Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gloves for numbness in hand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gloves for numbness in hand

Old 09-22-21, 09:47 AM
alandmor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Vibration dampening gloves on Amazon. Haven't tried them. Not cycling specific but several reviews mention cycling and that they would buy again. Maybe worth a try for $16 plus change.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHMLJUK...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 09-22-21, 10:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert

In a similar vein, pull on the handlebars. Parking weight on the ‘bar will always cause problems. If you must rest weight on hands change hand positions frequently. Mix up those position changes with episodes of pulling on the bars. Parking weight compresses joints and nerves. Pulling on the bars opens up space in the joints.
This is not me (I wish it were) but it shows my typical body/ arm/ hand position. Don’t see how pulling up will work using this position. What you say makes sense.

Another person said its a matter of fitness, don’t quite see how having strong abs would help me here either. Adopt a more upright less forward position so I can pull myself upright with my abs alone. Perhaps I am doing it all wrong. Is the guy below doing it wrong too?

Old 09-22-21, 12:20 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is not me (I wish it were) but it shows my typical body/ arm/ hand position. Don’t see how pulling up will work using this position. What you say makes sense.

Another person said its a matter of fitness, don’t quite see how having strong abs would help me here either. Adopt a more upright less forward position so I can pull myself upright with my abs alone. Perhaps I am doing it all wrong. Is the guy below doing it wrong too?

Interesting misunderstanding. The suggestion was not to pull up. Pull back on the handlebar. Pull the bar towards your core, towards the saddle. The limit on this is you will immediately start going faster. Can’t go fast all the time.

With stronger abs (and stronger spinal erectors) theoretically it would be possible to assume the position in that photo and not even touch the bars. Cyclists in general have underdeveloped abs and anything that makes them stronger helps in multiple ways.
Old 09-22-21, 01:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Any gloves will work for numbness of the hands, just tighten them enough around the wrist.
Old 09-22-21, 03:09 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 195 Posts
I find gloves help with vibration on the road or if you crash for protection. They wont' help you if you are dumping your weight into your hands and wrist. For that you just need to use your core strength to hold yourself up a little bit.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 09-25-21, 05:26 PM
alandmor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this earlier post about numb hands. Should be required reading for anyone dealing with this issue.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...umb-hands.html