Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava = motivate you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava = motivate you?

Old 09-16-21, 05:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Unless your bike computer is a GPS unit, I would expect that the Strava reading is more accurate and that your wheel calibration is off, or your start/stop speed is rather generous, etc.
Just purchased a Garmin, which will tell the tale. Appreciate your reply.

BUT, that means I’m not as fast as I think I am? Now I don’t know if I appreciate your reply

Old 09-17-21, 06:59 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
To answer the question posed in the title. Piss off.
I get ya, Rolla; you just answered the title question.

Some people don't even want to measure their 'performance', or maybe they don't have a fancy smart phone or GPS unit, one of the other of which is a requirement to use Strava. I wrote that it doesn't motivate me, but in a way it does. There are a few segments that I use to gauge my personal fitness, and I like to keep track of those just for myself, not to compare myself to others. There are so many other segments out there, sometimes I'm amazed that someone thought to create them all, most of them on stretches where I'm happy to just hang with the group and talk.
Old 09-17-21, 07:08 AM
jack forman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it ain't on Strava.... it didn't happen.
Old 09-17-21, 01:14 PM
A632

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Nothing on Strava motivates me. I just use it to keep track of daily mileage, yearly mileage and mileage on each bike I own.
Totally agree, I use it for the same reason.
Old 09-17-21, 04:42 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,591 Times in 924 Posts
Quit using Strava for commuting. Before that earned some weird local legends. Mostly one mile segments on flat roads that are pretty boring.

Now I use Strava for mapping my recreational rides. Most of them. Like to look at the maps. And if anybody else shares, their nearby rides too.

As to tracking I use a cheap bike computer and spreadsheet. Strava always reports more miles than the bike computer. I measure the wheel once a year or so. Trust my bike computer most of the time.
Old 09-17-21, 06:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
I like Strava for keeping track of my mileage both for running and cycling. I've tried quite unsuccessfully to disable the live segments feature because while I'm out trying to just enjoy my time one the bike, the live segment will pop up on my Garmin. This makes me try to push harder than I want to PR the segment. While an argument can be made that is motivation, it really is more of a distraction. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised to find after I review my ride that I PRed a segment than be pressured by electronics to beat a goal I don't care about.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-18-21, 08:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I disabled live segments too. I would be doing an interval set and trying to concentrate on it, when it would pop up telling me I’m on a segment that I created. Really annoying.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-18-21, 09:04 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I leave my Garmin on the map display most of the time when riding in the city. I found having segments displayed was distracting / cluttering so I turned that off right away. I really wish the Garmin cycling computers could display the upcoming street name while on data pages instead of only the map. Its been years since my eyes have been good enough to read street signs.
Old 09-19-21, 07:00 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Strava is a good motivator for me because I use some segments sort of like time trials. It’s also fun trying to take segment KOMs that are within reach.

Strava offers a nice way for me to log data, activities, photos, mileage, etc.

Different strokes for different folks.
Likes For mikeymichaels:
Old 09-20-21, 03:14 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 222 Posts
I'm not interested in Strava. I have friends who have it and they like it but it doesn't really interest me at all. I don't feel the need to compare myself with others. I did plenty of that back in college running track and XC.
Old 09-20-21, 03:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I don't feel the need to compare myself with others.
Many have Strava to compare themselves with... themselves.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-20-21, 04:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Local Legend is motivation to find a fresh route.
Old 09-20-21, 04:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Many have Strava to compare themselves with... themselves.
I don't compete with known cheaters.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-20-21, 11:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I get ya, Rolla; you just answered the title question..
The question was directed to Strava users, not non-users. No where was it asked, Why don’t you use Strava or Why wouldn’t you consider using Strava?

If someone posted, Do you enjoy flying a 747? And I never flew a 747, why would I even bother responding? Would it make sense for me to say, I always get sick on 747s, so I would never consider one. Same thing here. He ‘answered’ a question that was never asked or even implied and then got pissy about being called out for his misplaced whininess.

It’s your right to endorse this kind of behavior but I sure won’t.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-21-21, 12:37 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I find Strava provides me with a lot of motivation - I am a KOM-hunter, no denying it. The different segments help me push harder during training; I'm generally lazy otherwise. I often like to go for a segment nearer the end of a training session. For some segments there is great local rivalry, others are from Pro's who race here that are fun to go for.

Strava is relatively new to me, having returned to cycling at 50, 2 years ago, I only discovered it then. I now have over 250 KOM's but that doesn't mean I'm going to win my first post-Covid race this weekend; while I'm a pretty decent sprinter, there are plenty of very strong riders who have relatively unimpressive-looking Strava rides who win races. For all KOM-hunting is fun, it doesn't mean the guy's with the most are the strongest - too many variables involved in those segments and the only true measure is an actual race. Still, the segments are a nice motivation tool to push harder for some and to measure improvements.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-21-21, 02:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
..............I just don't need electronic software to motivate me to go for a bike ride.

Hear yah loud and clear. It's possible to use electronics to facilitate rather than motivate.

Sept. FULL MOOM was last night at 7:54PM so using STRAVA as a record keeper, I headed out at 7:54PM and managed a controlled yet tiring 43.34 palindrome miler.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5994305361

STRAVA provides a visual recording that I use to compliment my Prostate Cancer TREATMENT. Maintaining an upbeat attitude is as important as the medicines used in treatment. Making the most out of local riding can be addictive and fun.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-21-21, 03:24 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Bikes: Bianchi Liquigas Via Nirone

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can say that Strava is useful as you can track the time of segments and see if you are improving. For example, improving your time on a climb near home feels awesome. In a way, it is similar to riding with friends and seeing who reaches the top first. Not everyone has friends that like cycling. So, I can say that it motivates me. It is also important to remember that the weather conditions affect your time. But any other app with the same functions will do the same.
Old 09-21-21, 10:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
36 feet of climbing in 43 miles! Inconceivable!

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Sept. FULL MOOM was last night at 7:54PM so using STRAVA as a record keeper, I headed out at 7:54PM and managed a controlled yet tiring 43.34 palindrome miler.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5994305361
Likes For tomato coupe: