Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-14-21, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I get the impression that many ride their bikes several times before they check their tire pressure. I check and top off my tires before every ride. That way the tires are at the proper pressure, and if a tire seems really low, I can check it for pin hole leaks at home before I ride.

The other thing is on videos etc I see people that seem to ride with no tools or tire equipment at all. What happens when they get a flat? Personally I carry a mini bike shop in my trunk pack.

Discussion?

I usually check the pressure about every 4 days or so. It's pretty predictable, and if it isn't it's obviously flat.

I carry enough tools to fix a flat, that's about it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-21, 01:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Not many cyclists seem to realize that the cell phone is a master mechanics' device, capable of dealing with almost every bicycle-related situation -- apparently.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-14-21, 01:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends on the tire and tube (or lack of one). My nice race wheels with latex tubes need topping off every time I ride. My tubeless CX/gravel set every other time. My training/commuting wheels with butyl tubes, could be weeks.

As for the pros, they carry saddlebags and pumps when they're out on training rides. I do too.
Old 09-14-21, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not many cyclists seem to realize that the cell phone is a master mechanics' device, capable of dealing with almost every bicycle-related situation -- apparently.

Depends where you ride. I seem to specialize in "no service available" routes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-21, 01:53 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Most people learn what tradeoffs they're comfortable with through experience. If someone has being doing things a certain way for a long time, it must work for them, so you just have to accept that their experiences and sensibilities are different than yours and move on.
That is very well put. My experience tells me to carry a spare inner tube, a patch kit, a pump and a multi tool....and a spare master link. I have used all this gear to help other people too !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-14-21, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
There's been a dozen times just this year, I yelled at people their tires are half flat. Just plain clueless, IMO.
I let a girl use my pump one day. She barely knew how to use it on her Linus bike. I told her she had to count a hundred strokes.
She didn't know what the pressure should be either.
Except for commuters, very few carry a pump. Maybe there's lots with a CO2 in their pocket, like race bike guys.

I know what the pressure should be. Enough so I can ride it to the next floor pump without bending the rims.

You yelled that at people? Really?
Old 09-14-21, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Most people learn what tradeoffs they're comfortable with through experience. If someone has being doing things a certain way for a long time, it must work for them, so you just have to accept that their experiences and sensibilities are different than yours and move on.
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
That is very well put. My experience tells me to carry a spare inner tube, a patch kit, a pump and a multi tool....and a spare master link. I have used all this gear to help other people too !!

Now where's the fun in that? People need to be punished for not doing it my way!

Seriously, I love it when people offer to help when they see I have a flat. I like being able to say "no thanks, I'm all set" even more. I've had some very pleasant chats with people under those circumstances.

My most recent rescue was giving a Kind bar to an old man who had bonked, we got to talk about his old bespoke 1990s Lightspeed. Nice fellow, former serious rider who was now quite old and showing it,

But I digress.

What was this thread about?
Old 09-14-21, 02:52 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Lets clarify. Are you really saying that if you get a flat tire 25mi from home, you would rather call someone and make them get you, instead of just carrying a tube plus levers and inflation?
If I was gonna be 25 miles away I may plan better. Usually only about 15 miles from home. I can deal with that. I don't mind doing a route twice in one go if it keeps me closer.
Old 09-14-21, 02:55 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I get the impression that many ride their bikes several times before they check their tire pressure. I check and top off my tires before every ride. That way the tires are at the proper pressure, and if a tire seems really low, I can check it for pin hole leaks at home before I ride.

The other thing is on videos etc I see people that seem to ride with no tools or tire equipment at all. What happens when they get a flat? Personally I carry a mini bike shop in my trunk pack.

Discussion?
I walk my ass back home. I'm not that paranoid.If my tire is low, chances are, if there are bmxers at the skatepark; there might be an airpump...

Last edited by Jax Rhapsody; 09-14-21 at 03:02 PM.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 09-14-21, 03:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,469 Times in 5,875 Posts
I have a coworker who got into cycling, bought himself a nice Cervelo, and later an even nicer Wilier. Not only does he not carry pump or spare tube, he doesn't even know how to fix a flat. Takes it to the LBS. FOR FLATS!!! I don't understand it.

In addition, he's got a terrible sense of direction, so if he flatted and called his wife, he might not be able to figure out where he is for her to come get him. Mostly these days, though, he just rides indoors. Fewer flats and it's harder to get lost, I guess.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-14-21, 03:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
On my commute bike, I pump it up to 60psi and ride until it starts feeling silky smooth. That's about 20psi, and several weeks time. Repeat.

On my sport bike, I top off tires every ride. Just because.

On my randonneuring bike (which is actually the same bike as my sport bike, but with a different attitude) I'll top off before the ride, and if it's a multi-day I might top off every day.

I could, I suppose, have an internet argument with myself on which is best, but I'll refrain.
Old 09-14-21, 03:36 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
It depends on the tubes you're using. Since I switched to exclusively using Schwalbe and Continental tubes, I can go a lot longer. I've gone weeks without topping them off, and even then they usually haven't lost much air. Cheap tubes are another story.

I always carry what I need to fix a flat tire on the road. Each bike has its own seat bag with basic tools and a tube specific to that bike, and a frame-mounted mini-pump.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 09-14-21 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 03:50 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 - I top mine up before each ride.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 09-14-21, 04:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts

Discussion?
I always carry a basic repair kit to be self-sufficient if I get a flat or a breakdown. In 15 years of cycling I've never gone out for a ride without a basic repair kit..
Old 09-14-21, 04:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Is the OP’s question sincere? Or, is it a PSA on what he feels is the ‘right’ thing to do?

