Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any noteworthy bike purchase regrets?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-23-19, 04:11 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
In what way does a cell phone holder affect your battery life or screen size? You are just changing the manner in which you choose to use your phone which in the end is a regret in your own behavior.
Having the screen on all the time showing the directions, while not being plugged into anything, would suck down all the juice in some phone batteries real quick. It’s why I got a Garmin and stopped relying on my phone for Strava, even though I always kept mine in my pocket. So my Garmin is a purchase I don’t regret, even if it is multiple times what a phone holder would cost.

I bought a pair of crank bro’s Candy pedals to try them out. It took me about a half a ride to figure out the egg-beater configuration and all the wonders of extra float that everyone loves about them were not the right pedal for me. I at least got some of my money back on eBay, but it’s disappointing that pedal systems don’t offer the same trial methods that, say, saddles do.

Oh, and the jersey I bought at the store at the summit of the Col d’Aubisque is at least a size, probably 2, too big. It’s a cool jersey that I will never part with (it was a hard day getting all the way to the top of that beast) but I wish I could wear it on rides without feeling like a flagpole.
Old 10-23-19, 05:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Getting a bike with a Nexus 8 hub instead of a Nexus 7.

Because the gear ratio difference between gears 5 and 6 in the Nexus 8 is a bit large (22.3%) and I use those gears frequently.

The Nexus 7 has more evenly spaced ratios throughout with no greater than 16.6% in the upper gears I would use.
Old 10-23-19, 06:04 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I kinda regret a few vintage bike purchases...

One was a Miyata mixte. I'd always wanted to goof around with a mixte, and this one was cheap ($30) and had been up for a while. I immediately realized that it was not great: hi-ten steel, the heaviest wheels in the history of mankind, and tires that needed to go. The fork was not great, either. I felt bad for the guy though - he was trying to sell off a bunch of bikes to get money for gas so he could get the heck out of town - so I bought it anyway. At some point, it got a new fork and became a fixed gear.

Another was a 1967 Schwinn Breeze, single speed with coaster brake. Dirt cheap, looked good in the ad, but the thing was a hot mess. I kinda had fun cleaning it up, but it turns out I'm just not a cruiser kinda person. It's in storage now, until I get around to replacing the rear tire and finding it a good home (for free).

Finally, the 1960s (not sure what year) Schwinn Stingray, also single speed with coaster brake. What on earth was I thinking?! Fortunately that one got a good resale price to one of the boozer-cruiser types.

Otherwise, the first two pairs of bike shorts I ever owned. They were better than nothing, but OMG, if I'd known better, I would have saved myself a couple years of pain.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-23-19, 07:55 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've always had a lot of fun with all the bikes I've bought. The worse thing I ever bought that had wheels on it was a 1968 Mustang fastback with a Cobra Kit V8 engine that produced about 375HP. The second worse thing with wheels was the 1966 Alfa Romeo GTB that I traded for the Mustang. I guess the worse bicycle mistake I ever made was to buy a Schwinn Suburban BITD. I remember when the Beatles broke up. (It sucks getting old).
Old 10-23-19, 08:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have a Calfee DIY bamboo frame kit and I regret never getting around to building it
Old 10-23-19, 09:41 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I have a Calfee DIY bamboo frame kit and I regret never getting around to building it
See, I think that is just cool (the kit, not the not building it part).
Old 10-24-19, 05:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Regrets?

I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

Actually, it's only money and they're only things. So with regard to purchases, no I cannot recall anything that I've regretted. I guess if there was a catastrophic failure that injured someone, I'd regret that. But it hasn't happened to me.

I even try to not regret having sold things that I enjoyed or had sentimental meaning. Regret will only ruin your present and throw off your future.
Old 10-24-19, 05:35 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
In what way does a cell phone holder affect your battery life or screen size? You are just changing the manner in which you choose to use your phone which in the end is a regret in your own behavior.
It doesn't.

However, the purpose of having a cell phone holder is so that one may use the phone while riding. Using Google maps while riding is not practical because the display is too small to be useful while moving and too dim in direct sun to be seen. Additionally, using the mapping feature on the phone drains the battery quickly, thus either: (a) the battery is drained before the ride is over, making the phone useless in fulfilling the main purpose for which I carry it (calling for help in an emergency); or (b) I turn off Google maps, which negates the purpose of having a cell phone holder on my bars in the first place. Therefore, the cell phone carrier is not useful to me and I regret that my Mom spent money on what she thought was a useful gift.

Clear?
Old 10-24-19, 05:56 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Shoes. I bought a pair of carbon fiber cycling shoes that were on sale and figured I was getting a deal. While the dollar value might have been a deal, what I didn't realize is the shoes didn't fit me properly. I forced myself to wear the shoes because I spent the money, but I was so much happier when I finally bought of shoes that fit.
Old 11-05-19, 06:58 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I've regretted the 15 saddles that I bought so far...and counting
You beat me, I only have ten. My search ended with a Selle Anatomica. A Rivet might be worth a look as well, although a bit harder than a Selle Anatomica.
Old 11-05-19, 07:46 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Like some others have stated, I'm not much for regret. Life's too short.

When I think about it, I don't even regret my purchase of the infamous Godzilla Takara. I mean, sure, it was the worst would-be road bike I ever brought home. But I still learned a few things and had fun cleaning it up, overhauling it, and imagining what a great commuter it was going to be (right up until it wasn't).

Looking at the thread now, I guess I regret going with photobucket. Stupid blurred-out pics.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 11-05-19, 07:53 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I bought a new Trek Project One. Haven't even gotten it yet, and already questioning why I would spend that kind of money on a bike. But it's not a regret, more like a reality check. I realize each time I ask myself that question that I have spent way more than that on so many other things in the past (most notably cars), that it's not even worth the thought. Sure, there are nice bikes out there to be had for less, but not this one. This is MY Trek, and whoever gets it after me (if I ever get rid of it), will be getting MY bike. And that's something special to me that I've never done before. When it comes to big purchases, I've never bought new, or custom ordered anything. So I'm excited, but that could turn to regret haha. Never know!
Old 11-05-19, 07:59 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I bought a new Trek Project One. Haven't even gotten it yet, and already questioning why I would spend that kind of money on a bike. But it's not a regret, more like a reality check. I realize each time I ask myself that question that I have spent way more than that on so many other things in the past (most notably cars), that it's not even worth the thought. Sure, there are nice bikes out there to be had for less, but not this one. This is MY Trek, and whoever gets it after me (if I ever get rid of it), will be getting MY bike. And that's something special to me that I've never done before. When it comes to big purchases, I've never bought new, or custom ordered anything. So I'm excited, but that could turn to regret haha. Never know!
Which one did you get? What colors? And what gruppo--if you don't mind me being nosy. Just curious. Pictures? Not a Trek guy, but always wanted to go through that whole process and make my own bike. Good for you.
Old 11-05-19, 08:09 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Which one did you get? What colors? And what gruppo--if you don't mind me being nosy. Just curious. Pictures? Not a Trek guy, but always wanted to go through that whole process and make my own bike. Good for you.
Yea, so I got the Domane SLR7, so Ultegra Di2 group. Color was the Project One ICON color "Molten Marble". Don't have pictures yet because it doesn't get to my LBS until next week. I'm in Japan, so with build and shipping time, it's taking a bit over a month total. Talk about a LONG time to think about your purchase before you even go to pick it up haha. Yea, Trek is a weird one and I see comments on almost every thread it seems talking about how there are too many of them and people don't like them. Call it "newbie" naivety, but I have no idea what the deal is with the hate on Trek. Like I said, I could have spec'd an Orbea Orca Dura Di2 for the same price, or a SCOTT or something similar with Dura Di2 for even less than I paid for the Trek. But I loved the ICON color schemes, especially Molten Marble, and I just liked the customization options. Also, I've said it before but the customer service was just good. It was the final cherry that helped me make my decision. I'll post pictures as soon as I have them!

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 11-05-19 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 08:26 PM
bpcyclist

Man, that paint job is just sick. Unbelievable. I am officially jealous. I have a pretty strong gut feeling you won't be personally encountering very many Trek haters when they get a look at your bike out on the road. Ha!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-05-19, 08:51 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’ll pitch in. But I’ll also add what I learned from hindsight.

1) 3 pairs of shoes - one size 45, one 43 and one 41 (OUCH) before getting a 42 wide. Turns out I have wide feet and none of the bike shops I went to even thought to figure that out. Still haven’t found the perfect shoe because my forefoot has very little volume and my heel is narrow, but I’m able to ride without ending up in tears after 20 minutes.

2) pirelli p zero velo tires. I was using these on my skinny rims before. I never felt quite confident leaning hard but they were OK for the most part. With phat rims, I felt like I could barely turn. Leaning at close to 50mph was a hair-raising experience. Turns out that the tread on p zeros is very narrow, and the coefficient of friction on the sidewall is (obviously) much lower. Cornering when 30% of your contact patch is slick is no fun. So now I will only buy tires that have a wide usable tread cap.

