Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava = motivate you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava = motivate you?

Old 09-10-21, 07:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,365 Times in 2,797 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I've always used Garmin connect to track miles and rides, like always. So what am I missing not doing strava and would it upload from a garmin device?
Just read the post above yours to see what you are missing - if improvement means anything. And you can download maps created on Strava to your Garmin. Strava’s create a map function is fantastic.

Old 09-10-21, 08:05 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I'm not motivated by anything with Strava but I do like it for keeping track of my rides and being able to see the mileage I put on each of my bikes.

I don't think it's available on the mobile version, but when using computer I can access "My Gear" which is cool. Clicking on each bike I can make note of components I swap out...add a new one and "retire" the old one. It's cool to see the amount of miles on each component (as long as you include the dates you used each component) like saddles, tires, and brake pads.
Likes For rumstove:
Old 09-10-21, 08:05 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I find chasing PBs on more popular local climbs and chasing the odd KOM where feasible to be motivating, myself. Helps step on the gas in training, sometimes, or as a test of where I am fitness wise. Local legends I don't care much about, but don't have a problem with.
​​​
I've met quite a few local cyclists over Strava when I began riding, too. I like that social aspect of it.
​​​​​​
​​​​​Plus, it's a decent platform for keeping track of my training, all my metrics, power, mileage on bikes and components, and keeps an easily searched record of everything I do. Really a big fan of it on the whole.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-10-21, 08:16 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Strava Local Legends and KOMs don't motivate me, though I find them interesting and I look at them occasionally. What I do find motivating on Strava are the local riders I follow. There's a small but supportive scene and that's more motivating to me.
Likes For guachi:
Old 09-11-21, 12:11 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 323 Posts
I find no motivation in the Strava Local Loser stats, but I do hunt the odd KOM or three. 😎

More motivating for me is tracking my own mileage and/or time in the saddle, then ensuring I stay on target. Seeing friends post their rides is good motivation also.

Strava is what you make of it.
Old 09-11-21, 04:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Strava is motivational for me, and I think the platform is all around awesome.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-11-21, 06:30 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
There are many things that motivate me to ride faster and more frequently.
Strava is not one of them.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-11-21, 06:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
You mean having some outside application is supposed to motivate me to ride my bike with more effort?

Gosh, I thought I was in charge of my own health and fitness.
Guess I will have to join Strava to get some outside affirmation to coax me to the next level whatever that is?
Old 09-11-21, 06:59 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Strava legends stuff i find fun. To be the local legend on a favorite ride or segment i find exciting.
hope to take back title today....
STRAVA brings out the worst in me (brought out the worst). I switched to RWGPS (Ride With GPS). One good fried is following me. I can't figure out the fly-by stuff. I get "kudos" from my one friend, like every other month.
It's much better. Makes me less insane.

ciao!
Old 09-12-21, 04:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I use Strava to track my fitness. At age 75 I like to see if I'm declining with age. I also use it to keep track of friends to see how and what they're doing.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-12-21, 05:41 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
You mean having some outside application is supposed to motivate me to ride my bike with more effort?.................................................
Not effort for intensity but rather for ingenuity of possible design results.

Originally Posted by bruce19
I use Strava to track my fitness. At age 75 I like to see if I'm declining with age. I also use it to keep track of friends to see how and what they're doing.
Age FITNESS (71) is definitely declining along with body's structural integrity with joint function and added to it all is effects of Prostate cancer's treatment.

STRAVA is fun for me to explore designs >>>

https://www.strava.com/activities/5947594052
Old 09-12-21, 06:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Age FITNESS (71) is definitely declining along with body's structural integrity with joint function and added to it all is effects of Prostate cancer's treatment.

STRAVA is fun for me to explore designs >>>

https://www.strava.com/activities/5947594052
Nice. I've actually had some segment improvements. Mostly due to different strategies, technique and a change from 50/34 to 52/36 on my CAAD 12. FWIW both crank sets run with a 11x28 cassette. This is one of those things I love about cycling....there's always something new that I learn on a ride. Strava helps by giving me stats I can track.
Old 09-12-21, 06:29 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
No phone, no strava
Old 09-12-21, 06:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
No phone, no strava
You don’t need a phone for Strava. You obviously have internet, so you could be involved right now.
Old 09-12-21, 06:48 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You don’t need a phone for Strava. You obviously have internet, so you could be involved right now.
I dont know how strava works tbh.
Old 09-12-21, 06:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
I dont know how strava works tbh.
All the more reason you should point your browser to https://www.strava.com.
Old 09-12-21, 06:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
You mean having some outside application is supposed to motivate me to ride my bike with more effort?

Gosh, I thought I was in charge of my own health and fitness.
Guess I will have to join Strava to get some outside affirmation to coax me to the next level whatever that is?
This post reads very much like that of someone who doesn't know what Strava is or what it does.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-12-21, 08:14 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
If you read their terms of service it might motivate you not to use Strava.
Old 09-12-21, 10:48 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 245 Posts
I don't want Strava to motivate me. I have a competitive nature that will emerge and destroy all fun from any activity. I don't actually even need motivation to ride one of my bikes. What I need is a grass mowing Stava, or a dish washing Strava. I need a Strava for those things I have to do, not the thing I love to do. If you are just using cycling as an exercise, I think you are doing it wrong.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-12-21, 11:15 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I don't want Strava to motivate me. I have a competitive nature that will emerge and destroy all fun from any activity. I don't actually even need motivation to ride one of my bikes. What I need is a grass mowing Stava, or a dish washing Strava. I need a Strava for those things I have to do, not the thing I love to do. If you are just using cycling as an exercise, I think you are doing it wrong.
I have seen "grass mowing recordings" on STRAVA and it is humorous to see a large lot that is mowed with a WALK BEHIND instead of a riding mower.

Originally Posted by TX_master
If you read their terms of service it might motivate you not to use Strava.
Not much with the "Terms" for Basic that bothers me.
Old 09-12-21, 11:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by WhyFi
This post reads very much like that of someone who doesn't know what Strava is or what it does.
I have found that people who object to something the most loudly are USUALLY those who do not have direct experience with that something. As Spock would say, I find that highly illogical Captain. But I am not without sin, at least in my heart…

When mobile phones first appeared and later smart phones, I couldn’t imagine why people would use their phones for anything other than making calls, but didn’t go out of my way to say how ridiculous I thought they were. Then I got a smart phone, and now can’t image life with just a basic phone-only phone. I learned.

I don’t need Strava to motivate me to ride, far from it, since I really enjoy it. I find that it enhances my riding by motivating me to improve. For those happy with their present level, I’m totally cool with that too.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-12-21 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-12-21, 11:44 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Just got home from a ride. I got a new PR on one segment and a KOM on another. Would I have pushed that hard if they were merely “just plain old sections of road?” Probably not. Did I blast those two segments today because I knew about them from Strava? You betchersaddlesore I did! Does Strava motivate me?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-12-21, 12:10 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I find chasing PBs on more popular local climbs and chasing the odd KOM where feasible to be motivating, myself. Helps step on the gas in training, sometimes, or as a test of where I am fitness wise. Local legends I don't care much about, but don't have a problem with.
​​​
I've met quite a few local cyclists over Strava when I began riding, too. I like that social aspect of it.
​​​​​​
​​​​​Plus, it's a decent platform for keeping track of my training, all my metrics, power, mileage on bikes and components, and keeps an easily searched record of everything I do. Really a big fan of it on the whole.
I'm very similar. I like to see where I match up with similar riders, and like to better my times on certain segments, and occasionally get a best time in my group. Every once in awhile I get a time that's somewhat respectable in the overall leader board for a segment, which is fun.
Old 09-12-21, 12:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Full disclosure though - some of my most outstanding PRs are done with the aid of hellacious tail-winds. Feels like cheating but a win is still a win.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-12-21, 01:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Full disclosure though - some of my most outstanding PRs are done with the aid of hellacious tail-winds. Feels like cheating but a win is still a win.
The top of any segment leaderboard that's been around for a while, in an area with a decent number of cyclists, is going to be like that - tail winds, group rides, group rides with tail winds...
Likes For WhyFi:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.