Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-16-21, 12:21 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Oi .... here it goes ...... The local shop runs a lot of group rides and has its own cycling club (or rather, the shop owners and most employees are in the club.) There are riders of both sexes (or is "genders" the PC acceptable term nowadays ? ) In any case, any of them can work the register, fix a bike, outride my sorry butt and keep up with the fast group .... But it isn't "sexist" top assume that if there are two people in a shop, the guy is the mechanic, but Only because of social patterns .... "norms" which are in fact not "normal" but just usual.

However, the "Big-girl panties" remark was definitely an attack by Rydabent on what he implied was the lacking masculinity of people who don't do roadside repair.

The logical flaw here .... would be taking anything Rydabent posted, seriously.

He is not only a bent rider, he is a dinosaur, even by my standards. He grew up in a time when men were os afraid of women men had to belittle and demean women just to feel adequate .... and he is one of those old guys who instead of getting wise, got bitter, so he is still living in the mindset of a person born in the Cretaceous age (or however old he is---I think he is 85.) To him, calling a wan "womanly" is an ultimate put-down.... he doesn't see that he is also demeaning all women because for him, looking down on women (those scary women) is this norm.

(Contrast this with OldTryGuy who is about as old but has stayed vital and mentally alive ..... )

But hey .... for a guy as old as Rydabent to still be able to ride at all, is pretty amazing, so I try to cut him some slack when he responds with his tiny dinosaur brain, or completely fails to grasp the meaning of posts responding to his, or fails to even read posts responding to his ......

As for the size of underwear .... I guess Depends won't fit under bibs which is why he so loudly advertises the benefits of loose, floppy shorts.

But hey .... for all his silliness, the guy is still riding.
Yup Im 83 and ride anywhere from 15 to 35 miles every other day. Both my bike and trike have have a mirror image trunk packs of each other when it comes to tools and supplies.

BTW, since I have retired when I was 70 I have ridden approx 25,000 mile, and have never called anyone to rescue me, OR WALKED HOME. OTOH I have stopped and assisted countless riders that didnt have the knowledge or supplies or tools they should have had with them. To me the biggest surprise is that my 6" crescent wrench is the tool most used to help people out of their problem.
Old 09-16-21, 12:28 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Look at the quote and tell me that isn't an implied statement that men who don't repair the bike roadside are "womanly". Obviously, that is supposed to be an insult of the men, that they are acting like women who can't fix their own bikes.

Ryda's comment is an overtly sexist comment. I agree with Maelochs that OP probably isn't to be taken too seriously, but your claim here is really an insult to everyone's intelligence. Why would you work this hard to deny the obvious?

And no, in your hypothetical, I'm working with the first tech who talks to me, this "you would" crap is nonsense. Yes, if you opt for the male tech just because he's male and reject the female simply because she's female, you are a sexist person. That averages junk is a very transparent rationalization of anti-group prejudice. And just so you know, that's not how statistics work. There is no such thing as a "law of averages" for individual skills and talents.

You're actually much worse than OP here, you should know better.
From the side bar I see you are from New England, so you post doesnt surprise me at all.

BTW since I am a life long technician, other than having a bike shop mechanic put together my new bike, because of mfg warranty requirements, the man vs woman thing in the bike shop has never come up. Pondering it some, I think I would pick the oldest one, man or woman, because of experience.
Old 09-16-21, 12:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
People that know bike mechanics do not wax their chains they oil them. .

People oil bike mechanics?
Old 09-16-21, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

From the side bar I see you are from New England, so you post doesnt surprise me at all.
And the total non sequitur semi-grammatical gibberish from you doesn't surprise me at all.

Are you now going to explain about "real men" in "real America?" Any way you could spare us?
Old 09-16-21, 01:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
You're actually quite wrong about the impossibility thing. The people who set long distance riding records (x miles in a year for example) often do it by riding a fairly tight circle (diameter of, say, 4 miles) around their homes. It's an extremely efficient way of piling up miles (it makes all sorts of pit stops/bail outs very easy). A few people have posted on BF describing how they do this to ride an otherwise incredible number of miles.
I am missing what makes a tight circle better for racking up the miles. Why is riding a 12mi circle twice more efficient than riding a 24mi circle once each day? Or riding a 48mi circle every other day?
Old 09-16-21, 01:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am missing what makes a tight circle better for racking up the miles. Why is riding a 12mi circle twice more efficient than riding a 24mi circle once each day? Or riding a 48mi circle every other day?
The smaller loop, the more control you have over things like traffic controls and terrain; the bigger the loop, the more difficult it'll be to exclude those negative factors. I've been looking for a clean, 25-33 mile loop for a *****-and-giggles sub-5 solo century and, even in the sticks, it's not easy to come by.
Old 09-16-21, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
When I hear about "50000 km without a flat" i really feel insecure ..... if can can go five weeks without a flat I feel like I am winning the lottery.
I went two years, about 2500 miles without a flat then got 3 in a month - two rocks and a Michelin wire. And none since.

