Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling bag

Old 09-17-21, 09:49 AM
robkyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cycling bag

I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c of COVID I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-21, 10:03 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
You can fit what you've listed in regular bike jersey pockets. That's why they exist. But if you are one of those opposed to wearing clothes meant for cycling when cycling, then something like a hip pack (aka fanny pack, European carryall) or bar bag would work. I wouldn't recommend anything worn over the shoulders unless it were extremely light.
Old 09-17-21, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Organized tour or just you and maybe some friends?

Organized tours many times have a sag wagon that will take a bag or two ahead to the next destination.

For the stuff you are wanting to carry, I've got an couple empty back pockets I could use for them. Don't you?
Old 09-17-21, 10:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Any light-duty knapsack should work. A fanny pack might cut into your midsection depending on how you are built, but i have seen people ride with them (I couldn't even when I was thin, but I am not representative of any group with more than one member.)

I would do a bar bag personally. I don't like carrying things on my body. But whatever .... it's your ride.
Old 09-17-21, 10:30 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Maybe a small sling-type bag? I got a pretty good Timbuk2 one for cheap.
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-17-21, 10:32 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?
A Camelbak with a pocket would allow you to properly stay hydrated.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-17-21, 11:52 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
HYdration Back pack - 10-12 L, would do easily, narrower style so you have free shoulder movement, sternum strap, and a 'waist' strap is also good to keep any load from shifting. You can always snug and tie up a waist strap when and if you don;t wish to use.
something with good back pads or other method to allow back to vent.
many have a loop to attach a tail light.
I use an Outdoor Products Iceberg - 20 yrs old - a bit different than the newer model, but similar. Mine is closer to body than newer version.
cinches up well to keep load controlled and close to body
Comes with 2 L hydration bladder - I can use without filling or fill as much and as little as I think I might want.
not fancy - very reasonable cost , $35 ish and when on sale $25 ish ??? - durable to say the least - hydration bladder & hose/mouthpiece are basic, but work well.
replaced original hydration bladder & hose about 8 yrs ago... still goin strong. I use it about 2x a week, whenever I hike or ride MTB into the Local back country...
have a hip pack, but rarely use cause I don;t have enough 'butt shelf' to stop it from sliding down, and the waist strap needs to be super tight.
I've seen some nice Camelbaks, not that familiar with models - my pack might outlive me ! LOL !
Plenty of similar other brands/models out there... go shopping !
I did just get this : Waist pack with Shoulder straps , to try for XC skiing this winter. chinese made... worth the test... for carrying just a ski toque, snack bars, .5L water bottle and a very light wind shell, gonna be tight fit... not used yet... may try for cycling next Spring/summer.
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-17-21, 12:40 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Any light-duty knapsack should work. A fanny pack might cut into your midsection depending on how you are built, but i have seen people ride with them (I couldn't even when I was thin, but I am not representative of any group with more than one member.)

I would do a bar bag personally. I don't like carrying things on my body. But whatever .... it's your ride.
Did you not read the advice above - CARRY IT ON YOUR BODY! That's what your body, ahem, pockets are for! I personally don't like anything touching my snot rag which is what, at least, one of my pockets is for.
Old 09-17-21, 12:50 PM
A632

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bontrager have a range of 'seat packs', small, medium and large (small has a nice quick-release system). Maybe an import for you though? Having used the small and medium can highly recommend. [size=13px] [/size]

Old 09-17-21, 01:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by kahn
Did you not read the advice above - CARRY IT ON YOUR BODY! That's what your body, ahem, pockets are for! I personally don't like anything touching my snot rag which is what, at least, one of my pockets is for.
Um .... yeash .... if I had known you were the Stephen Hawking osf toting stuff ...

The guy asks about a bag. Maybe he wants advice .... about a bag? How could we possibly know?

I carry some stuff in my jersey pockets---not all of my jerseys, have big pockets, though, and we don't even know if he rides in a jersey or a t-shirt or what.

