Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any recommendation for flat tire solution?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-12-21, 01:04 PM
lipued

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I moved in about 3 weeks ago in SLC Utah for my school, and have used my Giant Expressway to commute.

The thing is, the yesterday flat was the third flat, so there was a flat once a week!

I see that some flats are inevitable since there are lots of road debris and garden wastes in the road, and the roads are not so well maintained, but once a week is just too much.

Currently I am looking for some kind of airless tire or a tire liner. Are there any drawbacks, including ride quality? And do you have any brand recommendation?
Old 09-12-21, 02:18 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
These are very puncture resistant tires:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...hon_Plus_HS440

These kind of "armored" tires, along with tire liners and airless tires - they all do ride a little harsher and less efficient than lightweight tires.

Tubeless tires would be another potential solution, but it might require new wheels and new tires.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-12-21, 02:20 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Swap those kendas out for a set Schwalbe Marathon plus.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-12-21, 02:29 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
Yeah like they said. Get the tires that don't allow holes through them. I am on my fourth set of Schwalbe tires on my touring bike and no flats from exterior sources. Over 7 years and thousands of miles.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-12-21, 04:54 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Tubeless
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-12-21, 05:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Make sure you investigate and find out why you flatted each time. Don't just assume it was a puncture from a road hazard.

FWIW, I flat rarely. But when I do, I usually flat 3 times within the next handful or two of rides. After that third flat, I'll be good for 18 to 24 months or so.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-12-21, 06:43 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Once you make sure that your rim strip is covering all of the sharp-edged spoke hole inside your rim, and you're ready to replace the tube, try one of the tubes that come with sealant inside. Yes, they're a little heavier and they're kind of silly, but they'll work great for a commuter bike back/forth from class. Make sure that there's nothing still stuck through your tire by CAREFULLY running your fingers all around the inside of the tire while it's completely removed from the rim, or use a cotton ball to do the same. If there's a sharp object embedded in the tire you'll find it this way. Doubtful that it's your issue, but might as well rule it out. Good luck, flats, suck.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-12-21, 07:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Garden wastes? WTF they grow in gardens out there that winds up in the street causing flats?!
Old 09-12-21, 07:28 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 2,871 Times in 1,452 Posts
not cheap but they work-https://www.treefortbikes.com/Panara...SABEgINVvD_BwE what size tires?or if mtb use a more aggressive knobby & sacrifice rolling resistance.
Old 09-12-21, 08:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Make sure you investigate and find out why you flatted each time. Don't just assume it was a puncture from a road hazard.
You need to identify the cause of your punctures and eliminate that cause. A common cause is tiny wires from radial ply tires. Those tiny little wires can be hard to find and, even once found, can be the very dickens to pull out of your tire. You are doomed to suffer frequent repeat punctures until you find and remove the offending wire.

If you make a habit of installing your replacement inner tubes with the valve stem adjacent to the label on your tire, you will be able to see if your punctures are happening in the same place relative to your tire. If that's the case, explore that portion of your tire very carefully. I have taken to carrying a small needle nose pliers with me just for removing radial wires from my tire after a puncture.

I would guess that Salt Lake City is in the goat head thorn belt. I've heard about them but, living in the St Louis area, we thankfully don't have them. You might be well served to ask at a local bike shop what they suggest for minimizing goat head punctures.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-12-21 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For Retro Grouch:
Old 09-12-21, 08:19 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I'm another rider who switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires because I was having too many flats.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-12-21, 09:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Garden wastes? WTF they grow in gardens out there that winds up in the street causing flats?!
Roses, perhaps?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-12-21, 09:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
I lived in Utah for 6 years and I never had a flat due to a goat's head. I think the op probably never got rid of the thing that caused his flats and needs to figure out what's causing them.
The worst is a sliver of tire belt.

I don't see anything wrong with going tubeless, but it could possibly cost money
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-12-21, 10:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,010 Posts
I was really surprised at how puncture resistant my Continental RIDE-TOUR tires are. I am very satisfied with them. Also, if you are going to get new tires better get them now. I suspect they are going to go up in price drastically soon...

Old 09-13-21, 01:07 AM
letank

Bikes: Specialized Allez (over 15K), Soma Saga (new used addition)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Once you make sure that your rim strip is covering all of the sharp-edged spoke hole inside your rim, and you're ready to replace the tube, try one of the tubes that come with sealant inside. Yes, they're a little heavier and they're kind of silly, but they'll work great for a commuter bike back/forth from class. Make sure that there's nothing still stuck through your tire by CAREFULLY running your fingers all around the inside of the tire while it's completely removed from the rim, or use a cotton ball to do the same. If there's a sharp object embedded in the tire you'll find it this way. Doubtful that it's your issue, but might as well rule it out. Good luck, flats, suck.
the cotton ball is such a great idea!
Likes For letank:
Old 09-13-21, 01:34 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I saw tire liners at my Walmart once. I've also heard of people lining their tires with Gorilla tape for a cheap option. You could even put two or three wraps in it. Tublito tubes have good reviews but they're expensive. If I was a poor college student I personally would try the Gorilla tape option if all you're getting is just tiny slivers of stuff puncturing your tire.
Old 09-13-21, 04:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Good advice so far, I'd add something that has worked for me: at the end of your riding each day, check your tires to see if they picked up any glass, wire, metal, etc. I think quite often my flats happened a ride or two after I picked up the debris. By finding it early and removing it, my rate of flatting has gone down dramatically. The only flats I've gotten in the past 5 years have been those damn radial wire shards which get through every tire I've tried. But, several times my inspection has found shards before they got all the way through to the tube.

I start at the valve and walk the bike while wiping the tire with a rage. If I find anything. I let the air out and remove the glass/metal/whatever with tweezers or needle nose pliers. If a big chunk of tire has been slashed, I'll fill the hole with ShoeGoo, reinflate and put the bike away for the next ride.
Old 09-13-21, 05:26 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Regular Marathons will do the trick too. I put a pair of Marathons on my bike back in March, and I've already put over 4000km on them without a single flat. Highly recommended.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 09-13-21, 06:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by lipued
I moved in about 3 weeks ago in SLC Utah for my school, and have used my Giant Expressway to commute.

The thing is, the yesterday flat was the third flat, so there was a flat once a week!

I see that some flats are inevitable since there are lots of road debris and garden wastes in the road, and the roads are not so well maintained, but once a week is just too much.

Currently I am looking for some kind of airless tire or a tire liner. Are there any drawbacks, including ride quality? And do you have any brand recommendation?
Schwalbe Marathon Plus in the widest size you can fit. That's what I've run in my commuter bike for four years now. And the riding performance doesn't suffer as much as one might imagine.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-13-21, 06:38 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have thousands of miles on my schwalbe Marathon plus. I just took my spare inner tube out of my bag because I need to remember to replace it. It has been in my bike bag for years so I dont trust it anymore. Just in case I ever do have a flat.
Old 09-13-21, 08:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
I've been running tire liners for years (and years). I went from a flat every two weeks, to a couple flats a year.
Old 09-13-21, 05:29 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 326 Posts
Back in ‘84 I went to grad school in Tucson and had the same problem. Everything there was pointy and wanted to poke, bite, or sting me. Mr Tuffy at least protected my tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Bicy.../dp/B078FHD1ZH
Old 09-16-21, 04:56 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
These are very puncture resistant tires:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...hon_Plus_HS440

These kind of "armored" tires, along with tire liners and airless tires - they all do ride a little harsher and less efficient than lightweight tires.

Tubeless tires would be another potential solution, but it might require new wheels and new tires.
I stand by this post!
Old 09-17-21, 09:38 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
As others have said, find the cause. If it is from outside sources, the Marathon plus does the trick for me.
Old 09-17-21, 10:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
You will NEVER flat on these because there is nothing to ‘flat’. Solid core tube

Ride quality is questionable but at least you will never flat. Also there are solid rubber tires which contain zero air which will give you a workout but no flats.

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.