Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Platform hitch racks: Saris vs Thule vs....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Platform hitch racks: Saris vs Thule vs....

Old 09-22-21, 10:21 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Not sure what a kick switch is. There is a lever at the junction where the rack can pivot. You lift the rack with one hand to take weight off the lever area and pull the lever with your other hand to allow the rack to pivot up for storage or down when loaded to access the vehicle's tailgate.
I once went in a car with someone who's got a rack that has a kick switch for tilt. So you get to use both hands to hold the bikes then kick the switch! At first I thought it's just gimmick. But having done the tilting a few times with the Saris, I'm beginning to see the point.
Old 09-22-21, 10:30 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sure the 1up is a great rack, the last you will ever buy but it is heavy which might be of concern. Currently I have the Thule Helium Platform rack and I quite like it. The best feature is that it is light, even my wife can install it without a problem. Taking it on an off is a breeze. One thing you may not like about it is that it sounds as if it has the same design as your Saris when it comes to 1.25 and 2" receivers. The only hitch that will fit my car is a 1.25 so my choices were limited. With that said I have had no problem with the rack. It has a weight limit that isn't great but fits my needs just fine. I believe it is around 35 lbs per bike.

Putting a bike on takes less than 15 seconds which is nothing. It is a similar design as the 1up. The other thing I like about this rack is that it can take the bikes that I own. Front racks can be a problem for certain racks like the Sherpa. It handles my carbon bike safely because it doesn't clamp to the frame but holds the wheels.

As for the comments that talk about risk of accident, well, I really don't care, that is what insurance is for. It's just a bike it can be replaced.

This rack isn't for everyone. The Kuat discussed above is a great rack, the Iup is clear winner. The Thule Helium is for that person who is taking the rack off and on all the time and where weight is consideration. The tilt feature is low and on the underside and it is activated by hand. I use it occasionally when carry wider bar bikes, for road bikes no problem. When I was looking for a rack I really wanted the 1up but availability was and still is an issue, so if you can wait it out it might be a contender.
Old 09-22-21, 10:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by atnyc
I once went in a car with someone who's got a rack that has a kick switch for tilt. So you get to use both hands to hold the bikes then kick the switch! At first I thought it's just gimmick. But having done the tilting a few times with the Saris, I'm beginning to see the point.
Gotcha. Thats an interesting design. I have used the tilt down feature about 5 times in over half a decade, so it just hasnt come up frequently. And when the rack is unloaded, its simple to tilt upwards so I really dont care where the switch/lever is for those instances.
Old 09-22-21, 11:00 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9439 Post(s)
Liked 6,236 Times in 3,436 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Damn, I did not know they made that DOCK. Looks neat although they suggest it not be mounted more than two feet from the floor. My garage has four+ feet tall concreate walls making that hard to accomplish and since it is below ground level, I'm not drilling into it. But I have already created my own DOCK. I've mounted two 2x4 studs crosswise across the wall studs with space for the hitch to slide between them. Nowhere near as secure at the Kuat Dock and my system already violates the two feet above floor suggestion. But one more bike related item on the list!
I don't know why you couldn't put the dock more than 2' off the ground. They probably don't want the litigation risk of a rack falling on someone's head.

If you bolt it into the studs like they recommend, I can't see it going anywhere unless you over load it.

One nice thing about the dock is that you can lock the rack to it. I do that since it is mounted right next to my garage door.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-22-21, 11:17 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I don't know why you couldn't put the dock more than 2' off the ground. They probably don't want the litigation risk of a rack falling on someone's head.

If you bolt it into the studs like they recommend, I can't see it going anywhere unless you over load it.

One nice thing about the dock is that you can lock the rack to it. I do that since it is mounted right next to my garage door.
Thanks for the answer. That is what I suspected. Ordered. It will be more secure than my system as the knob will secure it in place. I already have to lift the rack and this dock will actually be at least 4 inches lower. In my current system I have it upsidedown and I keep my toes set back a bit (g)

I did like some of the questions: Can I put bikes on it while on the wall??? Getting a bit heavy, no. And actually, for me that is not an option as the garage is detached and about 40 feet from the side of the house - insecure and no bikes stored in there!
Old 09-22-21, 11:26 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
Thanks for the answer. That is what I suspected. Ordered. It will be more secure than my system as the knob will secure it in place. I already have to lift the rack and this dock will actually be at least 4 inches lower. In my current system I have it upsidedown and I keep my toes set back a bit (g)

I did like some of the questions: Can I put bikes on it while on the wall??? Getting a bit heavy, no. And actually, for me that is not an option as the garage is detached and about 40 feet from the side of the house - insecure and no bikes stored in there!
I have a ten year old Thule 2 bike rack. Yes, it's heavy, but that oly affects me when I install it or remove it, which I only do twice a year generally. Once to install it, then once to remove it once the weather gets bad.

You can adjust the bars that hold the wheel cups back and forth to fit your bikes better.

