Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Using smaller tubes on larger tires

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-26-21, 09:37 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

I just purchased new tires 700x32 and I’m stocked up on inner tubes but they are 700x20-28. Am I going to be more prone to flats bc I’m stretching the tubes more than their actual size?

Has anyone here used to smaller sized tubes on a larger tire?
Old 08-26-21, 10:13 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
works fine, people do it all the time.
Old 08-27-21, 02:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I prefer smaller tubes. It's easier to get them in the tire without popping them if you have tight beads and less chance of pinch flatting when you're riding. They expand more than enough.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-31-21, 11:01 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I prefer smaller tubes. It's easier to get them in the tire without popping them if you have tight beads and less chance of pinch flatting when you're riding. They expand more than enough.
have a question for you since you also have Wabi. I installed the 32s today on my Classic and I having a problem removing my wheels because they won’t clear my brake calipers (tektro) if they are inflated. I have to deflate my tires to remove the wheels. If I can recall correctly you have wider tires on your wabi. Did you also have to deflate your tires to remove your wheels?
Old 09-01-21, 01:42 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
have a question for you since you also have Wabi. I installed the 32s today on my Classic and I having a problem removing my wheels because they won’t clear my brake calipers (tektro) if they are inflated. I have to deflate my tires to remove the wheels. If I can recall correctly you have wider tires on your wabi. Did you also have to deflate your tires to remove your wheels?
The biggest tire I had on it was a Challenge Paris-Roubaix 27mm but they actually measure 30mm. I did have to deflate them a little but it's no big deal. Just deflate them with the fingers of one hand squeezing on the tire and stop deflating when it's even with the rim. You don't have to let all the air out of it. But I didn't think a 32 would even fit, yours must have really tight clearance or your tire runs small.
Old 09-01-21, 09:14 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
The biggest tire I had on it was a Challenge Paris-Roubaix 27mm but they actually measure 30mm. I did have to deflate them a little but it's no big deal. Just deflate them with the fingers of one hand squeezing on the tire and stop deflating when it's even with the rim. You don't have to let all the air out of it. But I didn't think a 32 would even fit, yours must have really tight clearance or your tire runs small.

actually theres plenty of clearance, they just get stuck at the brake caliper when removing them. They measure in 29 at 70/80 psi (gatorskins). It’s my wheels that are narrow because I mounted these exact tires on a H Plus SON wheels and they measure exactly 32 and didn’t fit on my wabi.
Old 09-01-21, 09:16 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
One size smaller tubes are no problem. I have had 2.2" tubes split when airing up in a 4" tire, so that may be a bit much.