Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quiet Hubs: Onyx, Alto, Phil Wood, Shimano, Project 321 quiet pawl

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-18-21, 07:49 PM
A2Doug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Looking for quiet hubs for some custom wheels. It seems Onyx are nearly silent and Shimano are very quiet. Any experience with Alto, Phil Wool or Project 321's quiet version? Or, other suggestions?
Old 03-18-21, 07:56 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 900 Posts
What, you don't want a hub that sounds like a swarm of angry murder hornets? This seems to be the fashion ATM.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-18-21, 08:03 PM
A2Doug

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely want to avoid the angry hornets! To each his or her own, but I don't understand the desire for loud hubs. I love being able to silently move through the world; it is one of the best characteristics of riding a bike. Unfortunately for people who want quiet hubs, you seem to be right that loud is in.
Likes For A2Doug:
Old 03-18-21, 08:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
i was briefly looking for a rear wheel assembly & could not find those other brands you mentioned to have a non early 90s honda civic @ 8,000 RPM with a limp rod bearing noise. The for sure thing is to stick with the tried & true Onyz.
Old 03-18-21, 08:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by A2Doug
Looking for quiet hubs for some custom wheels. It seems Onyx are nearly silent and Shimano are very quiet. Any experience with Alto, Phil Wool or Project 321's quiet version? Or, other suggestions?
Uh, Onyx are as silent as hubs get. They are not lightweight, but it isn't physically possible for a hub to get much more silent--as there is no ratchet at all.
Old 03-19-21, 08:59 AM
A2Doug

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Uh, Onyx are as silent as hubs get. They are not lightweight, but it isn't physically possible for a hub to get much more silent--as there is no ratchet at all.
Yes, sounds like Onyx are the king of quiet. Wondering if I have other options that are similar to Shimano's level. I will probably end up with Onyx. Their Vesper hubs are not too bad on weight.

I should have said, this is for road wheels with disc brakes
Old 03-19-21, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Don't coast.
Old 03-19-21, 09:11 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Yes, sounds like Onyx are the king of quiet. Wondering if I have other options that are similar to Shimano's level. I will probably end up with Onyx. Their Vesper hubs are not too bad on weight.

I should have said, this is for road wheels with disc brakes
The Vesper is their newer product line. It used to be with Onyx hubs all of them shipped standard with ceramic bearings. Which, yay/nay/indifferent, they are very blingy and they back then were the same price as their competitors like King etc with steel bearings. And they actually were a bit cheaper than now, yay for COVID logistics. The Vesper line also changed the hub body and flange geometry quite a bit, but the FH body looks the same, I presume they're still sprag clutch--but a bit lighter.

I do love my set, had them laced to Light Bicycle rims.
Old 03-24-21, 01:33 PM
rovis

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A friend has Shimano 105 and it's barely audible when freewheeling.
Old 03-25-21, 12:52 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Coaster hubs are silent 🙂
Old 03-25-21, 10:30 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Rim or disc brake? For rim brakes you can find older Shimano silent clutch hubs, pretty sure they never did disc brake versions.

The most common was the LX level, but you can newer Nexave hubs sometimes. I built one into a custom wheel for a 26" mountain bike.
Old 03-25-21, 10:47 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Some hubs are loud some are not. If it's too loud you're too old.

Or something.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:40 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 03-25-21, 10:51 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 209 Posts
A couple of quiet/silent options in this video;
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 03-25-21, 11:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Interestingly enough I have loud hubs because they work so well on my commute. I have about 10 miles of my commute on a MUP and in the past saying "On your left" produced some interesting results (moving to their left was a good one, lol) and ringing the bell usually resulted in only the tilting of their head. But I had some robust wheels built up around a DT Swiss 350 hub and that thing buzzes. I added a 54t ratchet and it now sounds like a swarm of murder hornets. EVERYONE turns around when I backpedal behind them. It's such an unnatural sound that in my experience it works way better than calling out and a bell. I'll keep these wheels for commuting as long as possible.

Shimano hubs are quiet. I had a pair of 105 hubs on some wheels that came with my first road bike and they were silent but still seemed to work pretty well. Low maintenance as well.

My weekend road warrior wheels are still a bit buzzy cause they're just cheap shop branded wheels so I'm still part of the baseball card in your spokes cool guy crowd.
Still you better say "on your left", "passing left", "bike back" or ring that bell when you get near me. When I'm walking with my wife, you might get clothelined when I point at something across the way.

