Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle LED warning lights recommendations?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle LED warning lights recommendations?

Old 09-09-21, 07:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I like Cygolite

https://cygolite.com

I use the Hypersot 350. I have had a few drivers pull up to me in the mid afternoon and tell how bright it it.

If you are going to get a light a good one. I see many riders using light that you can barely see the light.
I also us the cygolite 350 as my everyday rear light. It's so obnoxiously bight, the group I ride with hates me.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-09-21, 01:25 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Would not ride my bike without my Varia the radar and flashing light when it detects a car is wonderful.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/698001
I have been spoiled by it for the last three weeks. Yesterday on our 30 mile ride, the battery went dead and I was really not happy about that. Now Garmin should consider older riders with hearing deficits. I can hardly hear the beep. And riding with a hearing aid can be torturous in traffic and windy conditions.
Old 09-09-21, 02:27 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
Would not ride my bike without my Varia the radar and flashing light when it detects a car is wonderful.
The Varia light is not bright enough for my purposes. The radar in heavy traffic is questionable as to how you are safer. I will Stick with my Dinotte Daytime Red Tail Light.
Old 09-09-21, 02:47 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I have one of these on each of my bikes. They're pretty slick little lights and they're plenty bright. They mount neatly under the saddle, have multiple flashing options and they work as a brake light as well. I have a couple of the very first versions that I purchased several years ago and they still work great and the battery lasts at least 15 hours if not more.

https://www.amazon.com/Padonow-Smart...%2C223&sr=8-11
Old 09-09-21, 03:06 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by geepondy
I see them on Amazon for dirt cheap
I started with some cheap Amazon lights, they were just that, cheap and unreliable. Also they were not very bright.

The LBS is a Specialized dealer so I use their Stix Switch lights now, white blinking in front and red blinking behind which I run on every ride. Also for night riding I have a 1200 lumen Light&Motion.

Probably there is one of the Amazon lights just as good as the Stix for a couple bucks less but stuff on Amazon is always a crap shoot.

Those daytime-only blinkers look awesome but I do a lot of night riding.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 09-09-21 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 03:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The Varia light is not bright enough for my purposes. The radar in heavy traffic is questionable as to how you are safer. I will Stick with my Dinotte Daytime Red Tail Light.
It probably isnt safer in heavy traffic. In low traffic settings, you are aware of cars approaching and can adjust how you are riding if you feel it necessary(like if 2 lanes become 1 in a short bit ahead due to construction or a curve, etc).
Its fantastic for gravel where the cyclist is continually adjusting their line and that often times means riding in the middle of the road. A visual and audible notification that a car is approaching allows the cyclist time to move to the right and not inconvenience the driver.

The Varia is 65lumens for daytime flash mode. That seems pretty bright.
Old 09-09-21, 04:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
I have a friend who rides in traffic on those long, rural roads where cars can come up un-noticed and suddenly rush by at high speed, and he swears by the Varia---he knows a car is coming in time to move over to ward the edge a bit, or to take the lane if that is the better option---which is dangerous if the car is close and closing fast. He has been riding for many decades and does a lot of miles, and I tend to take his word that ti works. I don't feel I need one at, but it seems it is a useful tool, not a silly gimmick.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-09-21, 05:09 PM
Rick

I have a friend who rides in traffic on those long, rural roads where cars can come up un-noticed and suddenly rush by at high speed, and he swears by the Varia---he knows a car is coming in time to move over to ward the edge a bit, or to take the lane if that is the better option---which is dangerous if the car is close and closing fast. He has been riding for many decades and does a lot of miles, and I tend to take his word that ti works. I don't feel I need one at, but it seems it is a useful tool, not a silly gimmick.
The difference in speed between an overtaking motor vehicle and a bicycle negates the effectiveness of the radar to a great extent. Just where are you going to go when that motor vehicle gains on you so fast. I know they are there without radar and they have good advance notice due to my flashing taillight during the day and my steady dynamo light at night. I suggest getting the brightest most expensive flashing taillight you can afford because the flasher on that radar thing is not near bright enough so inattentive troglodytes on their cell phones can see you when they occasionally look up from their love to see the road. Two years ago one of my silly neighbors spent part of a day in jail. She totaled a parked police cruiser while she was sending a selfie of her her jugs, knockers, buttons etc. To her True love.
Old 09-09-21, 05:33 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
The difference in speed between an overtaking motor vehicle and a bicycle negates the effectiveness of the radar to a great extent. Just where are you going to go when that motor vehicle gains on you so fast. I know they are there without radar and they have good advance notice due to my flashing taillight during the day and my steady dynamo light at night. I suggest getting the brightest most expensive flashing taillight you can afford because the flasher on that radar thing is not near bright enough so inattentive troglodytes on their cell phones can see you when they occasionally look up from their love to see the road. Two years ago one of my silly neighbors spent part of a day in jail. She totaled a parked police cruiser while she was sending a selfie of her her jugs, knockers, buttons etc. To her True love.
So you have a Varia then?
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 09-09-21, 06:03 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It probably isnt safer in heavy traffic. In low traffic settings, you are aware of cars approaching and can adjust how you are riding if you feel it necessary(like if 2 lanes become 1 in a short bit ahead due to construction or a curve, etc).
Its fantastic for gravel where the cyclist is continually adjusting their line and that often times means riding in the middle of the road. A visual and audible notification that a car is approaching allows the cyclist time to move to the right and not inconvenience the driver.