I would rather carry some light stuff in my jersey--stuff I might need on the way---but I do Not like wearing a knapsack, which this guy was considering, so I helped him with what he wanted (a concept apparently foreign to you) and offered him alternatives---Different Alternatives than were already offered, because why repeat?

But since you Know the right way to do things .... I won't bother with you further.

I cannot wait to tell everyone I met the Stephen Hawking of carrying stuff on bikes!
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-17-21, 01:15 PM
kahn

Um .... yeash .... if I had known you were the Stephen Hawking osf toting stuff ...

The guy asks about a bag. Maybe he wants advice .... about a bag? How could we possibly know?

I carry some stuff in my jersey pockets---not all of my jerseys, have big pockets, though, and we don't even know if he rides in a jersey or a t-shirt or what.

I would rather carry some light stuff in my jersey--stuff I might need on the way---but I do Not like wearing a knapsack, which this guy was considering, so I helped him with what he wanted (a concept apparently foreign to you) and offered him alternatives---Different Alternatives than were already offered, because why repeat?

But since you Know the right way to do things .... I won't bother with you further.

I cannot wait to tell everyone I met the Stephen Hawking of carrying stuff on bikes!
I guess my tongue was not firmly in my cheek.........
Old 09-17-21, 01:19 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
I've successfully used a fanny pack on longer rides where I wanted a few extra things. I have it just loose enough so it hangs around my waist without any pressure, and it seems to hold up high enough on my waist while in the normal slightly-bent-over riding position on a drop bar road bike. Works for me. I've also got a large seat bag from Banjo Bros that expands/contracts based on what I'm carrying.
Old 09-17-21, 01:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
handlebar bag.
saddle wedge bag.

pick one, then find the size you need. Neither need to be a big bag on the bike, so you neednt worry about that.
Old 09-17-21, 01:50 PM
Maelochs

I guess my tongue was not firmly in my cheek.........
Well, sometimes my head is stuck firmly in my ...... cheeks, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks Stephen.
Old 09-17-21, 01:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Any good quality small backpack is good for carrying stuff...Camelback is ideal because you also get a hydration system with it.
Old 09-17-21, 01:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’ve used a Mountainsmith lumbar pack (like a big fanny pack) as a commuter bag, in lieu of a dedicated bike pack, or a two-strap backpack. I wore it a little higher than I would for hiking, at the waist, rather than on the hips, so when you’re leaning forward on the bike, it rides on your mid-back, rather than on your tail.

There are a number of cross-body bags in the EDC (Every Day Carry) space that might work as well. Smaller than a classic Messenger Bag, they wear at or below the shoulder blades, but you can still get them around to the front for easy access. Some of them are pretty low-key, or you can go ’Tacti-cool’ if that’s your thing
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-17-21, 02:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by robkyle
I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c of COVID I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?
I'd just put those in jersey pockets. All that will fit, plus phone, food, arm warmers, etc.
Old 09-17-21, 03:26 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Burrito bag
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-17-21, 03:26 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Chrome Kadet or Mini Kadet (below):

Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-17-21, 08:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 900 Posts
I'll second the Burrito Bag.

Likes For Korina:
Old 09-17-21, 08:59 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Chrome Kadet or Mini Kadet (below):

Worst
Idea
Ever
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 09-17-21, 09:05 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Worst
Idea
Ever

I have the slightly larger version and quite like it. Ever tried one?
Old 09-17-21, 09:20 PM
teejaywhy

OP asked about a backpack.

12-18 LTR size recommended for biking. Most will accept a water bladder. (BONUS!)
Camelback - easy to find - I have the MULE. 12 ltr (?)
Osprey - my favorite, not just for biking, my smallest is the Escapist 18
REI - Their house brand is a good value
Old 09-17-21, 09:22 PM
teejaywhy

Originally Posted by Rolla
I have the slightly larger version and quite like it. Ever tried one?
Riding a bike?

I have not tried one, It looks clumsy.
Old 09-17-21, 10:39 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by Korina
I'll second the Burrito Bag.

I third it. Got the smallest one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.