I'm probably due.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-16-21, 01:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

People that know bike mechanics do not wax their chains they oil them. Chain are a machine not a floor.
"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 01:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have yet to take my bike to a bike shop and be asked which wrench I want working on it.

Old 09-16-21, 01:35 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yup. I spend a lot of time in areas where my phone is an expensive brick.

1985: What’s a “cell” phone? Oh, you mean the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X? That cost $4000 then and had a battery life of 60 minutes, weighed nearly 2 lbs, and took 10 hours to charge? Nope. Didn’t have one.

Even though this is close to Breckenridge, no service.

I’d have to drive 20 miles to the west or north but about 100 miles to the south or east to get a signal.

This is that 20 miles to the west (closer to 30). And I could only get a signal if I climbed up to the top of a specific hill. Every where else the phone is a brick. It’s not even as useful as a brick. A brick could at least be used as a hammer.

Just nope. Not for about 50 miles.

If it ain’t in my head or in my pack, it’s not likely to get fixed and I’m in for a bit of walking.

This goes with me just about everywhere I go…backcountry or in town
Really diggin that easy link tool with the storage for spare links !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-16-21, 01:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"
I heard both Hammer and Clif are working on maltodextrin-based chain lubes.
Old 09-16-21, 01:40 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yup. I spend a lot of time in areas where my phone is an expensive brick.

1985: What’s a “cell” phone? Oh, you mean the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X? That cost $4000 then and had a battery life of 60 minutes, weighed nearly 2 lbs, and took 10 hours to charge? Nope. Didn’t have one.
Snip>>>

If it ain’t in my head or in my pack, it’s not likely to get fixed and I’m in for a bit of walking.

This goes with me just about everywhere I go…backcountry or in town
Who makes that small combo kit with the blue wrench and black pouch? I like the 2 hex tool handles that look like die holders in the center. Nice, small and very compact.
Old 09-16-21, 01:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I heard both Hammer and Clif are working on maltodextrin-based chain lubes.
The chain lube that really sticks to your chain, AND your ribs!

Old 09-16-21, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The people I'm talking about are racking up hundreds of miles per day, day in, day out. Amanda Coker used this technique to smash the year record--the same 7 mile loop, again and again and again for 235 miles per day. https://gearjunkie.com/news/amanda-c...mileage-record

The advantage is obvious--when something goes wrong, it's just a quick walk back home to get the back-up bike, eat, rest up, whatever. Also, you can take bigger risks of riding in foul weather because you can easily bail if it gets too bad. Every time you increase the circumference of that circle, you're increasing the likelihood of extended down time when that is your primary enemy to setting the record..

As for efficiency, the question would be "efficiency for what?" Remember, I was just answering someone who said it was impossible to do extensive riding and stay within a couple of miles from home--I'm just giving the most extreme example. It would be terribly inefficient for me to rack up miles this way because I'd stop doing it out of sheer boredom.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-16-21 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-16-21, 01:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
The people I'm talking about are racking up hundreds of miles per day, day in, day out. Amanda Coker used this technique to smash the year record--the same 7 mile loop, again and again and again for 235 miles per day. https://gearjunkie.com/news/amanda-c...mileage-record

The advantage is obvious--when something goes wrong, it's just a quick walk back home to get the back-up bike, eat, rest up, whatever. Also, you can take bigger risks of riding in foul weather because you can easily bail if it gets too bad. Every time you increase the circumference of that circle, you're increasing the likelihood of extended down time when that is your primary enemy to setting the record..
Oh, you meant distance records as in setting distance records compared to anyone anywhere. I figured you were referring to people setting their own records, like PRs. If I ride a few thousand miles in a year, thats good. She rode that in less than 2 weeks.
Time for me to look into something like shuffleboard.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-16-21, 02:16 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Is it more efficient or just that if something happens you are closer to home in an emergency breakdown?
Old 09-16-21, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Oh, you meant distance records as in setting distance records compared to anyone anywhere. I figured you were referring to people setting their own records, like PRs. If I ride a few thousand miles in a year, thats good. She rode that in less than 2 weeks.
Time for me to look into something like shuffleboard.

