Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DIY indoor cycle(can axles/skewers handle this)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-21, 03:02 PM
Fade24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey, I wanted to cycle inside my house on the cheap end. Rollers are expensive and I don't like trainers and how they wear down parts. Also I see exercise bikes for free or cheap but have no way of transporting it. I'm trying to stay cheap $30 or under.

I've looked at countless DIY rollers and trainers on Youtube and articles. The one that pops out to me the most is getting some used jack stands and putting pegs on my rear tire. Put the pegs on the jack stands and then buy or build a front wheel riser block. Then using a rubber band or zip ties to have rear brakes engaged for resistance. Not sure if pegs can go on this bike.

I was wondering if the axle/skewer can handle the weight and unusual force. Pretty sure brake pads are cheap to replace. I also would like to learn how to maintain a bicycle myself so that would be a fun project when it comes time to replace them.

I weigh 230lbs and have a Jamis Allegro and my goal is to lose weight and get back into shape. I just don't take the bike outside as much and inside would be a lot more convenient and appealing.

DIY rollers looked complicated and required some tools that i don't have.

I'm open to any other cheap options. Don't care about Zwift setup or anything like that. I am a beginner so I might have gotten some bike parts confused. Thanks.
Old 09-16-21, 03:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 952 Posts
On a trainer, bike weight is partly supported by the resistance roller while your proposed "trainer" would have no such support. As well, brakes that are on all the time generate heat and also wear rims. Your solution could end up costing you far more in repairs and part failures than a properly designed trainer. I also don't think that pegs on a bike used for training could support your weight
Old 09-16-21, 04:27 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
On a trainer, bike weight is partly supported by the resistance roller while your proposed "trainer" would have no such support. As well, brakes that are on all the time generate heat and also wear rims. Your solution could end up costing you far more in repairs and part failures than a properly designed trainer. I also don't think that pegs on a bike used for training could support your weight
Thanks for the reply. I don't like trainers as they wear down the tires. I know there are specific tires for a trainer but that is an additional cost.
Old 09-16-21, 08:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Fade24
Thanks for the reply. I don't like trainers as they wear down the tires. I know there are specific tires for a trainer but that is an additional cost.
A worn tire is less expensive to replace than a worn out rim or a broken frame on the sort of setup you propose. A single trainer tire lasts for years, I used one for a few years until I bought a direct drive trainer that doesn't use a wheel at all. You can also use tires that are too worn to trust on the road anymore.
Old 09-16-21, 08:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
The frame wouldn't have any problem holding the weight if the weight is transferred to the ground properly. Some people could design such a thing, I'm sure some other people would mess it up.

You might consider making something like the feedback sports trainer, which has two rollers
https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...table-trainer/
Old 09-17-21, 09:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 401 Posts
I'm trying to stay cheap $30 or under.
I concur with the above sentiments that the DIY hack job you’re trying to create has the potential to cost you more in the long run with regard to wear on the brake pads, rims, etc…compared to the cost of a tire. Look at this…I just did a quick search for resistance trainers and this was the first one that came up…for just a few dollars more than the $30 limit you set. So…I’m sure you could find a good used one well within your limit if you look hard enough on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Heck, maybe even a new/unused one.
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-T...01123014&psc=1

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-17-21, 11:19 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can buy a trainer for like $20
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-T...e-deals&sr=8-4
Old 09-17-21, 12:04 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 2,835 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I concur with the above sentiments that the DIY hack job you’re trying to create has the potential to cost you more in the long run with regard to wear on the brake pads, rims, etc…compared to the cost of a tire. Look at this…I just did a quick search for resistance trainers and this was the first one that came up…for just a few dollars more than the $30 limit you set. So…I’m sure you could find a good used one well within your limit if you look hard enough on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Heck, maybe even a new/unused one.
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-T...01123014&psc=1

Dan
I bought one of those from Amazon a couple of years ago. Works very well, with more resistance available than most people would ever need. I eventually bought a wheel-off smart trainer so that I could do TrainerRoad workouts, otherwise, I'd still be using the $38 magnetic resistance trainer. The OP should skip the idea of cobbling together some rickety stand.

If he's really obsessed with fear of tire wear, he could just buy the mag trainer for the sturdiness of the stand, ignore the magnetic resistance roller, and, as he suggested, tighten the brake pads. They're his rims to wear out prematurely if he choses to do so.
Old 09-17-21, 12:27 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
You can find used rollers cheap on FB MarketPlace. I bought a set for $40 in the Detroit area. And now that I have used rollers, I only use my fluid trainer for when I want to watch a movie or something while indoor riding. Rollers are so much better for correcting any bad habits I develop over the 8 month riding season.
Old 09-21-21, 03:28 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
You can find used rollers cheap on FB MarketPlace. I bought a set for $40 in the Detroit area. And now that I have used rollers, I only use my fluid trainer for when I want to watch a movie or something while indoor riding. Rollers are so much better for correcting any bad habits I develop over the 8 month riding season.
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I have been looking for rollers used on fb and Craigslist. Unfortunately haven’t found any under $100.
Likes For Fade24:
Old 09-21-21, 03:30 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Elvo;22234260]You can buy a trainer for like $20
sorry for the late reply. I’m aware of that but don’t trainers wear down tires quite a bit. And aren’t tires expensive to replace?
Old 09-21-21, 03:35 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dan
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I regularly go on fb and Craigslist and see some used trainers. I’m just concerned on how much they wear down tires and I think tires are expensive to replace.

Ive been researching even more and I have another idea that may work. I am gonna get some casters(with bearings) and place a threaded rod between them. Then use nuts to attach them to a solid frame of wood.

so they would be basically cheap rollers and I will raise the front wheel a bit. Maybe use a riser stand or build a wooden stand or something.

