Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pannier Rack for Carbon Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-18-21, 09:27 AM
raihaan9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

After some advice. I will doing a 2 day ride (Devon Coast to Coast) in a few weeks. I have a Cannondale Evosix Carbon frame bike without eyelets to mount a pannier rack.
I consulted with my local bike shop as I have seen mounts that connect to the rear axle mounts or aftermarket Thule mounts that connect to the frame. They advised I shouldn't use this as it will put too much load on the frame as it's Carbon.

I am looking for a solution that will enable me to mount 1 or 2 Pannier Bags with a load of no more than 15kg, most likely 10kg, Can anyone advise if the below would be suitable?

Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack (can't post a URL to it)

Not wanting to go against the advice of the local bike shop but also thinking their advice is cautious and that my frame should be able to support such a solution. Thanks
Old 09-18-21, 10:07 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by raihaan9
Hi All,

After some advice. I will doing a 2 day ride (Devon Coast to Coast) in a few weeks. I have a Cannondale Evosix Carbon frame bike without eyelets to mount a pannier rack.
I consulted with my local bike shop as I have seen mounts that connect to the rear axle mounts or aftermarket Thule mounts that connect to the frame. They advised I shouldn't use this as it will put too much load on the frame as it's Carbon.

I am looking for a solution that will enable me to mount 1 or 2 Pannier Bags with a load of no more than 15kg, most likely 10kg, Can anyone advise if the below would be suitable?

Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack (can't post a URL to it)

Not wanting to go against the advice of the local bike shop but also thinking their advice is cautious and that my frame should be able to support such a solution. Thanks
They, manufacturers, may be cautious. Until I got my carbon bike, I had always used a rack. I have a Trek Madone and really did not like a backpack - even a light one. This is a number of years ago, but I contacted them and spoke with a Rep. She was fairly adamant that I not add a rack. She suggested I could use a seat post attached rack after replacing the carbon fiber post with steel and then still limit the weight to not more than about 10 pounds (4.5kg).

I really don't know if these limitations still apply to the more modern carbon bikes.
Old 09-18-21, 10:21 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
For light touring on a light bike, you might consider bikepacking bags instead of rack/panniers.

There's also the Tailfin rack/system. https://www.tailfin.cc/

Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-18-21, 10:29 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Axiom makes a rack which attaches to your QR Skewers and you can replace your seatpost clamp with one that accepts rack mounts. Salsa also makes a adapter which clamps to your seatpost for rack mount.

Tailfin is a awesome solution and would be my choice although a bit more expensive.

There are lots of solutions you could find online best to research for yourself. This is not a big deal and has been done by thousands before you. Putting this to BF will expose you to all sorts of mayhem ranging from you are on a one way death mission to buy some gear clamps and crank away. Good luck.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-18-21 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-18-21, 11:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
The benefit of CF--You can drill eyelets in dropouts--and mounting holes in the seat stays. Go for it
Old 09-18-21, 02:43 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
+1 for the Tailfin. They are very light and turn any CF road bike that doesn't have actual mounts into actual light touring bikes and I've even gone credit card road bikepacking with it. You do have to buy the side pannier bags, get the ultralight and not the durable ones because they are heavier. You can use normal pannier mounts but you will need to protect it from metal pannier mounts and you have to have fenders to use non Tailfins.. The ultralight mounts are neater, but I sometimes use my green guru backpack and just through a thin sheet of rubber on top of the rack and it's fine. It does sit a little higher than I prefer and my rack actually doesn't sit exactly horizontal, depending on the geometry of the frame. That's the important thing. Do your measurements if you go this route. I thought I got it right and had to get extra parts to get it near horizontal. But it's worth is and the security bolts do work since some idiot is try to pry it off my bike while it was parked unattended. The pricing is expensive for a rack, but it's light and makes a road bike semi practical, so that's something!
Originally Posted by tyrion
For light touring on a light bike, you might consider bikepacking bags instead of rack/panniers.

There's also the Tailfin rack/system. https://www.tailfin.cc/

Last edited by Sardines; 09-20-21 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-19-21, 07:17 PM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Why not a Carradice SQR system? Or one of their big "traditional" bags with Bagman support?
Old 09-22-21, 10:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Axiom makes a rack which attaches to your QR Skewers and you can replace your seatpost clamp with one that accepts rack mounts. Salsa also makes a adapter which clamps to your seatpost for rack mount.

Tailfin is a awesome solution and would be my choice although a bit more expensive.

There are lots of solutions you could find online best to research for yourself. This is not a big deal and has been done by thousands before you. Putting this to BF will expose you to all sorts of mayhem ranging from you are on a one way death mission to buy some gear clamps and crank away. Good luck.
I did exactly this for my CX bike. I don't even take it off for gravel rides. Works excellently.