3) I bought 170mm cranks because a fitter told me he “would not recommend” 165s. I’m 5’ 7” and wear 31” jeans (long legs). Within a couple months, I said screw it and bought 165s anyway. Easily my best biking-related decision yet, besides the shoes. Maybe it’s placebo, but spinning, climbing, getting aero are all easier now. I learned that, despite what everyone seems to think, shorter cranks will not kill your power, ruin your sprint or make it harder to climb out of the saddle, assuming you stay reasonable. Now I have this 170mm crank just sitting here.

I have more but I think these are the big ones.
Old 11-05-19, 09:35 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Man, that paint job is just sick. Unbelievable. I am officially jealous. I have a pretty strong gut feeling you won't be personally encountering very many Trek haters when they get a look at your bike out on the road. Ha!
Thanks. Yea, the others are more "in your face", but this one just spoke to me. It seems the closer you get, the more intense it looks, so I'll be anxious to get it out on a sunny day and do a shoot with it. Maybe I'll even get lucky and Fuji will play nicely as a backdrop.
Old 11-06-19, 01:06 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I’ll pitch in. But I’ll also add what I learned from hindsight.

1) 3 pairs of shoes - one size 45, one 43 and one 41 (OUCH) before getting a 42 wide. Turns out I have wide feet and none of the bike shops I went to even thought to figure that out. Still haven’t found the perfect shoe because my forefoot has very little volume and my heel is narrow, but I’m able to ride without ending up in tears after 20 minutes.

2) pirelli p zero velo tires. I was using these on my skinny rims before. I never felt quite confident leaning hard but they were OK for the most part. With phat rims, I felt like I could barely turn. Leaning at close to 50mph was a hair-raising experience. Turns out that the tread on p zeros is very narrow, and the coefficient of friction on the sidewall is (obviously) much lower. Cornering when 30% of your contact patch is slick is no fun. So now I will only buy tires that have a wide usable tread cap.

3) I bought 170mm cranks because a fitter told me he “would not recommend” 165s. I’m 5’ 7” and wear 31” jeans (long legs). Within a couple months, I said screw it and bought 165s anyway. Easily my best biking-related decision yet, besides the shoes. Maybe it’s placebo, but spinning, climbing, getting aero are all easier now. I learned that, despite what everyone seems to think, shorter cranks will not kill your power, ruin your sprint or make it harder to climb out of the saddle, assuming you stay reasonable. Now I have this 170mm crank just sitting here.

I have more but I think these are the big ones.
I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam and I ride 170 cranks. I like to spin too, but I'm a bit surprised that you feel 165s work for you. But as long you're comfortable, that's what is important. What are the 170s...are they for sale?
Old 11-06-19, 01:21 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam and I ride 170 cranks. I like to spin too, but I'm a bit surprised that you feel 165s work for you. But as long you're comfortable, that's what is important. What are the 170s...are they for sale?
Here’s the “secret formula” for crank length. It depends not just on your inseam, but also your tibia length and, to a certain extent, your hip mobility, your bike fit and your riding style. You can have the shortest legs in the world, but if you’re all femur, no tibia, you can accommodate very long cranks. It’s a bit more complex than that once you factor in ankle mobility, but that’s the general gist. Hopefully you can visualize why. It wasn’t like 170s were horrible. 165s were just better and allow me to breathe with a nearly flat back. And I suspect they would be better for most people around my height if there weren’t so many myths about how shorter cranks will destroy your power. My friend got a bike fit that costs $300. He’s 5’ 5” with incredibly short legs (slams the seatpost on a 49) and the fitter said 170s were optimal for him. It’s absurd because the guy is forced to ride with his legs bowed outwards and his bars practically at seat height despite easily being cat 4 or even 3 material. He’s getting 165s soon, though.

I have a set of R7000 50/34 170s sitting in my garage. Unused chainrings but the crank arms have cosmetic wear. I guess I should list them on craigslist at some point but ofc if anyone wants them they can dm me.

Last edited by smashndash; 11-06-19 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-06-19, 02:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
I regret nothing.

Well, maybe missing some group bike rides, especially after hearing their stories and seeing some photos. Darned social media pressure.

The few disappointing purchases I've made were so cheap it's hard to complain.

There's a set of 700x32 Continental Sport Contact II in the closet with about 500 miles on 'em. Cost only something like $15 or $20 from Nashbar during their closeout phase last year, before they reorganized under a new owner. Got 'em to fit an old set of SKS Bluemel fenders for last winter. But I didn't care for the ride quality. So I switched back to the Conti SpeedRides that are too wide for my old fenders. I'd rather put up with a few mud spatters than a bad ride. I should buy some larger fenders.