Those that do stupid stuff to your announcement are noobs that will later learn what to do. Noobs will always be among us. As are the people that show up in the spring for their one or two walks a year on the MUP that will be forever noobs. <grin>

Any how, that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-25-21, 11:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't coast.
on the second day of a 600km brevet, I was so sick of listening to my Hope hub that I pedaled on downhills.

When I was buying hubs for my gravel bike recently, I considered getting an Onyx. One of the other mechanics told me he had trouble with the reliability of his Onyx hub, so I went with another Hope. If I get another hub for my mountain bike, I probably would go with Onyx. They will engrave a custom graphic for you.
Old 03-25-21, 11:58 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
on the second day of a 600km brevet, I was so sick of listening to my Hope hub that I pedaled on downhills.

When I was buying hubs for my gravel bike recently, I considered getting an Onyx. One of the other mechanics told me he had trouble with the reliability of his Onyx hub, so I went with another Hope. If I get another hub for my mountain bike, I probably would go with Onyx. They will engrave a custom graphic for you.
I had the old Hope trials/SS hub long ago, even louder than the standard one. Only hub I've had someone yell/ask "what the heck is that thing?"
Old 03-25-21, 12:49 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I think this trend of loud hubs came about because of of the popularity of Chris King hubs, which off-roaders love because of the super fast engagement. To get that fast engagement, they have more teeth which makes more noise as the pawls click over them.
The reason Shimano hubs are quiet is because they have relatively small number of engagement points, which makes for slower engaging hub but also a lot less drag and noise.

Engagement probably doesn't matter to most road riders. It's really only a factor if you're ratcheting over technical off-road terrain and find 20 degrees of pedaling before the hub engages to be problematic. Regardless, Chris King hubs are quality stuff and many road riders use them, and may other high end hub manufacturers have similar high-engagement designs, so the noise is now associated with high-end hubs.

Those Onyx hubs look like a really cool alternative. Instant engagement and no noise, but the trade off is a bit more weight and I've heard that they can feel a bit squishy on acceleration.
Old 03-25-21, 02:07 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
P321 has a tandem option with 6 pawls. I'd talk to them and see if you're light enough to ride with 3. The regular version has unnecessarily high engagement IMO. It also only engages 2/6 pawls so I bet that running 3 pawls in the tandem version will be just fine.

standard version has 1.7 deg engagement
tandem has 2.5 deg engagement
tandem/2 is 5 deg.
DT 36T is 10 deg. And that's considered fast
DT 18T is 20deg. I have no issues with mine.

Last edited by smashndash; 03-25-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 03:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
My 2006 Bianchi had a Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset with THE LOUDEST freehub. I used to use it in place of calling 'On your left'. Well last spring I discovered cracks on the rear rim around nearly all the spoke holes, so I bought some NEW Fulcrum Racing 5s and they are SILENT. No longer does coasting down a fast descent sound like a marlin just took the bait and ran. I like it better, honestly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-25-21, 11:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I've had some vintage Shimano LX level hubs that had a silent clutch. They were noticeably heavier than the standard LX hubs of the era (1995 - 2000). The target market for those hubs was police bikes. I don't know if they are available anymore or not.
Old 03-26-21, 08:37 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Iride01
Still you better say "on your left", "passing left", "bike back" or ring that bell when you get near me. When I'm walking with my wife, you might get clothelined when I point at something across the way.

Those that do stupid stuff to your announcement are noobs that will later learn what to do. Noobs will always be among us. As are the people that show up in the spring for their one or two walks a year on the MUP that will be forever noobs. <grin>

Any how, that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
LOL. TLDR, no they don't ever learn....and those people far outnumber the people who know what 'on your left' means'.
Old 03-28-21, 06:17 AM
A2Doug

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I ended up ordering wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs with the 18 teeth. I have heard and read that you can keep these reasonably quiet by greasing the pawls instead of just oil. If they annoy me, I may have the rear wheel rebuilt with an Onyx hub. The conclusion seems to be that Onyx is silent, Shimano is nearly so, and the others range from somewhat noisy to very noisy. I would still like to know how the quiet version of the 321 sounds, as well as Alto and Phil Wood. Thanks again
Old 03-28-21, 02:49 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
A DT Swiss 350 hub has a start ratchet, not pawls. Adding grease between the ratchets help quiet them.
Old 03-28-21, 03:18 PM
A2Doug

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
A DT Swiss 350 hub has a start ratchet, not pawls. Adding grease between the ratchets help quiet them.
Thanks! I will do more reading on it so I know how to service it
Old 03-28-21, 08:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Thanks! I will do more reading on it so I know how to service it
Being a lubricant...it is a temporal 'fix'. The device is fairly simple IIRC--so it isn't hard to do, it just needs done again after so many miles of freewheeling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.