Wouldn’t rollers wear down parts normally compared to regular use outside? Maybe it possibly could develop uneven wear on back tire.
Old 09-21-21, 03:36 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
A worn tire is less expensive to replace than a worn out rim or a broken frame on the sort of setup you propose. A single trainer tire lasts for years, I used one for a few years until I bought a direct drive trainer that doesn't use a wheel at all. You can also use tires that are too worn to trust on the road anymore.
Sorry for the late reply. Where can I buy a trainer tire? Are they easy to install and how much should I expect to pay.

Also how do I find out what size tire to get? Thx
Old 09-21-21, 03:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
Looks like a trainer tire costs about $35
Old 09-21-21, 04:10 PM
Moles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Last time I was at WallyWorld, I saw Bell branded cheapo road tires for under 20 bucks IIRC. I can't see why that wouldn't be suitable as a dedicated tire for a trainer setup.
Old 09-22-21, 07:23 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Wouldn’t rollers wear down parts normally compared to regular use outside? Maybe it possibly could develop uneven wear on back tire.
Correct, rollers wear down parts just as normally as they would during normal outside riding. I'd even say the rollers wear down parts less. Rollers are far smoother compared to most roads (especially chipsealed ones like around Ann Arbor MI), and you won't be picking up dirt dust and grime that would wear down a chain.

Turbo liquid/magnetic trainers will wear down a rear tire more than outside use. I switch to my cheap tires for winter training, There are tires on Bike Tires Direct and Amazon under $20 that will easily work well for winter trainers.
Old 09-22-21, 07:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
only one way to find out. If you are determined to do it, do it

Experts in cycling have posted here. They have been there and done that as far as cycling indoors. If you choose to listen great, if not, live and learn
Old 09-22-21, 09:00 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ll second that used rollers can be found cheap. Watch CL & FB marketplace. Keep looking. I’ve even seen them for free, needing some TLC.
Old 09-22-21, 09:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Sorry for the late reply. Where can I buy a trainer tire? Are they easy to install and how much should I expect to pay.

Also how do I find out what size tire to get? Thx
Again I concur with others who are saying you should just obtain a dedicated trainer instead of reinventing the wheel (pun not intentional). You’re coming up with all kinds of cockamamie ways to construct a DIY trainer because of suspected tire wear outside the universal norm, when you can get one that won’t cause damage to your bike, for less than what you’d spend to construct a DIY one. But now you’ve created troll suspicion with your question

Where can I buy a trainer tire? Are they easy to install and how much should I expect to pay.Also how do I find out what size tire to get?”

Are you telling me that you have the mechanical expertise to build all these DIY training stands but you don’t know where to find your tire size, nor how to install a tire?

I call troll.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-22-21 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-22-21, 10:50 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 405 Posts
The tire wear thing is not that big a factor, don't overthink it. It's real, but you have to log hundreds of hours before you have an issue to address. Get a used magne-trainer from Craigs List and get to work without the wonky stuff. $30 or $40 bucks and many hours of time saved on engineering and testing.
Old 09-22-21, 11:29 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
So you would rather wear down brak pads and discs, or pads and rims?

The tire wear is minimal usually, and even if you are using it a lot and have a lot of wear, you can put a cheap tire on it so you don't wear out a good tire.

Your quest is a good example of penny wise, and pound foolish.
Old 09-22-21, 03:56 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again I concur with others who are saying you should just obtain a dedicated trainer instead of reinventing the wheel (pun not intentional). You’re coming up with all kinds of cockamamie ways to construct a DIY trainer because of suspected tire wear outside the universal norm, when you can get one that won’t cause damage to your bike, for less than what you’d spend to construct a DIY one. But now you’ve created troll suspicion with your question

Where can I buy a trainer tire? Are they easy to install and how much should I expect to pay.Also how do I find out what size tire to get?”

Are you telling me that you have the mechanical expertise to build all these DIY training stands but you don’t know where to find your tire size, nor how to install a tire?

I call troll.

Dan
Not a troll. I haven’t researched yet how to find what tire size to get. I’d assume on the side of tire similar to cars. Just talking. I’m being lazy I suppose.

This post, was just for me to find the cheapest possible way to ride my bike indoors.

I’ve seen trainers used on fb/Craigslist just was concerned with wear on parts is all. I’m not mechanically sound when it comes to bicycles. However I want to be and have been researching since I posted this.

I also like doing diy projects. So I looked on websites and YouTube.
There is a new one that interests me as it is dirt cheap, and simple to build. Maybe it won’t work, maybe it will. Until I can find cheap used rollers.

Or I will go the trainer route as many on here have helped alleviate my concerns about them.

That’s all. I just made an account to post on here. I searched for forums on bicycles and this popped up. I didn’t take my time to think out what I’m writing. Was just a quick post.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-21, 03:58 PM
Fade24

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
So you would rather wear down brak pads and discs, or pads and rims?

The tire wear is minimal usually, and even if you are using it a lot and have a lot of wear, you can put a cheap tire on it so you don't wear out a good tire.

Your quest is a good example of penny wise, and pound foolish.
That was at the beginning of my research. Just throwing out ideas.

Many on here have helped alleviate my fears of a trainer.

Was just looking for ideas on the cheapest way to bike indoors is all.

Last edited by Fade24; 09-22-21 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For Fade24:
Old 09-22-21, 04:09 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 2,835 Times in 1,614 Posts
DIY bicycle rollers

DIY indoor trainers
Old 09-22-21, 07:05 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Not a troll.
Sorry for the accusation.

Dan