The Varia is 65lumens for daytime flash mode. That seems pretty bright.
I've ridden with many riders who have "radar" to announce the rear approach of cars. Other than the rare circumstance (like passing a slower rider), I've never seen them actually ride any different with the knowledge afforded them. Knowing something without using that knowledge seems pretty pointless.

That's my experience in my area which is central NJ where traffic is a given. There may be other places where the knowledge of vehicles coming from behind could be useful. Around here, just ride assuming there will ALWAYS be cars coming from behind.
Old 09-09-21, 06:07 PM
geepondy

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What do you guys do if your saddle bag gets in the way of mounting a rear light on the seat post? Mine takes up most the seat post. Maybe try one of the roll up ones to compact things more?
Old 09-09-21, 06:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

The difference in speed between an overtaking motor vehicle and a bicycle negates the effectiveness of the radar to a great extent. Just where are you going to go when that motor vehicle gains on you so fast. I know they are there without radar and they have good advance notice due to my flashing taillight during the day and my steady dynamo light at night.
Based on actual experience, I have found value in knowing cars are approaching. Again, its been very helpful on gravel roads, which account for a majority of my solo riding miles.
And again, it's helpful when roads reduce from 2 to 1 lane due to construction or something similar. Just last Friday, I pulled off and let a car pass on a road then dropped to 1 lane due to construction that was probably half a mile long. It was easy to decide- I waved the car past because I knew only 1 car was approaching.

I fully agree that on paved roads, I am not going to go anywhere as the cars approach. I ride straight same as I always have, and trust they will pass. It's nice to know how many are approaching though, without having to look back or use a goofy mirror.

Originally Posted by fujidon
I've ridden with many riders who have "radar" to announce the rear approach of cars. Other than the rare circumstance (like passing a slower rider), I've never seen them actually ride any different with the knowledge afforded them. Knowing something without using that knowledge seems pretty pointless.

That's my experience in my area which is central NJ where traffic is a given. There may be other places where the knowledge of vehicles coming from behind could be useful. Around here, just ride assuming there will ALWAYS be cars coming from behind.
Yes, on paved roads I do nothing different 99.8% of the time. I just ride straight the vehicles pass me.
On gravel roads, it helps to know I should move over since I often ride in the middle of the road for the best line.
I also ride with teens a few times a week for 4 months of the year and I like being able to call out 'car back' to the groups so they all know to move to the right if they are riding 2x(because they are teens and continually do that).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-09-21, 06:21 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Lights are the primary safety tool we have, next to learning to ride safely, and their importance can not be understated. I suggest a minimum of three lights, one flasher on front and two reds on back, preferably one lower rear close to the seat and one higher like in the pocket of your helmet. I like the blinkers from Bontrager as they are small but powerful and one larger rear tail light.
Old 09-09-21, 06:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
here is a great site or comparing lights>

https://bicycles.blogoverflow.com/20...-light-review/

or updated > https://bikelightdatabase.com/

things that will seem more important than brightness after you buy your lights:

battery or USB/Lithium? plugging in a charging cable is less hassle than disassembly/and or charging batteries

Have to disagree on this one point. I replace the batteries on my Planet Bike rear flasher once every three years. I find having to remember to plug in to charge my lights and cycle computer a bit of a PITA when properly designed products may require a battery change once a year or less. Otherwise very good points.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-21, 06:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Bet you did not see this coming since you made an emphatic blanket statement I do have rear radar and use it constantly to make sure I am out of the line of fire. In my area, the rural two lane roads are so beat to death and cracked, the only smooth surface are the centers of the lane you are riding in. The radar tells me well in advance when to move over into the cruddy shoulder. A couple of locals do this as well and probably a few more I don’t know. Sure beats head checks every 15 seconds.

Relying on technology too much? I also listen with my ears and still do occasional head checks.

Radar also alerts me to the number of vehicles approaching and their relative speed which comes in handy. It is so sensitive it picks up overtaking cyclists.

Ask the many radar users on this forum who swear by the technology and I believe they will be happy to sing its praises.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-21, 06:58 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
What do you guys do if your saddle bag gets in the way of mounting a rear light on the seat post? Mine takes up most the seat post. Maybe try one of the roll up ones to compact things more?
For some frames / lights, mounting on a seatstay is a possibility.
Old 09-09-21, 08:20 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I am one of those ten essential hikers and carried it over to biking. I have a rear rack (shame!) and attached the light to it. Most recently the above discussed Varia. I altered the Garmin attachment mount to slot over the rack.
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-09-21, 08:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A lot of wedge bags have a loop that you can use to hook a light.
Or rubber band style lights can be hooked onto seat stays.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-09-21, 09:12 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I am one of those ten essential hikers and carried it over to biking. I have a rear rack (shame!) and attached the light to it. Most recently the above discussed Varia. I altered the Garmin attachment mount to slot over the rack.
My Magicshine light included a mount to snap onto seat rails, and that was the best way I could come up with to get the light on the rear rack.

