Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thule Fork Mounts

Old 09-20-21, 08:25 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Thule Fork Mounts

I have two(2) Thule Velo Vise long trays that I use to transport road and mountain bicycles on the roof. I have always installed them front facing, thinking that should be more aerodynamic, but recently I have started thinking that the 2 bicycles should be installed in opposite directions? Seems this would offer better weight balancing on the load bars and gives you the ability to have both cranksets facing inboard or both cranksets facing outboard if either is desirable.

What do others do, think about this.
Old 09-20-21, 11:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,366 Times in 2,798 Posts
Mine always faced forward, but have seen them mounted both ways. As far as aero, don’t think it makes much difference. Load balancing is most important on airplanes. Got a real quick intro to it at a Seattle based carrier.

Old 09-21-21, 05:53 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
If there's room, I mount them facing forward. No particular reason, though if you use one of those fabric covers then they normally cover the handlebars and fork and are obviously intended to be used with the bike facing forward on the roof rack.
If I'm carrying many (> 3) bikes, I load them facing alternately forward and backward, so there is more room on the load bars for the trays and the handlebars are not bumping each other.
Old 09-21-21, 02:26 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Thanks. There may be a point where I carry 3 bicycles. I did years ago. At that point, I think it would make sense to face the outside trays forward and the middle tray facing backward. That configuration would probably help with the positioning of the front wheel carriers.