Amanda Coker is sui generis. I don't think that record is ever getting broken.
Old 09-16-21, 02:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

As for efficiency, the question would be "efficiency for what?" Remember, I was just answering someone who said it was impossible to do extensive riding and stay within a couple of miles from home--I'm just giving the most extreme example. It would be terribly inefficient for me to rack up miles this way because I'd stop doing it out of sheer boredom.
I rode the same route a couple times a week, and the same long ride every week, but I don't like going the same segment in the same direction more than once per ride. Laps would bore me to tears.

Old 09-16-21, 03:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
People that know bike mechanics do not wax their chains they oil them. Chain are a machine not a floor.
Every one of us knows a bike mechanic, so by your logic, every one of us must oil our chains.

I hope you ride a bike better than you communicate in English.
Old 09-16-21, 03:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Yup Im 83 and ride anywhere from 15 to 35 miles every other day. Both my bike and trike have have a mirror image trunk packs of each other when it comes to tools and supplies.

BTW, since I have retired when I was 70 I have ridden approx 25,000 mile, and have never called anyone to rescue me, OR WALKED HOME. OTOH I have stopped and assisted countless riders that didnt have the knowledge or supplies or tools they should have had with them. To me the biggest surprise is that my 6" crescent wrench is the tool most used to help people out of their problem.
Well, we are all so proud of you.

I have NEVER called for a ride.

I got a ride three time in over 50 years .... once in an ambulance, once by the guy who ran a stop sign, causing a crash which destroyed my right shoulder, and once from a riding partner when I crashed at the bottom of a steep, rocky hill on an MTB. Luckily there was a road about 20 yards away, and about three minutes walk to the car-park. (I was not able to make the normally three-minute walk in under about three hours due to injuries, so asking him to get the car made more sense to me ... )

I have walked home because unless you carry spare BBs, spare wheels, spare rim strips, and spare tires ..... I don't see how you can boot a several-inch tear in a tire with a crescent wrench.

Whatever.

I don't come here to brag, not to put down other people. So ... we are not that similar after all, despite both being old and cranky and liking to ride.

Keep on riding ... and don't be afraid to grow as a person.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-16-21, 05:20 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
quantum physics
what is that or light years
worm holes
black holes
​​​how if you hold in your flatus it will eventually come out your mouth.....
Old 09-16-21, 05:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
I was wondering what happened to @rydabent. It used to be that every four months or so he would start a thread about cycling wear, or diamond-frame bikes, or a couple other silly topics ....
IIRC, he explained once that he repeats these threads as a public service for new BF members, folks who may not have been around for a previous cycle.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-16-21, 06:02 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 239 Posts
I carry a multitool, and every couple of years, I end up using it roadside. I think that makes it worth carrying because it's so small.

Wish I could say I've not had any flats this year, but I've done a little bit more riding than you, so you may catch up on flats this year yet. I hope not, though, that's a really great streak you got going there.
All I can say is, Schwalbe Marathon tires are well worth every penny. Bought a pair in March. Super durable, good grip, and smooth rolling. Can't ask for anything more from a tire.
Old 09-19-21, 07:22 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The smaller loop, the more control you have over things like traffic controls and terrain; the bigger the loop, the more difficult it'll be to exclude those negative factors. I've been looking for a clean, 25-33 mile loop for a *****-and-giggles sub-5 solo century and, even in the sticks, it's not easy to come by.
Sounds like a good strategy if you can find the route you are looking for.

I'm planning on doing my first century next June. I'll be 57 by then and just having a safe, smart way to train for it is important to me. The ride I am planning on doing has well equipped rest stops approximately every 15 miles. I have a 16 mile loop I ride from my house that I often ride and I'm planning on riding it for my long rides during training. The distance between rests will be similar, I can do the rests from my own home without carrying gels or other fuel and I'll have a clean rest room. The climbs on my 16 mile loop will be more challenging, but hills make one stronger so if all goes according to plan, I will only be disappointed by the Porta-Potties on the actual century.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-19-21, 07:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have latex tubes so after 2 days they will drop 5-10ps. I top them up everytime I ride.

Sine 99% of my rides are on Long Island, I only need a multi tool and able to fix a flat on my rides. In 30,000 miles i've never not made it home under my own power. I do carry a cell phone and have my AAA membership number and the Uber app if I ever needed ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.