Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Can I use Shimano Alfine front dynamo hub for touring ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 01:54 AM
Ardisi23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

shimano alfine dhs501 dynamo front hub

$89.99
Old 06-09-18, 06:34 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I have no personal experience but I've heard they are a good inexpensive option for a dynamo hub. There are lots of positive reviews online.
Old 06-09-18, 08:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
sure, why are you hesitant? it's the nicer line from Shimano, they make a cheaper line too .
still makes power

An Alfine option is is the ability to mount a brake disc. QR axle..
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...0/DH-S501.html

$90 is hub only , see if you can fidd a built wheel,

We have Wholesale sources for built wheels via Bike shops ,
saves money, and you get help with wiring the bike.

Old 06-09-18, 08:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Yup.
Old 06-09-18, 03:28 PM
Ardisi23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it ok for gravel rides ? I dont to expensice to much on dynamo hub

Currently im riding deore hub
Old 06-09-18, 04:25 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Just make sure you notice if using disk brakes that Shimano uses a pos proprietary centerlock brake rotor rather than the simple industry standard. If touring and you need to remove the disk for travel or if it gets damaged, you have to carry around a special tool and big wrench to remove/install it. Otherwise you end up stuck on the side of the road/potentially have a ruined trip. Personally I’d get a 6 bolt hub for touring. It wouldn’t be a big deal for just riding locally where you can just go home and fix the bike there. ...though it stil leaves you stranded until someone can come get you if you get a bent rotor that needs removal in order to ride the bike home or something.
Old 06-09-18, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the same tool as used your shimano freehub lockring, works..

But does not have to be as tight. (should not, as its of aluminum, not steel )

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-11-18 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 05:37 PM
3speed

Yes, that special tool, and a large wrench, rather than just the hex on your multi-tool for every other brake disk ever...
Old 06-09-18, 06:06 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3speed
Yes, that special tool, and a large wrench, rather than just the hex on your multi-tool for every other brake disk ever...
I wouldn't call that a "special tool" considering that it already has at least one other use.

A lot of folks carry one anyway, and IME the centerlock rotors really aren't bad if you fly your bike a lot. It's a little less fiddly when you pull the rotors off the wheels to avoid damaging them in flight. Also don't need a "large wrench", I have a small insert that lets mine work just fine with any 10mm hex wrench.

The only thing that I'd say is a pain with the centerlock rotors is when you have multiple bikes with different standards...which still isn't that big a deal, when you look at things like all the different bb options etc.
Old 06-11-18, 08:59 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Yes. I used my Shimano generator hub for commuting and touring for years. Eventually the rims wore out, and I just moved that hub to a new wheel.

On the disc brake issue: Yes, it's a small pain to have two separate methods for attaching/removing the discs. But for me, the best solution is to find a rear up that uses the Shimano set-up. I find it much easier and quicker, even though the tools involved take up more space. My current front wheels have Shutter Precision hubs, and my rear wheels have Shimano, disc-ready hubs with their proprietary connection. My regret is that I didn't get front hubs that also used the Shimano method.
Old 06-11-18, 03:16 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
I wouldn't call that a "special tool" considering that it already has at least one other use.

A lot of folks carry one anyway, and IME the centerlock rotors really aren't bad if you fly your bike a lot. It's a little less fiddly when you pull the rotors off the wheels to avoid damaging them in flight. Also don't need a "large wrench", I have a small insert that lets mine work just fine with any 10mm hex wrench.
Agreed, if you have a shimano style cassette lockring, then a hypercracker type cassette lockring remover is already a good idea for broken rear drive side spoke problems, and can then be also used for the brake disc as needed. There is a small penalty in comparison to 6 inhex type bolts, but definitely not insurmountable.

With regard to the original question, I've found dyno hub use can extend or change the way touring is done in the following ways:
A. It's handy if for some reason you are delayed by breakdowns or actually any particular thing, or need to go further than originally intended. You can continue after dark with no worries about battery state for lighting, to get where you want to go.
B. Likewise, you can start a little before sunrise if you're plan to go a longer distance in one day for any reason.
C. You can tour much more effectively in seasons with shorter daylight hours. This for me has been great, touring is less restricted by season. I also get to see sunrise and often sunset from somewhere picturesque, which I also greatly enjoy.
D. You can keep battery powered items topped up during daylight hours, if you have the correct equipment, which is readily available, as long as your average speed is not very low.

In short, there are many advantages and no real disadvantages. You don't even have to do any of the above listed. But you can if you want, or suddenly need to.

Last edited by tspoon; 06-11-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 04:39 PM
3speed

I wouldn't call that a "special tool" considering that it has one other use.

Also don't need a "large wrench", I have a small insert that lets mine work just fine with any 10mm hex wrench.
I don’t know you or what strength you may possess, but I think that if you can get those lockrings off with just a short hex wrench, you might not be putting them on to spec. There’s a certain abount of torque called for when installing them, and there’s a reason they’re designed for use with long handled wrenches. Otherwise they’d be smaller and come with a hex wrench hole rather than a large wrench fitting.
As for the tool, you have to go to a specialty shop and buy a tool that’s only good for the specific purpose of removing that one(or two) particular part. If that’s not a special tool, I don’t know what is...
Originally Posted by Rob_E
My current front wheels have Shutter Precision hubs, and my rear wheels have Shimano, disc-ready hubs with their proprietary connection. My regret is that I didn't get front hubs that also used the Shimano method.
I’ll trade you hubs if you want. My bike has the stupid Shimano Alfine with center lock. It’s a newer wheelset and I’m sure it has less than 1,000mi on it. I see it as my only real risk on tour. I’m not likely to have a BB fail, or get stranded due to a rear spoke breaking, so not carrying those tools isn’t a big deal to me, but brake disks can get bent easily and this stupid brake disk could well screw me some day. I’m replacing it either way. Let me know if you’d want to trade. If the flange diameters are at least really close, it’s as simple as just relacing the new hub into the wheel and you don’t even need spokes. Mine’s a 32 spoke.
Old 06-11-18, 05:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Yes you can, you can use a dynamo hub on pretty much any bike. We just did a really nice conversion on someone's road bike though we went with a SON hub and extra spokes in the front (28 vs 24) but it was an awesome set up. Clean and sexy. I haven't used the Alfine dynamo or any Shimango dynamos but haven't seen or heard anything bad about them other than maybe weight and that isn't really an issue, I would really worry about.

My Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross Fun Time Machine runs a Shutter Precision hub and Supernova lights and my touring bike is running a SON hub with Busch and Müller lights and a Sinewave charger and my commuter bike will be running a Kasei dynamo hub (I was talked into it because Merry Sales was out of SP hubs and they said this was the same so maybe just rebranded or something but I trust them after over a 100 years in business) and some B&M lights.

My only issue would be the Supernova tailight could be improved with some reflectors to help spread the rear light out a little more and help make it brighter and maybe some other mounting options for the rear light. Other than that the front light has been excellent (my mounting could have been improved to remove some tire shadow but I am happy.

Basically I am super sold on dynamo lights and really wish they were more common here in the Americas. Generating my own light and power is sofa king cool. Never running out of light or having to charge lights is excellent and also the charging on my touring bike will be quite nice.
Old 06-11-18, 05:24 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I currently use the Alfine dynamo on my touring/gravel road/commuting bike. Works very well.

It does have the center-lock disc brake. However, once my current disc brake is replaced, I will install a 6-bolt disc brake adapter and use the more commonly available, and less expensive, 6-bolt version discs. Here's an example of the 6-bolt adapter (e.g. DT Swiss 6-bolt disc adapater)

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...er+center+lock

I carry such an adapter should I need one on tour.
Old 06-12-18, 12:54 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don’t know you or what strength you may possess, but I think that if you can get those lockrings off with just a short hex wrench, you might not be putting them on to spec. There’s a certain abount of torque called for when installing them, and there’s a reason they’re designed for use with long handled wrenches. Otherwise they’d be smaller and come with a hex wrench hole rather than a large wrench fitting.
As for the tool, you have to go to a specialty shop and buy a tool that’s only good for the specific purpose of removing that one(or two) particular part. If that’s not a special tool, I don’t know what is...

I’ll trade you hubs if you want. My bike has the stupid Shimano Alfine with center lock. It’s a newer wheelset and I’m sure it has less than 1,000mi on it. I see it as my only real risk on tour. I’m not likely to have a BB fail, or get stranded due to a rear spoke breaking, so not carrying those tools isn’t a big deal to me, but brake disks can get bent easily and this stupid brake disk could well screw me some day. I’m replacing it either way. Let me know if you’d want to trade. If the flange diameters are at least really close, it’s as simple as just relacing the new hub into the wheel and you don’t even need spokes. Mine’s a 32 spoke.
I've checked the torque on em with a regular torque wrench. It's not a big deal for me to get past that with the loose hex wrenches that I carry (I can't stand how awkward those multitools are in actual use). And again, it's the same tool you use to remove the cassette. I carry one anyway when I'm out for more than 2-3 weeks. I've used it a few times too.

I'd actually consider trading but I've got no use for the hub. Why don't you just get a couple adapters for 6 bolt rotors? I'm pretty sure those are a thing.

Last edited by manapua_man; 06-12-18 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-12-18, 07:18 AM
3speed

I've checked the torque on em with a regular torque wrench. It's not a big deal for me to get past that with the loose hex wrenches that I carry (I can't stand how awkward those multitools are in actual use).
Good to know about the torque thing. Maybe I’ll carry the lock ring tool and adapter you speak of until I can replace my hub. Kind of annoying to take up the extra space and weight, but at least they’re small tools, and well worth it if I bend a rotor. Better that than stranded. The trade thing was for Rob, but hey, I’m open to any trade if anyone is interested. I’ve considered the centerlock adapter, but would rather just have a hub intended for what I want rather than use a workaround. And not that the Alfine is bad, but when I have the spare “bike stuff” budget to replace it, I’ll get something nicer than the Alfine anyway.
Old 06-12-18, 10:27 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty happy with the Shutter Precision hubs. One thing I like about them is how compact they are, so I'm thinking it's very unlikely that the flanges are the same diameter. But either way, I've got other wheels in the works, and don't want to be rebuilding the ones I've already built. But from here on out, if the Shimano disk attachment is an option, that's how I'm going.

For what it's worth, I have flown my bike around with me a few times now and reinstall the discs after every flight, and I keep a small set of RoboGrip pliers in my tool set, which has been very effective at tightening up the disc brakes. Still not as light as a hex wrench, but when I'm trying to turn a bunch of bike parts into a touring machine in a short amount of time, I'll take speed and convenience. And those pliers come in handy other times as well.