Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cell phone in jersey pocket story (got lucky)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-21-21, 05:09 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts

Thought I'd share a good luck story.

Some time ago, there was a thread about where cyclists keep their cell phone when riding. I've always been in the camp who keeps my phone in my right side jersey pocket and never had an issue.

The other day, I was on a gravel ride with one particular 4.5 mile stretch that I've been on probably 4 times. This section is closed to public car traffic - gated off so cars can't pass through. Up until this ride, I may have seen someone else maybe once or twice. Well, at around the 2 mile mark, I hit one of those sharp bumps that made me wish I wasn't sitting directly on the saddle (!!). At precisely that moment, two joggers approached me from the other direction and one yelled out "your cell phone fell out of your pocket". If we were off by 10 seconds, probably less, they wouldn't have noticed and I wouldn't have noticed until who knows when as I didn't feel it slip out of my pocket nor did I hear it hit the ground.

So, I'll probably still keep my cell phone in my jersey pocket, at least on paved rides, but my confidence has been shaken!
Likes For dennis336:
Old 09-21-21, 05:18 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I think the risk of having a phone fall out of a jersey pocket is going to heavily depend on its size (e.g. snug fit or loose fit), as well as how bumpy the ride is. I keep my phone in a Rapha large rainproof case, which then fits snugly into the pocket (and on some tighter jerseys, takes a little bit of effort to push in) so that makes it very unlikely to fly out. It probably also helps that I keep my keys, cards, mask and other personal/essential crap in there, giving the case more "fit".
Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-21-21, 05:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
What is the alternative to a jersey pocket?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-21-21, 05:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,827 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I think the risk of having a phone fall out of a jersey pocket is going to heavily depend on its size (e.g. snug fit or loose fit), as well as how bumpy the ride is. I keep my phone in a Rapha large rainproof case, which then fits snugly into the pocket (and on some tighter jerseys, takes a little bit of effort to push in) so that makes it very unlikely to fly out. It probably also helps that I keep my keys, cards, mask and other personal/essential crap in there, giving the case more "fit".
And that Rapha phone case has a rough textured finish which will keep it from sliding out of a pocket so easily.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-21-21, 06:08 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Fanny pack.
Likes For runner pat:
Old 09-21-21, 06:09 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
i have a jersey that the pocket is shallow, so I cut the inside of the jersey & added material to make it deeper. Only thing I've dumped from that jersey was a water bottle.
As long as the elastic band at the top goes over the phone, it hasn't raised any concern for the phone to pop out.
Old 09-21-21, 06:18 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
I have the Rapha case, but replaced it with a larger case made by Waterfield.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/c...cket-tool-case

The Waterfield case holds my phone, a multitool, Stans Dart, money, ID, keys, tire levers, etc. It still fits in a jersey pocket, but the size and texture make it virtually impossible to fall out. I keep it in the center pocket where it is virtually unnoticeable.

(I carry tubes in a saddle bag specific to each bike (road, mtb, or gravel). The Waterfield case is only for those things that are common to all my bikes.)
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 09-21-21, 06:20 AM
dennis336

When I do my gravel rides, I often use my Ortlieb handlebar bag. I haven't, in the past, put my phone in there (I know, having the bag and not using it for the phone doesn't make sense) since I thought it might bounce around too much (I know, the irony!). In the future, at least for gravel, I may just do that.

I also have a saddle bag on my road and gravel bike that I use for my spare tube, multi-tool, etc. I could probably fit the phone there, too.

I think the pockets of the jersey I was wearing may have been a bit more shallow, so that could have increased the risk.
Old 09-21-21, 06:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
I tuck a bandana over my phone to keep it from slipping out. So far, so good. Rubber bands work okay too. I've used rubber bands to hold my wallet in jerseys without a zipper or button pocket.

My personal policy is to keep my phone, wallet/ID, and key on my person at all times. Never in a bag on the bike. I know from being hit by cars there's no guarantee I won't be separated from the bike. And I've seen other cyclists hit the road so hard they suffered concussions and wouldn't be alert enough to ask someone to retrieve their ID, phone, etc.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-21-21, 06:41 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
I'm surprised more jersey makers aren't designing in larger, zippered pockets to hold cell phones.

I have a couple of jerseys that came with an optional, side zippered pocket that is sort of on top of the right pocket. It's very useful for holding my ID, insurance card, and a credit card/cash (just in case), and my old 3G phone used to fit - snugly. Of course, 3G is going away, so I upgraded to a 5G phone, which is much larger than my old one, and it will no longer fit the pocket. I have to carry it in one of the 'regular' pockets. It's so tall that it barely fits under the elastic top. If the road gets particularly bumpy, I carry a safety pin and will stop to pin the top of the pocket closed.

Anyone know of a jersey brand with such a large, zippered cellphone pocket? I have jerseys from Owayo, but the pocket is small (my old phone would fit.) I tried a jersey from Jakroo. The pocket is larger, but not quite large enough.

