Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New helmet design with LED lighting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New helmet design with LED lighting

Old 09-12-21, 02:37 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
My first consideration in buying a helmet is preventing head trauma, so I would have to be sure that is not compromised. If the "best" helmet offered a light option... sure, I'd consider it. But there are plenty of clip on options available, so here's a subsidiary question: does clipping an auxiliary light to your helmet compromise protection from trauma? Or do the come off easily enough to not be a factor?
Old 09-13-21, 12:38 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 900 Posts
My issue with integrated helmet lights is they're expensive, and when you use it (i.e. impact) or drop it, what do you do with the lights and all that wiring? E-waste?

I really like those light-up pedals, though.
Old 09-22-21, 08:53 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Late to the party.

(seeing the OP never post any other message, it could be it's just a sneaky advertiser, or he got turned off by the hostile welcome...)

I saw one the other day, on a rider's head. As she stopped, I asked to see and hold it. It's no heavier than an average helmet. So apart from the cost, I see no downside.

The beauty of helmet light is, for those of us having multiple bikes (but typically not multiple helmets), there's no need to equip all the bikes with lights, or having to remember to move the lights around. Currently, I have a clip-on light. But I don't always bother to put it on. Having a helmet light would eliminate that step for good.

So no, I think it's a good idea, far from gimmicky. And the product I saw was good execution too.

Granted, I'll have to try those helmet on to see if any will fit me.
Likes For atnyc: