Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plateau to Percy

Old 08-02-21, 10:34 AM
wooglins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plateau to Percy

Need some advice preparing for a 4 day tour (Plateau to Percy) Plateau to Percy Bike Tour - Walk Bike Nashville

It goes down September 23rd-26th. The ride is 225 miles with the following consecutive days:

Day 1 - 41 miles 3700ft
Day 2 - 52 miles 4172ft
Day 3 - 72 miles 3375ft
Day 4 - 62 miles 3047ft

Here is my VeloViewer summary:

Your Summary - VeloViewer

I have only really been cycling for 1 year age 49

I am currently averaging 100-130miles a week. Weekly TSS is roughly 600 right now however I am feeling abit worn.

Is this doable? Or am I to late to the game? I have never done a multiday trip. None of the individual days worries me. 4 in a row, not sure.
Old 08-02-21, 02:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
As long as it's not a race and you can ride at your own speed it should be doable.

Big thing is whether or not you have figured out how to fuel yourself during the ride and after the ride. If a single 2 to 3 hour ride right now will have you tired and not riding for the next couple days then you might need to be ready to punt. Though it's possible if you find the right cyclist to socialize with on the ride, then that'll give you a motivation to reach further than you currently have.

So stay hydrated for certain. I would be consuming about 180 to 220 Calories per hour. Mostly in my bottles I drink from every 10 minutes.
Old 08-02-21, 02:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
You'll probably be fine. Maybe try a couple of 50 mile days back to back, ease your mind. The website indicates they will have shorter options each day, just in case. Have fun!
Old 08-04-21, 03:57 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. You have seven weeks to prepare. Keep doing what you're doing, 100+ miles per week. Like shelbyfv suggested, sometime leading up to the P to P you should do a few longer consecutive days, with elevation gains similar to what you'll see there. If you can do two or three days, you can do four.

During the event, don't forget to eat well (hopefully by now you know what works for you; if not, that's something to figure out soon), get some good sleep each night, and dress appropriately for the expected weather conditions. These might seem like no-brainers, but some folks neglect the basics and suffer as a result.
Old 08-09-21, 07:09 AM
wooglins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
As long as it's not a race and you can ride at your own speed it should be doable.

Big thing is whether or not you have figured out how to fuel yourself during the ride and after the ride. If a single 2 to 3 hour ride right now will have you tired and not riding for the next couple days then you might need to be ready to punt. Though it's possible if you find the right cyclist to socialize with on the ride, then that'll give you a motivation to reach further than you currently have.

So stay hydrated for certain. I would be consuming about 180 to 220 Calories per hour. Mostly in my bottles I drink from every 10 minutes.

Fueling is what I am working on right now. I have had to turn up the amount of food I eat daily over the past few weeks. That is my biggest challenge right now. As far as elevation gains I am doing rides currently that have the same or greater totals 3-5 times a week so should be good there.

To be on the safe side I added a 30-12 cassette from a 27-11.

Any fueling hints leading up and during for someone with a "weak stomach?". Not terrible but it can be cranky and I have never dealt with that while doing physical activities.
Old 08-16-21, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by wooglins
Fueling is what I am working on right now. I have had to turn up the amount of food I eat daily over the past few weeks. That is my biggest challenge right now. As far as elevation gains I am doing rides currently that have the same or greater totals 3-5 times a week so should be good there.
IMO... Don't eat more just to be eating more. You do need to replace the Calories you may have burned using your glycogen stores on hard efforts you may have had during a ride. But a normal diet that isn't excluding carbs will do you fine for replacing those. The total Calories you burn on a ride is not all from glycogen, a good portion is from fat, so you don't want to be replacing that. Carrying fat with you just means you need more energy to get up those hills.

I tend not to eat much at all before a ride. I'll leave out after having only had a small breakfast 5 hours prior, or if I ride first thing in the morning, I go with nothing. I do make sure I drink 12 to 20 fl. oz. of water before I ride so I don't leave thirsty.

To be on the safe side I added a 30-12 cassette from a 27-11.
I went to Colorado and climbed Mount Evans on my bike last week. I normally ride with a 52/36 front and 11-30 rear. I put a 50/34 front and 11-32 on the rear. I'm glad I did. I might not have made some of the steeper grades without a much lower gear. So I don't think you'll regret the ability to have a lower gear ratio. Even if it's just one very brief part of a hill that ever so briefly kicks up to a grade much steeper than you are use to. While for everyday riding I'd miss the higher ratio 11 gear going down hill, it's not a competition so coasting downhill is fine. Now that I'm back home, the 52/36 and 11-30 are going back on the bike.

Any fueling hints leading up and during for someone with a "weak stomach?". Not terrible but it can be cranky and I have never dealt with that while doing physical activities.
I don't have a weak stomach so I don't know. But don't be trying totally new things the day of your rides.

I put all my nutrition in carbs into my bottles. I drink from them every 10 minutes. Most organized rides have feed stops so you can get water and other drinks, fruit and other foods with carbs. I'll sample some of the foods, but I take my own drink mix, (Hammer Nutrition's, HEED) to put into my bottles and just add water that is available at the stops. Usually two bottles is plenty to carry when you can refill on the way. Otherwise put a bottle in your back jersey pocket or tape bottles to the underside of your top tube and underside of your downtube out of the way of your tire.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-16-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 12:27 PM
wooglins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
IMO... Don't eat more just to be eating more. You do need to replace the Calories you may have burned using your glycogen stores on hard efforts you may have had during a ride. But a normal diet that isn't excluding carbs will do you fine for replacing those. The total Calories you burn on a ride is not all from glycogen, a good portion is from fat, so you don't want to be replacing that. Carrying fat with you just means you need more energy to get up those hills.

