Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling bag

Old 09-21-21, 10:03 AM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I don't know if this is close to what you're looking for, but it works for me. They supposedly have a lifetime, no fault, guarantee.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...PTOR10S19.html
Old 09-21-21, 02:21 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Burrito bag
Not really what the OP is looking for, but I like that suggestion. Thanks! 😊

Otto
Old 09-21-21, 02:46 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It just seems like MASSIVE overkill for what the OP was asking to carry while cycling.
He specifically asked for recommendations for a "mussette or a small backpack." The Kadet fits that description.

For road riding I wouldn't even consider loading up a backpack.
How helpful.
Old 09-21-21, 04:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
He specifically asked for recommendations for a "mussette or a small backpack." The Kadet fits that description.
You are absolutely right. But I wouldn’t call that thing a small backpack. He listed the tiny items he wanted to put in it too. But yeah whatever, I guess the OP can work this one out.
Old 09-29-21, 07:30 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Looks like Crumpler might be in some financial difficulties right now. May not be around much longer.
If anyone is interested in taking a look at their website, they’re having a big clearance sale right now.
Old 09-30-21, 05:41 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
I agree for the burrito bag.
i got one from eBay for 11$ (payed half with a coupon), i reinforced the straps holder with the help of a seamstress. The straps holder now are pretty resistant but for a better security I'll wrap two additional Velcro straps externally to have more support on the handlebar.

My best friend bought 3 types and he was disappointed to all of them , i buyer only this bag and I'm fully satisfied.
(i'am talking about the top tube bag , and the bag under the saddle. Mostly he was complaining about the accessibility and for the top tube bag about hitting with the knee while pedaling off saddle)

For now i used the bag in the photo beloew for two middle/long routes (first 112miles and then 75miles off road). I used mainly for food , insect repellent , money and some emergency stuff.
i can take everything whiteout stopping or getting out of the sadthe, plus when the food is gone the space will be always an extra for the phone or kway. My pocket on my jersey are almost empty , but leaving out the comfort itself the eastetics of not having a bulky pockets like my friends have is awesome.

​​​​​
Old 09-30-21, 05:55 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I wonder if some of the peeps in this thread wearing bags strapped over their necks are also wearing spandex overalls because of the supposed discomfort caused by regular bike shorts
Old 09-30-21, 07:43 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Agreed, we can tell the OP that a trash bag slung over his back is the way to go, but that doesn't make it a good suggestion.

So you think in 53 years I've never owned a shoulder bag? Sure. It just seems like MASSIVE overkill for what the OP was asking to carry while cycling. That's all. And if I was going to ride with a backpack, I would go for something like a Camelbak with symmetrical shoulder straps, rather than off one shoulder. But having used Camelbaks for years trail riding, I found that I preferred to use a bottle cage and take all the load off my back. For road riding I wouldn't even consider loading up a backpack.

Anyway your suggestion actually looks almost sensible next to the other one, LOL
Old 09-30-21, 08:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I wonder if some of the peeps in this thread wearing bags strapped over their necks are also wearing spandex overalls because of the supposed discomfort caused by regular bike shorts
I wonder if your wonder is in any way a good point.
Old 09-30-21, 08:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I wonder if you think I care about your opinion of my posts
Old 09-30-21, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

The point was to get a reaction out of someone, so i guess it worked for him. It's his usual trolling MO, implied "criticism" of people on the thread for really weird reasons without naming names. I can't see why anyone wouldn't understand that we're all different in what combinations of gear we find comfortable, "comfort" being nearly totally subjective. I guess I'd question the sincerity or sanity of someone who claimed they found riding with broken glass sticking out of their saddle comfortable, but otherwise, just because something would or wouldn't bug me doesn't make me think they're somehow wrong in choosing what works for them.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-30-21 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-30-21, 09:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

He listed the tiny items he wanted to put in it too.
He didn't say how big his "etc." was. If he's like me, that's probably the largest item.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 09-30-21, 09:45 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Warbird21
Agreed, we can tell the OP that a trash bag slung over his back is the way to go, but that doesn't make it a good suggestion.
Yeah, it just seemed obvious it was a poor solution. But hey, it ain't my neck that has to suffer it!
Old 09-30-21, 09:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
He didn't say how big his "etc." was. If he's like me, that's probably the largest item.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I bet you wouldn't do your century rides with one of those bags slung around your neck though! Or would you?!
Old 09-30-21, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I bet you wouldn't do your century rides with one of those bags slung around your neck though! Or would you?!

Oh hell no. I'd be a 60 y.o. guy covered in zits. No one needs that.
I hate shoulder bags and backpacks on bikes, but a lot of people seem not to mind them. Since I can't tell how this stuff feels to them, why some of us hate things and others like/tolerate them is one of life's mysteries barely worth commenting on.

I have my bags strapped to the bike in one form or the other, but I really have to watch out for accumulating too much etc.
Old 10-01-21, 07:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
A case that fits in a bottle cage will fit most of your stuff, but probably not a rain jacket. Handlebar bags come in all sizes. Are you looking for something the size of a camelback pack?

Old 10-05-21, 08:04 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
If you buy a messenger bag, make sure to get one with a front strap to keep it from sliding around. I know this from experience. Mine sucks even on my little 6 mile commute to work.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.