I don’t know how he knows if people do or do not air their tires.

How does he not know that many people keep their tools in a small wrap that they fit in a jersey pocket - so is virtually invisible?

Because you are on this forum, the chances are good you do at least one of the recommendations.

Believe the recommendation above to not care what others do, or don’t do, is spot on.

Perhaps he is being sincere, but if that’s the case, there is so much to question about why humans choose to do one thing over another, believe in one thing, or chose to be mean versus helpful, the questions could go on forever.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-14-21, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I would rather change a tube on the side of the road than use my cell phone and burden somebody to come rescue me
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-14-21, 04:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Depends where you ride. I seem to specialize in "no service available" routes.
Yup. I spend a lot of time in areas where my phone is an expensive brick.

1985: What’s a “cell” phone? Oh, you mean the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X? That cost $4000 then and had a battery life of 60 minutes, weighed nearly 2 lbs, and took 10 hours to charge? Nope. Didn’t have one.

Even though this is close to Breckenridge, no service.

I’d have to drive 20 miles to the west or north but about 100 miles to the south or east to get a signal.

This is that 20 miles to the west (closer to 30). And I could only get a signal if I climbed up to the top of a specific hill. Every where else the phone is a brick. It’s not even as useful as a brick. A brick could at least be used as a hammer.

Just nope. Not for about 50 miles.

If it ain’t in my head or in my pack, it’s not likely to get fixed and I’m in for a bit of walking.

This goes with me just about everywhere I go…backcountry or in town
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-14-21, 05:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
My tire pressure seems to last a few rides, especially since I went with 25-32 tubes and 25mm tires.

Always carry extra tube, patch kit, and pump.

Tools vary a bit depending on road or mtb. Have multitool for both, but added a spoke wrench, chain break and quick link to my mtb setup. Once you’ve been without you appreciate them.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-14-21, 05:26 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
I can tell by the way it's riding if it needs air, and it's not even close to daily, sometimes not even weekly
Old 09-14-21, 05:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
If everyone carried the tubes, tools, and knowledge to fix a flat, my LBS would probably go out of business. It’s eight bucks for the tube plus eight bucks labor all day long down there. Keep up the good work, noobs — you're helping to keep a great small business alive!
Old 09-14-21, 06:01 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I pump up my tires once a week. Put 80 psi in them, and a week later they are down to 70 psi when I pump them back up to 80. I do squeeze them before I ride to make sure they're OK. If I have a flat, I'll walk the bike home and deal with it there. I know that's what I'd do if I flatted... because I've done it many times.
Old 09-14-21, 06:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Random11
I pump up my tires once a week. Put 80 psi in them, and a week later they are down to 70 psi when I pump them back up to 80. I do squeeze them before I ride to make sure they're OK. If I have a flat, I'll walk the bike home and deal with it there. I know that's what I'd do if I flatted... because I've done it many times.

For me, that'd pretty likely be as much as a 50 mile walk. Not doing that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-21, 06:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I fill the tires to my preferred 85f/95r pressures before I head out in the morning. My afternoon commute - I just deal with whatever the pressures are. At most they've lost a couple of psi.

As for tool kit - just a multi-tool, tire levers, patch kit, one Presta adapter and a spare tube in the mini seat bag. In my last eight years of riding to work on nice days (~20-25 25mi r/t commutes between mid May and late August, or ~twice/week) I've only had one pinch flat and that was from road debris that I didn't see in the early morning shadows. I was able to change out the tube and inflate the front tire to around 65psi with the frame-mounted mini-pump. I topped it off with the air compressor when I got to work.

My previous work commute was a tad shorter. In the 15+ years of riding that one 2x-3x/wk during the summer months, I had one flat from broken glass and another one from roadkill. Yes, roadkill. I wasn't paying attention ahead (I was looking back to check on traffic on the 55mph State Highway) and ran over the mostly decomposed/skeletonized roadkill. A tooth in the piece of broken jawbone or maybe some other bone fragment punctured the sidewall of my rear tire.

So that's three flats in several thousand miles, spread out over almost 25 years.

Each of my bikes has either a seat bag or handlebar bag with the same basic flat repair items that I listed above. Those 'other' road-ridden bikes all have full-size frame pumps (all are old-school Zefal Hp).

Old 09-14-21, 06:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
The next thread will be about why some cyclists don't eat anything when they ride, all because the OP doesn't see any food in cycling videos.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-14-21, 07:01 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
riding situations are so different. i only have one road bike, so it gets ridden very often (every other day at the least), in an urban area.

my tires don't lose enough pressure to inflate every time. every third ride or so i check it, typically add 5psi or so. if i did it every time, i assume i'd be adding <2psi every time, not worth the trouble.

i don't ride with tools and stuff for 99% of my rides because although i ride relatively long distances, i'm never that far from the urban core. frankly i'd rather just take an uber/lyft home with the bike and fix it on the stand, or take it to the shop if it's beyond me. 3,000 miles, no flats, but i'll reconsider that if/when i change to "nicer" tires.
Just before reading your reply I went out searching for Lyft/Uber to see if they have any bicycle policies or guidelines. Nothing in particular but a few comments suggest getting the large vehicles and then checking with the driver.

Anyone here use either service with a bicycle?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.