Ditto, phone mounts for my old iPhone 4s, for the same reason someone else mentioned -- short battery life per charge makes those impractical. But via Amazon Warehouse deals for unsold old stock, the Delta mount cost only $3, and the 2012 era Wahoo Fitness pack with ANT+ holder and speed/cadence sensors cost only about $10. I still use it on the indoor trainer, but not outdoors. It'll barely last an hour with the display on. Longer with the display off, but the ANT+ phone holder/adapter blocks the iPhone speakers so I can't hear the voice updates on the sensor readings. And the USB port broke after the third use -- a maddeningly common problem with 2012 era iPhone 4s aftermarket doodads, including the Mophie Juice Pack Air I bought for around $5. But for what I paid it's hard to complain.

I have a couple of @$$ hatchet saddles that were cheap. Eventually I'll give 'em away or put 'em on a bike I'm selling. Not really a problem at the price I paid. I've had better luck with used saddles from the LBS take-off bargain bin.

By far I've had good luck with bike related purchases, especially with blowouts and closeouts from Amazon, Nashbar, Jenson USA and others. More than makes up for the few duds.

My best buy may have been a pair of Conti SpeedRides for $20/pair on a one-day Prime sale three years ago. Still riding those tires, still love 'em, will buy more when I finally wear out this pair, and will happily pay the usual full price of around $25/each.
Old 11-06-19, 04:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I have an embarrassingly large collection of battery powered headlights and taillights and an even more embarrassing legacy of dead batteries which all could have been avoided had I made the move to dynamo lighting much sooner. First it was alkalines, then rechargeables, then USBs. Batteries die. They become unrechargeable. Sooner or later it happens to every battery ever made, so if I'd have figured it out sooner... oh well.
Have you considered donating your light collection to your local bike library? I'm sure they could use them.
Old 11-06-19, 08:34 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Yeah, I have one. A mid-'60s Schwinn three-speed. Propitiatory 597mm size wheels/tires. The replacement tires alone cost me more than I paid for the whole bike.
Old 11-06-19, 09:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Once you've been through an expensive divorce, you will realize that most other financial losses are no big deal.

In other words, I don't really regret any bike-related purchases.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-06-19, 10:35 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a couple of jerseys that I regret purchasing. According to the sizing online the jerseys should have fit me perfectly. Yet when they arrived, they were either too small or too large. The return shipping never made it worth my while to send them back, so I just gave them away.
Old 11-07-19, 05:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
Preamble: For me, one of life’s contests is to get the best deal on the best thing, at the right time. As a result, I tend to deliberate for a long time before I spend money on expensive bike toys (also because I’m cheap).

I notice folks here tend to talk about their successful purchases and/or the qualities they liked less in the alternatives.

Question for the forum: what is a memorable bike purchase that turned out to be one you regret?

For me, I bought an Infinito after testing every endurance bike model I could. I love it, but after I had it about two or three weeks I saw an Oltre xr4 on the road and realized I wished I’d considered, tried it, because clearly the grass looks greener over there.

I’ve never stopped regretting the oversight.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

Actually, it's only money and they're only things. So with regard to purchases, no I cannot recall anything that I've regretted. I guess if there was a catastrophic failure that injured someone, I'd regret that. But it hasn't happened to me.

I even try to not regret having sold things that I enjoyed or had sentimental meaning. Regret will only ruin your present and throw off your future.
Originally Posted by canklecat
I regret nothing. ..

The few disappointing purchases I've made were so cheap it's hard to complain.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Help with choosing a bike."

...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals.
"How many bikes have you owned? How many were 'mistakes'?"

In general all my bike purchases are more serendipitous than researched. My only (minor) mistakes were:

• buying the Schwinn suburban as a starter bike because it soon became apparent I wanted a road bike; it was a borrowed Schwinn Varsity that sparked my interest.

• fully loaded touring on the Merciers with sew-up tires, especially on a cross country tour. We had used them satisfactorily in Michigan and Ontario for week-long tours.
The Merciers were a great ride, and handled the load, but flats were frequent cross-country, so we had to carry several spares.

Repairing them was tedious after a long day’s ride, and twice en route we had to leave the bikes in a motel room and hitchhike to a city to buy more tires (Flagstaff, AZ, and Pueblo, CO).

When we arrived in Boston we got clincher rims….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-07-19 at 05:25 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.