Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling friend collided with deer !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling friend collided with deer !

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 06:36 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
My wife and I were riding down a short hill on a tandem in August of 2001 when two deer blasted out of the woods. We both ducked and the front deer cleared me but the second pushed off of my wife's shoulder during the leap. We were knocked into the road ditch was thankfully all tall grass. My wife's shoulder swelled and bruised immediately and she had a tarry hoof print on her jersey between the top of her right shoulder and her breast. She also had several tufts of hair on her.

We rode home, her with one arm, and she spent several weeks with considerable soreness and bruising, luckily nothing broken.

Old 08-01-21, 04:41 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Deer in a swamp is weird.
I hunt the hell out of swamps and bottom land. Deer love the edges
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 08-01-21, 04:51 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I made contact with a deer's hooves at 42 MPH last month. The bike was completely unaffected. My heart rate not so much. If the deer had been a tiny bit slower, or I had been a tiny bit faster, it could have been really bad.
Old 08-02-21, 11:22 AM
MitchW

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to continue the thread, I ran over a rattlesnake yesterday. I was about 10' behind another rider and didn't see the snake with enough time to swerve. I did manage to pull my feet out of the pedals which really wasn't necessary but instinct prevailed. I didn't go back to check on the poor guy.

I've also managed to run over a squirrel who changed his mind at the last minute. Luckily for him it was my mtn bike and he survived.

Mitch
Denver, CO
Likes For MitchW:
Old 08-02-21, 02:08 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I've never HIT a deer (come close several times) but my buddy and I had two deer charge out of the woods and hit us simultaneously as we rode up a dirt road early one morning. One hit my rear wheel and it's legs went through the spokes, the other hit my buddy square in the body. All four of us went down, the one with it's legs in the spokes cried out a bit but both deer jumped up and continued into the woods in the direction they had been heading. My buddy and I got up a little slower, almost disbelieving what had happened. As we looked over bikes and bodies, a guy driving a road grader pulled up behind us and said "that was the craziest f'n thing I've ever seen." We all had a laugh and continued on our way.
Old 08-02-21, 03:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerat
Like Iride01, a friend of mine had no recollection of getting run over by an elk near Steamboat Springs, Colorado. He worked in town and commuted to his house outside of town and one evening his wife had an intuition something was wrong and went looking for him. Found him in the ditch out cold with a broken femur. If not for elk hair on his bike, it would have been a mystery. I asked him how he feels about elk now, he orders it every time its on the menu.

Was driving through this town. At first thought “They just let their horses run around un fenced?” She was not concerned with me getting out and taking her pic. Did not want to intrude too far into someone’s property.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-02-21, 03:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Cervids are overpopulated in a lot of the US.

Over habitat carry capacity. Spreading CWD, hoof rot to each other. Underweight.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-02-21, 03:27 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by billyymc
I've never HIT a deer (come close several times) but my buddy and I had two deer charge out of the woods and hit us simultaneously as we rode up a dirt road early one morning. One hit my rear wheel and it's legs went through the spokes, the other hit my buddy square in the body. All four of us went down, the one with it's legs in the spokes cried out a bit but both deer jumped up and continued into the woods in the direction they had been heading. My buddy and I got up a little slower, almost disbelieving what had happened. As we looked over bikes and bodies, a guy driving a road grader pulled up behind us and said "that was the craziest f'n thing I've ever seen." We all had a laugh and continued on our way.
What part of the US? Maybe CWD? Not trying to “big deal” it. Have certainly seen otherwise healthy wildlife do crazy stuff.
Old 08-02-21, 08:02 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Many years ago a friend of mine on his way to Tahoe for skiing one year had a deer leap from the side of the road and land on his car and came thru the windshield, shattered it. Fortunately, he was OK without any scratches. The deer didn't fare as well. Neither did his car, now that I remember this.
Old 08-03-21, 05:50 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
What part of the US? Maybe CWD? Not trying to “big deal” it. Have certainly seen otherwise healthy wildlife do crazy stuff.
Central NY state. I think it was just wrong place at the wrong time - two deer running out of the thick roadside cover, two dummies riding bikes up a remote dirt road at 6:30 am.
Old 08-04-21, 08:29 AM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Around here (Maryland) deer are rampant and evolution does not yet seemed to have convinced deer to look both ways before they cross the road.
some do! A few days ago I saw a deer standing by the side of the road. At first I thought it was just grazing there or something and stood up for a minute, but then the traffic cleared and it ran across. It was waiting to cross.
Old 08-05-21, 09:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,606 Times in 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Retfor
some do! A few days ago I saw a deer standing by the side of the road. At first I thought it was just grazing there or something and stood up for a minute, but then the traffic cleared and it ran across. It was waiting to cross.
Darwin would approve.