Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava = motivate you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava = motivate you?

Old 09-13-21, 09:17 AM
TX_master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sure. So what about the bolded part should concern us? That they're going to turn sweaty selfies of my handsome mug in to the face of Strava and that I'll not be compensated?
I didn't say anybody should be concerned. What I originally said was that if people read the TOS they might be motivated not to use it. So if you don't care you don't care. These are individual decisions. I'm sure it's possible that many people have signed up for Strava w/out bothering to read the TOS. I could get what I need stats-wise from Strava, but I can also get them through means where I don't have to grant those types of rights so that's what I choose to do.
Old 09-13-21, 09:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
I didn't say anybody should be concerned. What I originally said was that if people read the TOS they might be motivated not to use it.
What I'm getting here is that you didn't read the TOS previously, made the comment, looked for anything remotely bold-worthy when called on it, and now you're feeling fortunate to be able to lean on your use of a wishy-washy word in your attempt to disseminate FUD.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-13-21, 09:41 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
What I'm getting here is that you didn't read the TOS previously, made the comment, looked for anything remotely bold-worthy when called on it, and now you're feeling fortunate to be able to lean on your use of a wishy-washy word in your attempt to disseminate FUD.
That's quite a reach. Good luck.
Old 09-13-21, 09:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
There's that part too - "I haven't ridden there, wonder what's there". The only misgiving I have is that Strava isn't very good at telling you about the road surface, and that's how you ended up doing 15km of gravel on a road bike once.
Thar’s my sole complaint - no differentiation between pavement, gravel or even MTB single tracks. It would take some sophisticated AI to look at the earth view of the maps and color code each of them to be recognizable. Google maps has lead me a number of times to roads that don’t exist or across private property.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-13-21, 09:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
that’s my personal heatmap … the couple times i’ve ridden it i haven’t actually seen anyone else riding it. it’s definitely not the most pleasant of bridge rides! great that it exists tho.
Nice! I'm now even more impressed. And, apropos of the OP's original question, I'm now motivated to ride it myself.
Old 09-13-21, 10:14 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TX_master
That's quite a reach. Good luck.
It's a more simple explanation than someone actually being concerned about not being compensated because their name, likeness or photos snapped on bike rides would be used by Strava. *shrug*
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-13-21, 10:39 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
all of y'all who are concerned about strava having acces/rights to your ride data must be using it for something very different than i am. i store my adult images (in fact, all my images!) elsewhere, and when i commit serious crimes by bicycle i make sure not to upload the getaway ride or pictures of the bodies.

if strava wants to make crow about my GPS tracks, comments, or give the data to the FBI, it worries me not at all.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-13-21, 10:42 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by caloso
Nice! I'm now even more impressed. And, apropos of the OP's original question, I'm now motivated to ride it myself.
i've found the heatmap is much more informative looking if you tweak the colors in photoshop to create a bigger contrast between the most frequently ridden stretches and the less frequently ridden. in the case of mine (which is about 5 months of rides), the bright yellow over the bridge is probably 40 trips each direction, the oranges are 20-25, reds in the 10-15 and purples anything down to 1. i wish they had a more robust way to edit their heat colors!
Old 09-13-21, 10:59 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Strava and GarminConnect sort of make me feel like I'm playing T-ball. Everyone gets a trophy.
That’s how I feel too. Every ride, it comes back with PR on this .2 mile segment, 2nd place on four segments, 3rd place on two segments.

I don’t even care how fast I did all these little things compared to my previous times. I kind of care how I did on an entire 30 mile ride.

I didn’t use Strava for years and recently started to again, just because I like being able to connect with friends. Like if someone forgets his computer or the battery dies, we can add him to the ride afterward. When a new guy shows up to ride with us, I can go back and see who he was, etc. But the workout review/analysis doesn’t motivate me at all.
Old 09-13-21, 11:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
I like PR's on segments that take some effort. Otoh, "322 from Elks to Boalsburg" is one I keep setting and that's flat to downhill and I really don't care.
Old 09-13-21, 01:13 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I like PR's on segments that take some effort. Otoh, "322 from Elks to Boalsburg" is one I keep setting and that's flat to downhill and I really don't care.
yeah. and people make some incredibly short segments, which if you ride in an urban area can number into the hundreds. luckily you can hide them, but still, lots of clicks to hide 50 segments each less than a block long.
Old 09-13-21, 02:04 PM
Qhenn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Local legends

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Strava legends stuff i find fun. To be the local legend on a favorite ride or segment i find exciting.
hope to take back title today....

the local legend titles are mostly a function of having segments near your home so you naturally ride them more than others would. You can always pick you favorite and just go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and … You can see just how exciting that would be.
Likes For Qhenn:
Old 09-13-21, 03:34 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I love Strava because I love data, statistics, and analyzing them. When you have lived in the same place for nearly 40 years riding around town gets quite boring. Segments make riding more interesting and going for KOMs encourages me to go all out and push my boundaries when I otherwise wouldn't. The monthly challenges also gets me cycling more days of the week. All of my rides are solo so it is nice having others to benchmark against as well as myself. It is convenient having one location to store data for all all of my bicycles since only two of them have computers on them.
Likes For devianb:
Old 09-15-21, 09:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
I had a crazy idea a while back that would make "local legends" more adversarial and gamify it a bit. Feed KOM's and QOM's into "kingdoms" instead of "local legends".

My idea:
-each segment gets a strength based on database values such as: number of attempts, number of different attempters, uphill, grade, distance........etc...
-your result and participation on each segment computes a score based on the segment strength and your placement
-then, your segment scores are aggregated geographically into "kingdoms"
-Minimum kingdom size is something like a square mile, some kingdoms may be larger but harder to defend and easier to lose.....etc...
-If you aren't the king/queen on the map, you become a citizen with chess player terminology as your standing in the kingdom: pawn, rook, knight, bishop.......and maybe some others........

So, you could be king or queen of an area by scoring lots of tries on lots of segments without bagging outright KOMs on any of them. Don't ride much and score lots of KOMs? Maybe you can still have a good kingdom.

I'm done.......just silly silly thoughts.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-15-21, 09:30 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I had a crazy idea a while back that would make "local legends" more adversarial and gamify it a bit. Feed KOM's and QOM's into "kingdoms" instead of "local legends".

My idea:
-each segment gets a strength based on database values such as: number of attempts, number of different attempters, uphill, grade, distance........etc...
-your result and participation on each segment computes a score based on the segment strength and your placement
-then, your segment scores are aggregated geographically into "kingdoms"
-Minimum kingdom size is something like a square mile, some kingdoms may be larger but harder to defend and easier to lose.....etc...
-If you aren't the king/queen on the map, you become a citizen with chess player terminology as your standing in the kingdom: pawn, rook, knight, bishop.......and maybe some others........

So, you could be king or queen of an area by scoring lots of tries on lots of segments without bagging outright KOMs on any of them. Don't ride much and score lots of KOMs? Maybe you can still have a good kingdom.

I'm done.......just silly silly thoughts.
i love this idea.

https://developers.strava.com/

pretty easy to fool around with the API on swagger and see how much of the segment data that you’d need is available.

the geographic logic might be a little tough, i’d make them based on a range of “segment attempts” on qualifying segments, but also try and prioritize getting a single marquee segment (the castle!) in each kingdom. so, for example, in the segment which includes twin peaks in san francisco, the ascent up to the top of the hill has some special significance in becoming king or queen, and the rider or “team” (a collection of riders, one queen, one king, pawns, etc) which holds it has a special status in the kingdom… maybe they get to name it, post at the top of a blog, etc.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-15-21, 10:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
i'd like it if the segments were scored not only by time but also by wind direction and amount of riding a rider has done prior to the segment. and possibly by the number of traffic lights. segments shouldn't contain traffic lights though, who makes these things?
Old 09-15-21, 10:24 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by spelger
i'd like it if the segments were scored not only by time but also by wind direction and amount of riding a rider has done prior to the segment.
Never gonna happen and never should happen.

Originally Posted by spelger
segments shouldn't contain traffic lights though, who makes these things?
Segments with lights are pretty dumb.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-15-21, 10:38 AM
mschwett 

Segments with lights are pretty dumb.
i dunno, 95% of the segments i ride and track my progress on have lights. occasionally the results are skewed by a really bad timing day or a really good one, not sure what the alternative is in urban areas, no segments? 300’ long segments? lol.
Old 09-15-21, 11:29 AM
WhyFi

i dunno, 95% of the segments i ride and track my progress on have lights. occasionally the results are skewed by a really bad timing day or a really good one, not sure what the alternative is in urban areas, no segments? 300’ long segments? lol.
I know how it goes - I've lived in nothing but urban areas and that's exactly why I think segments with lights are dumb. How accurately are you really tracking progress on a segment unless you're going to drill down so that you can compare it to runs where you didn't hit this light or that light? If you want good segments that are longer, get out of the city - the riding's better out there, anyway.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-15-21, 11:33 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
For sure. How many KOMs are stomped out into a direct 15+mph headwind? Precious few, I'm guessing.
If you view only today's segment results, you can see who rode the fastest into today's brutal headwind. Sadly, those results won't be visible tomorrow.
Likes For EviLDORK:
Old 09-15-21, 11:42 AM
mschwett 

I know how it goes - I've lived in nothing but urban areas and that's exactly why I think segments with lights are dumb. How accurately are you really tracking progress on a segment unless you're going to drill down so that you can compare it to runs where you didn't hit this light or that light? If you want good segments that are longer, get out of the city - the riding's better out there, anyway.
i like the variety; there's a few segments i do with a bunch of lights and the timing / acceleration / luck is just part of the game. a different kind of training than the long light-free ones of course, and maybe my perception is skewed by the fact that our lights are very, very short. biking in suburban areas with 30+ second traffic cycles is pretty infuriating for me, so i hear you.
Old 09-15-21, 12:05 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by EviLDORK
If you view only today's segment results, you can see who rode the fastest into today's brutal headwind. Sadly, those results won't be visible tomorrow.
oh that's awesome, i never tried that. i wish the wind speed recorded by strava as part of the basic ride data was even vaguely close to correct.
Old 09-15-21, 12:40 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
oh that's awesome, i never tried that. i wish the wind speed recorded by strava as part of the basic ride data was even vaguely close to correct.
True story right there. Ever notice that every time Strava says the winds were calm there was a monstrous headwind the whole time you were riding?
Old 09-15-21, 12:55 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
True story right there. Ever notice that every time Strava says the winds were calm there was a monstrous headwind the whole time you were riding?
and somehow, every time i do a loop the wind is traveling in a loop in the opposite direction!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-15-21, 01:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Never gonna happen and never should happen.

while i agree with your first assertion, can you explain the second?

maybe i have not been riding or using strava long enough to see the faults in considering other factors aside from speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.