyone! What's this thread about?
Old 09-21-21, 01:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
This thread blows
Can it be fixed?
Or do we need to call a mod to do the dirty work?
Old 09-21-21, 01:12 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Rolla
Maybe you should rehearse your schtick a few times before your next performance.
@Rolla is a user who repeatedly parses other users and posts the partial quote thereby losing or changing the context of the quote.

At best it is ignorance. At worst it is disingenuous. Either way, I will no longer engage in any dialog with this user.
Old 09-21-21, 01:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
@Rolla is a user who repeatedly parses other users and posts the partial quote thereby losing or changing the context of the quote.
You are a gaslighting troll who got caught in his own BS.

I will no longer engage in any dialog with this user.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-21-21 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Wow! If you are blowing three tubes per year there is a problem. Perhaps you are not installing the tubes properly. There are lots of youtube videos that will show you the correct way to install a tube. Carrying three or four tubes with you sounds a bit extreme. I also ride thousands of miles per year, since I began using different tires, I have not had a single flat.

Riding alone a lot in no cell areas is foolish. I do occasionally lose service but I always make sure that if I am going to be in a no-service area for an extended period of time, I ride with at least one other cyclist.

Shop gloves, eh? Nah, not worth it, I very rarely get flats. But if I do get a flat... cellphone!
I don't like puncture proof tires and my GP5000s are resistant enough, I've used Marathons and Gatorskins, and I don't like the way they handle. I often ride on crappy roads because New England, but I don't think my trade-offs are unreasonable. I don't think I have a problem as it seems very proportional at about one tube per 2000 miles generally, but thanks for your "concern".

I spent the first several decades of my life riding alone in no cell phone areas because the cell phone hadn't been properly invented yet, so I guess I'll continue to take that risk. I honestly don't give a crap whether you think that's "foolish".

I frankly don't believe you're doing a lot of riding 25 miles from home at this point, and definitely feel you trolled this thread and essentially changed your story. Now, according to you, it never really happens anyway, so whatever.

I didn't say I carried 4 tubes, BTW, I was just making the spatial comparison. I usually carry two, one for any contingency for me, and one I can provide someone else if they're otherwise stranded without having to give up my backup..

Obviously, you've decided to play some petty game of gotcha here, so I'm done.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 01:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
This thread blows
Can it be fixed?
Or do we need to call a mod to do the dirty work?
Very Good. Grade A material.
Old 09-21-21, 01:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Why is a slashed tire any different? If you are going to be prepared, should you not have a spare tire with you? Or, are you going to call someone to rescue you??? Just saying...
There is a point for all of us where preparation spills into overpacking. Everyone is different as its simply a spectrum. You are clearly on the far end of that spectrum. Packing an entire clincher tire is close to the other side of the spectrum. Most cyclists fall somewhere between.
Carrying a boot/dollar bill will allow you to most likely continue to ride even with a slashed sidewall, it the very small chance that happens.

This repair would require the user to touch a tire though, so it wont work for you.
...until when you get home and apparently willingly touch tires at that time since you change tubes there.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-21-21, 01:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was unsubscribed when you first quoted me, bored with the nonsense of the thread. Since it's clear that you can offer neither a logical argument nor entertainment value, I'll take my leave and unsub again. Ta ta.
You didn't offer a "logical argument". You just descended into insults.

If you are so triggered by a minor disagreement, staying off the internet would be even better to do.
Old 09-21-21, 01:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This repair would require the user to touch a tire though, so it wont work for you.
...until when you get home and apparently willingly touch tires at that time since you change tubes there.
I change all my flats at home. I use a ventilated glove box to keep my hands clean and to avoid breathing any stale air left in the tube.
Old 09-21-21, 01:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 910 Posts
Nope, flats are not regular occurrences. Since I started using more expensive puncture-resistant tires, I very rarely get flats.

If flats are that much a problem for you, I would suggest looking into new tires. Yuge difference!
I don't get flats very frequently.

I said relatively regular. You rarely get them but you still get them. How many miles are you riding in a year?

Why is a slashed tire any different? If you are going to be prepared, should you not have a spare tire with you? Or, are you going to call someone to rescue you??? Just saying...
This is a dumb argument because you are suggesting there's no reason to be able do deal with more-common issues if you can't deal with every possible issue (you are using a "slippery slope" argument).

Flats are generally a much more common issue than a slashed tire and many slashed tires can be managed with a boot. That is, you generally don't need a spare tire at all.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 02:06 PM
BadgerOne

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Likes For BadgerOne:
Old 09-21-21, 02:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow;22240051[
Either way, I will no longer engage in any dialog with this user.
Maybe include all of BF in your "no dialog" list?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-21-21, 02:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is a point for all of us where preparation spills into overpacking. Everyone is different as its simply a spectrum. You are clearly on the far end of that spectrum. Packing an entire clincher tire is close to the other side of the spectrum. Most cyclists fall somewhere between.
Carrying a boot/dollar bill will allow you to most likely continue to ride even with a slashed sidewall, it the very small chance that happens.

You just jogged a memory from a few years ago. I did get a small cut in a tire which I booted with part of a to go menu I happened to have in my bag.
Old 09-21-21, 02:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I bet the friends he calls for a rescue have him on their "no dialogue" list, too.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 02:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Riding alone a lot in no cell areas is foolish.
Are you not aware that for at least half of recorded history, there was no phone service anywhere?

Back to the OP: when I rode high pressure tires, I topped off before every ride. Now it takes a week to lose more than 5-8 PSI, so once weekly is enough.

I travel with 4.5 pounds of tools, first aid kit, spare tubes, and lock. I, too, wonder why people travel without tools, but they're not my problem. The one time someone asked to use my pump, it didn't work....

BTW, despite all the tools I carry, I usually ride within a mile of a commuter rail station, and I live 1/2 mile from a station. My Plan B is to wait for a train ... IOW, I really don't need the tools.

Last edited by philbob57; 09-21-21 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 04:07 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
An attempt at sarcasm? Snark? Otherwise, why make such a strange suggestion?
Old 09-21-21, 04:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts

Probably I'm just discouraged. Two other trolls we thought had disappeared have resurfaced this past week. Carry on....
Old 09-21-21, 04:38 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
That’s enough of this, closed.
Likes For BillyD: