Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-14-21, 10:42 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

I get the impression that many ride their bikes several times before they check their tire pressure. I check and top off my tires before every ride. That way the tires are at the proper pressure, and if a tire seems really low, I can check it for pin hole leaks at home before I ride.

The other thing is on videos etc I see people that seem to ride with no tools or tire equipment at all. What happens when they get a flat? Personally I carry a mini bike shop in my trunk pack.

Discussion?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-14-21, 10:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
In some things….

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 09-14-21, 10:51 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I check my tires before every ride and I carry the same little mini bike shop in my kit....there's nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of BFE without the tools to fix your ride.
Likes For BHG6:
Old 09-14-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Most people learn what tradeoffs they're comfortable with through experience. If someone has being doing things a certain way for a long time, it must work for them, so you just have to accept that their experiences and sensibilities are different than yours and move on.
Old 09-14-21, 11:01 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,794 Posts
I pump up the tires before *most* rides, but not all.

Depends on the ride, the bike, the time since.I last rode it, etc.

Lots of experience indicates that if I rode the bike yesterday and the tire still feels hard against my thumb, then it's within 5 psi of where I set it last. That difference doesn't always matter to me.
Old 09-14-21, 11:04 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 587 Posts
I lose enough PSI that if I ride my bike twice a week, I have to put air in twice a week. Not a lot, of course, but some.

If I ride two days in a row, I usually don't bother.

I used to live in a city where all my riding was on the street... I'd get flats every couple months. Now I live where I have easy access to two excellent and smooth rail trails, and haven't had a single flat since I've been here. I attribute that to the lack of debris/cinders/broken glass/radial tire cords etc on the path vs. on the road. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself!

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 09-14-21 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-14-21, 11:17 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
I carry enough tools to overhaul the bicycle. I check the tire pressure for flats or low pressure by pinching the tires before every ride but only add air twice a month.
Old 09-14-21, 11:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I get the impression that many ride their bikes several times before they check their tire pressure. I check and top off my tires before every ride. That way the tires are at the proper pressure, and if a tire seems really low, I can check it for pin hole leaks at home before I ride.

The other thing is on videos etc I see people that seem to ride with no tools or tire equipment at all. What happens when they get a flat? Personally I carry a mini bike shop in my trunk pack.

Discussion?
You do you, I'll do me.
Old 09-14-21, 11:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
With tires wider than 'performance road' tires (>28mm) then a squeeze with the thumb can tell you what you need to know. If you have 25mm or 23 mm or smaller tires and need to keep them pumped up to 90 or 100 psi, well 70psi feels a lot like 90psi to the thumb, so it is prudent to regularly connect your pump to be sure.

The drawback to regularly pumping your tires is that every time you pull the pump off the valve stem, you put a bit of stress on it and increase the risk of a failure at the valve.
Old 09-14-21, 11:29 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I check/fill my tires before every ride. They always need air. Got sick of carrying tools and spares. If I have a mechanical I can always hitch a ride back or walk.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-14-21, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Because I rotate through the bikes I have based on what I feel like riding, I generally pump up the tires each time I ride. The exception would be if I ride the same bike a couple times within a week, and then I give the tires a squeeze to make sure they're okay.

WRT tools, I have a saddle bag with a spare tube, a multitool, tire levers, and stick-on patches that I transfer to whichever bike I'm going to ride, except for the one with sew-ups, which has a spare tire strapped to the saddle, and I carry the multitool from the saddle bag as well as a little bottle of tire sealant and a valve wrench. And no matter what bike, I always have a pump, either a frame pump for the metal bikes or a minipump in my pocket for the plastic ones.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-21, 11:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 677 Posts
I pump my tires before every ride because I like to maintain the desired pressure for ride quality. It's rarely more than a few pumps, so I'm sure I could get away with skipping it a few days, but I want peace of mind.

Some people carry tons of tools. Some carry only the most common ones. Some carry only a cell phone with a ride share app. Some don't mind walking. Your choice.
Old 09-14-21, 12:04 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
riding situations are so different. i only have one road bike, so it gets ridden very often (every other day at the least), in an urban area.

my tires don't lose enough pressure to inflate every time. every third ride or so i check it, typically add 5psi or so. if i did it every time, i assume i'd be adding <2psi every time, not worth the trouble.

i don't ride with tools and stuff for 99% of my rides because although i ride relatively long distances, i'm never that far from the urban core. frankly i'd rather just take an uber/lyft home with the bike and fix it on the stand, or take it to the shop if it's beyond me. 3,000 miles, no flats, but i'll reconsider that if/when i change to "nicer" tires.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-14-21, 12:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Videos? Yeah, for sure, if you saw it on TV or on the Internet it must be true ......

More seriously, if you saw a video of racing, those guys don't carry tools, they carry trains of cars carrying tools, wheels, mechanics, and spare bikes. If you saw a "How to" or "Look a this ride" video, the rider had a film crew, with cars, spares, etc .... otherwise a flat could have ruined the shoot.

Pretty much every time I get a bike off the rack I bounce it a little to see what rattles, and press the tubes with a thumb or finger. If I have ridden it the day before, that it all, as a rule. If it has been on the rack for some time I do a safety routine---squeeze the brakes, bounce front, rear, and whole bike, shake the bars, shake the cranks, maybe wobble the wheels, and squeeze the tires. I don't tend to lose enough air overnight to have to add any every day ... not sure I could tell 93 psi from 95 psi.

Since I don't have a support staff, I carry tubes, tools, food, pump, anything which might help me get home in about 95% of situations. I have had to walk home a few times, but surprisingly few .... and since I don't have a go-to "Call of shame" recipient I definitely would rather fix it roadside.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-14-21, 12:14 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I pump my tires up 2.5 pounds high on Sunday, then by the next Sunday they are 2.5 low. Close enough.

I carry tire tools and a spare tube plus a bike multi-tool. That is all I have ever needed.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 09-14-21, 12:30 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

Discussion?
I'm with you, except I check tire pressures every other ride instead of every ride. I carry a full array of tools in my backpack, even though my last actual puncture was back in the 1990s lol
Old 09-14-21, 12:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
I check/fill my tires before every ride. They always need air. Got sick of carrying tools and spares. If I have a mechanical I can always hitch a ride back or walk.
Lets clarify. Are you really saying that if you get a flat tire 25mi from home, you would rather call someone and make them get you, instead of just carrying a tube plus levers and inflation?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-14-21, 12:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I'll pump my tires up every ride to the PSI I want for that rides surface. However if I just rode the bike yesterday, then I might just give the tires a squeeze.

I'm wondering why I carry a tube and tire changing stuff with me. It's been over 1˝ years since I've needed them. Wondering about why I carry other stuff too.

A little silicone grease on the valve stem once every blue moon will get some lube up in the air chuck to keep it from causing so much wear and tear on the valve stem boot. Or... just get a new air chuck.

My slightly heavier bell tubes loose air slower than my lighter continental tubes. Both butyl. Seems reasonable.
Old 09-14-21, 12:58 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
I run latex tubes and tubeless, so I must pump most rides. As tubeless I am resetting the pressure for the day's duty of gravel or cyclocross. And latex loses air a lot faster.

Butyl? Butyl without a problem should be within a pound or two for a long time. Like you could set it at 85psi and be at 82psi a couple weeks later.

Some folks can judge that just squeezing it with their thumb.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-14-21, 01:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
i like to be self sufficient but i certainly don't lose sleep over what others do (or don't do).
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-14-21, 01:17 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 238 Posts
There's been a dozen times just this year, I yelled at people their tires are half flat. Just plain clueless, IMO.
I let a girl use my pump one day. She barely knew how to use it on her Linus bike. I told her she had to count a hundred strokes.
She didn't know what the pressure should be either.
Except for commuters, very few carry a pump. Maybe there's lots with a CO2 in their pocket, like race bike guys.
Old 09-14-21, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Butyl? Butyl without a problem should be within a pound or two for a long time. Like you could set it at 85psi and be at 82psi a couple weeks later.
I sort of agree. If I leave my bike for a week or two the one with the conti tube will be down in the low 80's. And it seems to stay there except for when in very long disuse.

However 85 psi isn't right for all of us. I'm sometimes 125 on the rear. rarely less than 110 on the rear. Depends on the roads.

I lose about 1/2 psi per day on the conti till it hits the low 80's and maybe 1/2 psi every other day on the bells.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-14-21, 01:23 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I pump mine before every ride. Both of my road bikes run tubulars with latex tubes, so there’s no other option with them. My gravelish bike gets pumped because I’m already in the habit of doing it.

I don’t generally ride with tools because I like to live dangerously.
Old 09-14-21, 01:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I check and top off my tires before every ride.

I see people that seem to ride with no tools or tire equipment at all. What happens when they get a flat?
Apparently, they deal with it.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-14-21, 01:30 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Some people are able to ride with a light heart, some ride burdened with worry, anxiety and an ever increasing load of tools and spare parts.

Some of my happiest bicycling memories date from the 70's when my neighbor and I rode together every Saturday morning carrying neither tools nor even a spare inner tube. I'm typing this from home so we obviously always found a way to get back. In the interest of full disclosure, these days I ride prepared today to handle a puncture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.