I swear, if we still had phone booths with pay phones, I'd just carry a few quarters. Come to think of it, where does Clark Kent change nowadays?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-21-21, 06:43 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by canklecat
I tuck a bandana over my phone to keep it from slipping out. So far, so good. Rubber bands work okay too. I've used rubber bands to hold my wallet in jerseys without a zipper or button pocket.

My personal policy is to keep my phone, wallet/ID, and key on my person at all times. Never in a bag on the bike. I know from being hit by cars there's no guarantee I won't be separated from the bike. And I've seen other cyclists hit the road so hard they suffered concussions and wouldn't be alert enough to ask someone to retrieve their ID, phone, etc.
Good point on not being separated from your phone. That's the way I've always chosen (in my pocket), although I did question it after this incident, at least on rough gravel. But, good point.
Old 09-21-21, 06:47 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I use a horizontal carrying pouch case on a belt.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 09-21-21, 06:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Do what the Feds do when they rig you up with a 'wire' to listen in on a private conversation...duct tape your phone to your body beneath the jersey.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-21-21, 06:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
I purchased a cheap 4G flip phone and already had a leather case for it. Fits in my middle rear jersey pockets nice and snug and heavy enough not to move.
For $25 per month I have an emergency phone and a backup just in case. My primary cell phone was recently destroyed by a software update.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-21-21, 07:05 AM
dennis336

Bald Paul ... Now that you mention it, that is a great idea and also surprised no one thought of it (that I've seen) - having a zippered pocket big enough for things like cell phones, credit cards, etc.
Old 09-21-21, 08:13 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Tactical Military Grade Cable Cell Phone Leash, Mobile Phone Safety Tether Lanyard for All Smartphones

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tactical-Military-Grade-Cable-Cell-Phone-Leash-Mobile-Phone-Safety-Tether-Lanyard-for-All-Smartphones/110095321

​​​​​​
High Grade Curly Cable. tensile strength. Extension up to 30 inches. | Attaches to any cell smart phone, camera, or other electronic device. Great for any outdoor use, prevents loss, theft or damage. | This item is popular with all lifestyles including busy moms and dads, children, hikers, rock climbers, construction workers, bikers, fisherman, executives and business people.

Last edited by msu2001la; 09-21-21 at 08:16 AM. Reason: More info
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-21-21, 08:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
I use a horizontal carrying pouch case on a belt.
So a fanny pack.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-21-21, 08:54 AM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
A couple of rubber bands around whatever you're carrying in your jersey pockets will make it less likely to slip out.
Likes For crowbike:
Old 09-21-21, 09:19 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 587 Posts
Tactical Military Grade Cable Cell Phone Leash, Mobile Phone Safety Tether Lanyard for All Smartphones

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tactical-Military-Grade-Cable-Cell-Phone-Leash-Mobile-Phone-Safety-Tether-Lanyard-for-All-Smartphones/110095321

​​​​​​
High Grade Curly Cable. tensile strength. Extension up to 30 inches. | Attaches to any cell smart phone, camera, or other electronic device. Great for any outdoor use, prevents loss, theft or damage. | This item is popular with all lifestyles including busy moms and dads, children, hikers, rock climbers, construction workers, bikers, fisherman, executives and business people.

I've got something similar to that, and it came pre-installed on the phone. A spiral-wound cable, more like a cord actually, connects the handset to the wall-mounted dial-equipped base. The whole thing is avocado green so it goes well with everything else in our 70s-era kitchen.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-21-21, 10:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
This is why I always wear earbuds when riding- Once I get 100' from my phone, they wont work and I will know I lost it.***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-21-21, 11:06 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
This is why you should play music from your phone.

When things go silent, you need to back for it.

Edit - dang it, shoulda scrolled to the end...
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-21-21, 12:00 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts
I picked up a very nice pair of cycling shorts with zippered pockets on both sides (though that wasn't the primary reason for getting them) several months back. Phone fits just fine in them. I have a relatively small smart phone, but the pockets are quite roomy so I imagine any modern phone will fit in them. I don't even notice the phone there after a few minutes into a ride. If I'm commuting to work, I'll have my backpack and that's where the phone goes on those days.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 09-21-21, 12:06 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Bald Paul ... Now that you mention it, that is a great idea and also surprised no one thought of it (that I've seen) - having a zippered pocket big enough for things like cell phones, credit cards, etc.
This is the zippered pocket on my Owayo jersey. It fits my wallet nicely. I would love to have a second, larger one on the left side for the phone. Maybe I'll contact them and make a suggestion.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-21-21, 12:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
not that I've bothered, but couldn't you just put some self-adhesive velco material inside the pocket, and other half on your phone case?
For myself, I put the phone in lengthwise, and once in the pocket, twist it horizontal, so it ends up being wider than the pocket's mouth.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-21-21, 12:10 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
…Come to think of it, where does Clark Kent change nowadays?
Starbucks.

I keep valuables in side jersey pockets. The nose of the saddle sometimes lifts items in the middle pocket when I stop.
Likes For flangehead:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.