I also made a bracket to independently mount a pair of CatEye reflectors.

Likes For John Valuk:
Old 09-09-21, 10:34 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
in my area which is central NJ where traffic is a given. There may be other places where the knowledge of vehicles coming from behind could be useful. Around here, just ride assuming there will ALWAYS be cars coming from behind.
You make a good point that folks all ride in different environments, so we need be careful not to assume others are experiencing the same conditions.

If I’m riding in the Atlanta metro area, traffic is similarly a given. Not sure I’d see a point in radar since there’s a car coming more often than not.

Yet when I’m riding northeast GA rural paved and gravel roads, I might not see a car for several miles. Add various surface defects and there’s times/reasons to take the lane sometimes. So it’s helpful to be aware when someone is approaching. So far I’m using a mirror but have been considering the Varia.

still, nothings a panacea.
Old 09-09-21, 11:42 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Rick what kind of Planet Bike rear light do you have that only needs a battery every three years? i would gladly switch over to that because yes, i have enuff stuff to charge already, the desk looks like a Pac Bell switch board.

your ears are you best weapon for cars coming up behind you.
if you commute long distance in heavy traffic in close quarters, you will develop a 6th sense as to what is happening behind you.
since we have 2 ears, we get a 3D sonic plot of what is going on.

the most sickening thing you can hear is somebody coming up directly behind you. that means if you do not hop up on the curb or dive for the brush, then you are about to get hit. hearing a sleepy driver jump the curb up onto the sidewalk and then wake up and then jump back in the lane is quite a treat, let me tell you.

but when you number comes up, it comes up, try as you may to be safe. there was a cop who fell asleep on a country road, drifted across the lane, and killed three cyclists. if you can't trust the cops , then who can you trust?
Old 09-10-21, 01:13 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,664 Posts
not to hijack the original thread but have the varia radar without the accompanying blinky light. swear by it. handiest (imho) when doing longish descents.
would still rock the dinotte as well.
Old 09-10-21, 04:50 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Bet you did not see this coming since you made an emphatic blanket statement I do have rear radar and use it constantly to make sure I am out of the line of fire. In my area, the rural two lane roads are so beat to death and cracked, the only smooth surface are the centers of the lane you are riding in. The radar tells me well in advance when to move over into the cruddy shoulder. A couple of locals do this as well and probably a few more I don’t know. Sure beats head checks every 15 seconds.

Relying on technology too much? I also listen with my ears and still do occasional head checks.

Radar also alerts me to the number of vehicles approaching and their relative speed which comes in handy. It is so sensitive it picks up overtaking cyclists.

Ask the many radar users on this forum who swear by the technology and I believe they will be happy to sing its praises.
I related my experience, you related yours. Not everyone has the same experience.
Old 09-10-21, 06:15 AM
Rick

So you have a Varia then?
The Varia has a range of less than 500 yards, My Dinotte Day Time Light can be seen from over 1 mile away. My Dino taillight after dark works the same. The battery on my Dinotte Day Time Light is good for 35 hours between charges. I'm not saying radar isn't any good. I don't believe it is a good application of the technology. They need to do better on range, battery life and sensors before they can interest somebody like me.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-10-21, 06:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
As for the light on the Varia not being bright enough---get a freaking tail light. It is a radar unit. it's primary function is radar.

Though some person said the tail light is 65 lumens which ir quite bright for a tail light.

As far as radar not being useful in every situation ..... bikes are not useful in every situation, yet still we ride. Helmets are only useful when we crash, yet so many wear helmets.

Radar is good on roads where cars come fast, like narrow rural roads, and where cyclists are often Not in bike lanes because bike lanes don't exist. I can hear a car a long way off, but I can also get confused by wind, and if a car passes in the other lane can mask a car closing from behind. Nothing gets dangerously close without me noticing, but I can see where radar could give people a lot more warning.

The fact that apparently rational people posting here (does that taste faintly of oxymoron?) use it and can explain its benefits to their riding style tells me that it is not a worthless product. If it is not a universally necessary product, that doesn't mean it is useless. Some people just love to hate. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it. Problem solved---at least the surface problem.

Like I said, I know a guy who rode for decades without it and who now swears by it .... and unlike some posters here, most of whom I do not know except by their posts here and whom, judging from some posts here, I would not trust much in face-to-face encounters, I know this guy well enough to know that he seriously finds value .... he rides pretty much every day, and he doesn't mess around.

On the other hand, despite his endorsement, I have never seen fit to buy radar. That says nothing about the product and is purely personal preference.

As for depending too much on technology ... can people please point me to the bicycle tree, where I can pick a fresh, natural bicycle? Do I have to go the the carbon-fiber bush to get a fork? Does anyone grow disc-brake plants in their gardens?

We are talking about electric lights, and people are talking about a very complicated light being too much tech, as if a rechargeable lithium/ion electronic light device is absolutely natural.

Can I get a chorus of "Whatever!"?
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.