I tend not to eat much at all before a ride. I'll leave out after having only had a small breakfast 5 hours prior, or if I ride first thing in the morning, I go with nothing. I do make sure I drink 12 to 20 fl. oz. of water before I ride so I don't leave thirsty.

I went to Colorado and climbed Mount Evans on my bike last week. I normally ride with a 52/36 front and 11-30 rear. I put a 50/34 front and 11-32 on the rear. I'm glad I did. I might not have made some of the steeper grades without a much lower gear. So I don't think you'll regret the ability to have a lower gear ratio. Even if it's just one very brief part of a hill that ever so briefly kicks up to a grade much steeper than you are use to. While for everyday riding I'd miss the higher ratio 11 gear going down hill, it's not a competition so coasting downhill is fine. Now that I'm back home, the 52/36 and 11-30 are going back on the bike.

I don't have a weak stomach so I don't know. But don't be trying totally new things the day of your rides.

I put all my nutrition in carbs into my bottles. I drink from them every 10 minutes. Most organized rides have feed stops so you can get water and other drinks, fruit and other foods with carbs. I'll sample some of the foods, but I take my own drink mix, (Hammer Nutrition's, HEED) to put into my bottles and just add water that is available at the stops. Usually two bottles is plenty to carry when you can refill on the way. Otherwise put a bottle in your back jersey pocket or tape bottles to the underside of your top tube and underside of your downtube out of the way of your tire.
Thanks for the advice. What do you do for the calories lost during a hard ride. For example on Sunday I had a 3 hour ride that burned about 1500 calories. I lost from 220 lbs to 141 lbs now. Not confortable lower than 135.
Old 08-17-21, 12:44 PM
wooglins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost from 220 lbs a few years ago to 141 lbs now. I am not comfortable lower than 135 as clothing becomes difficult to purchase. My challenge is moving that much food. Its alot when your 140 lbs. Daily I am moving 5000 to 6000 calories.
Old 08-17-21, 12:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Thanks for the advice. What do you do for the calories lost during a hard ride. For example on Sunday I had a 3 hour ride that burned about 1500 calories. I lost from 220 lbs to 141 lbs now. Not confortable lower than 135.
If you are at the bottom end of the weight range you wish to be, then you'll have to eat back all the Calories you rode off.

Good for you being at that point. Just eat a sensible diet in the quantity needed to sustain your Caloric expenditures and base metabolism.

Don't try to replace all the Calories you burn off during the actual ride. Your stomach will complain and your performance will suffer. 180 to 250 Calories per hour is about tops for me without feeling queasy in the stomach during a ride. You'll have to figure out what works best for you. I vary my Calorie intake by the level of effort I'm planning to ride and the air temperatures. Even though I might be doing a planned hard ride, high temps will have me keeping the Calories in my bottles lower to keep my stomach from wanting to puke.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-17-21 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-17-21, 01:41 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Fueling is what I am working on right now...

I have kind of a fussy digestive system, maybe a bit of IBS. It's usually not a problem during casual day to day activities, but can flare up when I go for a long run or bike ride (the times I most need it to stay settled). Food is such an individual thing... every body is unique. But here is what works for me.

- Hours and days leading up to a long ride or race: Lots of complex carbs--pastas and breads, maybe pizza.

- Just before I start riding: A banana, some apple juice, or some other good source of simple carbs. (Careful not to overdo it!)

- During the ride: More bananas IF there are fuel stations along the route, but they don't pack or travel well. I like about half a banana every 15 or 20 miles, roughly.

- On the bike, to take in about once every hour: Packets of GU. This stuff is amazing. Lots of flavors, and some of them are really tasty. *Important to drink water with these.* I also sometimes use energy gummies.

- Just after a ride, for recovery and especially if I'm going back out in a few hours for another turn in a relay: Plain bagels with peanut butter and honey. I eat slowly, maybe 20 minutes to consume one whole bagel. I've also heard pickles can help prevent muscle soreness when eaten right after a long workout, it has something to do with the vinegar in them. No idea if there's any validity to this, but I figure it's worth trying.

- Later, for continuing recovery, lots of protein. Cheeseburger, meat loaf, etc.
Old 08-18-21, 07:45 AM
wooglins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice!!!! Lots of good stuff to look into!
Old 09-21-21, 06:31 AM
wooglins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this is it. Plateau to Percy is almost here and we leave on Thursday, September 23rd. The entire bike ride will cover 225 miles.

We will begin in Dunlap, TN, and end in Nashville at Percy Priest Lake. We'll spend four days cycling through the Sequatchie Valley, one of Tennessee's most coveted bicycle riding destinations. The valley floor is filled with rolling hills, rivers, and farmlands. The plateaus boast beautiful views and the vast landscapes of Eastern Tennessee.

We'll complete our ride at Percy Priest Lake in Nashville, TN. Here we'll have a ride completion celebration, as well as hear from some Families for Safe Streets members about the importance of the group and the impact of our fundraising.

Please, please, please consider clicking this link below and donating. I am well short on my fundraising goal.. Your donation will help make the streets of Nashville safer. Thanks to all that have already donated and those that will. Also thanks to everyone that has encouraged me to do this event.

https://www.walkbikenashville.org/20...cy_alanosborne
Old 09-21-21, 07:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Have fun! Looks as if you'll have perfect weather.