Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Work Stand Recommendation

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-20-21, 02:19 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

With Amazon there is just too much to plow thru - Anyone use a bike stand with wheel holder that can hold 60Lbs to recommend or not recommend?
Thanks! :^)
Old 09-20-21, 02:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
I bought a $50 cheapie form Walmart and have used it for years. Metal tubes, plastic fittings, which worried me, but so far, no issues. If you are ever in doubt, open your wallet and buy Park Tools.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-20-21, 03:05 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sempervee
With Amazon there is just too much to plow thru - Anyone use a bike stand with wheel holder that can hold 60Lbs to recommend or not recommend?
Thanks! :^)

Park Tool PCS-9.2 Home Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand

You can buy this on Amazon, $162.00, works fantastic
Likes For NitroExpress:
Old 09-20-21, 04:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
A lot of people use this: Bikemate Bike Assembly Stand - ALDI UK. I think I bought mine for $20-$25. Amazon charges more for what looks like the same stand.

I wish it required less floor space, but I have to use it in the foyer of an apartment. If I had a basement or a car space in a garage that wouldn't be a problem. I wish it were more stable, but that comes at a price I don't want to pay. It's OK, but for bottom bracket work, I put my bike on a trainer and sit on the floor.
Old 09-21-21, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
PCS-9.3 or if you want a little lighter and fancier for travel the PRS-25 from Park Tool is a great option. I have an early version of the PCS-4.1 but I would go for the 4.2 personally as it has the better clamping mechanism. Get good tools, and they will work well and last a long time!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-21-21, 07:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Define "Wheel holder".
Kind of depends on your wallet and intent.
I have a $300 ultimate support (now Feedback sports) pro elite and a couple of the ALDI bikehand that I got on sale for $20.

Your average everyday cleaning, lubing, and adjusting the ALD is just fine. When I need to do some serious reefing on old stuck stuff the Feedback is where it's at.
Both work just fine to the level I expect from them for the $ they cost.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-21-21, 08:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 978 Posts
I've had a Feedback Sports work stand for about 10-12 years and still works perfectly. It was not cheap, but It folds up very compactly so I can hang it on a wall.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-22-21, 12:29 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 76 Posts
2x4's, a saw and a screw gun.
damn near free, wont scratch a bike, make it yourself like you want/need it.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 09-22-21, 12:41 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by macstuff
2x4's, a saw and a screw gun.
damn near free, wont scratch a bike, make it yourself like you want/need it.

I’m attempting the pipes & scrap wood.
getting a decent clamp seems like a pain.
I think I’d go with a Park Tool Stand and avoid the hassle.
although there’s a slight DIY satisfaction. Very slight.
Likes For mrv:
Old 09-22-21, 01:15 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 76 Posts
yeah, I hear ya.
I'm just one of those that wont pay huge money for average things.
A Park stand is just that. I cant believe people pay that kind of money to hold a bike up in the air a couple feet.
I hang them off the ceiling by bungie to paint and either flip them upside down on a picnic table to work on, or just stand them on the picnic table which has a wheel slot cut into the top so no need for a kickstand or other type.
I also have a regular bike stand (not Park) I bought used, and it works fine, but I like the picnic table best.
I spent Years paying a tool truck weekly for quality tools so I understand the value of quality tools and the such, but its just holding a bike tight.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 09-22-21, 02:46 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
What a colorful collection of ideas.. from one end to the other!! Thanks Gents!
Old 09-22-21, 04:51 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
I found a Bike Hand on the local craigslist. Good quality for a low price stand. Clamp works well on my not round carbon frames. Light enough I fold it up and take it in the truck for extended trips.
Old 09-22-21, 04:56 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I recently bought this bike stand" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could say it's a bargain for the price, but it would actually be a bargain at twice the price. It's sturdy and effective.

If I struggled to find a criticism, it would be that I'm often too lazy to lazy to take the 30 seconds to set it up for basic maintenance.
Old 09-23-21, 01:38 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you're planning on cycling for the rest of your life and you do your own work I recommend buying the best quality brands for tools/stands/ect even if it costs more. I've had the same Park PCS-1 stand since 1993 and it's still going strong. I bought it at the same time I bought my new Trek 8000 (fully rigid for $1000) to begin my MTB life.

I am going to retire it and buy a 10.3 with every single attachment they make for it because it's so dang nice. One time I wanted a new truing stand and rolled the dice on an inexpensive Spin Doctor and the first time I used it I knew I had wasted my money and it was replaced with a Park.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-23-21, 05:20 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Picked this up on Facebook messenger. Two cleats. I don't have a lot of free wall space, so I mounted one cleat to some scrap lumber, and mount that in my big-ass bench vise. When not needed, the stand clamps to the inside of my work bench, out of the way. The other cleat mounted outside for cleaning the bike after muddy day rides.

Likes For Warbird21:
Old 09-23-21, 05:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I echo Lazy Ass - my wife gave me the Park PRS-6 as a birthday present back in the mid 1990s and I'm still using it today. Discontinued, now everything has the folded base, I think the equivalent is the 9.3.

One thing I had to add recently was an add-on to hold the carbon bike I bought in 2017.
Old 09-23-21, 05:42 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I've found most portable stands lacking for things like bottom bracket work. In fact, the standard heavy base Park shop stands aren't much better if you have to put force into a wrench trying to deal with a stuck, overtightened or corroded fastener. That said, I've owned and used Minoura and Park stands and currently have two Feedback (formerly Ultimate) Sports portable stands. Working on our tandems, I typically have to have one wheel on the ground when mounted in the stand to have stability. You asked for ability to support 60lbs so that suggests to me you're interested in using it on a heavy e-bike. I think you'll be disappointed unless you buy a very heavy duty stand. Our recumbent tandem weighs about 50 lbs and the stand is useful but it's an unwieldy combination due to the weight and length.

Good luck in your quest.