Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-15-21, 11:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
I run latex and butyl tubes in clinchers and latex in tubulars. I pump all tires every time I ride. It is sort of a pre-check inspection before riding. And I check electronic shifting battery charge. Generally, I put the bike on the car and drive to a route.

I carry a multi purpose tool, CO2, spare tube, patch kit, latex glove, tire irons, tire boot in case of tire cut and a mini frame pump. Lately, I have been riding my tubular race wheels on my time trial bike so I carry an inflator with latex sealer. I had to use my phone once to get a ride due to a sidewall cut where nothing seemed to work.

I do not watch videos of other riders and certainly if I did, the last thing I might observe was their tool/flat solution. Having said that, on a coastal ride in San Diego on the weekend, I will see between 50-100 cyclists on the road. So I get a pretty good idea of what is market for bikes, wheels, setup, toolkits/ bags, clothes and etc. I might see one rebent or a trike. I see more handcycle cyclists. I think the small power climbs on the coast, ahem, cause the rebents to choose other routes.

And if I stop and dismount, I am regaled by cyclists wanting to know if I am okay. I stopped to use a Jiffy John on Fiesta Island and as I was walking my bike to the john, a couple of cyclists yelled, are you good. In SD, we take care of each other so on any given day, we are very long on tools, tubes, expertise, CO2 and pumps.
Old 09-15-21, 11:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Although, I did just that about two weeks ago. The last person or Olympic weight lifter who tightened my rear through-axle did a fantastic job. I got a gashed tire (I might have been able to boot it) but could not get the through-axle loosened. I cursed, prodded and bent a tire level in futile attempts to get the thing loose. I even took off my bike shoe and tried using it as a hammer. It required a decent sized rubber mallet's 2-3 good hits to move it.
This should be cross-posted in the thread about bike shoes. If you wore the right shoes, you wouldn't have had a problem.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-21, 11:10 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
BTW I even carry a small bottle of alcohol to wash my hands if I get grease on them. The complete cyclist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope that it is not denatured so that it can serve double duty!
Old 09-15-21, 11:15 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by kahn
I hope that it is not denatured so that it can serve double duty!
I guess we're starting to get the whole picture here. The OP, drunk on rubbing alcohol, spends his time checking out other riders' tool packages. I'm switching to baggy shorts ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-21, 11:18 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This should be cross-posted in the thread about bike shoes. If you wore the right shoes, you wouldn't have had a problem.
Rigid soles and spd but I guess I could not grasp them and get a good angle on the through-axle lever. And to make matters worse, I do have a hammer toe. I do recall years ago jumping on a tire iron along I-90 trying to get a bolt loose on my car's rim.
Old 09-15-21, 11:22 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
And if I stop and dismount, I am regaled by cyclists wanting to know if I am okay. I stopped to use a Jiffy John on Fiesta Island and as I was walking my bike to the john, a couple of cyclists yelled, are you good. In SD, we take care of each other so on any given day, we are very long on tools, tubes, expertise, CO2 and pumps.
pretty much the same thing here; if i stop to stretch or something on any of my more frequently traveled routes, tons of passing cyclists ask if all's well. it makes me wish i knew enough to be helpful to someone i saw wrenching on the side of the road!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-15-21, 01:31 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I guess we're starting to get the whole picture here. The OP, drunk on rubbing alcohol, spends his time checking out other riders' tool packages. I'm switching to baggy shorts ...
Or maybe baggy panties.
Real men bike riders know how to repair their bike on the road if need be.
Old 09-15-21, 02:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Or maybe baggy panties.
And trikes (for those who need to be more stable and close to the ground.)
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-15-21, 02:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And trikes (for those who need to be more stable and close to the ground.)
Of course, Rydabent rides a two-wheeled bent---so he is unstable and floating in space.

And wearing oversized panties, apparently, but that was a lot more information than I really wanted.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-21, 04:17 PM
tomato coupe

Or maybe baggy panties.
Okay, I stand corrected. The OP, drunk on rubbing alcohol, spends his time checking out other riders' tool packages and fantasizing about them wearing panties.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-21, 04:38 PM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I carry a patch kit and multi-tool.
I've never carried a spare tube, tire, or brake and shift cables.

I have carried enough tools to disassemble the bike down to the bare frame. They came in handy when the freewheel came apart. Since I didn't carry any spare bearing balls, I had to walk back a hundred yards until I figured that I found enough.

Last edited by Frank S; 09-16-21 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Frank S:
Old 09-15-21, 05:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I don’t bother checking my LHT’s pressure every day for my 1.75 mile commute. Usually don’t bother with a pump or flat changing stuff unless I’ll be going somewhere after work.

Right now I’m 4 days into a tour from northern VT to home. Haven’t checked pressure once. Maybe at the end of the day tomorrow.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-15-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 05:30 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I check my tires before each ride and then I stop 1/3 of the way into the ride to check them, and again at 2/3 into the ride for my last pressure check.
At the halfway point of each ride I also stop to re-lube(dry ofc)my chain.
And I know it goes without saying, but I also change the batteries in my helmet light at the halfway point in case my hub dynamos fail.
Again, I know it also goes without saying but I also check my saddle bag before and during each ride to make sure my drivers license, medical ID card, credit card, next of kin list, and last will and testament are secure.
Anything less would be irresponsible and dangerous.
Old 09-15-21, 05:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Do you carry a crock pot on long trips so you can re-wax your chain?
Nope. I don’t use hot wax. I use wax in solvent. Easier to carry and just as effective.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-15-21, 06:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek1100FeltZ5
AAA will come out and pick you up and your bike - up to 100 miles away
Why not carry some basic tools and be self-sufficient ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-15-21, 06:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek1100FeltZ5
AAA will come out and pick you up and your bike - up to 100 miles away
Not available in all states or counties.
Old 09-15-21, 06:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I check my tires before each ride and then I stop 1/3 of the way into the ride to check them, and again at 2/3 into the ride for my last pressure check.
At the halfway point of each ride I also stop to re-lube(dry ofc)my chain.
And I know it goes without saying, but I also change the batteries in my helmet light at the halfway point in case my hub dynamos fail.
Again, I know it also goes without saying but I also check my saddle bag before and during each ride to make sure my drivers license, medical ID card, credit card, next of kin list, and last will and testament are secure.
Anything less would be irresponsible and dangerous.
You go a whole ride without changing your headset and bottom bracket? And do a whole ride on the same tires? You do like to live dangerously.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-21, 07:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
OP also doesn’t understand “racer boys” and DF bikes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-15-21, 07:20 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by gigadeath
What's the upper hand in walking back for miles dragging a flatted bike, when at home you'd have to spend the exact same time to fix the same issue you can fix roadside? Apart from being able to wash hands sooner I suppose?
You're probably better and quicker at changing tires than I am. The last tire I changed took me more than 24 hours. I had trouble getting the tire to mount and broke all my tire levers (three of them), and finished the job the next day after visiting the LBS to buy more tire levers. If I'm riding too far from home, I'll take my cell phone and call my wife to get me, but so far, I've not yet needed to use that option. She's offered, so I wouldn't feel bad calling her.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-15-21, 09:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Somewhere out there on the internet archives is a bit of cycling wisdom that says, ever so well, that you can never be prepared for every eventuality. Carry what you decide to carry, fully aware it may not be enough. And it will be okay.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-16-21, 02:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
Depends on the bike, distance, etc.

I prefer latex tubes on my road bikes. Not so much for the slight speed advantage, but for comfort. My neck is busted up from injuries, and latex tubes with supple tires are comfy. But those skinny 700x20-23 latex tubes don't hold air for long, so I have to check 'em before every ride.

I carry at least one butyl tube as a spare. And my minimalist spare kit fits in a very compact Lezyne Road Caddy: tube, CO2 inflator and cartridge, one lever, very slim multi-tool, sometimes a spare chain quick link. My other road bikes for longer unsupported rides will have two butyl tubes and two CO2 cartridges. And every bike has a mini pump, usually in a clamp bolted to the water bottle cage.

But my heavy comfort hybrid errand bike is mostly for short trips and I might not bother with a patch kit or anything else. I use heavy duty puncture resistant tires that have never had a puncture, even when I've pulled out staples, nails, glass, etc.

On group rides I and others have bailed out fellow riders who were under-prepared or completely unprepared for flat tires. Shouldn't be necessary, but that's how it is. If you watch videos of pros doing solo training rides, they almost always have a seat bag with spares. I don't get the vanity of recreational club roadies who don't even race amateur crits, but won't bother to carry a minimalist spare kit because it might slow them down or looks bad or something?

So on longer group rides I'll often carry extras for those folks. It's a little annoying, but I'm not gonna make a big deal about it during a ride. Easier to just help 'em out than fret over how to get them home.
Old 09-16-21, 04:11 AM
Maelochs

I was wondering what happened to @rydabent. It used to be that every four months or so he would start a thread about cycling wear, or diamond-frame bikes, or a couple other silly topics .... I was a little worried that it had been so long since we had heard from him.

I guess he was just busy riding ... and dreaming up new, even sillier positions to both defend and use to attack others.

Welcome back, Mr. Rydabent.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-16-21, 04:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Or maybe baggy panties.
How would you know this?
Real men bike riders don’t ride tricycles
Old 09-16-21, 05:20 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
I maintain my bikes well enough that I only feel I need a patch kit, tire levers and CO2 inflator for the roads and routes I ride. I do however have a multi-tool and spare tube in my saddle bag. Bike-packing, touring, solo century riding and jumping off of cliffs on a poorly assembled Huffy from Walmart may have different equipment needs.

I do find it interesting that along the way in this thread masculinity is starting to be measured by the ability to fix a flat or the number of wheels on the bike. As long as folks are riding what they enjoy I don't think it should matter to me if they ride a recumbent pulling a sag wagon full of gear.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-16-21, 05:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I maintain my bikes well enough that I only feel I need a patch kit, tire levers and CO2 inflator for the roads and routes I ride. I do however have a multi-tool and spare tube in my saddle bag. Bike-packing, touring, solo century riding and jumping off of cliffs on a poorly assembled Huffy from Walmart may have different equipment needs.

I do find it interesting that along the way in this thread masculinity is starting to be measured by the ability to fix a flat or the number of wheels on the bike. As long as folks are riding what they enjoy I don't think it should matter to me if they ride a recumbent pulling a sag wagon full of gear.

Also, pretty ridiculous that masculinity is somehow the ideal for this. I've gotten some damn good roadside advice from a woman bike mechanic who just happened to be riding by. Just shows how gender imbalanced BF is that someone gets away with the implied put-down of femininity.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.