Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Use the Large Front Chainring/Large Rear Cog Combination?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do You Use the Large Front Chainring/Large Rear Cog Combination?
Yes
46.79%
No
53.21%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Use the Large Front Chainring/Large Rear Cog Combination?

Old 09-11-21, 09:57 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't see any point with a double chainring. Once I'm on the 3rd largest rear gear I then drop to the small chainring if I want a lower gear.
I have a triple but...huh?
Old 09-11-21, 10:11 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
.....briefly, from time to time. My drivetrains are tuned up to access all available gear combinations without incident. Also, I would rather access big/big than small/small combo.
Old 09-11-21, 10:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I do a fair amount. For modern drive trains it is a non issue.

If the mechanic is recommending against putting on a freewheel (is there a 12-21 cassette?) with a chain that is too short for big/big then he has a point,

but not the point you are asking about.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 09-11-21, 10:27 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If Di2 allows it, it must be ok (once in a while).
When the electronic shift systems were first coming out I attended a seminar given by 1 of the manufacturers on setting up their system. One of the attendees asked why the system wasn't smart enough to prohibit the use of forbidden combinations like the big-big or small-small. The instructor laughed and said simply that there are no forbidden combinations. When pressed he said that there were actually other combinations that had higher losses and/or wore the drivetrain worse than the big-big or small-small, but they saw less than a 1 watt and less than 1% difference in wear from the best to the worst combinations. So the simple answer was to use them all.

Funny thing is sometime later they came out with a software update that would prevent the big-big and small-small from being used. Must have been due to everyone "knowing" that these combinations shouldn't be used.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 09-12-21, 02:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I have a triple but...huh?
So what? I was talking about a double. What's a triple got to do with my post? Haven't run one of those in 20 years.
Old 09-12-21, 06:41 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Well, since most of my bikes have only one chain ring I could answer yes or no depending on my perspective at the time. On my bikes with double chain rings - no, almost never. One bike has half-step gearing so perhaps I did on that one but can't remember. I did it on my trike (with triple) once unintentionally and it bound up tight.
Old 09-12-21, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

I think this poll will be skewed by those using a 1x setup voting yes where the question is really irrelevant for them.
Old 09-12-21, 08:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
When the electronic shift systems were first coming out I attended a seminar given by 1 of the manufacturers on setting up their system. One of the attendees asked why the system wasn't smart enough to prohibit the use of forbidden combinations like the big-big or small-small. The instructor laughed and said simply that there are no forbidden combinations. When pressed he said that there were actually other combinations that had higher losses and/or wore the drivetrain worse than the big-big or small-small, but they saw less than a 1 watt and less than 1% difference in wear from the best to the worst combinations. So the simple answer was to use them all.

Funny thing is sometime later they came out with a software update that would prevent the big-big and small-small from being used. Must have been due to everyone "knowing" that these combinations shouldn't be used.
We puritan Americans don't feel right unless something is forbidden...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-12-21, 08:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
For the owners of recent Shimano groupsets, this poll is essentially, "Do you know what the Trim position is and have you properly adjusted it?"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-12-21, 09:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
2x yes.
3x no.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-12-21, 05:24 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
I wanted to understand why my local bike mechanic insists that I can't put wider ranged gearing on my bike. If not for this poll, I would have never guessed that the practice was so common.
I interpreted your poll question pertaining to extreme cross chain angles and not about wider ranged gearing. Likewise I am getting old and not in the same shape as 20 yrs ago. Maybe I’m out of touch with present chains and it’s now ok to have extreme cross chain angles. The question seemed so general to me given the wide variety of chainstay lengths and derailleurs that it could work with no problem in some combos and not with others, like “low tire pressure” may be no problem in some situations and absolutely not doable in others.
Old 09-12-21, 05:40 PM
Frank S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I interpreted your poll question pertaining to extreme cross chain angles and not about wider ranged gearing. Likewise I am getting old and not in the same shape as 20 yrs ago. Maybe I’m out of touch with present chains and it’s now ok to have extreme cross chain angles. The question seemed so general to me given the wide variety of chainstay lengths and derailleurs that it could work with no problem in some combos and not with others, like “low tire pressure” may be no problem in some situations and absolutely not doable in others.
Yes. I asked a general question. I honestly didn't think that it was ever done. I have only ever put a bike in the large/large combination to see if it would work. I have never used those while riding. I only shifted into them on a stand.

I tried to be vague, in order to not get responses that I wanted to hear.
Old 09-12-21, 06:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yes. I asked a general question. I honestly didn't think that it was ever done. I have only ever put a bike in the large/large combination to see if it would work. I have never used those while riding. I only shifted into them on a stand.
It may be different for different groupsets, but if you look at the install manuals for 105 and up, you'll see that the big/big is meant to be used.
Old 09-12-21, 07:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
I tried to be vague, in order to not get responses that I wanted to hear.
I do the same at restaurants. I try to be vague, in order to not get food that I want to eat.
Old 09-13-21, 10:17 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So what? I was talking about a double. What's a triple got to do with my post? Haven't run one of those in 20 years.
i guess what i mean is that a single chain ring seems so limiting to me. i don't have the steep climbs that a lot of riders here describe but i can't image riding grades of +/- 15% on a single.
Old 09-13-21, 02:00 PM
rrjmaier

Bikes: Koga-Miyata Traveller, Specialized Roubaix, Brompton folding bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
YEP, I do a lot of cross chaining without ANY issues.
OK there is tiny amount of scratch on the front derailleur when on big/big but a small tip on the from Ultegra Brifter relaxes the front derailleur just enough to stop the scratch.
Also I use a 11 speed YBN chain (SLA110 Ti-N) which has a bit more sideways flex than a standard KMC or SRAM chain and I had no issues what so ever with the lifetime of the chain, cassette or chain wheels (all typ. >4000 miles). cassette: Shimano HG800,
Old 09-13-21, 02:33 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I try to avoid it. I'm not always entirely sure where I am on the cassette.
Old 09-13-21, 02:37 PM
rrjmaier

Bikes: Koga-Miyata Traveller, Specialized Roubaix, Brompton folding bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
As long as you hear any scratching noise you should be fine. When it starts to "grind" it might have gone too far and you shouldn't stay in that combination for long, but a short interval of a few minutes to maybe get you just over the top ahead is OK.
Old 09-13-21, 02:45 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
I have 3x9, and use big/big very rarely. I can hear/feel it, a reminder of the hundreds of milliwatts being wasted, so don't spend much time there.
Old 09-13-21, 04:28 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by spelger
i guess what i mean is that a single chain ring seems so limiting to me. i don't have the steep climbs that a lot of riders here describe but i can't image riding grades of +/- 15% on a single.
Ah I see now. You thought I meant there was no point in having a double chainring right? That's not what I meant at all. I was just literally answering the question in the thread title i.e. no point [in using the large chainring + largest cassette sprocket] with a double chainring.
Old 09-13-21, 04:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
On the bike with 405mm chain stays, I try to avoid it. On the one with 430s, not as big an issue.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-14-21, 09:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

I answered a bored "no" to this question. Here is a chart that approximates the gear-inches for two of my road bike setups. Someone please explain to me why I would want to/need to use my big-big combination in favor of dropping down to the middle range of my lower chainring. Please?
Old 09-14-21, 09:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I'll note that on my fixed gear, I use the big-big combination all of the time, even when climbing or descending, so there's that...
Old 09-14-21, 09:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
On the bike with 405mm chain stays, I try to avoid it. On the one with 430s, not as big an issue.
Finally, someone who understands it.

John
Old 09-14-21, 09:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
​​​​​​

I've found my way there accidentally a couple times, but my bikes generally tell me to knock it off. I definitely wouldn't call it "using" the gear. I'll hit the left shifter lickity split when I hear that noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.