As for tilting, I simply pull up slightly on the main support to take the weight off the mechanism, then hit the lever, and lower the rack. It's easy. It also helps to keep the release lubed.
Old 09-22-21, 11:40 AM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really dig my Kuat NV (not the newer 2.0 model, but I'm sure that one is also awesome). They are a little pricey, but they are rock solid and have fantastic customer service if you ever have an issue. Good people over there at Kuat for sure.
Old 09-22-21, 12:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

No reason you can't hang the rack upside down from the dock. You don't even have to use the knob to tighten it. You could just use the hitch pin (with or without the lock) to keep it from sliding out.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-22-21, 12:15 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 76 Posts
I have a 4 place Swagman that suits me well.
Fully adjustable as to bike position back and forth.
I haven't heard any creaking
It can be used as a two place or four by removing one section.
I like it.
Old 09-22-21, 12:26 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Another Sherpa lover here! The guys at my bike shop suggested that model because it's lightweight enough for me to take on and off my vehicle by myself. I can't say anything about ease of assembly because they put it together for me. (Buy local!)
You really can't go wrong with any Kuat rack - their customer service is beyond exceptional.
Likes For Rhondito:
Old 09-22-21, 01:03 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Damn, I did not know they made that DOCK. Looks neat although they suggest it not be mounted more than two feet from the floor. My garage has four+ feet tall concreate walls making that hard to accomplish and since it is below ground level, I'm not drilling into it. But I have already created my own DOCK. I've mounted two 2x4 studs crosswise across the wall studs with space for the hitch to slide between them. Nowhere near as secure at the Kuat Dock and my system already violates the two feet above floor suggestion. But one more bike related item on the list!
There's all sorta of wall mount storage options for hitch-mount bicycle racks. Mine just sorta lean up against the wall for now, but "one of these days..."

https://www.rackattack.com/other-pro...ke-rack-stand/
https://booneoutdoorhardware.com/pro.../rack-storage/
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rack-stash/
Old 09-22-21, 01:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

The Kuat is prettier though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rackdock-combined-1.jpg (374.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg
rackdock-combined-1.jpg (374.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-22-21, 03:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Yeah, no need to fold when using my truck, but sometimes it's fun to take the convertible to where I'm meeting folks to ride and I'll sometimes put the rack in the trunk just to reduce chances of it disappearing.
I did see they now have a swing-out adapter for folks who need it such as older Rav4's and similar with side-opening rear doors. They keep making the system even more versatile. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/
Yea I like to keep the rack tucked up close to the rear bumper when not in use. I also like that when I have the rack on my truck, is has such a low profile, it does not block my reverse camera.

The swing arm is a cool idea. I know Yakima and Thule both have them. I friend has the Yakima and it has been pretty sturdy and has worked good for his needs.

Old 09-22-21, 03:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

I hang mine on these hooks after I fold them up. I have the main rack on my truck , this is the second bike attachment. It fits neatly between my tool box\work bench on the wall.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-23-21, 02:02 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I have the Thule Classic T2. It's a brute but works well and reliable.

I needed a 3 bike rack now that my kid is older and came across the Kaut Transfer. Transfer Hitch Rack | Küat Racks | Bike Racks
It is pretty cheap compared to the Sherpa and to be honest i like it as much as the T2. Also it has a foot release to raise or lower.
Old 09-23-21, 04:06 PM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts

Another happy 1Up owner here.
Old 09-23-21, 05:17 PM
prooney343

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7 Expert, 2021 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love my 1up……… cant beat it!
Old 09-24-21, 09:37 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
My experience says that the Kuat Sherpa is an exceptionally well-designed piece of equipment. It works well and is very easy to operate. It's one of the lightest as well.
Old 09-24-21, 10:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,010 Posts
I must add That I recently spoke to a Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) officer. He said there may soon be a law in multiple states against obscuring the rear license plate in any way. This will be a big thing for allot of trailer hitch attachments. So much so I would not likely invest allot of money into a device that may obscure the rear license plate. Of course there is probably a way to mount the license plate to make it more visible... Just an engineering problem?
Old 11-14-21, 08:31 PM
PNWgarageDad

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback! I just ordered the 1up.
Likes For PNWgarageDad:
Old 11-14-21, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I must add That I recently spoke to a Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) officer. He said there may soon be a law in multiple states against obscuring the rear license plate in any way. This will be a big thing for allot of trailer hitch attachments. So much so I would not likely invest allot of money into a device that may obscure the rear license plate. Of course there is probably a way to mount the license plate to make it more visible... Just an engineering problem?
My plate is completely obscured whether the rack is folded up or deployed. I have been waiting for months to ‘have a conversation’ with law enforcement but they evidently have bigger fish to fry. Perhaps if I pushed the limit and got cited, the plate would be a secondary infraction. Will be driving across two states in a couple of months so I will see if there are different levels of tolerance.

But to address the thread - I have a SARIS. It works OK but would not recommend it. Their customer support is MIA.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-14-21, 09:31 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by zandoval

Yea I have always wondered about that myself, but while my 1Up completely blocks my plate, but I have never had any issues with the police. In fact I had a highway patrol behind me today for about 15 miles when I was traveling down a back country 2 lane road. I do know that 1Up sells a plate holder if it becomes a problem that I had to deal with. The only time I take my off the truck is if I want to run the truck through the car wash, they won't let me go through with it on the back.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-14-21, 09:35 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by PNWgarageDad
Thanks for the great feedback! I just ordered the 1up.
Good deal, they are a really nice rack.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-15-21, 08:45 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My plate is completely obscured whether the rack is folded up or deployed. I have been waiting for months to ‘have a conversation’ with law enforcement but they evidently have bigger fish to fry. Perhaps if I pushed the limit and got cited, the plate would be a secondary infraction. Will be driving across two states in a couple of months so I will see if there are different levels of tolerance.

But to address the thread - I have a SARIS. It works OK but would not recommend it. Their customer support is MIA.
That's my experience as well in multiple southeast US states. As you say they likely have better revenue opportunities other fish to fry.

I will add that the after sale customer support from 1UP USA has been fantastic, very quick to respond to questions I've had.

They also have a license plate holder attachment should one truly need one... https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/
Likes For gpburdell: